Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I got a computer that can handle graphical mods now, what is the best way to get a look like The Witness but in minecraft with the bloom and the shadows and pretty water and such. Texture pack I'd probably just go Sphax. Also I have not played Minecraft in literally years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a net loss of tedious bullshit is great in my book, so new thaumcraft sounds good.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody have any tricks to automating efficient biofuel production? I saw something online using Jabba barrels for more compact, finer redstone control. I am trying to do this in BFSR, where I haven't added Jabba--although I might.

I was thinking of using the Extra Utilities tiny chests--the one with just one inventory slot. A redstone comparator should tell me if it's full. If all of them are full, I can fairly safely indicate to the MFR biofuel generator that it can start making some gunk--especially if I connect the chests to the generator with a rationing pipe.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody have any tricks to automating efficient biofuel production? I saw something online using Jabba barrels for more compact, finer redstone control. I am trying to do this in BFSR, where I haven't added Jabba--although I might.

I was thinking of using the Extra Utilities tiny chests--the one with just one inventory slot. A redstone comparator should tell me if it's full. If all of them are full, I can fairly safely indicate to the MFR biofuel generator that it can start making some gunk--especially if I connect the chests to the generator with a rationing pipe.

My standard way of checking if-out-of-items is an AE level emitter. But that's requires a little more existing infrastructure.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Demiurge4 posted:

I really want to play around with TC5 but there aren't any good packs I've been able to find and I don't have the time to put the work in myself. Ideally I'd like to get my hands on whatever build Direwolf20 is using in his serverplay series because it has the new Tinkers and stuff as well, but I haven't been able to find it.
There's gotta be something on Technic by now, right?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I usually have a TD retriever set to keep 16 of each ingredient in the biofuel generator and just put a lever on it and keep it off till it's got a few of each.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Taffer posted:

The aptly named "Server tools - backup" mod. It does what it says and has options.

http://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/servertools-backup

http://servertools.info/#!pages/modules/core.md

You need "core" to run it. The other servertools mods are good too.

Thanks, I'll have a look. Found some others like FTB Utilities but it comes with a bunch of bells and whistles I don't need or want.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

bigperm posted:

I usually have a TD retriever set to keep 16 of each ingredient in the biofuel generator and just put a lever on it and keep it off till it's got a few of each.

How do you set this up? I can't really figure out how a retriever is better than a bank of servos, given I need an Eye of Ender to make it. It looks like the same UI and everything outside of that.

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I really want to play around with TC5 but there aren't any good packs I've been able to find and I don't have the time to put the work in myself. Ideally I'd like to get my hands on whatever build Direwolf20 is using in his serverplay series because it has the new Tinkers and stuff as well, but I haven't been able to find it.

I had sworn I would never manually mod Minecraft ever again after too many days burned attempting that poo poo, but Thyrork's MultiMC post showed me how easy it can be. The only thing I didn't understand was that "install the latest forge" is actually a button in the MultiMC interface.

Curse 1.8.9 Filtered:
http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft?filter-project-game-version=1.8.9&filter-project-sort=1

1.8.9 Not Enough Mods:
https://bot.notenoughmods.com/1.8.9.html

CheetoRamen fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 30, 2016

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How do you set this up? I can't really figure out how a retriever is better than a bank of servos, given I need an Eye of Ender to make it. It looks like the same UI and everything outside of that.

Well, you just need 1 retriever on the biofuel generator. Then you just attach it to your inventory or inventories which hold your plants/seeds/saplings with itemducts. Put them all in the filter and set it to keep 16 in at all times.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I am playing around with FTB Unstable - Its 1.8.9 with TC and Botania with new packs added when available.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I just installed thaumcraft 5 for my son (hes 4 and normally just plays vanilla)

Left him alone for about 8 minutes, and oh my god when i came back in.

He had turned a beach into taint. Had spawned all the named mobs (as well as all the new eggs) and set up a few lines of these roundish auto wand things as well as a bank of auto crossbow launchers all stacked with fire arrows. Everything was shooting and firing and howling.

It was absolute madness

I had to show him how to get the golems to move by putting the cores on ground, and once i did that his army of tiny robots went into action as well.

This looks pretty awesome, im going to have to install a few of the other basics and give ti a go myself.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Got into Banished recently, if you can get past a half hour of absurdly difficult horseshit it's a really fun pack. Carving out a safe area in a giant cave system full of Lycanite's mobs with Epic Siege on is quite the challenge, and actually having to kill mobs to get strong enough to kill mobs is an interesting design decision (seriously, what the gently caress)

I would advise anyone starting this to start the questline before hopping through the portal at the start, as well as picking up the two chests in the starting area. Then quickly find an area you can hole up in by walling up the caves, spend your first 5 power on a Log, then turn that in for the Survival quest that gives you a crafting bench and a bed, then USE THE BED. If you do not do this, you will respawn in the dark, a long way from your death point, with no way to get back to your grave. If you hear ominous whispering, you need to be prepared for it and beat the poo poo out of as it arrives (it will come and find you.) The absolute first thing you purchase after that single log is a sapling, then make wherever you plant it your new base. After that, get the Grow spell and spam it on the sapling- if it has enough space, it will grow, hollow out a 7x7x7 area for it- and farm it for wood.

You can use the Grow spell on grass to get flowers for dye, and a plant seed called the Fluffy Puff. This is important. Planting and cultivating a few of these is an easy source of string and wool.

The Survival quests give you good poo poo for very little investment, do them all as soon as is convenient.

Mining is Dangerous. If you don't know why, you'll find out. It's not explosive ores or silverfish, but just... be prepared.

Farming is Also Dangerous, more so but less often.

Try to log every kill as its corresponding repeatable quest in the Dark Power questline, because that's how you get spells and awkward resources and, eventually, Dungeons. These dungeons are Very Dangerous.

Mage Light 2 is the best spell in the game and you need it as soon as possible.

Epic Siege makes vanilla mobs serious business. Zombies can place cobble and dig through dirt, Creepers are much faster and will explode on walls if they can see you on the other side, Skeletons have elemental arrows. Occasionally you'll come up against a gently caress You such as a Zombie that places TNT or an Ender Creeper that does exactly what you think it does as well as explode twice as intensely. It's nowhere near as bad as Blast Off but it's still very, very scary.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
If you're playing Banished, also don't forget creepers will purposefully explode on chests. You have to put them on the ceiling, or in a Very Secure Room with slabs on the floor.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

1.8.9 status: inventory tweaks is different and missing functionality

see: right click to craft entire stack, shift-scrollwheel to move things in and out of inventories

poo poo is really messing with my mind

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Glory of Arioch posted:

1.8.9 status: inventory tweaks is different and missing functionality

see: right click to craft entire stack, shift-scrollwheel to move things in and out of inventories

poo poo is really messing with my mind

"Things that people mistakenly attributed to Inventory Tweaks"

Scrollwheel-as-click was NEI's function, not sure where the right-click thing came from.

The only exclusively mouse-based trigger in Inventory Tweaks has been using the middle-click for sort.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Kobata posted:

"Things that people mistakenly attributed to Inventory Tweaks"

Scrollwheel-as-click was NEI's function, not sure where the right-click thing came from.

The only exclusively mouse-based trigger in Inventory Tweaks has been using the middle-click for sort.

oh, really

then nevermind, i shift my blame appropriately

JEI is also missing F7 for light levels :argh:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

If you're playing Banished, also don't forget creepers will purposefully explode on chests. You have to put them on the ceiling, or in a Very Secure Room with slabs on the floor.

I found this out when a bunch of zombies broke into my treasury room and a creeper decided to beeline for my chest full of gems and diamonds and explode on it.

Also the other important spell is "snare", it's an projectile -> zone -> entangle + damage, and its cheap and effective against everything because it holds them in place and does damage and it's persistent for about 6 seconds, the entangle will last about 30 seconds so you have time to cast it again. and you can kill mobs though ceilings and doors with it. It will also guaranteed kill you if you get caught in it if you don't have thaumcraft fortress armor or an ars magica armor set equipped.

Edit: they are also replacing Equivlent exchange with project E

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cryohazard posted:

.. useful banished info

You didn't mention the ninja skeletons that teleport into your base and two-shot you.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I tried out Banished but it seems designed to gently caress you. Mob griefing is never not anti-fun.

Also what's the point of the aura stuff? The tutorial talks about water as an analogy but you're literally just pumping numbers up so they can fall down and power stuff?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ambaire posted:

You didn't mention the ninja skeletons that teleport into your base and two-shot you.

Those spawn like any other skeleton.

Demiurge4 posted:

I tried out Banished but it seems designed to gently caress you. Mob griefing is never not anti-fun.

Also what's the point of the aura stuff? The tutorial talks about water as an analogy but you're literally just pumping numbers up so they can fall down and power stuff?

It's exactly as you described, but it's used as a way to power machines for that mod, a bunch you actually need to get stuff because it won't spawn any other way.

The cascade spawner you use in the nether to spawn ghasts for their tears.
The smelter and processor for speedy smelting stuff and doubling ores.
The alter is used for making tons of other mod stuff.
Orange protection amulet makes you immune to explosions, red fire, green poison, white fall damage, I stick with the orange.

The Fairy ring with a bunch of charms is a NECESSITY, it makes the game hell of a lot easier.

Scarer: makes so enemies dont' spawn nearby (not for spawners)
Extinguisher: puts you out if you are on fire,
pusher: pushes mobs away:
fighter: randomly attacks mobs

There's a bunch of other ones (some are crap), but the ones listed above makes life so much easier.

And if you are having trouble with ender creepers, they will attack utility mobs so leaving a few sacrificial turrets or golems outside your base helps alot.
I'm not sure if the botania entropy flower will stop creeper explosions, I have yet to check that.

Demiurge4 posted:

Agreed, at least give us some reasonable tools to more or less stop it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

Agreed, at least give us some reasonable tools to more or less stop it.

It's just a weird design choice. You can secure your stuff with turrets, slabs and chests on the roof. There exist ways to limit mob spawning around you and so the mod is designed to let you avoid mob griefing. Leaving it in (and turning it way up) is dumb as hell because it plays into the traditional inverse difficulty curve where the game is insanely difficult in the first half and one wrong step will destroy everything you've built, but trivially easy in the late game. When a creeper blew up my tree and tiny farm and on top of that set everything on fire, I knew it was time to move on.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Watching some FTB Infinity Evolved streams, I noticed a lot of them use teleport systems inside their base where they will jump (maybe?) or look down at a block and sneak/activate it, to sort of jury-rig an elevator system.

What is that system?

I know there's also Mystcraft intra-linking, but right clicking and selecting feels inelegant.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Devor posted:

Watching some FTB Infinity Evolved streams, I noticed a lot of them use teleport systems inside their base where they will jump (maybe?) or look down at a block and sneak/activate it, to sort of jury-rig an elevator system.

What is that system?

Sounds like Openblocks Elevators to me. Jumping while standing on it takes you to the next one above it, and sneaking takes you to the next one below.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There's also the EnderIO Travel Anchor if you want something that isn't restricted to directly above and below you.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Banished tips: I don't know if this is fixed yet, but the little easy to make turrets you can make will not target Lycanite's Mobs unless you either use a targeting book on every individual mob (lolno), or edit the config files to add them (if you google about it there's pre-written lists) If you do this, make a big pile of sniper turrets and put them various places in your base. You can then apply balls of slime to them to make their shots slow. If you have a few around and they're all upgraded, they'll repeatedly knockback and heavily slow everything that goes near your base, giving you a pretty large safe zone. It's really nice.

Turn off Ender Creepers. Seriously whoever put those in is a huge piece of poo poo. I had one break my game by aggroing, teleporting to me, and instakilling me in the starting room in the Overworld, shunting me outside to the standard map spawn instead of my little prison cube. They're really stupid mobs against which there is little/no way to defend and are aggressively unfun. Edit your config files and turn those stupid things off.

Snare will completely murder anything it hits, including you. It roots for a long time and applies a heavy DoT and 1-2 applications of it will kill pretty much every enemy in the game. Be careful though, because it's AOE and if you hit an enemy in point blank (or manage to hit a wall next to you with it) then it'll mess you up pretty bad too.

As someone else said, Magelight 2 is completely amazing. Spam it everywhere and light the world. Between Magelight 2, Snare, the Dig spells, and reconfigured turrets you can carve out a nice, big, well lit space, kill everything that tries to hurt you while you're doing it, then set up heavy duty automated defenses to murder invaders.

Lastly, recognize Banished for what it is - it's pretty light on grinding or building things and HEAVY on murdering you. It will try and kill you in new and inventive ways. It's very, very much a combat oriented pack.

Magres fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 31, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there way to coarsely control a Big Reactor with just a sticky piston and some rednet ports? I thought I read somewhere that there was a way to have the piston to:

1. Extend onto one port, set to 0% control rods, if the energy % is under 50%.
2. Retract onto another port, set to 100% control rods, if the energy % is above 50%.

I can get into rednet controller shenanigans, but I wanted an easy controller for BFSR players to see in the tutorial world.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there way to coarsely control a Big Reactor with just a sticky piston and some rednet ports? I thought I read somewhere that there was a way to have the piston to:

1. Extend onto one port, set to 0% control rods, if the energy % is under 50%.
2. Retract onto another port, set to 100% control rods, if the energy % is above 50%.

I can get into rednet controller shenanigans, but I wanted an easy controller for BFSR players to see in the tutorial world.

Use rednet to pipe a storage fill % signal output into a rod insertion % input.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Magres posted:

Lastly, recognize Banished for what it is - it's pretty light on grinding or building things and HEAVY on murdering you. It will try and kill you in new and inventive ways. It's very, very much a combat oriented pack.

i don't get why someone would make a mod like that because anything related to combat in minecraft is universally awful

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Way back in the Voltz series, the intrepid trio built a square Large Hadron Collider attached to a fusion reactor. Is there anything like that in current modded Minecraft?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 31, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't get why someone would make a mod like that because anything related to combat in minecraft is universally awful

It's fun when you blast things with crazy spells instead of trying to use Minecraft's awkward melee combat.

Also it's kinda AM2's magic combat (which is fun) combined with siege warfare and trench warfare - at one point I took on a dungeon I wasn't ready for by clearing it room by room and setting up shotgun turrets in the doorways and rebuilding the dungeon as I went to fortify it to suit my purposes. Siege warfare with turrets and clearing rooms and struggling against an infinite horde of enemies until you get to the spawners is actually really fun in my experience. And meanwhile you need to find ways to secure your own home against a constant threat of invasion (if turrets haven't been fixed yet, I highly recommend doing the turret fix to make them target all mobs instead of just vanilla mobs, it makes the modpack a lot, lot more fun)

Actually with any luck, with 1.9 and the combat overhaul melee combat will be more fun and minecraft combat won't be so reviled :v:

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 31, 2016

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Is it normal that Mekanism Electrolytic Separators take absolutely massive amounts of power to run?

The wiki says they take about 400 joules per tick, which I think should be about 160 RF/t.

However when I hook up three separators my capacitor bank goes from showing a +2k/t increase to about a -1k/t decrease. And that's with Energy Upgrades too.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so, uh, Agrarian Skies 2

the entire - the entire - thermal expansion part of the "make machines to make life easier!" quest branch is gated behind you having enderium and an eye of ender

i mean you can make it in a smeltery, and you get blaze powder from sifting dust, but jesus christ

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

RaspberryCommie posted:

Is it normal that Mekanism Electrolytic Separators take absolutely massive amounts of power to run?

The wiki says they take about 400 joules per tick, which I think should be about 160 RF/t.

However when I hook up three separators my capacitor bank goes from showing a +2k/t increase to about a -1k/t decrease. And that's with Energy Upgrades too.

The wiki is wrong, is what massively upped to make hydrogen worthless.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

okay so i am doing thaumcraft 5 stuff and it's been improved quite a bit so far, i like that the research minigame isn't about gathering resources from an ever-shrinking pool of scannable objects and is instead about combining a limited pool of aspects with redress if you gently caress up

but man gently caress aqua

is there a better way to deal with aqua in the tc5 research game other than making victus

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

okay so i am doing thaumcraft 5 stuff and it's been improved quite a bit so far, i like that the research minigame isn't about gathering resources from an ever-shrinking pool of scannable objects and is instead about combining a limited pool of aspects with redress if you gently caress up

but man gently caress aqua

is there a better way to deal with aqua in the tc5 research game other than making victus

Aqua is also used with perditio to make the death aspect.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
So, a few thoughts about TC5.

1) This is the way aura should have been for TC3. It was so easy to drain that to nothing and render an area utterly useless, now, there's enough nodes and the aura types are split up so it stays usable.

2) Easy mode research is actually a reasonable alternative if you don't want to do the research. It costs experience levels now, which are never hard to get.

3) Golems are easier to unlock than people are thinking - make a snow golem and scan it. No need to find an iron golem (or make one).

4) It takes less than five minutes to go through an entire base and ensure you've got all your scans, even with digging out of inventories now, thanks to the floating ? mark indicator on things in-world and the fact that it's just a right click isntead of having to hold for a few seconds. Unlocks stuff pretty drat quick.

5) One of the warp events is now the creeper hiss. I nearly jumped out of my world because of it. Scared the hell out of me.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Demiurge4 posted:

Aqua is also used with perditio to make the death aspect.

oh very naice, thanks, i was not expecting this

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Glory of Arioch posted:

oh very naice, thanks, i was not expecting this

This'll help your woes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to set up a tutorial turbine reactor in the BFSR tutorial world, and I'm finding myself struggling to remember what numbers work well. I'm not trying to be perfect here, just pretty good. A rule of thumb I had was that one reactor of XYZ dimensions, cooled with just water, would roughly power 4 turbines each having the same XYZ dimensions--slightly throttled to keep the spinning speed at a multiple of 900rpm.

The demo turbine reactor right now is 7x7x9, with 5 fuel rods in an X. It is cooled just by water. No fancy stuff in there. IIRC for the 7x7x9, I should have at least one layer of enderium blocks. Does that look good?