Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

MaliciousOnion posted:

The only thing I can see Woot being good for now is dragon farming. The amount of effort that goes into making a wither factory, for example, necessitates having a wither farm to start with.
Ender Dragon is specifically hard-blacklisted in code, as is the Chaos Guardian in anything after 1.10, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Ender Dragon is specifically hard-blacklisted in code, as is the Chaos Guardian in anything after 1.10, IIRC.

What do you mean by hard-blacklisted? The Woot wiki seems clear that the factory can be set up to farm Ender Dragons (read: spit out items from Ender Dragons). It probably has to be hard-coded on what items it spits out though - since the Woot Factory sets up a little test-spawn to figure out what drops it should be making. It's possible that it would test-create-kill a few ender dragons down at bedrock, though.

The whole conceit of Woot is that it's a mob farm that doesn't actually create entities - it just figures out what should be dropping, and creates the items directly from RF.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Devor posted:

What do you mean by hard-blacklisted? The Woot wiki seems clear that the factory can be set up to farm Ender Dragons (read: spit out items from Ender Dragons). It probably has to be hard-coded on what items it spits out though - since the Woot Factory sets up a little test-spawn to figure out what drops it should be making. It's possible that it would test-create-kill a few ender dragons down at bedrock, though.

The whole conceit of Woot is that it's a mob farm that doesn't actually create entities - it just figures out what should be dropping, and creates the items directly from RF.
Until it's learned the drop rates of a mob it creates a little kill chamber of bedrock (either in the air or at BR level, I forget) at the location of the factory and kills a bunch of that mob. I think it does at least 100 of each kind before it switches over to the library full time.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ImpactVector posted:

Until it's learned the drop rates of a mob it creates a little kill chamber of bedrock (either in the air or at BR level, I forget) at the location of the factory and kills a bunch of that mob. I think it does at least 100 of each kind before it switches over to the library full time.

Yeah, I read that about it too. But I also read that it says it can do Ender Dragon drops, so I figured it had some way of either spawning them for the kill chamber (RF Tools can have Ender Dragon dimensions, after all) or just cheated and used some other method of calling an Ender Dragon death.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Got a stupid Thermal question: what's the best way to fill up a hardened tank with lava?

I'm trying the fluid allocator, but it doesn't seem to want to just pull lava from the world (unless I'm missing something obvious).

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Chaos Guardian ever worked? I wouldn't have expected it to, given the shards aren't actually dropped by them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Got a stupid Thermal question: what's the best way to fill up a hardened tank with lava?

I'm trying the fluid allocator, but it doesn't seem to want to just pull lava from the world (unless I'm missing something obvious).

The fluid allocator doesn't pull liquid from the world at all. What it does is evenly distribute fluid it gets from pipes to the machines on its output sides.

What you want is a reservoir. It's basically a bucket that can hold more fluid. Put it in Fill mode, then spam right click on a bunch of lava to suck it up. Then later you can empty it into a tank or a machine or whatever. You can enchant reservoirs and upgrade them too -- a resonant holding IV reservoir holds 750 buckets.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The fluid allocator doesn't pull liquid from the world at all. What it does is evenly distribute fluid it gets from pipes to the machines on its output sides.

What you want is a reservoir. It's basically a bucket that can hold more fluid. Put it in Fill mode, then spam right click on a bunch of lava to suck it up. Then later you can empty it into a tank or a machine or whatever. You can enchant reservoirs and upgrade them too -- a resonant holding IV reservoir holds 750 buckets.
Ah, nice, thanks!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ah, nice, thanks!

Or if you want to automate lava and have lots of power available, you can put cobblestone in a Magma crucible, and create lava directly without needing to find it in the world.

If your mods have various other blocks, sometimes you can melt them into lava for less power (magma blocks maybe?)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm still working on "lots of power available", but between a lava and creosote I've manged to get a bunch banked.

Now if I can get my stupid "Biomes O' Plenty isn't generating nether quartz" issue fixed, I'm golden. I don't know why I'm so het up on using this specifically instead of just switching back to Natura, though. I guess I'm just being pig-headed because I don't want multiple biome mods.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Natura is a whole hell of a lot less expansive than BoP. I think they get along okay.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Like I said, I'm just being pig-headed more than anything else. I'm trying to do my "little to no redundancy pack" thing, so I'm trying to use just one biome mod. I'm sure if I used them both the problem would solve itself.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Like I said, I'm just being pig-headed more than anything else. I'm trying to do my "little to no redundancy pack" thing, so I'm trying to use just one biome mod. I'm sure if I used them both the problem would solve itself.

Natura isn't a biome or worldgen overhaul mod. It doesn't add any biomes and doesn't change the terrain, it just adds trees/plants etc. It's made to work with biome mods like BOP.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, whatever the problem was, I got around it by recreating my entire modpack in a new instance. :v: I guess something in the various config files got screwed up as I was trying out mods, because I was unable to get nether quartz to spawn even with a bunch of stuff turned off.

Regardless, now I'm just trying to config away duplicate ores and hoping I don't screw everything up again.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Ah ha! I've wanted an item like this for literally years.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Falcon2001 posted:

Ah ha! I've wanted an item like this for literally years.

The Mekanism portable tank can do this, too, and it's been around for a while. The thermal expansion one is a lot easier to use, though. As a bonus, the thermal expansion tanks and reservoirs also work as buckets in crafting tables -- for making IE treated wood, for example, you can craft multiple sets of treated wood with the tank/reservoir.

I once filled a 750 bucket reservoir by chugging a fire resistance potion and swimming in the lava sea in the nether, holding down right click. :v:

The new Thermal Expansion (etc) mods are really, really good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

As a bonus, the thermal expansion tanks and reservoirs also work as buckets in crafting tables -- for making IE treated wood, for example, you can craft multiple sets of treated wood with the tank/reservoir.
:aaaaa:

I'm learning so much today!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

ImpactVector posted:

This is no longer the case. Woot now has it's own, inaccessible, dimension that it uses to run this process.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Serifina posted:

This is no longer the case. Woot now has it's own, inaccessible, dimension that it uses to run this process.
Ah, my bad. It's been a year or two since I've looked closely at the code.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Serifina posted:

That must have made some interesting bugs during testing. Imagine how frustrating to learn something going wonky in a dimension you can't even reach would affect performance.

Bug Fix: Stopped filling the Woot dimension with immortal chunkloaded Ender Dragons.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Ok I think I figured out what I want in a modpack: limited to no overlap. Basically what I find frustrating about most modpacks is they give you a million different ways to accomplish tasks (e.g. power generation) but unless they balance it properly only a handful of the methods are actually sane/feasible so you end up with this ridiculous grabbag of crafting recipes and about 95% are useless or too tedious for normal people. I might jump back into Blightfall after some of the strategy recs in this thread but curious what else is out there. How have people liked Farming Valley for example?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bouchacha posted:

Ok I think I figured out what I want in a modpack: limited to no overlap. Basically what I find frustrating about most modpacks is they give you a million different ways to accomplish tasks (e.g. power generation) but unless they balance it properly only a handful of the methods are actually sane/feasible so you end up with this ridiculous grabbag of crafting recipes and about 95% are useless or too tedious for normal people. I might jump back into Blightfall after some of the strategy recs in this thread but curious what else is out there. How have people liked Farming Valley for example?

Gated modpacks like Age of Engineering might be your wheelhouse. They try to restrict you on what you do until you move up the rank by unlocking a new machine, e.g. start with Immersive Engineering, then move up to Industrialcraft, then on up to other modpacks. Generally the higher tier mods have more efficient ways of doing the same thing.

[Note - for me, because I never really wanted to learn the Industrialcraft wiring rules to not blow up my machines, and hated it as I started to get into it, this meant that this killed my progress and I stopped playing AoE. This is why having multiple methods of doing things like power transmission are important for most folks. If you just don't get something that's necessary to progress, you're stuck until you figure it out or quit.]

But for 'kitchen sink' modpacks I think you're out of luck. They provide lots of choices on purpose, because one person might really like the Culinary generators from Extra Utilities, but the other guy prefers a regular Coal Gen, or really likes Big Reactors stuff. Most folks feel free to ignore the stuff that doesn't interest them.

Set yourself a goal of not using your 'usual' power method if you don't like that your game is always the same. Or set a different goal like automating seared brick production, or something like that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

Ok I think I figured out what I want in a modpack: limited to no overlap. Basically what I find frustrating about most modpacks is they give you a million different ways to accomplish tasks (e.g. power generation) but unless they balance it properly only a handful of the methods are actually sane/feasible so you end up with this ridiculous grabbag of crafting recipes and about 95% are useless or too tedious for normal people.
That's what I've been doing with my personal modpack; I deliberately tried to not have multiple mods of the same "category" because I hate having twenty different tools that all do the same thing in different ways. The only real overlap I have is for tech, where I have both Immersive and Thermal.

That said, maybe check out Age of Engineering like Devor said, or Modern Skyblock 3? They're designed to gate mods behind other mods.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

At the risk of tooting my own horn, this is what I pretty much tried to do with Progress. I kept out redundant mods as much as reasonable possible, nerfed or disabled the things that trivialized interesting alternatives, and buffed things that were too weak to compete with sibling mods. For example, the Arc Furnace from IE majorly sucks when compared to machines that accomplish the same task from TE, so I massively buffed the Arc Furnace, made it central to tech progression, and gated high-tier TE upgrades behind it.

That said, there are some things I like to keep open-ended, and power generation is one of those. To the extent that I was able I modified things to bring them to a somewhat-level playing field, but really I like that you can get power from coal, oil, solar, food, redstone, or whatever other byzantine setups mods allow. Granted the modpack was designed for a server and one of the fun parts about that is simply walking around looking at the creative solutions other people come up with, so that's a factor.

But it was designed for server play and doesn't have a quest book, so YMMV. But if you wanna check it out you can find it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848234

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

One thing that MSB3 does differently is that it uses some mod to gate access to crafting recipes themselves, instead of adjusting recipes to enforce the tech tree. This means that pretty much all items from all mods have their original crafting recipe -- the quest book just enables the recipes as you complete quests.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Taffer posted:

At the risk of tooting my own horn, this is what I pretty much tried to do with Progress. I kept out redundant mods as much as reasonable possible, nerfed or disabled the things that trivialized interesting alternatives, and buffed things that were too weak to compete with sibling mods. For example, the Arc Furnace from IE majorly sucks when compared to machines that accomplish the same task from TE, so I massively buffed the Arc Furnace, made it central to tech progression, and gated high-tier TE upgrades behind it.

That said, there are some things I like to keep open-ended, and power generation is one of those. To the extent that I was able I modified things to bring them to a somewhat-level playing field, but really I like that you can get power from coal, oil, solar, food, redstone, or whatever other byzantine setups mods allow. Granted the modpack was designed for a server and one of the fun parts about that is simply walking around looking at the creative solutions other people come up with, so that's a factor.

But it was designed for server play and doesn't have a quest book, so YMMV. But if you wanna check it out you can find it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848234

Progress is cool and good but also very hard and deadly.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Progress is cool and good but also very hard and deadly.

Well the hardness is just cause I put the server on hard. Won't apply if you play SP on another difficulty. Though the recipes for things are somewhat more difficult (via gating, material costs are mostly unchanged).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Would anyone happen to know why my blast furnace isn't generating steel? I tried both IE's and Thermals coal coke but neither works.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Anyone know why MSB3 would have a ton of trouble loading? It's using 100% of my CPU but loading extremely slowly. I just downloaded whatever version is available via the Twitch launcher.

e: it's mostly getting stuck on the ModelLoader: baking - stage, if that means anything

ee: this happens after like... half an hour

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 24, 2018

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Ixjuvin posted:

Anyone know why MSB3 would have a ton of trouble loading? It's using 100% of my CPU but loading extremely slowly. I just downloaded whatever version is available via the Twitch launcher.

e: it's mostly getting stuck on the ModelLoader: baking - stage, if that means anything

The easiest fix would be to allocate more memory to it in twitch and see if that helps. But yeah it loads like absolute rear end for me too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ixjuvin posted:

How much RAM does your computer have? Most likely it's running out of memory and swapping like crazy.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Would anyone happen to know why my blast furnace isn't generating steel? I tried both IE's and Thermals coal coke but neither works.

I think it is generating steel. The flame below the iron is lit up, so it accepted the coal coke.

The process is just super slow

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

I ran into this too. It's a bug with the installed version of Immersive Engineering in the latest version of MSB3. You can't make steel until IE is updated (and no updated version fixing the bug is released yet.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kris xK posted:

I think it is generating steel. The flame below the iron is lit up, so it accepted the coal coke.

The process is just super slow

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I ran into this too. It's a bug with the installed version of Immersive Engineering in the latest version of MSB3. You can't make steel until IE is updated (and no updated version fixing the bug is released yet.)
Yeah, it turns out it was a bug that was fixed but hasn't been deployed yet. Apparently somehow the progress for blast furnaces got turned to a negative number per tick.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Is there any mod for 1.12.2 that can scratch my Rotarycraft itch? I'm looking for a tech mod more involved than "supply everything with RF". Closest thing I'm finding are IE, Mek, and Nuclearcraft. I don't think buildcraft is out yet.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

central dogma posted:

Is there any mod for 1.12.2 that can scratch my Rotarycraft itch? I'm looking for a tech mod more involved than "supply everything with RF". Closest thing I'm finding are IE, Mek, and Nuclearcraft. I don't think buildcraft is out yet.

There's Factory Tech, which is something that's in MSB3. I didn't really like it, but it definitely has a lot of moving parts. The gimmick is "no RF, but all machines take replaceable parts that wear out and can occasionally be salvaged after they break."

Qubee
May 31, 2013

25 year old uni student, no shame in admitting I wanna gently caress about in Minecraft since not touching it for about 6 and 1/2 years. Got a bunch of my mates onboard and we're just gonna mess about and have a laugh with it. Only problem is, we're not wanting to play vanilla, since we've pretty much all experienced it. We were thinking of getting Tekkit.

But that has made me realise Tekkit is only compatible with an older version of Minecraft. Won't I be missing out on a bunch of content if I go back to version 1.7.10? Which is from 2013/2014.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Q8ee posted:

25 year old uni student, no shame in admitting I wanna gently caress about in Minecraft since not touching it for about 6 and 1/2 years. Got a bunch of my mates onboard and we're just gonna mess about and have a laugh with it. Only problem is, we're not wanting to play vanilla, since we've pretty much all experienced it. We were thinking of getting Tekkit.

But that has made me realise Tekkit is only compatible with an older version of Minecraft. Won't I be missing out on a bunch of content if I go back to version 1.7.10? Which is from 2013/2014.

1.7.10 is somewhat the holy grail for modded minecraft. A lot of the good mods havent come out for the latest/or are out but then all the mods for the mods aren't out yet.

There is no content in minecraft though.

What you will be missing in the latest version

- cool down on attacks (missing out on it is good)
-double wielding/shields

ummmmmmm I would love to say QoL, but most of that come via mods.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cheers for clearing it up. I was pretty into the Exploration update, the thought of leading a train of llamas is pretty chill. Would be great for moving bases too.

I originally wanted to settle on Tekkit, cause it's what 2 of my mates (there'll be a group of 5 of us) are most comfortable with. But it seems so janky to setup and looks dead. Even the community for it is really glacial. Whereas FTB Revelations seems to have a much more active community.

I just have no idea how to go about even settling on a modpack. I've honestly barely played Minecraft, other than binging on Survival but just focusing on base-building. I've barely gone to that underground Hell place, I haven't fought the dragon, or done much else. I've only ever gotten diamonds two times. So trying to sit and pick a modpack is overwhelming cause they add so much stuff that is hard to get a rundown on. Only reason we're going for a modpack is because a few of the guys in the group find Vanilla boring.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Project Ozone 2 on normal mode could work for you and your group. It's setup as a skyblock that quickly reaches absurdity with automation leading to infinite resources, massively overpowered equipment, and the ability to build a power system so hilariously overkill that if it fails will wipe out dozens of chunks in every direction. Even has a good quest book to push you in the right directions.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 24, 2018