Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, while I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but the last server I was a member of, the thing got clogged by the fact that it had over 15k entities, a few very large reactors, and some other things like botania's mana spreaders and the like that were in general causing lag. On the server I'm helping to set up, this is a major concern for me, since we obviously want as lag-free a time as we can get. We've decided we're going to go with a slightly modified 1.7.10 modpack for our server, so what should we know for keeping stuff like that in check? My main idea is to remove Big Reactors from the mod and add Opis, but obviously that doesn't cover anything else. Are there any mods I should add in or things I should be aware of for this sort of issue?

BigReactors shouldn't be lagging very much, it's designed to be pretty friendly to servers. The main thing is to set maximum reactor sizes to a sane setting, and don't let folks continually pump new water into a reactor. Turbines and reactors can transmit water and steam between each other if their inlets and outlets are touching, and eventually the reactor will stabilize and not need more water.

Make sure to use a recent version of Botania, also. Passive flowers are set to decay after a while, which is an immense performance boost. The reason mana spreaders cause lag is because people would make tens of thousands of them to collect mana from hundreds of thousands of the bottom tier flowers. If your users need ideas on how to collect mana more efficiently, check my post history (the question mark button) and on the last page or two there will be some of my mega-sperg Botania posts. I'll link them when I'm not on a phone later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the megasperg posts are here (Corporea), here (flowers1), and here (flowers2), and they're good, and powerful, and my friend

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah that's heroin class sperg friend reader beware

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ShoulderDaemon posted:

Not exactly. Reactors use one ingot of yellorium = 1000mB, and when you're casting from a smelter that's also the conversion used, but when you melt one ingot in a smelter you only get 144mB (288mB if you melt ore).

On the one hand, I sorta like Big Reactor's very simple one ingot = one bucket rule. On the other hand, the smelter standardizes on one ingot = 144mB because it divides nicely by 9 (important for casting nuggets) and has a lot of small factors which makes alloys nicer to deal with.

The best solution is probably just for Big Reactors to renormalize on one ingot = 144mB, because that's really what everything uses nowadays. Until that happens, yeah, it needs either tweaking or just "remember: don't put yellorium in a smelter, or you lose 85.6% of it".

I should be fine if I can change the conversion just for smelteries, right? If I understand correctly, there isn't really an exploit here, unless there's something clever they can do with liquid yellorium. I'm not worried about a exploit loop in BFSR, but if that's why this isn't done in other mod packs, then I don't want to get newcomers into a habit that is invalid in the larger world.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I should be fine if I can change the conversion just for smelteries, right? If I understand correctly, there isn't really an exploit here, unless there's something clever they can do with liquid yellorium. I'm not worried about a exploit loop in BFSR, but if that's why this isn't done in other mod packs, then I don't want to get newcomers into a habit that is invalid in the larger world.

You can't pipe out from a reactor to make 9x ingots from one ingot?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I should be fine if I can change the conversion just for smelteries, right?

If you change the smeltery so that yellorium ingots melt into 1000mB (and ore melts into 2000mB) then you're fine. I assume this is possible, because sand melts into 1000mB of molten glass, as I recall.

If, on the other hand, you made it so that only 144mB was required to cast a yellorium ingot, then someone could setup a loop where ingots go into a big reactor, and then molten yellorium gets pumped from the reactor into a casting table, and get infinite yellorium.

So yeah, just change smelteries, and you should be okay.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Can you pump yellorium out of a reactor in the first place?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Heffer posted:

I was sort of assuming you could, but I guess I don't recall ever trying. If you can't, then just change everything to use the 144mB/ingot standard that every other fluid uses.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Heffer posted:

You can eject the fuel, which dumps it out in ingot form into one of the item ports.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Glory of Arioch posted:

BigReactors shouldn't be lagging very much, it's designed to be pretty friendly to servers. The main thing is to set maximum reactor sizes to a sane setting, and don't let folks continually pump new water into a reactor. Turbines and reactors can transmit water and steam between each other if their inlets and outlets are touching, and eventually the reactor will stabilize and not need more water.

Make sure to use a recent version of Botania, also. Passive flowers are set to decay after a while, which is an immense performance boost. The reason mana spreaders cause lag is because people would make tens of thousands of them to collect mana from hundreds of thousands of the bottom tier flowers. If your users need ideas on how to collect mana more efficiently, check my post history (the question mark button) and on the last page or two there will be some of my mega-sperg Botania posts. I'll link them when I'm not on a phone later.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

the megasperg posts are here (Corporea), here (flowers1), and here (flowers2), and they're good, and powerful, and my friend

Thanks for these. I haven't read the links yet, but I'm gonna try keeping in Big Reactors and cut the allowable size down to 1/4th of the default. Who thought it was a good idea to make it so you could build 32x32x48 reactors?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
For those who need MEGA POWER. Or you know, for powering the entirety of the server.

If you want to reduce the rendering lag you could remove reactor/turbine glass.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

oh, other misc tips for performance

* use tessaracts for everything, use pipes as little as possible
* no vanilla hoppers
* no loops in itemducts/fluiducts/conduits
* don't poo poo zillions of items around on the floor or make a zillion mobs/animals

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, some of that stuff killed the last server I was on.

So, I'm trying to modify the 1.7.10 modpack to use as a base for the server I'm working on. One mod I wanted to remove from the modpack was Galacticraft. I deleted the jar file, the configs, and the folder for it in the modpack, but when I launch the game, between hitting the Play button in the technic launcher, and the game window popping up, a warning will pop up asking me if I want to install Galacticraft. I want to get rid of that check, but I can't find anything that would call for it. Where do I find it and/or what do I do to get rid of it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was missing a jar.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 26, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Going back to this.

Taffer posted:

Teleporters, screens, and lots of nifty automation tools. A simple, cheap, easy to use redstone timer, for example.

Can I use that pack to generate an alarm if I am depleting power? I got the impression I could, and that would be worth the price of admission. In my Blightfall came, for example, my tree farm would blast out one of my fluxducts every once in a bit, and I would have no warning other than seeing some of the energy cells in the loop start depleting. I'd like to make something audibly alarm. Is there any block in any of the normal packs that can make a good alarm? All I saw was something that could kind of just make some percussion noises. I guess I could try to make it ring off like a bell or something.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Thanks for these. I haven't read the links yet, but I'm gonna try keeping in Big Reactors and cut the allowable size down to 1/4th of the default. Who thought it was a good idea to make it so you could build 32x32x48 reactors?

You shouldn't need to cut down reactor sizes. I've run servers where people (me) built literal arrays of huge reactors + turbines and the lag it created was negligible compared to other things.

Botania is fairly laggy when sparks and spreaders are spammed, encourage people to keep the numbers of those down when possible. Large numbers of flowers are usually fine unless someone builds fields of dayblooms. Use opis and cauldron on the server, and fastcraft on clients. Entities are far and away the biggest causes of server lag, so keep farm sizes down. Mods these days are pretty good about keeping lag down but edge cases can always be a problem. Pipe loops shouldn't be a big issue anymore, but encourage people to use AE in place of pipes when possible. AE is basically the king of optimization in the MC modding world and even gigantic sprawling systems will probably outperform a single vanilla mob.

Hoppers are massively optimized when using cauldron, but are still not great. AE or TE pipes are still a better alternative lag-wise. It's just mobs that are the big problem. Huge mob farms, or huge spawner/grinder/cursed earth setups will always be the bane of servers and that's always what you should target first to reduce lag. Just don't put buildcraft on a server. It is Bad with a capital B. EXU transfer nodes can be really cool for specific setups but are probably the worst offenders of pipe lag besides TE, so if you have them on your server try to keep them to a minimum.

But again it's mobs. I can't stress enough about how it's mobs. A single chicken swimming in the ocean will oftentimes dwarf the lag that a single large base creates. It's hard to over-stress how terrible mobs are on servers.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Going back to this.

Can I use that pack to generate an alarm if I am depleting power? I got the impression I could, and that would be worth the price of admission. In my Blightfall came, for example, my tree farm would blast out one of my fluxducts every once in a bit, and I would have no warning other than seeing some of the energy cells in the loop start depleting. I'd like to make something audibly alarm. Is there any block in any of the normal packs that can make a good alarm? All I saw was something that could kind of just make some percussion noises. I guess I could try to make it ring off like a bell or something.

You can, absolutely, but probably not with a single-mod solution. If you have a bank of power cells for example, your last cell in the chain hooked up with a redstone comparator can output a signal to whatever alarm thingy you feel like hooking up. Even if it's something as simple as a big redstone controlled light. I think you can do that with either TE or EIO cells, though I'm not 100% sure. Shouldn't need RFtools for that specifically though.

RF tools is a great mod with many things, it's biggest feature is mystcraft-like world building, but I personally have not gone deep into that feature because it's a huge no-no on servers since worldgen is death. It's best things IMO are simply the teleporters and screens, but it has lots of small useful blocks for automation. Screens can do stuff like this:

Taffer fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 26, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Going back to this.

You could use a comparitor on a redstone energy cell to measure your power, then have something make a noise or alarm if the redstone signal decreases too far.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I've never run into this particular crash error before. What's the error and how do I fix it?

Taffer posted:

You shouldn't need to cut down reactor sizes. I've run servers where people (me) built literal arrays of huge reactors + turbines and the lag it created was negligible compared to other things.

Botania is fairly laggy when sparks and spreaders are spammed, encourage people to keep the numbers of those down when possible. Large numbers of flowers are usually fine unless someone builds fields of dayblooms. Use opis and cauldron on the server, and fastcraft on clients. Entities are far and away the biggest causes of server lag, so keep farm sizes down. Mods these days are pretty good about keeping lag down but edge cases can always be a problem. Pipe loops shouldn't be a big issue anymore, but encourage people to use AE in place of pipes when possible. AE is basically the king of optimization in the MC modding world and even gigantic sprawling systems will probably outperform a single vanilla mob.

Hoppers are massively optimized when using cauldron, but are still not great. AE or TE pipes are still a better alternative lag-wise. It's just mobs that are the big problem. Huge mob farms, or huge spawner/grinder/cursed earth setups will always be the bane of servers and that's always what you should target first to reduce lag. Just don't put buildcraft on a server. It is Bad with a capital B. EXU transfer nodes can be really cool for specific setups but are probably the worst offenders of pipe lag besides TE, so if you have them on your server try to keep them to a minimum.

But again it's mobs. I can't stress enough about how it's mobs. A single chicken swimming in the ocean will oftentimes dwarf the lag that a single large base creates. It's hard to over-stress how terrible mobs are on servers.

I'll definitely remember to keep that in mind. I haven't heard of Cauldron, so I'll likely add that to the modpack with the first revision. I have yet to use Opis from an admin's position, so I'm hoping it becomes more useful for things like that once I do. I could barely read out what was causing lag on the server as a regular player.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I see what you are doing , if you smelt in a tinkers smeltery you need to make Yellorium Ore = 200mb Yellorium Liquid to allow doubling,

I was pulverising to get 2 yellorium dust and 1 yellorium dust is smelting to 1 Uranium Ingot. so i guess its the dust->ingot recipe that needs tweaking.

I havent started the reactor thing just yet - luckily i found lots of coal so its survivalist gens all the way.

Next is sorting out storage, I see iron chests is in the pack, what about something like Jabba Barrels or Better Barrels they would make some of the grind less so until you get up to deep storage

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

Next is sorting out storage, I see iron chests is in the pack, what about something like Jabba Barrels or Better Barrels they would make some of the grind less so until you get up to deep storage
I'm tempted to remove iron chests, but I don't want to wreck people already using them. Storage Drawers is in my current copy, with quests and everything. I wanted to add Jabba for the dolly, but I am going to see if something like Mek's cardboard boxes can move existing storage containers first.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm tempted to remove iron chests, but I don't want to wreck people already using them. Storage Drawers is in my current copy, with quests and everything. I wanted to add Jabba for the dolly, but I am going to see if something like Mek's cardboard boxes can move existing storage containers first.

I like better barrels, they are upgradeable and same recipe as the Jabba ones i think. I couldnt do Factory sky 2 without them....

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm tempted to remove iron chests

Why? I'm genuinely curious why so many people dislike this mod

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Maiden posted:

Crystal chests are laggy, Better to use the obsidian chests - same size just opaque

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Regrowth is complete right? I'm thinking about going back to it over Christmas and I wanna know if there's any decent texture packs that are compatible with it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Demiurge4 posted:

Regrowth is complete right? I'm thinking about going back to it over Christmas and I wanna know if there's any decent texture packs that are compatible with it.

It's fairly complete, but not totally complete. For example, the last update (a week or two ago) added Mekanism quests.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

TheresaJayne posted:

I like better barrels, they are upgradeable and same recipe as the Jabba ones i think. I couldnt do Factory sky 2 without them....
Better Barrels are strictly worse than JABBA. it can only accept interfaces from the top and bottom, no automatic dictionary unification on items put in, no auto-output, no voiding of excess materials, no compatibility with storage drawer controllers and ae interfaces...

Maiden posted:

It's lazy and poorly implemented.

Mods should add new options, not the same option (chest) with more slots. It provides little novelty value. It's also got way too many types, levels, recipes, options, none of which have descriptions and put some people into option paralysis. Platinum better than emerald? Copper versus tin? You'd have to wiki to find out. You can't use the dolly on them.

Mods that re-imagine storage like AE2, storage drawers, and corporea are much better by default because they provide novelty, even if some people disagree on specific implementation, limitations or crafting.

Something like iron chests is easily cut out of a focused modpack but probably included in a kitchen-sink style one.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 26, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

It's lazy and poorly implemented.

Mods should add new options, not the same option (chest) with more slots. It provides little novelty value. It's also got way too many types, levels, recipes, options, none of which have descriptions and put some people into option paralysis. Platinum better than emerald? Copper versus tin? You'd have to wiki to find out. You can't use the dolly on them.

Mods that re-imagine storage like AE2, storage drawers, and corporea are much better by default because they provide novelty, even if some people disagree on specific implementation, limitations or crafting.

Something like iron chests is easily cut out of a focused modpack but probably included in a kitchen-sink style one.

counterpoint: iron chests own for early game when you just need to dump some loving stuff off and don't have power and don't wanna farm a billion wood for all the stupid barrels you'd need for garbage

not all mods need to be relevant for the entire game

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You can't build chests in early game that are significantly better than the stock chests, and that precious metal is better used almost anywhere else.

When the problem is literally "solved" by the mod by making one modded chest instead of 2 basic ones, with pretty much no other functionality or improvements, I maintain it can be axed, and with prejudice. That's the laziest thing ever.

Hey, you know what'd be useful? A chest that you could double right click like a JABBA barrel to transfer items from your inventory that already exist within the chest into it. Sort of like a storage drawer controller. Or chests that you increase the space by putting them next to each other, but not limited by two side-by-side as stock chests. I'd install BOTH those chest mods, because they'd add additional functionality. The second one kind of exists as crates but has it's own limitations which make it really hard to use and thus ignored compared to chests.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 26, 2015

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Iron chests is the perfect mod to hold you over until you say gently caress it and build/cheat an ME network.

Trading it for a hundred boxes that store one thing each? Uhhh no thank you.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I think we all agree that there's room for SOMETHING early game that doesn't require power and is better than a stock chest, I just think the bar to including a mod should be higher than "stock, but with more plusses". To me, it's middling adequate - nothing more.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Any good upto date modpacks in the similar vein of Luddite you guys would recommend? My tastes have always been more fantastic then purely technological.

Or should I just blow the dust off MultiMC and do it myself? ;)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

I think we all agree that there's room for SOMETHING early game that doesn't require power and is better than a stock chest, I just think the bar to including a mod should be higher than "stock, but with more plusses". To me, it's middling adequate - nothing more.

i wasn't aware that mods needed to pass a barrier to be included in a thing other than "it might be nice to have this thing" and "isn't a performance disaster"

it's not like mods take up much hard drive space or inflict some sort of permanent performance penalty when not in use

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Maiden posted:

Beyond what was already said, it is a single-feature mod that tries to add depth simply by creating material tiers. I have only ever used the actual iron tier in it. So with 100+ mods in BFSR, it would be one less to maintain when I have to sit in front of Curse download countdowns during updating sprees. Of course, there is not much to update in it, but I have to look it up and find out.

Something like apt-get for mods would be nice, but I am pretty sure nobody would step up to pay the bandwidth, and some modders would be up in arms that their adfly money was compromised.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Glory of Arioch posted:

i wasn't aware that mods needed to pass a barrier to be included in a thing other than "it might be nice to have this thing" and "isn't a performance disaster"

it's not like mods take up much hard drive space or inflict some sort of permanent performance penalty when not in use
That's kind of the difference between a focused modpack and a kitchen-sink one, and the negative is when you type "chest" in NEI instead of 3 clear entries there are 40 different colored chests that aren't clearly distinct or defined. In BFSR, where the player is coming in blind into a bewildering array of choice, unfamiliar with most mods, that's the last thing you want to do to them.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 26, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Speaking of, I touched adfly downloads recently and it was pretty hilarious, there's a click through ad that pretends it's the download link you're looking for, and a little bar at the top with grey text on black background that says "Everything below this line is an ad". Then you get to the real thing and it's two sidebar ads with huge download buttons and a bottom ad with also a big download button. Clicking on any of them gives you a generic exe that could easily be mistaken for the mod you are actually trying to get.

Click here without an adblocker if you dare http://www.adf.ly/3695126/www.mrcrayfish.com/download.php?file=mods/cfm/MrCrayfishFurnitureModv3.5.2(1.8).jar

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 26, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Beyond what was already said, it is a single-feature mod that tries to add depth simply by creating material tiers. I have only ever used the actual iron tier in it. So with 100+ mods in BFSR, it would be one less to maintain when I have to sit in front of Curse download countdowns during updating sprees. Of course, there is not much to update in it, but I have to look it up and find out.

Iron chests will not change. It's been completely feature frozen for 3+ years. When MC modding moves to a new MC version, you download it once then forget about it forever.

Iron chests is the perfect utility mod. It will not wow you, but it's simple, reliable, and easy and useful. When modpacks don't have it (blightfall, I'm looking at you) I go loving crazy in the earlygame and just end up adding it back in myself, because playing without it sucks. Barrels are not a substitute because they operate totally differently.

It's completely ok to just be simple and functional. Better Storage is an example of a mod that tries to do the kind of thing that iron chests does but be more interesting. It's essentially what Bhodi is vaguely trying to explain, but the mod sucks major rear end. It has a million different storage options that are all varying degrees of useless, annoying, or infuriating, and none of the opaque functionality is explained in any way.

Bhodi posted:

That's kind of the difference between a focused modpack and a kitchen-sink one, and the negative is when you type "chest" in NEI instead of 3 clear entries there are 40 different colored chests that aren't clearly distinct or defined. In BFSR, where the player is coming in blind into a bewildering array of choice, unfamiliar with most mods, that's the last thing you want to do to them.

Iron chests is not one of the things that clogs NEI with hard to understand things. From the very first time I saw it it made perfect sense that "more valuable material type = bigger chest". Granted it's slightly less obvious when copper and tin are added to the mix, but it's still pretty clear.

It's the better storage and barrel mods that are confusing. With the weird structural upgrades that aren't intuitive but are required for bigger barrels, that take forever to craft with weird multi-step recipes, then an array of actual space upgrades that it's not clear whether or not you can use, etc etc. Barrels and storage should be done like iron chests and TE barrels: A small number of extremely obvious self-explanatory tiers, and simple, easy to craft upgrades. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, I don't like jabba upgrades either but the basic 64 stack barrel is sufficient for 99% of my needs. I ignore everything except hopper and void mods.

A "better" iron chest mod to me would literally be a single item that has an identical recipe using blocks of wood rather than planks that holds 4 times as much space and acts exactly like a regular chest including multiblock functionality. Complete material parity, no frills, big enough for most uses, craftable early game, is an an obvious upgrade path from stock, introduces no new mechanics, no extraneous additional blocks to clutter up NEI.

It would need to work exactly like a stock chest and be compatible with everything. That's the key and often overlooked IMO.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 26, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Taffer posted:

It's the better storage and barrel mods that are confusing. With the weird structural upgrades that aren't intuitive but are required for bigger barrels, that take forever to craft with weird multi-step recipes, then an array of actual space upgrades that it's not clear whether or not you can use, etc etc. Barrels and storage should be done like iron chests and TE barrels: A small number of extremely obvious self-explanatory tiers, and simple, easy to craft upgrades. Keep It Simple Stupid.

This is part of the reason I'm starting to like Storage Drawers quite a bit. The recipes are fairly easy (and they use a lot less wood than barrels do,) they're consistent, and they don't go too crazy with upgradability -- just size, void, and fill level display.

Super Crafting Frame is another one of those mods that warrants inclusion in basically every mod pack, too. Regrowth really won me over with super crafting frame for filling lava buckets -- have a bucket in your inventory, and slap a crafting frame on the side of a chest or drawer with your essence of fire. Right click, receive lava bucket. It was also a godsend for those loving weak essence items that had to be continually crafted together with different infusion stones; I just slapped four frames around a chest, dropped the infusion stones into that chest, and shift-right clicked on four different frames to compress all the weak essence I had into the most compact form available. Same for making cakes (seems like everything in Regrowth uses runes of winter.)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

^^^ Never used that one, sounds pretty neat, I'll have to check it out.

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, I don't like jabba upgrades either but the basic 64 stack barrel is sufficient for 99% of my needs.

A "better" iron chest mod to me would literally be a single item that has an identical recipe using blocks of wood rather than planks that holds 4 times as much space and acts exactly like a regular chest including multiblock functionality. Complete material parity, no frills, big enough for most uses, craftable early game, is an an obvious upgrade path from stock, introduces no new mechanics.

That's pretty much what iron chests is. The "top tier" ones are more expensive but it's trivial to get 8 iron early. I can see what you mean, but personally to me one of the nicest things about iron chests to me is that they don't double up.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, that's why I'm not saying it's BAD, just lazy and middling as a solution. There's room for something to come in and replace it, it's not a "wow" obvious upgrade with wide application and adoption like AE2 and storage drawers (which is becoming more popular).

Honestly, if storage drawers implemented a "storage chest" that's fairly easy to craft, it'd be perfect and there'd be no need for iron chests at all, you could start with chests and add on drawers and a controller and then finally move to AE. But it might be considered "overpowered" by the mod author who I am sure has considered it. Storage controllers works with with AE and barrels already, so why not chests?

There's talk in the storage drawer thread about adding a specific crafting expansion so that you can shift-? click on NEI and have the items pulled in, but no idea if that might actually be created.

Crafting frames are neat as hell, it's a shame in regrowth they destroyed my performance when I tried to use them. Stupid java. Something that is not immediately obvious, if you put a crafting frame on a controller slave (cheap to craft) it will pull the materials from all/any drawers! This is REALLY useful!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm mostly not a fan of iron chests because I don't think a little extra space in a single square is worth the cost, and the way stuff is balanced/implemented seems kind of strange, mostly in terms of aesthetic and coding. Like, as mentioned, that crystal chest that shows its own contents, sort of. If I wanted a simple storage solution for the early game I'd much rather use whatever that one HQM map with the compact machines uses, with the wall lockers and discrete chests.