Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

time to move over to gdlauncher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

wait wtf, overwolf tried to install some invasive rear end poo poo when i tried to install some path of exile trade macros and now they're in minecraft too? what is this garbage

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Ah cool we're going back to thinly-veiled malware

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Is it time to abandon twitch launcher and go back to technic launcher?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

It's time to abandon Twitch and use GDLauncher.

E: Note that Overwolf claims the CurseForge app will be standalone, but then the FAQ says it will be "in Overwolf". So you'll need to install Overwolf to access the dedicated, not standalone, Overwolf app for CurseForge.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 23, 2020

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I don't know if this is just me having weird conspiracy thoughts at work, but I think this was a much more reactive selling than any long term plan.

MS just shut down Mixer, it's direct competitor to Twitch off its abysmal growth rates (they gained 0.2%YoY growth in viewers compared to Twitchs own 82%, Facebook's ~300% and YouTube's 110%, basically got Ninjas hardcore crown and like nobody else at all). Twitch is also now dealing with just an avalanche of its higher end partners getting repeatedly outed as sex pests or worse and there's points to be made of Twitch covering for their behaviour.

Combined with the fact MS has probably wanted to bring modding back under its sway for a while but didn't because Curse was on good terms or Twitch because they could immediately cry antitrust and with Amazon cash easily could tie their rear end in Cort for eternity, and ms for the next little while has no streamers or public sexpest figures and can win a pr war.. That and modded is starting to be the bigger attraction for watchers over vanilla if I'm not mistaken.

Simply put I think MS decided that mixer needed to die, and Twitch had to have some idea of viewer comparisons and the likelihood, and the two problems led them and Amazon to look at owning a mod repository for it as future dead weight and firesaled it to get something instead of nothing.

I think Overwolf just paid to be a sacrificial lamb.

The easiest signs that this more than conjecture is MS getting the "give mojang acct with Java version, get free or super discounted C# version" promotion back up, an announcement of an actual mod API for C# MC, or the most damning, an announcement along the lines of "Java MC to stop receiving updates after 1.17" or whatever.

I dunno, these are weird things I think on 3rd shift dockwork.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I uh, don't understand that post very well. You're saying MS got rid of Mixer, and that prompted Twitch to sell off curseforge because... why?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah I'm sorry dude but your post is incomprehensible

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
They're saying that because MS got rid of mixer, putting the screws on curseforge, whoever it belongs to, is less vulnerable to antitrust problems
Twitch then decided they would rather have someone else own curseforge while the screws were getting put on it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Uh, right. God forbid any one company has a monopoly on its own game's mods.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ey, so uh the nether update has kinda hosed up water color on my Mayan Legends texture pack. Is there uh...anything I can do to fix this or do I need to file a report?

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

dragonshardz posted:

It's time to abandon Twitch and use GDLauncher.

E: Note that Overwolf claims the CurseForge app will be standalone, but then the FAQ says it will be "in Overwolf". So you'll need to install Overwolf to access the dedicated, not standalone, Overwolf app for CurseForge.

wait, isn't Overwolf an ad-filled shitstorm product? I have a faint recollection of some other game or mod recently moving to Overwolf, and getting creamed for it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

yegods posted:

wait, isn't Overwolf an ad-filled shitstorm product? I have a faint recollection of some other game or mod recently moving to Overwolf, and getting creamed for it.

You are correct, which is why :lol: and I am definitely not touching their poo poo, ever.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

dragonshardz posted:

You are correct, which is why :lol: and I am definitely not touching their poo poo, ever.

gently caress! I actually liked the twitch mod features.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

yegods posted:

gently caress! I actually liked the twitch mod features.

Thankfully GDLauncher exists and integrates with CurseForge, so unless Overwolf decides to hyperfuck everything you'll be able to both install and create modpacks without touching Overwolf.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Curious if anyone is aware of 1.12 mods that add the following, and preferably don’t add much more.

-A tool like Ex Nihilo’s Crook, but without all the other Ex Nihilo stuff
-A tool that comes with silk touch built in. I’m imagining maybe a hammer and chisel so you’re ostensibly cutting the block out instead of just breaking it.
-Andesite, Diorite, and Granite gravel

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

runchild posted:

-Andesite, Diorite, and Granite gravel

I don't think I have ever seen these.
But wouldn't mind them either.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

OgNar posted:

I don't think I have ever seen these.
But wouldn't mind them either.

This one says it has them, but it’s only for 1.14+

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

runchild posted:

Curious if anyone is aware of 1.12 mods that add the following, and preferably don’t add much more.

-A tool like Ex Nihilo’s Crook, but without all the other Ex Nihilo stuff

Inspirations, though it adds a lot of other vanilla+ items (that can be disabled)

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I started playing Sevtech Ages and it seems cool like RLCraft in that the production processes are longer and more intricate, but also it doesn't make me pick everything up by hand and so far no dragons have murdered me from 1000 miles away so that's also very good.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

I started playing Sevtech Ages and it seems cool like RLCraft in that the production processes are longer and more intricate, but also it doesn't make me pick everything up by hand and so far no dragons have murdered me from 1000 miles away so that's also very good.

One of sevtechs greatest strengths is you will spend 0 seconds ever doing strip mining thanks to geolysis.

The weakness is your tolerance for abyssalcraft and TForest is gonna hamper your love of the second and first ages.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Sevtech is a rarity in the 'hardcore' scene in that its hardness comes entirely from the structuring of its age system and way it interconnects mods instead of enemies. Abyssalcraft still sucks, of course, but you also do most of it after you have access to Astral Sorcery which turns you into a god with full flight and other perks.

For twilight forest / swamp place I can't remember the name of you also have access to the climbing gloves, slime sling, and slime boots at the time which lets you travel incredibly fast and skip all the dumb towers and their puzzles.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Rynoto posted:

Sevtech is a rarity in the 'hardcore' scene in that its hardness comes entirely from the structuring of its age system and way it interconnects mods instead of enemies. Abyssalcraft still sucks, of course, but you also do most of it after you have access to Astral Sorcery which turns you into a god with full flight and other perks.

For twilight forest / swamp place I can't remember the name of you also have access to the climbing gloves, slime sling, and slime boots at the time which lets you travel incredibly fast and skip all the dumb towers and their puzzles.

Swamp place would be the betweenlands, which you can also do with Astral Sorcery flight.

I don’t even remember if you had to actually do more of abyssalcraft after doing the part to make the deep dark portal.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Maguoob posted:

Swamp place would be the betweenlands, which you can also do with Astral Sorcery flight.

I don’t even remember if you had to actually do more of abyssalcraft after doing the part to make the deep dark portal.

I don't think you do. Apparently you can get some really kickin' rad sword from it if you delve deep into it and cheese a boss with a voodoo doll or two, but that's not really important.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

abyssalcraft is a metric assload of work and wrestling with lovely gimmicks and spawns where everything looks ugly as gently caress to get some pretty okay midgame gear

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
jUsT kIlL tHe MoNsTeRs WiTh RoCks

Or, on the other hand, gently caress Sevtech.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Black Pants posted:

jUsT kIlL tHe MoNsTeRs WiTh RoCks

Or, on the other hand, gently caress Sevtech.

I was enjoying Sevtech up to the point where I realized I'd need to dig to the core of the earth and perform occult rituals to go to the Cthulhu dimension so I could discover the most forbidden of all pan-dimensional magicks: pottery.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I was enjoying Sevtech up to the point where I realized I'd need to dig to the core of the earth and perform occult rituals to go to the Cthulhu dimension so I could discover the most forbidden of all pan-dimensional magicks: pottery.

My wife and I playe Sevtech all the way to the moon and had an absolutely wonderful time doing it. We split the progression pretty evenly for the first few ages (she did all the totemic and better with mods stuff, I did abyssalcraft, then she did IE and I did astral sorcery).

Modpacks need to stop using Galacticraft as the endgame because it's so utterly devoid of interesting content. Everything up to and including building/fueling the rocket is fun. The second you step on the empty-rear end moon it just sucks. I would love to have a reason to build a sickass moonbase or spacestation but there just isn't one. I just popped down the astral sorcery gateway so we could warp home and we just dusted our hands and called it a win for the pack. Other than the limp finish, the only thing I would have liked more of in Sevtech is better interweaving of mods. Like GT:NH stages out thaumcraft with both Twilight Forest and Gregtech progression by making each tier of wand require a higher tier of GT metal and the drops from the next TF boss.

Also, after the pottery discovery, you need to conquer the carminite tower in the twilight forest and learn to bend the magic of starlight to create... a coal powered engine, which you then promptly throw in the trash having learned its secrets (it's a Steve's carts engine and we never touched the mod). I absolutely love the wacky progression because it's minecraft, suspend your disbelief and enjoy the ride.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you can get around the wildly unintuitive way Steve's Carts is laid out it's a very powerful and versatile mod that can automate most mundane tasks like tree farms, farming, and to a lesser extent long distance fluid/item transportation with minimal effort. Just kind of superseded by other mods that do it better but more boringly. High recommended mod for a more active looking base if the modpack has it though. Especially early game.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Maguoob posted:

I liked Twilight Forest, and did not enjoy Betweenlands (it was bad enough to kill my first attempt at sevtech). I had a better understanding of the game the second time, and was able push through.

You need to do some abyssalcraft rituals to get constellation maps for Astral Sorcery, but otherwise don't need to deal with the additional dimensions that abyssalcraft adds.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

My wife and I playe Sevtech all the way to the moon and had an absolutely wonderful time doing it. We split the progression pretty evenly for the first few ages (she did all the totemic and better with mods stuff, I did abyssalcraft, then she did IE and I did astral sorcery).

Modpacks need to stop using Galacticraft as the endgame because it's so utterly devoid of interesting content. Everything up to and including building/fueling the rocket is fun. The second you step on the empty-rear end moon it just sucks. I would love to have a reason to build a sickass moonbase or spacestation but there just isn't one. I just popped down the astral sorcery gateway so we could warp home and we just dusted our hands and called it a win for the pack.

100% this. Galacticraft is a boring grind. Each rocket level requires all the materials for all the previous rockets you build, and you have to go to a level 10 rocket. This is what killed my second run (same as yours I guess).

quote:

Also, after the pottery discovery, you need to conquer the carminite tower in the twilight forest and learn to bend the magic of starlight to create... a coal powered engine, which you then promptly throw in the trash having learned its secrets (it's a Steve's carts engine and we never touched the mod). I absolutely love the wacky progression because it's minecraft, suspend your disbelief and enjoy the ride.

Actually the engine is for a ViesCraft airship. Still not really worth doing though. Astral Sorcery is great, though, a really fun mod. I also really enjoyed all the Immersive Engineering multiblock stuff, even though they take an absolute ton of iron.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I absolutely love the wacky progression because it's minecraft, suspend your disbelief and enjoy the ride.

It's less an issue with suspension of disbelief and more that Sevtech involves a kind of ungodly amount of grinding for certain advancements, so as soon as you introduce anything that I have no thematic or practical interest in (i.e. Abyssalcraft), its incorporation as an arbitrary gating mechanism very quickly saps my tolerance for that grind.

It did introduce me to a few nice QoL mods for 1.12 like Just A Few Fish and Mo' Bends though, so there is that.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

The ViesCraft airship is pretty fun if you're playing with someone else since it can seat two and the one in the back can act like a gunner

Just dont use any weapons that can set someone else on fire

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The abyssalcraft grind wasn't *that* bad. Worst part was getting the shadow gems, but that was more mob spawn luck than grind. To get the best results you also needed some way of killing the toughest shadow monster spawn type.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So uh, when exactly are mods going to move from Twitch to Overwolf?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

just move to gdlauncher or something asap

i tried out material energy^5, it's doing some interesting stuff but i also feel like it demands a lot out of you before you're entirely able to rise to the occasion, vis-a-vis the combat, but maybe i just don't really know what i'm doing

it's also got some goofy bugs so i might try older material energy stuff out until it gets a couple more updates

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The ME^X series are all pretty decent with the caveat that if you know the mods involved TOO well then it's trivial to remove any challenge.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey, gang!

A couple years ago I played Minecraft on the 360 and had a lot of fun with it. Now I have a PERSONAL COMPUTER with a lot of bits processing power and want to play Minecraft again.

Specifically what I'm looking for is a good single player experience. I enjoyed the survival thing -- I'm not a hardcore survival guy, but I liked what the 360 version offered. Basically, I'm looking for Minecraft Singleplayer with as many mods and such that I can cram into it without breaking it in terms of balance. I thought this would be an easy venture, but there seems to be a thousand different Minecraft versions and mods don't work across all of them and there's massive contention about which versions are good and which RUINED COMBAT FOREVER.

This is all mysterious to me. I don't even own it, yet. Can someone maybe just point to something and say, "For the best possibly single player experience you need Minecraft Version ______ with this specific modpack." I wonder if that's a lot to ask... but I am so lost!

Edit: Oh yeah, and is there a particular version I should buy? Can I buy the game and revert to an earlier version? Or do I need to mod even that part?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

credburn posted:

Hey, gang!

A couple years ago I played Minecraft on the 360 and had a lot of fun with it. Now I have a PERSONAL COMPUTER with a lot of bits processing power and want to play Minecraft again.

Specifically what I'm looking for is a good single player experience. I enjoyed the survival thing -- I'm not a hardcore survival guy, but I liked what the 360 version offered. Basically, I'm looking for Minecraft Singleplayer with as many mods and such that I can cram into it without breaking it in terms of balance. I thought this would be an easy venture, but there seems to be a thousand different Minecraft versions and mods don't work across all of them and there's massive contention about which versions are good and which RUINED COMBAT FOREVER.

This is all mysterious to me. I don't even own it, yet. Can someone maybe just point to something and say, "For the best possibly single player experience you need Minecraft Version ______ with this specific modpack." I wonder if that's a lot to ask... but I am so lost!

Edit: Oh yeah, and is there a particular version I should buy? Can I buy the game and revert to an earlier version? Or do I need to mod even that part?

Well for the mods you want the Java version and you can select whichever version you want to play. Currently the Twitch launcher has it setup where you can just install a modpack and play it with no fuss, but that should be changing soon.

99.9% of mods and modpacks are garbage at explaining anything, and the general consensus seems to be to play the Blightfall modpack (Technic Launcher).

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah play Blightfall, it's the best singleplayer experience you can get right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
If you don't understand how mods work though, Baby's First Space Race or FTB Academy are probably better places to start though because Blightfall throws you into the deep end as soon as you land. That said, if you like a challenge go ahead haha, but you're gonna have no idea what's going on.

Also as far as I know, Mojang has never actually stopped hosting every single version of Minecraft ever released (except maybe snapshots) so your pack launcher of choice (Technic, Twitch, GDLauncher, MultiMC - GDLauncher being the recommended one but you'll need Technic for Blightfall) will literally download everything you need to play whatever pack you have it install.