Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

How do i use the metel caster to make iron nuggests?

I just skipped through 2 youtube videos where people are making this thing and then they never use it...........................

it needs rf. so i guess 4 wooden engines as that is all i will have.

Then what?

The metal caster doesn't need RF. Place it down where you were putting the standalone casting tables. Make the nugget mold item and put it in the GUI:

The area on the right is for mold storage. Once you've made a metal caster, you no longer need the standalone casting tables; craft them with themselves to salvage the mold you used to make the casting table. Then, pour molten metal into the metal caster's top. I am using a buildcraft fluid pipe here, but the TiCon faucet also works. I'm just too lazy to stand around and click the faucet all the time.

Krakatoah posted:

Which recipes are those? I'm trying to get my bees to BEE but apparently the Ash and Wet bees have some flower requirements I have no idea how to deal with... seems like I'd need to get a Fairy bee first?

These bees need dead bushes. you can make them by drying tall grass (flint shears.) I figured this out by looking up the uses of the bee in question, then finding it in the Bee Breeding section as an input. From there, you can hold shift to view the bee's stats, including what flowers it wants. It's roundabout and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Oh, I didn't mean Exoria specifically. I just mean lots of modpacks will change a recipe in something simple so it requires a high-cost item that's like, late-game in another mod's tech tree before you can use it. Like when Sevtech needs you to go to the Betweenlands and get a gem so you can craft a smeltery.
A lot of progression-based modpacks will do this, so you'll see like, the EnderIO SAG mill now now requires like Hell Bee Pollen or some poo poo. So instead of just progressing through EnderIO normally now you have to stop partway through and climb the entire Bee Breeding tech tree all the way to Hell Bees just so you can get that SAG mill. With bees more than with any other mod it feels like they're just thrown in as this sort of needless recipe-detour.

yeah, it ain't great. i quite like it when progression-based packs give you more efficient ways of getting stuff though. like, don't spend 4 ingots making a gregtech new horizons screw; put it on a lathe and get the screw cheaper

possibly a bad example, due to gregtech

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What's the top tier Tech modpack nowadays?

I'm jonesing for some Factorio Minecraft-style. Ideally, though, I'd like to stay away from anything Gregtech-esque that makes things a boring-rear end grind instead of brutally exploiting the planet for resources.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

These bees need dead bushes. you can make them by drying tall grass (flint shears.) I figured this out by looking up the uses of the bee in question, then finding it in the Bee Breeding section as an input. From there, you can hold shift to view the bee's stats, including what flowers it wants. It's roundabout and stupid.

Huh, I didn't know I could look up the bee requirements like that, good to know!

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

runchild posted:

The Better Than Wolves hunger system doesn't even seem to be in Better With Mods at the moment, according to the github wiki and a thorough search of the config file.

Scratch that, it turns out Better Than Mods had somehow disabled itself, and when I turned it on the weird hunger system was definitely there and definitely a pain in the rear end. It also overrode Appleskin’s visual representation of the saturation/exhaustion system, and I consider that basically essential. It’s not present in Sevtech so obviously there’s a way to turn it off, but I can’t did it :shrug: I don’t feel like dealing with that so bye bye, BWM.

ALSO, is there a mod for 1.12.2 that adds glassblowing or something like it? I think I can do some stuff with molten glass in Tinker’s but A) I can’t test that until I get home tonight and B) I need the glass to make the TC stuff in the first place. I want to make that step slightly more complicated than “put sand in furnace, the end.”

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Exoria status: just learned that you can hopper into a chopping block

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I got the slime boots and slimeshot in Exoria and like you'd think it's pretty dangerous to launch yourself around, with all the lava pools everywhere. Better idea: use the slingshot for short hops and use the bounce-acceleration from the boots for most of your movement since you can control that better. Just jump off a slope and start bouncing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

I got the slime boots and slimeshot in Exoria and like you'd think it's pretty dangerous to launch yourself around, with all the lava pools everywhere. Better idea: use the slingshot for short hops and use the bounce-acceleration from the boots for most of your movement since you can control that better. Just jump off a slope and start bouncing.

It's even more fun in the Nether.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i get why it's not more common but i do wish there were more packs that have a defined map so it cuts down on some of the comp murder in terms of chunkloading and exploring and the like. blightfall was great in that regard.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Holy poo poo you can shift-rightclick chests AND shelves in Exoria to pick them up.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
There's been a couple of packs I've played with Bees in them, where bees have been entirely optional ways to do stuff differently. I think this is the best possible use case for Bees.

For example, in a skyblock you might have three or four different ways to gather basic resources: bees, mystical agriculture, ex nihilo, and something endgame like a matter fabricator.

That said, RNG-based progression loving sucks and because of that I'll never choose bees over the other options.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I just want honey to be vaguely useful

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The metal caster doesn't need RF. Place it down where you were putting the standalone casting tables. Make the nugget mold item and put it in the GUI:

The area on the right is for mold storage. Once you've made a metal caster, you no longer need the standalone casting tables; craft them with themselves to salvage the mold you used to make the casting table. Then, pour molten metal into the metal caster's top. I am using a buildcraft fluid pipe here, but the TiCon faucet also works. I'm just too lazy to stand around and click the faucet all the time.

Cheers.
I figured it out a bit after i posted. Which made me more angry. Ive just wasted 4 mould casts to make the 4 needed before, then yeah, we get a superior version of the tinkers smart output that will store its own molds................... FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i get why it's not more common but i do wish there were more packs that have a defined map so it cuts down on some of the comp murder in terms of chunkloading and exploring and the like. blightfall was great in that regard.

Pregenning mods are your friend

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Ooof, glad I decided to test that IC2 wind generator in a test world. Would almost certainly have taken out some stuff I'd really rather have kept around in my slow-rear end AoE game.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

this sure is a sword

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

exoria - any way to turn off the poison rain? it adds nothing but bordeom

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

exoria - any way to turn off the poison rain? it adds nothing but bordeom

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/toxicrain is the mod and the potion it adds looks to be unused in other stuff, so you can probably disable the mod and it'll be fine

tbh though i just let it poison me down to half a heart, then ignore it entirely, or just sleep through it

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
You can always just pop into creative and hook a rain sensor to a command block with /weather clear 999999

Assuming it has whatever of several mods add rain sensors. Is that a modded thing? I have no idea anymore.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

You can make the Bezu Bezu or whatever its called from Botania to stop the rain perhaps

E; Teru Teru Bozu

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 21, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

heard u like girls posted:

You can make the Bezu Bezu or whatever its called from Botania to stop the rain perhaps

E; Teru Teru Bozu

this is what i thought of too, but in exoria the manaweave cloth or whatever needs a manasteel nugget, which makes it impossible to craft early on when rain is actually a problem

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Ive only played for 30 mins, but thats unfortunate then.

There wasn't any rain where i spawned but drat these nights feel like they last forever

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I dug into the side of the hill nearest to my portal and used the ash from excavating to extend the roof of my cave to give me a pretty reasonable sized hovel safe from the rain. I can do most of my poo poo in there, and the rain rarely is too much of a hassle.

Alternately, ignore the rain entirely, because I think there's nothing on the first planet that attacks you other than Grues if you sit in the dark. Just be careful about lava, acid water, and falling damage.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah, i am actually pretty happy about exoria being basically combat free until you make some progress, and even then the dimensions with actual monsters in them are fairly unthreatening

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i just removed the mod. legit don't see the point of it when starting; adds nothing except more hunger and lots of damage noises. get enough of them from the bloody fairies

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Exoria status: just learned that you can hopper into a chopping block

McFrugal posted:

Holy poo poo you can shift-rightclick chests AND shelves in Exoria to pick them up.

Man I wish I knew these tips earlier. I'm really enjoying Exoria so far though. No combat so far is nice, and the poison rain isn't so bad in that it encourages you to actually build to account for it. I didn't like the whole process of getting all the different seeds and saplings, since RNG is a pain, but I'm past it now.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the one thing i do really kinda like is the "must be in a room of X size with X blocks in the wall" rule some of the machines have

it's quite cool to actually have to build structures like this for your machines

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

heard u like girls posted:

Ive only played for 30 mins, but thats unfortunate then.

There wasn't any rain where i spawned but drat these nights feel like they last forever

Is it just me, or is the day night cycle way longer in Exoria? When I was playing the notifications in JourneyMap didn't match up.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I think the night is longer?

Makes sense thematically but it sure makes it a bit harder to get started

E; dragging a mate into this pack so we can make a lovely garden n stuff
g*d bless

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

LegionAreI posted:

Is it just me, or is the day night cycle way longer in Exoria? When I was playing the notifications in JourneyMap didn't match up.

nights are very long and days are short, and you actually have to sleep multiple times to make it daytime

that being said, i haven't really found day vs night to matter at all, especially when there are no overworld monsters

and since astral sorcery is in the pack i figure it'll be a blessing later

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Hey y’all, just chiming in one more time to say I’m a dipshit, cause I finally found the Hardcore Hunger option in Better With Mods config file. Gonna give it another try.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

nights are very long and days are short, and you actually have to sleep multiple times to make it daytime

that being said, i haven't really found day vs night to matter at all, especially when there are no overworld monsters

and since astral sorcery is in the pack i figure it'll be a blessing later

night time definitely doesn't matter, since chances are you're not going to be exploring much once you have a bit of a setup and there's nothing out there to really get you unless you're in absolute pitch darkness

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
Is there anything I can do to get the Waystones in Exoria to stop killing me with fall damage other than slime boots?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Fenrisulfr posted:

Is there anything I can do to get the Waystones in Exoria to stop killing me with fall damage other than slime boots?

Update the pack to 1.0.2. It got fixed.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
How the hell does Foundry work? I've never used it and the Exoria quests don't explain it at all.

Specifically, I can't figure out what to put into my mold crafting station

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

How the hell does Foundry work? I've never used it and the Exoria quests don't explain it at all.

Specifically, I can't figure out what to put into my mold crafting station

The mold crafting station requires a single refractory clay block, this is mentioned in the tooltip. Once you punch out the right pattern, insert fuel to fire the mold (one plank will do). Once you have a mold, you can use the mold to craft a block which holds the mold, then you pour liquid metal in like you would use a tcon smeltery. Later you can get a single block that handles multiple molds.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The refractory clay has to be blocks :doh:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i have done early game RF power in a lot of ways, but exoria certainly wins for funniest

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the one thing i do really kinda like is the "must be in a room of X size with X blocks in the wall" rule some of the machines have

it's quite cool to actually have to build structures like this for your machines
I'm not playing Exoria, what mod is it that does this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I'm playing sevtech and am trying to make the wild dog pelt boots ... but I've not seen a wild dog spawn, ever. Do they spawn only in a specific biome or time of day?