Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I agree with that that hillside. Thats an awesome addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Falcon2001 posted:

MSB3:

I'm at a point where I need a ton of diamonds or a ton of mana. Diamonds are pretty clearly just 'hope you enjoy making and grinding a metric fuckpile of stone', so let's talk mana.

In Botania, what's my best early game options for making a lot of mana? It looks like I'll need to open the gate and do some trades and that sounds like I'll need to make a ton of mana in order to make terrasteel/etc. I've got 8 Endoflames and a pair of thermalilies right now.

You only need a single terrasteel to create the elven portal, which is half a single mana pool. I personally always go for a cluster of four pools around a mana splitter, with 3/4 of them (one less if I'm using one for lots of alchemy catalyst transmutes) having a regular spark on them, and one on the terrasteel agglom plate. You'll probably just want more endoflames though really - if you can, get a ticon lumber axe with autosmelt on it, and having alumite too is even better. Thermalillies have an annoying thing where they keep eating lava despite being on cooldown before they can generate mana again, so I don't really like them. And, make the food flowers if you've got the ingredients to make high-satiation foods.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

MSB2 so maybe 3 as well.

I had about 25+ bonsai hoppers feeding about 20+ endoflames i could do 34 terrasteel ingots every hour (or less) of real time (12 main mana pools, plus 4 or 5 feeder pools) It was set and forget with some thermal pipes and retrievers.

The leaves were piped to 6 mechanical placers and a single leaf eater took care of those

Evil Mastermind posted:

My current MSB3 run is kinda boring because I suck at building, but I'm making due with something derived from a setup I saw on YouTube. I'm going to build another platform above the central one one I make a better cobblegen.

Circles and chisel: the lovely builder's friends!

in MSB3 is obsidian a better heat soruce than fire?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
These are the default values:

Torch = 1
Obsidian = 3
Lava (flowing) = 4
Lava (source) = 6
Fire = 8
Magma block = 9
Blazing Pyrotheum = 10

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

My current MSB3 run is kinda boring because I suck at building, but I'm making due with something derived from a setup I saw on YouTube. I'm going to build another platform above the central one one I make a better cobblegen.

Make magmified stone. Make a bunch of it. Any face of a magmified stone that is touching source or flowing crystal fluid will occasionally spawn a cobblestone item into the world. It's so much better than a water/lava cobblegen. I have a sandwich of magmified stone with a single block of crystal fluid inside, and the crystal fluid pushes all the spawned cobblestone into a hopper.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Make magmified stone. Make a bunch of it. Any face of a magmified stone that is touching source or flowing crystal fluid will occasionally spawn a cobblestone item into the world. It's so much better than a water/lava cobblegen. I have a sandwich of magmified stone with a single block of crystal fluid inside, and the crystal fluid pushes all the spawned cobblestone into a hopper.
That sounds rad, any chance you could post a screenshot next time you're in game?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

That sounds rad, any chance you could post a screenshot next time you're in game?

You can also do just hoppers under pools of crystal fluid touching magmafied stone.

Thank god SkyResources has a way to do cobblegen quickly. I'm way over manually digging out a million cobble at the beginning of every single skyblock.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Sure thing.

I cut away most of the top layer of the sandwich so it was easier to see. That's a dispenser in the corner; it's got a bucket inside. All that does is let me pick up the crystal fluid with a button press if I want to turn it off for whatever reason. The thing in the bottom center is a wooden hopper. A normal one works fine too.

A short loop of it working (and me picking up some of the cobble by mistake:)

It is, uh, effective:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Because Minecraft uses what appears to be a generic java application, my time tracking software thinks I'm a professional developer :thumbsup:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Since we're (sort of) on the subject of early-game MSB3, is there a better way of making obsidian while still in the basic resources/tinkering tier than the ol' water-over-lava?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Since we're (sort of) on the subject of early-game MSB3, is there a better way of making obsidian while still in the basic resources/tinkering tier than the ol' water-over-lava?

Nope. If you're in gated, you'll need to do it the hard way. Open loot bags; they frequently have diamond pickaxes. Alternatively, if you get any obsidian from a loot bag, you can use it to make a tinker's pickaxe with an obsidian head, which will mine obsidian.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, I can mine obsidian easily enough, it's just the generation I was wondering about.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

MSB3:

I'm at a point where I need a ton of diamonds or a ton of mana. Diamonds are pretty clearly just 'hope you enjoy making and grinding a metric fuckpile of stone', so let's talk mana.

In Botania, what's my best early game options for making a lot of mana? It looks like I'll need to open the gate and do some trades and that sounds like I'll need to make a ton of mana in order to make terrasteel/etc. I've got 8 Endoflames and a pair of thermalilies right now.

If you have chickens and cows and some way of setting up a cake factory, the kekimurus can produce a poo poo-ton of mana for you.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm looking into mods for the next iteration of DPT and I'm currently on the hunt for one that lets me adjust the length of days and nights so there's more daytime to explore in. I've found both Stellar Skies and Extended Days already, neither of which play nice with the other mods currently slated for the pack. Stellar Skies conflicts hard with the custom sky in The Betweenlands without some config tweaking I haven't quite wrapped my head around, whilst Extended Days is semi-hacky by nature and fails to play well with Blood Moon.

There's another one for 1.12.2 called "Longer Days" which I've looked at, but it completely lacks any configuration and just makes days/nights 3x longer by pausing the daylight cycle at noo and midnight.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

If you have chickens and cows and some way of setting up a cake factory, the kekimurus can produce a poo poo-ton of mana for you.

Cake is 100% the way to make mana in MSB3. Some options as you progress down the tech tree:

* Astral Sorcery's collector crystals can be linked to a pumpkin, which transmutes the pumpkin into cake. Automate this with a block placer of some kind (AA's auto-placer) and a garden cloche.

* You'll get "Chickenosto" chickens from quest reward loot chests. When put in a roost, they'll create cake. Use a roost collector to hopper the cake out and place it in the world for the kekimurus. To increase the stats of a chicken quickly, attune to the Aevitas constellation, and choose the animal breeding perk.

Chickens, in general, are overpowered as all hell.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

McFrugal posted:

In gated mode you basically have no automation by the time you need Terrasteel mana, but it's a longterm plan to move to that.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Evil Mastermind posted:

If you're far enough that you have a smeltery, you can insert lava and water to make liquid obsidian, which can then be poured into a basin to make blocks.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MaliciousOnion posted:

If you're far enough that you have a smeltery, you can insert lava and water to make liquid obsidian, which can then be poured into a basin to make blocks.

I think I played three modpacks before I noticed this lol. Tinker's Construct is pretty much essential these days.

Views of my latest plastic blocks factory (I hate mekanism pipes so much):

Has anyone managed to a) shrink the size or b) parallelize the process? The PRC is a double bottleneck and I'm loathe to build a 2nd plant just to speed up the intake from potato/carrot farms.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MaliciousOnion posted:

In MSB3, you specifically do not have a smeltery when the quest book demands obsidian for a gated-mode unlock quest.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

In MSB3, you specifically do not have a smeltery when the quest book demands obsidian for a gated-mode unlock quest.

Yeah I just...made a big place, put some cobble walls up and dumped lava on the ground, then dumped water over it. You can get diamonds from rock grinding, at least one to TiCon upgrade your tools.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Can you not mix lava and water in the porcelain smelter you get early on?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

AceClown posted:

Nope. Which of course lead to me having to dump the lava out; you can't alloy at all in the melter.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AceClown posted:

Not only can you not do this, you cannot have two separate types of fluid in the porcelain melter at all. It won't even let you make progress on melting an item that melts into a fluid that differs from any fluid inside of it. All alloying is hard locked until you get to A True Blacksmith much later.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
So I find myself right back at the 'shitton of diamonds' stage of MSB3. Is there any easy way to make a shitton of smooth stone that I'm overlooking?

Right now I'm slowly combusting a ton of charcoal into coal (for hardened coal blocks to combust into diamonds), but I figured I would just do some smooth stone creation in parallel to make some naturally.

I'm gated and up to Mystical Flowers / Better farming and Automation

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Falcon2001 posted:

So I find myself right back at the 'shitton of diamonds' stage of MSB3. Is there any easy way to make a shitton of smooth stone that I'm overlooking?

Right now I'm slowly combusting a ton of charcoal into coal (for hardened coal blocks to combust into diamonds), but I figured I would just do some smooth stone creation in parallel to make some naturally.

I'm gated and up to Mystical Flowers / Better farming and Automation

At that point, not really. Just make a ton of furnaces and parallelize that poo poo.

Once you get A True Blacksmith, you can make the Tinker's Furnace or whatever for massively parallel smelting.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Make a Seared Furnace, better than a ton of regular furnaces.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

Make a Seared Furnace, better than a ton of regular furnaces.

At that quest progression, the seared furnace isn't available.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

At that point, not really. Just make a ton of furnaces and parallelize that poo poo.

Once you get A True Blacksmith, you can make the Tinker's Furnace or whatever for massively parallel smelting.

I did discover a slightly better way:

You can make an Endstone Combustion Heater, which is really efficient, runs off ender pearls, AND refills quickly. (and it's not like your base isn't swarmed with endermen anyway) Use this to combust charcoal > coal, then make hardened coal blocks, then diamonds.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Other Modern Skyblock 3 tips:

Sound mufflers are cheap, make some for your mob tower; I also converted it to a drop > water > spikes and hoppers setup that works pretty well.

Botania offers some pretty significant QoL improvements for how early in the pack you get it. Once you get the alchemy and replication catalysts, put them on separate sticky pistons and you only need one mana pool for all your mana pool transmute needs. You can use this to duplicate some stuff like Quartz/etc that's incredibly handy.

Iron Dropper is a good early replacement for the quick dropper, but the quick dropper is way better for large combustion runs.

Get yourself to the Iron stage of SkyResources2 equipment ASAP, but you'll be stuck there for a while due to the lack of alloying available to you.

Others have mentioned this and the quest block covers it, but get yourself an axe with smelting from lavawood and use OreExcavator or whatever it's called to quickly make a shitton of charcoal. I've been doing 2x2 spruce, not sure what's the best bang for your buck when it comes to harvesting.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Skip the wood>charcoal stage of that by making a tinkers axe out of copper with a firewood handle for auto smelt, drop the 2x2 jungle wood saplings down, hit it with one plant matter thing and repeat until you have a million charcoal.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Due to various weirdness and hiccups in spawning code I've decided I just need to find a decent mob spawner system/block mod (what was that factory-like one that served as a self contained, framerate-forgiving mob grinder?) and just install that in any skyblock map.
I've made far too many enormous drop towers and every time there's some kind of problem with it, like I'll make it too tall and enemies won't wander around, or too near and nothing spawns in it while I'm nearby. I'm done with packs that expect me to exploit the game's obtuse mechanics.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Also, open every lootbox (the square ones found inside loot bags) until you have a helmet with an obscene amount of "Luck" on it. It makes the mobs drop a stupid amount of reliquary items which can be crafted in to an even more obscene amount of basic mats and cool Reliquary trinkets.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

Others have mentioned this and the quest block covers it, but get yourself an axe with smelting from lavawood and use OreExcavator or whatever it's called to quickly make a shitton of charcoal.
Putting lavawood parts on a pick is also a good way to get a lot of smoothstone early on. Set up a manual cobblegen and use an AHK/macro/tape the mouse button down and go do something else for a while.

Another thing I found out recently: three witch hats can be turned into sugar, redstone, or glowdust. Once you get a decent mob setup going it's a hell of a lot more efficient than combusting.

e:

AceClown posted:

Also, open every lootbox (the square ones found inside loot bags) until you have a helmet with an obscene amount of "Luck" on it. It makes the mobs drop a stupid amount of reliquary items which can be crafted in to an even more obscene amount of basic mats and cool Reliquary trinkets.
I have a helmet with Luck 315, and every mob drops like 16 hearts/glands/ribs. I think it'd actually be less efficient to make an automatic mob farm in terms of item drops.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Would using Forestry+Binnie’s Mods+More Bees work well with Biomes O’ Plenty? Or would the extra biomes make it difficult to find appropriate habitats for the bees/trees?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Due to various weirdness and hiccups in spawning code I've decided I just need to find a decent mob spawner system/block mod (what was that factory-like one that served as a self contained, framerate-forgiving mob grinder?) and just install that in any skyblock map.
I've made far too many enormous drop towers and every time there's some kind of problem with it, like I'll make it too tall and enemies won't wander around, or too near and nothing spawns in it while I'm nearby. I'm done with packs that expect me to exploit the game's obtuse mechanics.

You're thinking of "Woot."

Here's a foolproof design for a mob drop tower.

* Choose a 4x4 location for the drop tube that's very close to where you spend most of your time.
* Make a 4x4 tube (inside is 2x2 and empty) going up exactly 24 blocks with no corner pieces. (Take exactly 24 ladders with you to make it easy to count.)
* At the top, extend each 2-block section out away from the drop tube so that it covers 8 blocks long. These are water channels.
* Put a 2-tall wall on either side of the water channel.
* Climb on top of the walls of the water channels, and build a floor for the spawning chamber on each of the four sides. It'll end up with four platforms.
* Surround the spawning chamber with a two-high wall.
* Cover the top of the spawning chamber with half-slabs. (You can use any block if you want, but half-slabs are material efficient and prevent spawning on the roof.
* Go back in the spawning chamber and use half-slabs to stud the floor such that there are no 2x2 sections of floor for spiders to spawn on. Spiders ruin mob drop traps.
* Flood the water channels. Drop the source blocks of water all the way in the back. Don't let water spill into the drop tube. If you did it right, the water should naturally finish flowing just at the edge.
* Make a shitload of wooden trapdoors, and place them on the walls of the water channels such that, when they're closed, you can walk across the water channel normally. Open them all so that they allow mobs to drop in. The purpose of these is to gently caress with the mob AI; mobs think the trapdoors are solid and walkable even if they're open. This makes the mobs drop in the water channel more reliably.

Doing this, you should have a mob drop trap that operates frighteningly well. The sweet spot for mob spawns is 24 to 32 blocks away from where you are, so building the drop tube 24 tall means that the majority of the spawn platform will spawn mobs. You may need to add additional kill mechanisms at the bottom of the drop tube, especially if mods are adding mobs (like the golems from Embers) that have more health, or for the odd baby zombie jockey, and so on. This design prevents spiders and endermen from spawning, both of which do not work well in this sort of trap.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

runchild posted:

Would using Forestry+Binnie’s Mods+More Bees work well with Biomes O’ Plenty? Or would the extra biomes make it difficult to find appropriate habitats for the bees/trees?

https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Greenhouse_(Forestry)

Greenhouses allow you to control the environment for bees so that you can do bee things almost anywhere. Bees still suck though.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

* Choose a 4x4 location for the drop tube that's very close to where you spend most of your time.
* Make a 4x4 tube (inside is 2x2 and empty) going up exactly 24 blocks with no corner pieces. (Take exactly 24 ladders with you to make it easy to count.)
* At the top, extend each 2-block section out away from the drop tube so that it covers 8 blocks long. These are water channels.
* Put a 2-tall wall on either side of the water channel.
* Climb on top of the walls of the water channels, and build a floor for the spawning chamber on each of the four sides. It'll end up with four platforms.
* Surround the spawning chamber with a two-high wall.
* Cover the top of the spawning chamber with half-slabs. (You can use any block if you want, but half-slabs are material efficient and prevent spawning on the roof.
* Go back in the spawning chamber and use half-slabs to stud the floor such that there are no 2x2 sections of floor for spiders to spawn on. Spiders ruin mob drop traps.
* Flood the water channels. Drop the source blocks of water all the way in the back. Don't let water spill into the drop tube. If you did it right, the water should naturally finish flowing just at the edge.
* Make a shitload of wooden trapdoors, and place them on the walls of the water channels such that, when they're closed, you can walk across the water channel normally. Open them all so that they allow mobs to drop in. The purpose of these is to gently caress with the mob AI; mobs think the trapdoors are solid and walkable even if they're open. This makes the mobs drop in the water channel more reliably.

Doing this, you should have a mob drop trap that operates frighteningly well. The sweet spot for mob spawns is 24 to 32 blocks away from where you are, so building the drop tube 24 tall means that the majority of the spawn platform will spawn mobs. You may need to add additional kill mechanisms at the bottom of the drop tube, especially if mods are adding mobs (like the golems from Embers) that have more health, or for the odd baby zombie jockey, and so on. This design prevents spiders and endermen from spawning, both of which do not work well in this sort of trap.

If you put some water at the bottom to push spiders into spikes, you eliminate the spider problem! :)

Also, it's worth making your way through the whole Basic Farming and Automation section, even the 18 diamond spikes at the end, because it opens up Basic Factory and Actually Additions, both of which are pretty great.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That won't spawn endermen, though, right? I usually need them.
I've got a trapdoor-focused build that turns off spiders but enables endermen, so that's the one I usually go with. Still, too much to set it up every drat time, even if I copy precisely.

...I play a lot of skyblocks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

That won't spawn endermen, though, right? I usually need them.
I've got a trapdoor-focused build that turns off spiders but enables endermen, so that's the one I usually go with. Still, too much to set it up every drat time, even if I copy precisely.

...I play a lot of skyblocks.

If you're in MSB3, you'll have Evolved Endermen spawning all over the drat place. Also, concussion creepers can drop ender fragments which can be crafted into ender pearls. I never really was hurting for them in the early game.

Falcon2001 posted:

If you put some water at the bottom to push spiders into spikes, you eliminate the spider problem! :)

Also, it's worth making your way through the whole Basic Farming and Automation section, even the 18 diamond spikes at the end, because it opens up Basic Factory and Actually Additions, both of which are pretty great.

Sure, but a mob drop trap is useful before you have access to spikes as well. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Greenhouse_(Forestry)

Greenhouses allow you to control the environment for bees so that you can do bee things almost anywhere. Bees still suck though.

Ah, neat, that wasn’t around last time I played Forestry. Also gently caress off, bees are awesome. :classiclol: