Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, I've done that before with a chain of fluiducts and servos I turn on at the end, but it's just a pain in the rear end. Was hoping I missed something less finicky.

Finicky? How so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone have a deece everything in one modpack? I normally play Direwolf20 on FTB, but I'm always worried someone's going to slip me a bitcoin miner or something.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
how would one get an absurd number of seeds WITHOUT magic mods, like just with minefactory reloaded + thermal expansion?
Was playing with modderation fyad in creative mode, and even having a cow farm to provide fertilizer and an openblocks sprinkler system nearby wheat just seems to grow really slowly. Seems like a lilypad of fertility or just about any other magic means of growth enhancement would be necessary to get this show on the road, but surely tech mods must have their own ways of doing things. (though this modpack's missing a lot of them)
Just sorta curious since I wanted to see how bee mechanics work, but that includes what infrastructure you're expected to start with... and that infrastructure is apparently "poo poo tons of seeds before you even loving start"

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Acne Rain posted:

how would one get an absurd number of seeds WITHOUT magic mods, like just with minefactory reloaded + thermal expansion?
Was playing with modderation fyad in creative mode, and even having a cow farm to provide fertilizer and an openblocks sprinkler system nearby wheat just seems to grow really slowly. Seems like a lilypad of fertility or just about any other magic means of growth enhancement would be necessary to get this show on the road, but surely tech mods must have their own ways of doing things. (though this modpack's missing a lot of them)
Just sorta curious since I wanted to see how bee mechanics work, but that includes what infrastructure you're expected to start with... and that infrastructure is apparently "poo poo tons of seeds before you even loving start"

Openblocks Sprinklers are ok, the MFR fertilizer gets it done but is reliant on a moderate supply chain ultimately tied to mobs. Really just shove some size upgrades in a MFR planter/harv combo, make sure you're doing something with the harv sludge and that the soil blocks get irrigated. It'll take it a while, but is a fire-and-forget way to get all the wheat and seeds you want that's MFR+TE. If you've got lilypads of fert or openblocks sprinklers feel free to throw em in but even if I had a MFR fert setup going I wouldn't use the fert on wheat.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Acne Rain posted:

The idea behind Forestry seed oil is that you want to breed walnut/chestnut trees to maximize your yield per item. You can then pick them with the Orchard mode of Forestry's autofarms, and turn them into a metric assload of seed oil.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I thought you needed BEES before you could breed TREES

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Acne Rain posted:

you do but you don't need to have industrialized seed oil production to get there

you just need one bee working next to the trees you're trying to cross-pollinate (wintry bees have the biggest area, rural bees (meadows + diligent, wheat as flower) have the fastest speed)

also check and see if your modpack has a wheat -> seeds recipe, sometimes that makes its way in

also pumpkins are a great choice for bulk-producing seeds as you get 4 per grown pumpkin

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Acne Rain posted:

Normally, yes, but it's also possible to get around the bee requirement by using butterflies.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Serifina posted:

Normally, yes, but it's also possible to get around the bee requirement by using butterflies.

Butterflies are, in fact, better at it than Bees. Capture a couple of butterflies in an enclosed space you intend to breed trees in. Get the trees you need to crossbreed, plant them, and sit back to wait. The butterflies will breed with each other, increasing the number of butterflies drastically, and every surface block of the tree will get crossbred.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The server that I'm currently playing on uses Optifine, but it's causing a poo poo ton of visual bugs and generally making a lot of people mad. What's a good replacement for optifine that will help improve performance/give better visuals without being a buggy piece of poo poo?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

neogeo0823 posted:

The server that I'm currently playing on uses Optifine, but it's causing a poo poo ton of visual bugs and generally making a lot of people mad. What's a good replacement for optifine that will help improve performance/give better visuals without being a buggy piece of poo poo?

just uninstall optifine

you can add fastcraft which might help some

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

Fastcraft works much better than optifine for me, but from what I understand it depends on your computer

E:f,b

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

McFrugal posted:

Finicky? How so?

Well, having to have a second set of pipes running along the side that I need to run a 'flush' on is fairly finicky, IMO. not the end of the world or anything, but just hoping there was a better way of doing it. I'll look at the drums/etc.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Glory of Arioch posted:

just uninstall optifine

you can add fastcraft which might help some

ducttape posted:

Fastcraft works much better than optifine for me, but from what I understand it depends on your computer

E:f,b

Thanks. I'll install fastcraft and take out optifine.

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!
Forgot to mention one sweet tip: To get anywhere in witchery you need all 3 saplings. As soon as you get one, just keep chopping it down and killing the ents. They drop all the witchery saplings frequently and you'll have all 3 in no time.

MUCH better than burning through stacks of mutandis on extra biomes flowers which is something I would never do, ever. I swear. And definitely not twice in 2 different worlds.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Happy Big Fun posted:

Forgot to mention one sweet tip: To get anywhere in witchery you need all 3 saplings. As soon as you get one, just keep chopping it down and killing the ents. They drop all the witchery saplings frequently and you'll have all 3 in no time.

MUCH better than burning through stacks of mutandis on extra biomes flowers which is something I would never do, ever. I swear. And definitely not twice in 2 different worlds.

yeah that mutandis poo poo was irritating as gently caress, getting a billion extrabiomesxl flowers before you get what you need

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

Well, having to have a second set of pipes running along the side that I need to run a 'flush' on is fairly finicky, IMO. not the end of the world or anything, but just hoping there was a better way of doing it. I'll look at the drums/etc.

What? Just have one pipe on each basin/table. The point is to have them set up in series, not parallel. You should never have to "flush" the pipes. At most you'll have to break the last basin/table if you accidentally put in the wrong amount of ore(in the case of basins), or make alloys in a bad ratio.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, so I'm having another problem. I'm setting up a server mod list and so far it's been going ok. I've downloaded the mods I want, and began trying to run the game through the Technic launcher. Each time I do, I get a message telling me that I need some other mod or core file or whatever, which is fine. I download that file and move on. However, I got to a point where the game tells me I need CoFHCore 1.7.10R3.0.1 minimum, and so I download the CoFHCore-[1.7.10]3.0.3-303.jar file. Once I install that, the game crashes on startup before it loads fully. I pasted the crash report here. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to fix this?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

neogeo0823 posted:

Ok, so I'm having another problem. I'm setting up a server mod list and so far it's been going ok. I've downloaded the mods I want, and began trying to run the game through the Technic launcher. Each time I do, I get a message telling me that I need some other mod or core file or whatever, which is fine. I download that file and move on. However, I got to a point where the game tells me I need CoFHCore 1.7.10R3.0.1 minimum, and so I download the CoFHCore-[1.7.10]3.0.3-303.jar file. Once I install that, the game crashes on startup before it loads fully. I pasted the crash report here. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to fix this?
Looks like Extra Bees is blowing up. Someone else is having the same issue: https://bitbucket.org/binnie567/binnie-mods/issues/346/alveary-load-crash

Though I'm guessing it's actually something changed in Forestry, since that version of Extra Bees has been out for a few months already and Forestry updated two days ago.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

So is there a way to make the smeltery handle multiple casting stations without ending up with a bunch of half-filled ones at the end you need to move around with pumps?

I've tried fluiducts, channels, whatever. drat you AgSkies!
The lazy way is to simply have a single drain going into a fluiduct with an always-on servo over a table with an ingot cast and then either an itemduct or a hopper underneath pulling out the done ingot. This works for all ores, it's just a bit slow. I believe a 3x3x1 or a 2x2x2 is about the right size for a single spout, constantly operating.

The effort way is to do the same, only have a lot of separate drains and unconnected fluducts and have a filter at the mouth of each fluduct into casting basins. Attach the fluiducts one at a time, and your first pour should be into bucket, which you use to mark the fluiduct as that one metal. You'll need two separate smelters to prevent alloying, so copper in one, tin in another, gold in one, silver in another. I don't remember the exact list but I did it in AG1, you can work it out.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 23, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Bhodi posted:

The lazy way is to simply have a single drain going into a fluiduct with an always-on servo over a table with an ingot cast and then either an itemduct or a hopper underneath pulling out the done ingot. This works for all ores, it's just a bit slow. I believe a 3x3x1 or a 2x2x2 is about the right size for a single spout, constantly operating.

The effort way is to do the same, only have a lot of separate drains and unconnected fluducts and have a filter at the mouth of each fluduct into casting basins. Attach the fluiducts one at a time, and your first pour should be into bucket, which you use to mark the fluiduct as that one metal. You'll need two separate smelters to prevent alloying, so copper in one, tin in another, gold in one, silver in another. I don't remember the exact list but I did it in AG1, you can work it out.

Yeah i did that using ender fluid conduits from EnderIo, for my emerald farm,

Gold as the base (5 buckets in the system looping back in via one drum)
Emerald out into a drum then out into 5 basins
over 1 day i was getting about 300 emerald blocks.

I had extra drums for blood as my base mates always fell into the smeltery (which was a 9x9x9) with the soul shards spawner top middle with a conveyor belt on the top to push the pesky villagers into the pit

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there anywhere I should be putting BFSR for greater visibility? I figure I could take on a little BS while I'm on my sabbatical with it. I was just assuming a minecraftforum thread would really do the job. Is Twitter a thing for this kind of stuff?

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I've been trying to get into minecraft tech mods forever but I always end up giving up because it seems like every time I play there are 50 different machines I either need and don't know about or think I need but could actually do it in five minutes with this other method.

I tried Blightfall but I ended up getting bored with it because the HQM mechanic, which I thought would help me understand the game and tech mods better, ended up being something I was doing because I felt like I should, not because I had any real desire to.

Can someone point me in a direction? For the record, I would rather tear my own head off than go through right clicking on poo poo infinitely with the stupid loving ring again. I just wanna automate all the things.

E: It also doesn't help that my computer has a piece of garbage for a CPU.

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 23, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ComradePyro posted:

I've been trying to get into minecraft tech mods forever but I always end up giving up because it seems like every time I play there are 50 different machines I either need and don't know about or think I need but could actually do it in five minutes with this other method.

I tried Blightfall but I ended up getting bored with it because the HQM mechanic, which I thought would help me understand the game and tech mods better, ended up being something I was doing because I felt like I should, not because I had any real desire to.

Can someone point me in a direction? For the record, I would rather tear my own head off than go through right clicking on poo poo infinitely with the stupid loving ring again. I just wanna automate all the things.

E: It also doesn't help that my computer has a piece of garbage for a CPU.
Hmmm Baby's First Space Race is not ready for automation, but it does do a primer on the tech mods. How far have you managed to get with what you have already tried?

I am planning to do at least one automation chapter, but I am still fixing all the new quests I have just added.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I know how to smeltery and the basics of ore processing and that's about where I quit usually because I just KNOW there are ten million things I could do from there but I never know what any of them are. I liked Blightfall because it gave me a clear sense of direction but also hated the living gently caress out of it because thaumcraft is annoying and grindy as all hell.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

ImpactVector posted:

Looks like Extra Bees is blowing up. Someone else is having the same issue: https://bitbucket.org/binnie567/binnie-mods/issues/346/alveary-load-crash

Though I'm guessing it's actually something changed in Forestry, since that version of Extra Bees has been out for a few months already and Forestry updated two days ago.

So, I should probably grab the older version of forestry then, or leave out the extra bees. Cool, thanks!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ComradePyro posted:

I know how to smeltery and the basics of ore processing and that's about where I quit usually because I just KNOW there are ten million things I could do from there but I never know what any of them are. I liked Blightfall because it gave me a clear sense of direction but also hated the living gently caress out of it because thaumcraft is annoying and grindy as all hell.

This is what BFSR (baby's first space race) is for! You should really play it. Or wait for rocko to finish the update and then play it.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hmmm Baby's First Space Race is not ready for automation, but it does do a primer on the tech mods. How far have you managed to get with what you have already tried?

I am planning to do at least one automation chapter, but I am still fixing all the new quests I have just added.
hey PM me? I'd like to dip my toe into this and help out with maybe a quest chain or two or, at the very least, playtest it some. The new JSON HQM makes it easy to edit / trade / import quests now, right?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Obscurity update:

Like blightfall, I should have just done all the exploration quests first. It would have saved a TON of time and heartache. The End has a dozen ender seeds; I could have just run there and used the seeds for my modest pearl needs instead of trying to jump ahead and get the enderman spawner working.

I finally unlocked the "supply" quest line. Jesus. It's massive. Agrarian skies levels of materials. Mod authors need to learn that automating the construction of 1000 water barrels and turning in 5,000 wood is the same effort (out of reach of manual crafting) as 10,000 and 50,000, and the only difference is that you're forced to sit around and wait for poo poo to grow. It's also difficult since I don't think you can grow in a cube, it'd break the ceiling.

Some of these totals are unnecessarily huge, and they're all gated behind each other so you can't start them all at the same time. Balls.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Living up to its name, looks like! :v:

The only thing I can think of with the giant orders of magnitude is that the author wants you to go insane in how much you're producing of that item per minute but the optimal builds tend to be fractal. You can make a production unit that can't be divisible any further and then build copies over and over. With transportation handled by tesseracts or other forms of near instant/high bandwidth logistics, it comes down to how 'rich' you are in materials to put in those copies. There's literally no thinking or planning involved once you've hit post-scarcity when working on those quests, just time constraints as you've said.

I could see it being an interesting case where you build up where each step of the supply quest is a component of the next until you're supplying some complex widget based off the work you've done previously. Then there's reason to keep what you've built around without feeling like you've wasted materials and time.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, so I found out that a ton of the plugins and poo poo for Forestry are for version 1.6, when I want everything to be on 1.7.10. So I took all of the addons for Forestry out excluding Forestry itself, and now when I try to start the game I get an error about mod sorting cycles or something, with this crash report.

EDIT: I tried taking out Forestry itself and any other jar files that had been added or modified today, and it now crashes on load. [url=http://pastebin.com/nCJU8PUp]Here's the crash report for that, if it helps.

EDIT2: Actually ignore everything you see above. I am stupid smart and forgot that I backed up my folders when i left off last night, so at most I lost like 20 minutes of tinkering with poo poo and nothing important. Go me.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 24, 2015

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I may have missed it if it's in the OP, but is there a current inventory edit mod? I don't want to spend days mining all the iron I need to build a spergy rail system between forts I've built.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
NEI has a cheat mode.

quote:

This is what BFSR (baby's first space race) is for! You should really play it. Or wait for rocko to finish the update and then play it.

Launching this now, goon-made videogame stuff has never failed me before.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

ComradePyro posted:

NEI has a cheat mode.

Launching this now, goon-made videogame stuff has never failed me before.

I started playing BFSR last night, meant to go to bed at 9pm, was still playing at 23:00....

Love the names of the quests, they are brilliantly tongue in cheek, i did see some typos on some of them Is that something you want reported or are you ok with the wrong words being used (one is a transposition something like olace instead of place)

Also i found something on facebook the other day that had my mind blown, in french the word is etats it translates to state - (hint reverse the letters)

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah, BFSR is exactly what I was looking for, this is loving awesome Rocko. I have yet to be tempted to cheat and that's a very good sign!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

I could see it being an interesting case where you build up where each step of the supply quest is a component of the next until you're supplying some complex widget based off the work you've done previously. Then there's reason to keep what you've built around without feeling like you've wasted materials and time.

This is literally Factorio in a nutshell, I had played it years before ever touching modded Minecraft, and the similarity between the two is pretty striking, to the point where I'm almost positive the developer took inspiration from modded Minecraft. It's got a much better balanced system of progression though since it's not a mushmash of mods developed by different people. It's pretty much all about building small amounts of automation to build parts that can be used to create machines to make more automation to build parts for even bigger, more efficient, and more complex machines. It's definitely become its own thing but I honestly think modpacks could benefit from taking some inspiration from it in turn. Though factorio has the benefit of allowing you to scale up to truly massive sizes since it doesn't have to worry about minecraft's terrible engine.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

I started playing BFSR last night, meant to go to bed at 9pm, was still playing at 23:00....

Love the names of the quests, they are brilliantly tongue in cheek, i did see some typos on some of them Is that something you want reported or are you ok with the wrong words being used (one is a transposition something like olace instead of place)

Also i found something on facebook the other day that had my mind blown, in french the word is etats it translates to state - (hint reverse the letters)

Send along all the mistakes. I'm pecking at them right now.

I think I figured out that for advanced players, BFSR is an endorphin generator because it just shits prizes out from all orifices nonstop. It wasn't exactly my plan but I'm taking it was a lesson learned.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think I figured out that for advanced players, BFSR is an endorphin generator because it just shits prizes out from all orifices nonstop. It wasn't exactly my plan but I'm taking it was a lesson learned.

I haven't played BFSR yet, though I'm planning on it but yes, all the best implementations of HQM just spew out tons of goodies for you all the time. Random reward bags and specifically tailored loot can both be good, but one thing that peeves me off with obscurity/other mods is when you have to pick between a reward bag that will most likely give you a torch or a creeper egg or something and something moderately useful but boring (like an extra life heart quarter/half, in obscurity's case) just so you hate yourself for picking the fun option. Just give both :ssh:.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 24, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The OreGen is like crazy though. Gold and redstone on the surface, not found diamond yet, and I had to cheat in a Lava fabricator as i went through more picks than jimmy hendrix on a caffeine drip and still didnt find a lava pool at lvl 12. - oil by the gallons,
AE2 is good but I think it would have been easier to put AE1 instead it would have made it a lot easier, Also Ender IO would have added a bit nicer work through - Sag mill/ alloy smelter then wireless charger so your tools charge when you are in your base.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

TheresaJayne posted:

AE2 is good but I think it would have been easier to put AE1 instead it would have made it a lot easier

... I can't even.

AE2 is way easier than 1, unless you like stringing cables willy-nilly without having to put thought into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

mechaet posted:

... I can't even.

AE2 is way easier than 1, unless you like stringing cables willy-nilly without having to put thought into it.

channels are a lot harder than not-channels

(i actually don't mind channels that much)

also you can turn channels off in AE2 if you want