Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm not sure if that works, but you can just craft 1 fruit with an oak sapling (or jungle sapling sometimes) and start a whole new tree. Rinse, repeat.

If you're going for the healing axe, the only one of those you need is onions.

i'm not going for the axe; the problem is when i find a peppercorn tree but it's a million miles away and i don't have bonemeal on me

and then i forget to waypoint it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Black Pants posted:

Hm looks like we're both attempting a similar thing (also lol at Minecolonies averaging 2 alpha releases a day lately) except that I'm focusing more on literally every possible building-related mod and have Mekanism and IE, but am eschewing BM and dangerous enemy mods because they tend to poo poo up servers from experience. (I don't know about how that'll go these days or how that depends on server though)

How are you trying to install Forge? A launcher like MultiMC or GDLauncher will do it for you.

using GDlauncher I can install forge but I can't install optifine. merely dumping the .jar for optifine in the mods folder will not load it at all, and attempting to run it and pressing either install or extract nets me this:

I even attempted to go though commandline like suggested a bunch of places, including with GDlauncher instance's included java runtime. nothing is working, and I can't find any info on how to manually install via opening the jar as an archive and dumping out the contents.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
So maybe a stupid question but have you double checked to make sure you're using the correct version of optifine for your mc + forge? I've never had optifine fail to load expect when mismatching.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Rynoto posted:

So maybe a stupid question but have you double checked to make sure you're using the correct version of optifine for your mc + forge? I've never had optifine fail to load expect when mismatching.

1.16.4, I made sure of this. these errors show up when I simply attempt to run the .jar, and again when I attempt to press any buttons.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

that's the mistake I made, downloaded the most recent optifine version and then realized I need to match it up with whatever version of minecraft the modpack is using. then it worked. on the download page, there's a way to see all versions of it so you can grab the right one. you also need to load the game up normally before you can chuck optifine in the mod folder, I think.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

is there a reason you almost never see the Dynamic Trees mod, like Heavens of Sorcery has? It makes the tree experience so much better

does it just absolutely gently caress server load

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm not using a mod pack currently. I'm just trying to get things started in a base game for now, and apparently that's not easy for some reason. It seems like GDlauncher is finally detecting that Optifine is in the mods folder, but it's not being loaded by forge that I can see. does it just not show up in the mod list or something? how do I know it's running?

E: if I'm honest, maybe I should just run with a modpack. What's a good one for adding new tools without making everything require an encyclopedia's worth of wiki to use, as well as adding new exploration options?
E2: oh, okay. Technic Launcher won't install, it just sits in a loop at launching the installer. Java sure is wonderful.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 30, 2020

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

The options menu has significantly more options when Optifine is running, but GDLauncher should be able to tell it exists if you've dropped it into an instance, it just can't install it itself.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Patware posted:

is there a reason you almost never see the Dynamic Trees mod, like Heavens of Sorcery has? It makes the tree experience so much better

It absolutely fucks both server and client performance.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Patware posted:

There's some mod that makes trees into pentagons (maybe, don't know number of faces) that's kinda cool and doesn't mess up performance. Dynamic Trees isn't that mod.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Also tree mods that mess with oaks will gently caress up tree farm behavior. Recurrent Complex did that to me when I was trying to run a tree farm once. It wanted to make its special trees at its own rate, and I was wondering why nothing seemed to work.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Patware posted:

Incompatibility with a bunch of modded trees; It looks great with oak, birch and acacia but spruce and jungle trees look like absolute poo poo (it straight-up ruins jungles) and dark oak just doesn't have a Dynamic Trees version as far as I know; It breaks tree farms; it also has a problem I never figured out where trees just sometimes either grow stunted (aka they'll only have branches on one side or something like that) or they'll grow a bit, then the leaves will die off and then the branches die.

Maybe it's not enough light? If so, RIP growing trees underground.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I delete dynamic trees, will I break my game / delete entire forests or? I really don't like it. trees look spindly and awful and even the big ones only drop 6 logs max.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Qubee posted:

If I delete dynamic trees, will I break my game / delete entire forests or? I really don't like it. trees look spindly and awful and even the big ones only drop 6 logs max.

It will probably do all of that, unfortunately.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Qubee posted:

The thing about Dynamic Trees is that they keep growing so long as the soil they're on has nutrients, which you can replenish with bonemeal. There's no max size on them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

GTNH thing I just thought of: You can type Not yet eaten! into NEI and it will show all the foods you can still eat to get hearts.

Scottishprog
Jun 30, 2012
Thank You!

I was wondering in the back of my head on how I was going the filter the wheat (uneaten) from the chaff (eaten).

I sorta like the mechanic... a solid point in doing all of the foods, even with the healing axe. And the early hearts help with the mobs a bit.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

GTNH thing I just thought of: You can type Not yet eaten! into NEI and it will show all the foods you can still eat to get hearts.

Yes, even just "not yet" works for that(with only a not yet implemented block as extra). HOWEVER, it doesn't immediately update the list after you eat stuff, so pay attention to what you're cooking. You have to save+quit to make NEI repopulate its search array or whatever it uses to sort stuff with.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How can I run wiring from outside my house to inside it without having an ugly hole in the wall? I can't place a relay outside and inside as wires don't pass through blocks, so I'm at a loss. I tried using conduits but they're tiny and also leave a huge gap.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Immersive Engineering? I could've sworn there was a special relay item you could stick on two sides of a block for that exact purpose.

EDIT: I guess I was insane. If you're just worried about not having a hole you could use a capacitor, but then you've got a capacitor in your wall instead of whatever else.

Patware fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 31, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Qubee posted:

How can I run wiring from outside my house to inside it without having an ugly hole in the wall? I can't place a relay outside and inside as wires don't pass through blocks, so I'm at a loss. I tried using conduits but they're tiny and also leave a huge gap.

There may be more contextual solutions, but assuming the wire is for power, then use a battery from your modpack.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
EnderIO has camouflage blocks that can be painted to whatever and slot directly on top of the conduits. Besides that you have batteries and as mentioned there's a simple multiblock in Immersive Engineering that passes power through walls.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rynoto posted:

EnderIO has camouflage blocks that can be painted to whatever and slot directly on top of the conduits. Besides that you have batteries and as mentioned there's a simple multiblock in Immersive Engineering that passes power through walls.

Conduit Facade!

https://ftbwiki.org/Conduit_Facade

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Qubee posted:

With IE, place a connector on either side of the block you want to go through, then right click one connector with a hammer.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is there a config for how much power IE waterwheels and windmills output? I swear there used to be but I can't find it at all

Actually are there any mods out there that focus on aesthetically pleasing power generators?

Xun fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 31, 2020

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The diesel generator looks pretty neat. And Immersive Tech/Technology's turbine would be great if the mods weren't hella broken. Otherwise you're stuck with Mekanism's stuff.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Made it to HV in GTNH. Power is proving to be a continual challenge. I made a pyrolyse oven to replace my coke oven array, and it's helped, but the lovely cupronickel coils are hamstringing it hard and it was a bitch to make in the first place. I'd like to upgrade to kanthal coils, but for that I need a vacuum freezer and for THAT I need a cleanroom and aaaaaaaaaa

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have definitely become a fan of 1.16 and KubeJS now. KubeJS uses simple javascript (the syntax is pretty close to zenscript really) to do basically what CraftTweaker, In Control and COFH World do, and using it is pretty nice and easy. Also 1.16 allows for reloading of scripts without quitting, which is amazing.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I was asking the other day if anyone using the DW20 1.16 pack was having problems with Astral Sorcery.
Seems it wasnt generating ore crystals.
Its been fixed, update Astral or the whole modpack if need be.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
GT:NH blast oven: Are there any better ways to secure calcite in the steam age than as a tertiary product of lazurite veins? They're the sparse product of a fairly rare ore and I'm struggling to get individual blocks of it, let alone 76 of them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

GT:NH blast oven: Are there any better ways to secure calcite in the steam age than as a tertiary product of lazurite veins? They're the sparse product of a fairly rare ore and I'm struggling to get individual blocks of it, let alone 76 of them.

I believe the steam macerator will double your calcite and gypsum, so that might help. But, yeah, that's pretty much it. I decided to make three more bricked blast furnaces for free* steel, and I had to dig out a huge portion of a lazurite vein to get enough calcite. It's a pain in the rear end.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is that macerator a general ore doubler?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is that macerator a general ore doubler?

Yep. Though, be careful -- any ore that's an "elemental" type, like Iron Ore or Copper ore (c.f. pyrite ore and chalcopyrite ore) will spit out crushed ore items that smelt into 10 nuggets instead of 1 bar. If you toss the crushed ore into a forge hammer, it'll quickly turn it into impure dust that you can bulk wash a stack at a time (or less) by physically tossing it into a vanilla cauldron full of water.

Later on once you get HV macerators, some stuff will give useful byproducts when you macerate it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

this is kinda handy for making wrought iron though.

less so for, uh, wrought copper. because that doesn't exist

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yep. Though, be careful -- any ore that's an "elemental" type, like Iron Ore or Copper ore (c.f. pyrite ore and chalcopyrite ore) will spit out crushed ore items that smelt into 10 nuggets instead of 1 bar. If you toss the crushed ore into a forge hammer, it'll quickly turn it into impure dust that you can bulk wash a stack at a time (or less) by physically tossing it into a vanilla cauldron full of water.

Later on once you get HV macerators, some stuff will give useful byproducts when you macerate it.

also be aware the above method doesn't work well for non-dust outputs like diamond, coal, or the thaumcraft shards. you'll just get dust versions. to get the actual item, there's two ways.

one way is to wash the crushed ore then throw it in a sifter. returns are decent doing this, but the lower tier sifters are terribly slow. this method becomes decent when you can build the multiblock sifter in hv so you can process stacks at a time.

the other way is to just throw the block, without macerating, into the forge hammer. this has worse returns but is super fast if you just need a stack of lapis to give something luck, for example.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

make an arc furnace and you can stop loving around with nuggets for wrought iron! and you can make "wrought copper" too! (annealed copper)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Wrought copper exists, it's called Annealed Copper. Though by the time you can use it, you can make an arc furnace. Arc furnaces make wrought iron a billion times easier too:

In particular for things that require wire or fine wire -- using annealed copper can often double the amount of circuits/etc you get.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, make the steam oven and steam grinder.

This thing cooks 9 things at once at the cost of 8000mB of steam.

The steam grinder grinds 8 ores at once. No byproducts, but a lot of the time you don't care.

I've long since dismantled my steam infrastructure, but I run them off of "electricity" by using a fluid heater to heat water into steam. Inefficient, probably, but I'm lazy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Lazurite doesn't seem to macerate. Is there other stuff that straight calcite ore that can produce calcite dust?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Lazurite doesn't seem to macerate. Is there other stuff that straight calcite ore that can produce calcite dust?

If you're going about it legit, you just need to resign yourself to mining out most of a lapis vein to obtain the needed calcite for the full 2x2 bricked blast furnace setup. You can 'cheat' by only mining columns every third block and getting the calcite out of the walls and nothing else. Like this, in 3 high segments all the way across the vein then repeating one down until you have what you need. I highly recommend a redstone boosted bronze pick with a diamond modifier. L is lapis vein, X is dig:
LLXLLXLL
LLXLLXLL
LLXLLXLL

Also, macerate all the calcite/gypsum ore, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
So I've been banging my head against a wall trying to figure out why in 1.12.2 the Item Translocators only sometimes input into Storage Drawer systems but I think I've finally found out the exact trigger to make it recognize and try and input into a system. The bug itself seems to be linked to the void upgrades not being a valid destination with the caveat that sometimes they continued to work anyways. And this seems to be, from my testing, how to permanently fix it:
By having a locked, non-voided drawer further away from the voided, locked chest of the same item then it seems to satisfy whatever logic the inputs require and will then continuously any input items into the network. To start it recognizing it as a valid network any item can be used in the locked chest and that item then has to be fed into the controller/through the translocator into storage. It's vital that the empty drawer be further away.

Hope this helps someone else at some point because I know I spent far too long working out what was happening and the translocators are one of the few options with high enough throughput for extreme resource movement.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 4, 2021