Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You can get pixie dust from murdering pixies in the Exoria dimension. The ones that are a flying cube, not the fairy torture ones or the astral sorcery flares.

You can also make a woot farm for pixies. It's level 1, IIRC.

I swear I looked through JEI and the only result was the bees. I guess the pixies aren't shown in the mob drops section of JEI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
against my better judgement I'm on my old bullshit again and installing modpacks from Twitch, hoping I might at some point go on Disasterpiece with goons.
Is there a good modpack with the latest Thaumcraft and some other magic mods, though? Tech mods I might just go tour and see what's up with, but Factorio pretty much has me covered in terms of playing a game about making tech.

Also installing Exoria but in the past I have found skyblock things extremely tedious and impossible to finish.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Hemingway To Go! posted:

against my better judgement I'm on my old bullshit again and installing modpacks from Twitch, hoping I might at some point go on Disasterpiece with goons.
Is there a good modpack with the latest Thaumcraft and some other magic mods, though? Tech mods I might just go tour and see what's up with, but Factorio pretty much has me covered in terms of playing a game about making tech.

Also installing Exoria but in the past I have found skyblock things extremely tedious and impossible to finish.

Exoria isn't a skyblock, but it is a quest progression pack, so that might create some of the same irritations.

The 1.12 direwolf20 pack has the latest thaumcraft, blood magic, astral sorcery, as well as the usual tech suspects.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Exoria isn't a skyblock, but it is a quest progression pack, so that might create some of the same irritations.

The 1.12 direwolf20 pack has the latest thaumcraft, blood magic, astral sorcery, as well as the usual tech suspects.

It's kind of a Skyblock in that you generate resources through offbeat mechanics rather than mining. In this case it's the fishing strainers and later, sieving ash/dust. There are bees but they are almost painless. The mutation rate is jacked up and the one bee you need for progression is like 4 steps of breeding tops.

Exoria is very unique in the mandatory structures, the usage of compact machines in its progression, as well as the mix of Skyblock base teching with dimension hopping resource hunts.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Exoria is a heavily customized themed pack that goes out of its way to avoid both grind and the atrociously awful "hardcore" combat bits that other themed packs like Sink Into Madness are so fond of. It's not perfect, but it definitely doesn't play quite like any other pack I can name.

If you're like me and you're big on packs with worldgen so heavily tricked out that you'll barely recognize the game when you first log in, and play mechanics in a similar vein, it'll be right up your alley.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'll try Exoria later.
Magic Minecraft when it's not doing combat and quests and just making bizarre poo poo out of magic is still extremely unique. For my tech minecraft fix I'm enjoying Factorio, but I never got a chance to get into Thaumcraft 5 too hard.
But I never got out of early game agrarian skies or blightfall. I have too many other things to do besides stand in a dome or a block and wait for blocks to appear.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Enigmatica 2 is a quest based pack that doesn't use crazy grind or extreme game changes, if you want to try something relatively simple. It has a non - hosed - up expert mode too, and a bunch of magic mods.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Looks like playing Modded minecraft will get quite a bit more fun in the days to come. A certain someone released a mod that purportedly uncaps the stack size of items.

quote:

The mod is called StackUp!, and its goal is to let you lift the hardcoded maximum limit of 64 items in one stack in the game. You can set it as high as you want - up to 999 million, in fact - but I recommend not going above a few million for compatibility reasons. Not that you need that many.

Curseforge page, and a scripting guide for mass changing the stack size of different items.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Ambaire posted:

Looks like playing Modded minecraft will get quite a bit more fun in the days to come. A certain someone released a mod that purportedly uncaps the stack size of items.

Curseforge page, and a scripting guide for mass changing the stack size of different items.

So, like Chisel & Bits bits?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ambaire posted:

I don't like it. Stack size is an important limitation in storage mods. Why would I create compacting machines or turn items into cube form if there is no stack size? This mod is going to be nothing but trouble I tell you.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Some people are going to prefer storage solutions that are as simple and easy as "stuff poo poo in a chest, done". A few years ago I would've preferred this but I like the infrastructure of Refined Storage enough now that I'll probably pass. Still, it's quite easy to see the appeal of just de-limiting such a feature -- one that so many people dislike and seek to fix in their own ways. Storage mods are just another way of handling it.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Pffffff,

just means you can put more into storage.

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008

Rutibex posted:

I don't like it. Stack size is an important limitation in storage mods. Why would I create compacting machines or turn items into cube form if there is no stack size? This mod is going to be nothing but trouble I tell you.

The mod lets you give each item its own stack size, so you'd be able to make that limitation even tighter if you wanted to, or copy TerraFirmaCraft's gimmick of heavy stuff having smaller stack sizes.

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

Rutibex posted:

post / av combo

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Rutibex posted:

To be fair, you won't need to worry about it till 2023 when you decide that 1.12.2 is the True Definitive Version for Mods™.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rutibex posted:

Seems like a cool tool for mod makers to have access to. What if I wanted to force my players to make a compacting machine automation grind? I can have mobs drop hundreds of 'flesh bits' or whatever, and have the player accumulate a stack of 1M flesh bits without filling their inventory a dozen times over, which they then have to come back and shove into an autocrafting/compacting setup.

Or you could create a cash economy with gold coins like thaumcraft kinda sort-of used to, and let them carry 100k of them in one slot.

Yeah it's dumb if you set every item to 64k, but you don't have to do that

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I just want to use it for cobble so I can store infinity cobble in one inventory slot and never worry about doing runs back to base to store all the cobble my hammer is picking up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

I just want to use it for cobble so I can store infinity cobble in one inventory slot and never worry about doing runs back to base to store all the cobble my hammer is picking up.

This is what /dev/null from openblocks (and the clone with a horrible name /dank/null) is for. It collects a certain amount of item and then voids the rest that you pick up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fortis posted:

To be fair, you won't need to worry about it till 2023 when you decide that 1.12.2 is the True Definitive Version for Mods™.

I only play Minecraft occasionally, so I tend to stick to one mod pack for a while. I have looked at a few other packs, and a few of them seem interesting (especially Extoria and Forever Stranded: Lost Souls). But I have still not completed Project Ozone 2, so I can not move on just yet! I have been playing it a bit lately. I made a save in Kappa mode, it was a flat desert world full of sand I called "Arakis". No resources or anything, just sand. Kind of like the ice world option. I got about 20% of the way in and found Kappa mode tedious, so I turned it on to normal mode. I am going to turn Kappa mode back on once I start doing Equivalent Exchange.

I built on top of a villagers house on the first night. The village was overrun with monsters during a blood moon. I tried to save them with a sand wall but it was too late :( I walled off the village and fixed it up as best I could. I wanted to save other villagers from such a fate, so I ended up making soul bottles and grabbing villagers from other desert towns to bring back to my much more safe compound:

I made additional housing for the villagers, with lots of doors (I heard that makes them breed?). They seem to enjoy their new houses best, they rarely go out into the city. They have even begun to spawn golems to protect themselves! I made a special kind of "trading cube" that allows me to trade with all of the villagers at once. I put it on top of the house for easy access (I can fly of course):

I put all of my important items into these ender chests. I have a set of ender bags that go to each of the chests, and I keep them all in bag Black/Black/Black (bag White/White/White feeds directly into my storage system). This way even if the chests blow up or I lose the bags I can get my items back by crafting a new chest.

This is my storage and crafting system. It is cobbled together from a half dozen mods. There are storage drawers to hold the items, connected to logistics requests pipes. This works like a jerry rigged Applied Energistcs system. I also have an auto crafter, four crafting benches, and a draconic chest (works as a furnace):

I have a small big reactor to power everything. It is connected to an ender battery, which lets me link any machine into the system. Those cobblestone pillars have cows in them. They are auto-milking pods. I use a Minefactory Reloaded autospawner to make different breeds of fluid-cow, and milk them for a few barrels of fluid. I have most of the useful fluids now, but I am still missing a few. You can also see my magical crops farm to the side, which provides most of my resources (other than the ones I can obtain from sifting sand):

After my old mob spawner exploded (spewing blazes everywhere :argh:) I made a new one in the Last Millennium dimension. This made it more productive as well:

I still have a bunch of Galacticraft planets to explore, and a few more mods machines to build before I go for the end game EE stuff. Though I am close! I have most of the draconic evolution items, and ender star seeds, and thousands of every basic resource. Maybe I will try out a new mod pack soon.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I wish Ender Utilities and its ridiculous storage solutions were in more things. Handy Bag with a memory card that allows for stacks of 4096 items, and that can automatically dump stuff you pick up into your extended inventory, or have it automatically refill your stuff ala inventory tweaks but from your extended inventory, is awesome.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Finally tried out a shader mod for 1.12.2. Any idea why blocks turn almost black when I'm mining them? I'm using soartex fanver modded and Ebin shaders.

e. does anyone have any recommended working shaders for 1.12.2? all the ones I've tried either are laggy or have weird effects or do a diffraction grating effect on the sky. I just want ~better looking blocks~...

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 1, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ambaire posted:

e. does anyone have any recommended working shaders for 1.12.2? all the ones I've tried either are laggy or have weird effects or do a diffraction grating effect on the sky. I just want ~better looking blocks~...
Are you using any mods? I got this really terrible z-fighting look on my skies until I realized it was conflicting with Astral Sorcery's renderer.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Vib Rib posted:

Are you using any mods? I got this really terrible z-fighting look on my skies until I realized it was conflicting with Astral Sorcery's renderer.

Yeah, I'm playing the Enigmatica 2 Expert pack. That must be what's going on.. any ways around it?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ambaire posted:

Yeah, I'm playing the Enigmatica 2 Expert pack. That must be what's going on.. any ways around it?

Enable the weak rendering option in AS' config.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I would like to make a ~VR friendly~ modpack. Currently vivecraft comes packed with forge 2707. Is there any way to sort mod versions on curse by forge version compatibility? :v:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Truga posted:

I would like to make a ~VR friendly~ modpack. Currently vivecraft comes packed with forge 2707. Is there any way to sort mod versions on curse by forge version compatibility? :v:

Nope, only by Minecraft version compatibility.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
While there arent many so far, Rift has allowed people to start making simple mods for 1.13 notably an NEI clone, barrels and mouse tweaks.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods?filter-game-version=1738749986%3A55023&filter-sort=2

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I'm currently playing AllTheMods 3

Is there anything useful to do with experience? I'm sitting at level 87 and was hoping there would be something useful I could use with all of this XP.

It's crazy how fast you gain levels when strip mining in this pack since cobble seems to give XP.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Garfu posted:

Is there anything useful to do with experience? I'm sitting at level 87 and was hoping there would be something useful I could use with all of this XP.

It's crazy how fast you gain levels when strip mining in this pack since cobble seems to give XP.

In a pack like this XP isn't something to really worry about. Also do you have a copper piece on a tinkers' pickaxe? That might be why you're gaining a ton of XP.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Garfu posted:

There's usually a way to convert the player's xp into liquid xp or a similar variant that gets used for things like automated enchanters, or EnderIO Dark Armor upgrades.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

So I'm at the point where my mission is to fly "home" in Exoria. But which planet is home? Is it Earth? I seem to be unlocking all the planets in Earth's solar system now, except Earth started out unlocked and I don't have a planet ID chip to land on it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

VegasGoat posted:

So I'm at the point where my mission is to fly "home" in Exoria. But which planet is home? Is it Earth? I seem to be unlocking all the planets in Earth's solar system now, except Earth started out unlocked and I don't have a planet ID chip to land on it.

It's Earth.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Sorry if my question wasn't clear I was more wondering how do I land on the planet without the planet ID chip for it? I think I found the answer though, apparently I use the station ID chip when launching from the orbiting station.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I have noticed a trend recently,

the current trend is : FORGET ANYTHING >1 VERSION AGO AND ONLY DO FOR THE LATEST

The problem is that people still like playing hexxit, voltz, tekkit Space, Tekkit Legends, TPPI, Agrarian skies, Yogscast Complete

and people are trying to produce plugins and stuff for these packs but whenever they ask for help in the forums/irc/dev channels the answer they get is "Stop doing that and move to the latest"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TheresaJayne posted:

the current trend is : FORGET ANYTHING >1 VERSION AGO AND ONLY DO FOR THE LATEST

The problem is that people still like playing hexxit, voltz, tekkit Space, Tekkit Legends, TPPI, Agrarian skies, Yogscast Complete

and people are trying to produce plugins and stuff for these packs but whenever they ask for help in the forums/irc/dev channels the answer they get is "Stop doing that and move to the latest"

If I made something 4 years ago and someone asked me to support it I would probably say "No, I'm working on 1.12 now" too. I get it's frustrating when it's something simple that someone has already figured out and just wants the owner to push a fix, but it's a bit of a "If you give a mouse a cookie" situation, particularly when everyone else sees that the mod owner is updating his 1.5 mod or whatever

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheresaJayne posted:

Ignore the haters, old packs are best. Keep trucking along.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rutibex posted:

Ignore the haters, old packs are best. Keep trucking along.

I tried out an old pack that was still being maintained, don't recall which one, and I spent a good hour troubleshooting why I couldn't map Sprint, before I discovered that that Minecraft version predated the Sprint feature.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Rift mod loader now has a Waila clone and a generator/power mod for 1.13.

Haven't tried any of it yet though.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

TheresaJayne posted:

'Recently'? Even during the days of 1.7, 1.6 was already lacking in features enough for me to be frustrated playing it. And yeah, supporting mods for any version but the latest is a pain in the rear end for like, a number of reasons. It's more work, it's lacking newer Minecraft features, it's lacking poo poo fixed by newer versions of Forge. It's remembering how the gently caress you coded something that's had three rewrites since Hexxit.

Yeah as an end user it's frustrating, and I was upset myself when, for example, IE's dev abruptly said, 'Okay, no more updates for 1.10, you should've bugchecked my obscure, unannounced beta if you wanted things fixed'. But, like, people can only do so much work, and can only remember so much about the arcane arts of however the hell things worked in your pet 1.2 pack or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
This is why we need brain copy+upload tech. Take a mod developer, determine at what point they were at the pinnacle of developing their mod for x Minecraft version, then copy their brain at that point, upload it to the Cloud, and make the primary driving impulse of the brain copy "perfect my mod for this version and support it forever."

This is 50% satire, 50% 'hmm, would be nice'.