Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

I looked through the list of keybinds twice, but I was looking for a thaumcraft section which probably explains why I missed it.

How DO you get something with taint essentia for all these research quests anyway? Do I just keep dumping large, essentia heavy pieces of junk in the cauldron a moderately safe distance away and across a river from my base and hope something goes wrong? Or is there an easier way to make massive amounts of flux?

From my experience with TC4, the easiest way to get taint research was to spawn thaumslimes by massively overflowing a cauldron in a pit. A few stacks of cobble did the job. In TC6 the cauldron might not overflow the same way, sounds like. You might have to explore and find an actual tainted biome. Also, I'd be more careful than even that. The aura system seems to be like TC2, where it spread through nearby chunks. Thus, Taint will spread through the air and not just over land, so it's harder to contain. Might be easier to clean up though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, there's no overflow from the basic cauldron - instead you get a lot of flux gas spewing into the air. I put it far enough away that it's only barely chunkloaded when I'm in my base, so even aura overflow shouldn't be too awful, though I'm curious what kind of taint effects we'll get compared to TC4. I think i saw somewhere that one of the symptoms can be vis crystal clusters becoming tainted, so maybe I should get an infusion altar and make some placable crystal clusters in my tainted chunk.

I'm more concerned wtih accidental flux buildup in my real actual work cauldron, because there's always a couple leftover bits (though throwing quartz fragments in can be great for cleaning up a lot of the leftovers and giving you some essentia crystals, though without going to the nether the amount of quartz adds up extremely fast).

All this really makes me miss Blightfall. I hope once this is polished up we get a really nice thaumcraft centric modpack.

Honestly, I just want ANY modpack as handcrafted and good as Blightfall - 'here's a bunch of mods and a randomly generated world/skyblock and no real goal or reward for exploration GL' just isn't the same.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 26, 2018

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like that, but for the more immediate future I'm hoping the various addon mods make a return. Thaumic Energistics, Thaumic Tinkerer, Thaumic Exploration, Thaumic Horizons, Automagy, Technomancy, Arcane Engineering, Witching Gadgets, etc. And that there are more to come.

Oh by the way, if you play with TC6, get Thaumic JEI.

Now that I think of it, the fact that people could and did make all of these addons for Thaumcraft is part of its uniqueness and charm.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 27, 2018

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Black Pants posted:

I'd like that, but for the more immediate future I'm hoping the various addon mods make a return. Thaumic Energistics, Thaumic Tinkerer, Thaumic Exploration, Thaumic Horizons, Automagy, Technomancy, Arcane Engineering, Witching Gadgets, etc. And that there are more to come.

Oh by the way, if you play with TC6, get Thaumic JEI.

Now that I think of it, the fact that people could and did make all of these addons for Thaumcraft is part of its uniqueness and charm.

I think I saw the Automagy dev saying they'd definitely make a port for TC6. Which is good, because of all the addons, it's the one I couldn't live without.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is there any way in TC6 to check, by element, what items it has? I know in the earlier versions you could just hover over, say, Aer, to see all the items you'd discovered that have Aer. Can't find such a thing now.
It would really help to see a list of viable items for rarer types, like Instrumentum or Alkimia.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Anyone have a modpack they would recommend for Vivecraft? Ideally something with a decent bit of content that doesn't add a huge amount of nausea inducing lag.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had revisited Blightfall to see some of the logistics problems with actually running the Dawn Machine. Previously, I gave up right after I got about that far and had sustainable loops supplying the essentia. That thing really eats up the cognitio and ordo. I've also had the offering crash and delete all my essentia drives I had plugged into it. Fortunately, I have a backup mod running. And that's supposed to be better than putting it on a ship?

Manually moving it is a real pain because I lose all the essentia stuck in it, and the tubes naturally want to interlock when I'm laying them out, and then they jam up. Even after clearing them, I'll find a few connections that simply have to be redone.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had revisited Blightfall to see some of the logistics problems with actually running the Dawn Machine. Previously, I gave up right after I got about that far and had sustainable loops supplying the essentia. That thing really eats up the cognitio and ordo. I've also had the offering crash and delete all my essentia drives I had plugged into it. Fortunately, I have a backup mod running. And that's supposed to be better than putting it on a ship?

Manually moving it is a real pain because I lose all the essentia stuck in it, and the tubes naturally want to interlock when I'm laying them out, and then they jam up. Even after clearing them, I'll find a few connections that simply have to be redone.

What I did for the Dawn Machine was to avoid essentia drives completely. I put a vanilla ender chest on it, and used that to manually fill jars at my main base. I guess you could do it with modded ender chests, too, but I was lazy. I was also careful to always point my airship the same cardinal direction when I parked it, and never allowed it to straddle a chunk boundary. Doing this seemed to keep my tubes from interlocking.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

What I did for the Dawn Machine was to avoid essentia drives completely. I put a vanilla ender chest on it, and used that to manually fill jars at my main base. I guess you could do it with modded ender chests, too, but I was lazy. I was also careful to always point my airship the same cardinal direction when I parked it, and never allowed it to straddle a chunk boundary. Doing this seemed to keep my tubes from interlocking.

How well does Archimedes Ships handle AE2 stuff? I'm assuming "not at all" Can it at least do essentia tubes? I am generally doing okay using the offering of the dawn with 2 pairs of essentia providers. This is much easier issue to connect than one provider, and I'd need a controller if I were using export buses.

So far, I've just been cleaning the ocean around my base at beta by laying down an angel block, creating a concrete pad, and then going to business. In my head, I imagined this exchange happening a hundred years later after the world was fixed:

[A boat goes past a pile of floating concrete]
"Why don't we ever get rid of those?"
"They're memorials to the Steve-class that cleaned up this planet."
"Yeah but wasn't he a little crazy?"
"Well, yeah, he was a Steve-class."
"No, like really crazy. Didn't they find him standing in blood, eating zombie brains, speaking incoherently?"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How well does Archimedes Ships handle AE2 stuff? I'm assuming "not at all" Can it at least do essentia tubes? I am generally doing okay using the offering of the dawn with 2 pairs of essentia providers. This is much easier issue to connect than one provider, and I'd need a controller if I were using export buses.

I never even tried using any applied energistics stuff on the ships at all. Not even once. All I did was vanilla blocks, Thaumcraft tubes, Thaumcraft jars, and the Dawn Machine.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any recomendations on a modpack to play with the new Thaumcraft?

I've updated NST Frostburn and added Thaumcraft (TC6) to it for those who want. :)

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Pity about Elucent, that Albedo lighting library was looking pretty awesome.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Progress is back! New pack, new version, new shiny server box to run everything with great performance (hopefully). Huge thanks to everyone who helped.

Pack: (Twitch launcher) https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/progress
Server IP: 136.33.144.178
Discord: https://discord.gg/xawPyXT
Dynmap: http://136.33.144.178:8123

I'll make a real thread once I've stress tested some gameplay changes and tweaked things to my liking. No whitelist, anyone is welcome. Standard server rules apply.

E: oops i broke something, fixing momentarily

Taffer fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 27, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Taffer posted:

Progress is back! New pack, new version, new shiny server box to run everything with great performance (hopefully). Huge thanks to everyone who helped.

Pack: (Twitch launcher) https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/progress
Server IP: 136.33.144.178
Discord: https://discord.gg/xawPyXT
Dynmap: http://136.33.144.178:8123

I'll make a real thread once I've stress tested some gameplay changes and tweaked things to my liking. No whitelist, anyone is welcome. Standard server rules apply.

Tried to launch this, got an error:

quote:

Astral Sorcery is missing mods it depends on.
Include the following mods or remove Astral Sorcery.

forge 14.23.1.2560 or above

The twitch launcher is saying it is using forge 14.23.1.2555.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Tried to launch this, got an error:

The twitch launcher is saying it is using forge 14.23.1.2555.

yeah i broke it cause i'm not used to curse yet. Fixed version is under review right now, should be up shortly

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It's now up and working :greencube:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Taffer posted:

yeah i broke it cause i'm not used to curse yet. Fixed version is under review right now, should be up shortly

That worked. Thanks!

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008
What launcher can you use to download a modpack hosted on that site other than the Twitch launcher?

Edit: Nevermind, figured out how to do it using the newest MultiMC. (Just import the Progress-1.0.whatever.zip.)

Willheim Wordsworth fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 28, 2018

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I connected essentia pipes to a pair of Thaumic Energistics Essentia Providers, attached to a quantum networking ring, linking back to my base. Which had the side effect of needing to leave the game and come back in (just the world, not the entire client) each time I moved the structure with the Offering of Dawn or it'd CTD shortly after.

I'd still need to reconstruct the AE2 parts each move, but that was just the ring and a line of cable. And then I'd sit and wait until needing to move it next. I gave up after 100%ing the southern plains, the jungle, the mycelium island, the southern floating island, and magical forest. IE, everything in the immediate vicinity around Beta where I had my base.

It's really nice to see them all cleaned but it's a shame the forest, magical forest and jungle become 'grasslands with some occasional trees' by the time you get to clean them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Who would have thought that the biggest hurdle to my magic career would be rabbits? The gauntlet needs rabbit skins and I have searched far and wide for the drat furry bastards. Nothing.

Vib Rib posted:

Is there any way in TC6 to check, by element, what items it has? I know in the earlier versions you could just hover over, say, Aer, to see all the items you'd discovered that have Aer. Can't find such a thing now.
It would really help to see a list of viable items for rarer types, like Instrumentum or Alkimia.
Also still hoping there's something I'm missing and this isn't just a removed feature because Magic essentia is hard as hell for me to get now.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Vib Rib posted:

Who would have thought that the biggest hurdle to my magic career would be rabbits? The gauntlet needs rabbit skins and I have searched far and wide for the drat furry bastards. Nothing.

Also still hoping there's something I'm missing and this isn't just a removed feature because Magic essentia is hard as hell for me to get now.

Just to confirm, you're checking deserts for the rabbits

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Devor posted:

Just to confirm, you're checking deserts for the rabbits
Taiga, so far. Wiki says they show up there, too. So far have not found a single desert in about a 2k radius though. Still looking by means of slimesling and slimeboots.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i really, absolutely want a blightfall sequel now that new thaumcraft is out

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there a way to add mods to a modpack I got through the twitch launcher? I can easily add mods to a custom profile I made myself, but for some reason I can't just do the same to a modpack someone else made that I downloaded - the button's just not there.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there a way to add mods to a modpack I got through the twitch launcher? I can easily add mods to a custom profile I made myself, but for some reason I can't just do the same to a modpack someone else made that I downloaded - the button's just not there.

The ... button, click profile options. Uncheck locked.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Thank you very much. I got this little Thaumaturgy's Rebirth pack so I could try the new thaumcraft, but I cant play minecraft without Thermal mods anymore.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Question about a chaos dragon fight.

I fly out to 10,000 0 and found a dragon.

As i got close the boss hp bar disappeared and i found the 2 circles of obsidian towers with the crystals.

No boss, so i destoryed the crystals.

Nothing happened.

So i headed back to port and the chaos dragon was there, making his way back to the chaos island.

There is thunder sounds and he has the death animation of the ender dragon, but he is glowing brighter the closer he gets to the island.

We make it back the 10k blocks and he disappears....

so now the end is filled with thunder.

WTF? what am i meant to do?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Salis Mundus is probably your best source of Praecantatio. But yes I'm sure that'll be added in later releases.

Note: Salis Mundus can be made with any vis crystal, not just the prime aspects.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

They're just buggy, although I've never heard of "filled with thunder." If you can't find him to finish him off, he probably just despawned, which happened to me all the time when I did it in 1.10 DE. It's supposed to be better now. All you can do if you can't get the dragon to show back up is move on to the next island. If the dragon despawns, the chaos shard for that island stays locked in the force field and unlootable.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

When you kill a chaos guardian, it makes a bunch of lightning shoot around where the chaos shard is buried. Maybe try digging for it?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Goddamn, I'm playing a custom modpack and I kept thinking I was losing items. I have only one Astral Sorcery aquamarine in my storage (a regular chest), and I was sure I'd picked up more. Not the first time I returned home to think "didn't I have more of this item?"
But now my storage chest with all my vis crystals in it has massive amounts missing -- only a single water crystal and a single fire crystal. The other shortages I wasn't sure but of this one I have no doubt.

I have no idea what could have caused this -- Quark's autosort to nearby chests button, maybe. Some sort of stacking error in Thaumcraft 6 itself. Some weird mod conflict out of several dozen that I'll never be able to pinpoint. Whatever the case, items vanishing from storage is a pretty good reason to stop. I finally got those rabbit hides, too. Kind of a bummer.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

They're just buggy, although I've never heard of "filled with thunder." If you can't find him to finish him off, he probably just despawned, which happened to me all the time when I did it in 1.10 DE. It's supposed to be better now. All you can do if you can't get the dragon to show back up is move on to the next island. If the dragon despawns, the chaos shard for that island stays locked in the force field and unlootable.

Well i dug down and got the shard and then the island expolded, so i guess i kill it.

So i then went to do another one.

I died about 30 times before i managed to kill it. That they can respawn their crystals, which heal them and block all damage is a bullshit mechanic. Then when they are about 20% health they stay far away from you....

And then the game crashed. No poo poo. So im trying to log back in and see if i got the quest done....

Will never look for one of these again.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

Goddamn, I'm playing a custom modpack and I kept thinking I was losing items. I have only one Astral Sorcery aquamarine in my storage (a regular chest), and I was sure I'd picked up more. Not the first time I returned home to think "didn't I have more of this item?"
But now my storage chest with all my vis crystals in it has massive amounts missing -- only a single water crystal and a single fire crystal. The other shortages I wasn't sure but of this one I have no doubt.

I have no idea what could have caused this -- Quark's autosort to nearby chests button, maybe. Some sort of stacking error in Thaumcraft 6 itself. Some weird mod conflict out of several dozen that I'll never be able to pinpoint. Whatever the case, items vanishing from storage is a pretty good reason to stop. I finally got those rabbit hides, too. Kind of a bummer.

It's an error in tc6. They were having trouble tracking down the cause but I think it may have been found.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That's odd, I'm not seeing it. I'm using AA crates and a simple ME system though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Serifina posted:

It's an error in tc6. They were having trouble tracking down the cause but I think it may have been found.
Well, it's good to know I'm not crazy, at least. Does it affect items other than vis crystals? They're the only thing I'm 100% sure that I lost, the others were just reinforced hunches after seeing that. But I've definitely seen that "number of items in a stack resets to 0 until you pick them up" bug, which seems to lead to this.

E: Mm, yep. Definitely not the first time I thought "I'm pretty sure I had more than one quartz block".

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 28, 2018

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Meskhenet posted:

Well i dug down and got the shard and then the island expolded, so i guess i kill it.

So i then went to do another one.

I died about 30 times before i managed to kill it. That they can respawn their crystals, which heal them and block all damage is a bullshit mechanic. Then when they are about 20% health they stay far away from you....

And then the game crashed. No poo poo. So im trying to log back in and see if i got the quest done....

Will never look for one of these again.

If you're still playing MS2, you'll have to kill 20-something of them to get all the shards you need for the Atomic Multiplier. Although I haven't played in quite a few patches and reportedly he rebalanced the creative items (again), so maybe it's less now. You need a hell of a lot of chaos to get through the endgame. It's the main reason to get the Multiplier, at which point you just dunk them in there and spend a bunch of RF to make more.

Trick is to just never stop moving more than a couple seconds at a time. If you need longer than that to take out a crystal or whatever, just make another lap of the island and shoot at it when you come back.When I did it in 1.10, you could teleport out without resetting their health. Just keep an eye out for the beams connecting to him; those let you immediately identify when a crystal respawned.

Also pack a couple fully upgraded flux capacitors. They give you a lot more breathing room to live through it even if you do eat a blue fireball volley or two.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Funky Locomotion is similar to RP2 frames, and exists in most modern minecraft versions.

Yeah but thats just a copy. Anyone can copy a mod, but only Eloraam could come up with the frames in the first place. If she came back I'm sure it wouldn't be to make a direct clone of Red Power, it would be to make some cool new better thing. We could finally have a use for Tungsten Ore!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

Yeah but thats just a copy. Anyone can copy a mod, but only Eloraam could come up with the frames in the first place. If she came back I'm sure it wouldn't be to make a direct clone of Red Power, it would be to make some cool new better thing. We could finally have a use for Tungsten Ore!

A cool new better thing like another Minecraft clone.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black Pants posted:

A cool new better thing like another Minecraft clone.

Infiniminer Clone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

Well, it's good to know I'm not crazy, at least. Does it affect items other than vis crystals? They're the only thing I'm 100% sure that I lost, the others were just reinforced hunches after seeing that. But I've definitely seen that "number of items in a stack resets to 0 until you pick them up" bug, which seems to lead to this.

E: Mm, yep. Definitely not the first time I thought "I'm pretty sure I had more than one quartz block".

Yeah, I lost a bunch of iron plates to it. See here: https://github.com/Azanor/thaumcraft-beta/issues/84