Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody know a way to clear out a large area of bedrock? I think AE2 spatial storage won't touch them and I don't want to go around with a hammer for this much of a space.

RFTools builder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

A see-through material would probably not be great for performance if it comprised the whole world. That being said, I don't know how well minecraft does occlusion culling...

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

A see-through material would probably not be great for performance if it comprised the whole world. That being said, I don't know how well minecraft does occlusion culling...

I've created rftools flatlands worlds of just material:glass on Disasterpiece Theater and they were just fine. Server generated chunks as fast as you could explore and noone complained of lag while exploring said worlds. The goal was dimlet farming, of course. You could see all the way to bedrock and tons of water caves.

edit: with Time: Day, the only mob spawns I ever saw were in the dimlet huts.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 16, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's at least a little fussy in Minecraft, if I understand occlusion culling correctly

If you have a giant flat plane of blocks (e.g. a giant skyblock platform with no gaps) and punch a hole in it, you'll get a big lag spike as it opens up the hole that lets you see through - the next blocks you break won't have the lag. But if you fill the gaps in and punch a new hole, you'll get that lag spike again

I think this is one of the reasons that folks will break their islands up into manageable platforms with links - the gaps between them keeps the calculation area limited when you punch holes in platforms

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

It's at least a little fussy in Minecraft, if I understand occlusion culling correctly

If you have a giant flat plane of blocks (e.g. a giant skyblock platform with no gaps) and punch a hole in it, you'll get a big lag spike as it opens up the hole that lets you see through - the next blocks you break won't have the lag. But if you fill the gaps in and punch a new hole, you'll get that lag spike again

I think this is one of the reasons that folks will break their islands up into manageable platforms with links - the gaps between them keeps the calculation area limited when you punch holes in platforms

I've observed this too -- but it's not occlusion, it's lighting updates that cause the problem. For whatever reason, opening a hole from sky to the void like that causes a hard lag spike while it does a shitload of lighting calculations. If you put a roof over your platform, you no longer have that issue.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Got lag? Put a roof over it. Minecraft solutions! :shepface:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pollyanna posted:

Got lag? Put a roof over it. Minecraft solutions! :shepface:

New problem: making holes in my roof causes lag

Solution: roof roof

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
It's roofs all the way up!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

It's roofs all the way up!

Now there's a thread title.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Does anyone know if the roost mod for chickens will spew resources once the roost inventory is full? Building a pack and we are trying to keep it idiot proof. I know the roost collector is a thing but what happens when that is full?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

RFTools builder?

I tried but that didn't work in this case either. Major point: it's an RFtools dimension made out of bedrock and I'm trying to carve out a section of it in creative mode.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I tried but that didn't work in this case either. Major point: it's an RFtools dimension made out of bedrock and I'm trying to carve out a section of it in creative mode.

Use a maxed Terra shatterer with the ring of Thor. It's something absurd like 11x11x8 per hit.

Maybe world edit, but I don't know if there's still a maintained version.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Will the building gadgets voiding thinger do it? Not sure if the voiding thing is even released yet.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Taffer posted:

Use a maxed Terra shatterer with the ring of Thor. It's something absurd like 11x11x8 per hit.

There's still a maintained version of WE.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Taffer posted:

I did blow up some cobblestone I laid out for testing with that, but not bedrock.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Will the building gadgets voiding thinger do it? Not sure if the voiding thing is even released yet.

I'm actually still trying to figure that thing out. I don't even know how to configure that yet. Maybe?

Edit: The correct answer is the /fill command, apparently.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 17, 2018

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Happy Hedonist posted:

Does anyone know if the roost mod for chickens will spew resources once the roost inventory is full? Building a pack and we are trying to keep it idiot proof. I know the roost collector is a thing but what happens when that is full?

If its the same mod as in ALL THE MODS 3 then no. Once the nest thing is full they just stop producing.

You either need to hand empty it or automate empty it.

And im still enjoying enigmatica 2 skyblock.

Being an idiuot trying to build a 13x13 reactor (as its the one i know how to build) and omg the chip for the 8 reactor things is going to kill me.

ATM my base is running off 2 gas burners from mek.

AND

greatwood tree in the new thaum needs 4 saplings before it will grow. Think that was said above.

Right now im farming demon wills for blood magic as well as weak blood shards.

Tip. read the book. Ive been whacking mobs with my bound sword doing 3 damage. Forgot to actually activate it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What was the superbad thing(s) in Actually Additions? I think I deleted it based on something written in this thread, but I can't remember why. I was flustered when I found out I didn't have it after sitting down to toy with biodiesel.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What was the superbad thing(s) in Actually Additions? I think I deleted it based on something written in this thread, but I can't remember why. I was flustered when I found out I didn't have it after sitting down to toy with biodiesel.

I don't really understand what you're talking about, but I think you're thinking of canola power? It got mega nerfed and is basically worthless now.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I don't really understand what you're talking about, but I think you're thinking of canola power? It got mega nerfed and is basically worthless now.
I am pretty sure it was not that in itself, but rather something fundamental like degrading, lagging, crashing, or similar.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It’s difficult to automate the empowered seeds without ending up with thousands of seed entinties on the ground. I forget exactly where the problem. It’s not server friendly when people keep the process chunk loaded is all I know.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Happy Hedonist posted:

It’s difficult to automate the empowered seeds without ending up with thousands of seed entinties on the ground. I forget exactly where the problem. It’s not server friendly when people keep the process chunk loaded is all I know.

Well tons of entities is a problem in itself. I was thinking I'd try the biodiesel thing from it using Pam's Harvestcraft stuff, but it looks like a bad thing to recommend to others.

I think I can only send the biodiesel from Industrial Foregoing into EnderIO's combustion chamber. Nothing else was coming up--not even the dynamos in the Thermal universe. Is there anything better? I'm assuming that's pretty much it. It's easy enough to get nine different types of plants going in a pack that has a food mod, but I wonder if it's still better to just tree farm if one's going to try to create power from harvesting stuff.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

IE’s diesel generator will take biodiesel. So if your looking for something to do with it, there’s that.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The new Progress server will be up tomorrow (sunday) at 3PM CT (9PM UTC). :)

Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848234

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I want to make a modded server. What are some cool mods that focus on exploration, dungeons, cool new toys to play with, that sort of jazz. I really like the giant volcano mod screenshot on the previous page. What's that one?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is All The Mods 3 a good modpack? Can I add, say, a dungeon mod on top of it? Sorry, I'm pretty green on this and the OP is 3 years out of date.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Average Bear posted:

Is All The Mods 3 a good modpack? Can I add, say, a dungeon mod on top of it? Sorry, I'm pretty green on this and the OP is 3 years out of date.

I find ATM3 extremely poor performing due to having every loving mod included

I like FTB Presents Direwolf20 1.12 as a good kitchen sink pack. Don't see why you couldn't throw in a dungeon mod if there's one you like

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Devor posted:

I find ATM3 extremely poor performing due to having every loving mod included

I like FTB Presents Direwolf20 1.12 as a good kitchen sink pack. Don't see why you couldn't throw in a dungeon mod if there's one you like

Cool! I'm looking at the mod packs through this new Twitch launcher. Any of them stick out as good? I *HATE* the ones that require you to have an engineering degree, 500 hours of free time, and a PhD in Computer Science to make a sword, so I'd like to avoid packs that focus on those.

I'm trying to get something that's fun with a couple of friends. Vanilla minecraft is fun to build, but we also like Terraria for all the other stuff you can go off an do between building as well.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Average Bear posted:

Cool! I'm looking at the mod packs through this new Twitch launcher. Any of them stick out as good? I *HATE* the ones that require you to have an engineering degree, 500 hours of free time, and a PhD in Computer Science to make a sword, so I'd like to avoid packs that focus on those.

If you find one, let me know.

At least on my end, I've just been experimenting with finding individual mods that don't make me feel like I'm doing homework, and adding extras and utilities alongside them, then calling them modpacks. :v: It works well enough, I guess.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Enigmatica 2 comes up a lot when I look for exploration mods. I know it includes the industrial crap, but that can be avoided. Anyone try it before?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Depends. Enigmatica 2 is a sandbox so you don't really need to interact with any mod you don't care for, but Enigmatica 2 Expert has progression and everything and IC2 is unavoidable. That said you don't actually need to progress past LV power or anything. As soon as you make a few circuits, you can already be on the way to getting into Mekanism instead and using its circuits.

Edit: oh wait, it looks like you were talking more general 'industrial crap'. I uh, don't really know what you're talking about when you say 'require you to have an engineering degree, 500 hours of free time, and a PhD in Computer Science to make a sword'. That's pretty weird. So I'm not really sure how to phrase a review of the pack in a way that might be helpful to you. I've also only played the Expert Skyblock version of it. Which is a good skyblock.

Otherwise, Enigmatica 2 seems designed for exploration stuff, and has a lot of the popular up-to-datest mods?

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 18, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It looks like Industrial Foregoing's sower doesn't keep the ground it's planting wet like the old MFR planter. That was strange to figure out.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Well just found out you can't use twitch for servers. Fuuuu

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Average Bear posted:

I'm trying to get something that's fun with a couple of friends. Vanilla minecraft is fun to build, but we also like Terraria for all the other stuff you can go off an do between building as well.

The pack I'm recommending is named "FTB Presents Direwolf20 1.12" - you can check out the pack on the Twitch launcher for single player

You can find videos on youtube if you google the name to see how some people play it (though it's a kitchen sink pack, so you can largely ignore the stuff you don't like and focus on stuff you do)

If you poke around on the major packs you can usually find server downloads, like for Direwolf:
https://www.feed-the-beast.com/projects/ftb-presents-direwolf20-1-12/files

Choose the version you want (latest should be fine)
Scroll down, there's a link under 'additional files' for FTB Presents Direwolf20 1.12-1.12.2-2.4.0-Server.zip

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Progress is out!

The pack is updated with new mods, significantly more cross-mod interaction, and quests to guide new players and give everyone a goal to work towards. As always, the goal is a server that performs silky smooth for both clients and server, and avoids redundant mods.

The server is now live, so come on in and enjoy! I know I've been spamming the thread so this'll be my last post advertising it.

Modpack link: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/progress
Thread with server and discord details: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848234

Heffer
May 1, 2003

That's a fountain of sewage isn't it. Don't tell me chocolate milk; I won't fall for that twice.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Heffer posted:

That's a fountain of sewage isn't it. Don't tell me chocolate milk; I won't fall for that twice.

Only the finest Shitsco Genuine High Grade Product, friend.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I finally got to the point where I was ready to make creative stuff in Enigmatica 2 Expert, and my SSD died, taking my savegame with it. :negative:

Welp, at least I've got Progress to look forward to!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Which mod is providing the contiguous, colored, redstone-controlled light blocks?

More stuff: What would it be like to update this biogenerator control setup for 1.12.2?

Apparently the barrels have redstone upgrades to emit when empty. There's an XU transfer node feeding the reactor with rationing pipes. Rednet cables carrying the redstone signals. I'm surprised that part works as-is. Do rednet cables pretty much work like a giant AND gate when multiple things output to them? Would EnderIOs redstone conduits work similarly?

I'm wondering if I could use Storage Drawers instead of JABBA barrels since I don't have that mod installed.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 19, 2018

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Ok I finally got a server running with a hand made mod pack. Is there anything I should know about conflicts between any of these mods? You guys know better than I do.

I already caught Forestry generating a second type of tin and copper that TE already provided. Fixed that config for the next world gen.

ActuallyAdditions-1.12.2-r143.jar
    ActuallyBaubles-1.12-1.1.jar
    AppleCore-mc1.12.2-3.1.4.jar
    AppleSkin-mc1.12-1.0.9.jar
    Aquaculture-1.12.2-1.6.7.jar
    Baubles-1.12-1.5.2.jar
    BetterBuildersWands-1.12-0.11.1.245+69d0d70.jar
    BiblioCraft[v2.4.5][MC1.12.2].jar
    BloodMagic-1.12.2-2.3.3-101.jar
    Ceramics-1.12-1.3.6.jar
    Chameleon-1.12-4.1.3.jar
    ChickenChunks-1.12.2-2.4.1.73-universal.jar
    chiselsandbits-14.27.jar
    Clumps-3.1.1.jar
    CodeChickenLib-1.12.2-3.2.2.353-universal.jar
    CoFHCore-1.12.2-4.6.1.22-universal.jar
    CoFHWorld-1.12.2-1.3.0.6-universal.jar
    comforts-1.12.2-1.3.1.jar
    conarm-1.12.2-1.2.0.1.jar
    Controlling-3.0.6.jar
    CraftTweaker2-1.12-4.1.11.jar
    CTM-MC1.12.2-0.3.2.20.jar
    Cucumber-1.12.2-1.1.1.jar
    DefaultOptions_1.12.2-9.2.8.jar
    EnderStorage-1.12.2-2.4.5.135-universal.jar
    FastFurnace-1.12.2-1.2.0.jar
    FastWorkbench-1.12.2-1.6.0.jar
    foamfix-0.10.3-1.12.2.jar
    forestry_1.12.2-5.8.1.322.jar
    gottagofast-1.1.jar
    Guide-API-1.12-2.1.6-61.jar
    Harvest-1.12-1.2.6-18.jar
    inventorysorter-1.12.2-1.13.3+57.jar
    InventoryTweaks-1.63.jar
    IronBackpacks-1.12.2-3.0.8-12.jar
    ironchest-1.12.2-7.0.40.824.jar
    IvToolkit-1.3.3-1.12.jar
    jeibees-0.9.0.5-mc1.12.2.jar
    jei_1.12.2-4.13.1.222.jar
    journeymap-1.12.2-5.5.2.jar
    Mantle-1.12-1.3.3.39.jar
    memory_repo
    millenaire
    millenaire-1.12.2-7.0.0.jar
    millenaire-custom
    Morpheus-1.12-3.3.2.jar
    MouseTweaks-2.9-mc1.12.2.jar
    MysticalAgriculture-1.12-1.6.13.jar
    NetherPortalFix_1.12.1-5.3.17.jar
    NoMobSpawningOnTrees-1.2.2-mc1.12.2.jar
    Pam's HarvestCraft 1.12.2za.jar
    Pam's Simple Recipes 1.12.2c.jar
    QuickLeafDecay-MC1.12.1-1.2.4.jar
    reauth-3.6.0.jar
    RecurrentComplex-1.4.7.jar
    RedstoneFlux-1.12-2.1.0.6-universal.jar
    RoguelikeDungeons-1.12.2-1.8.0.jar
    StorageDrawers-1.12.2-5.3.7.jar
    TConstruct-1.12.2-2.11.0.106.jar
    Thaumcraft-1.12.2-6.1.BETA26.jar
    TheBetweenlands-3.4.1-universal.jar
    ThermalDynamics-1.12.2-2.5.3.16-universal.jar
    ThermalExpansion-1.12.2-5.5.2.39-universal.jar
    ThermalFoundation-1.12.2-2.6.1.22-universal.jar
    TombManyGraves-1.12-4.2.0.jar
    torchmaster_1.12.2-1.6.4.62.jar
    Traverse-1.12.2-1.6.0-69.jar
    twilightforest-1.12.2-3.8.689-universal.jar
    VeinMiner-1.12-0.38.2.647+b31535a.jar
    Waystones_1.12.2-4.0.67.jar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Oh and are any of these gonna cause the server to run like poo poo? I already have my eye on millenaire, which has autonomous villagers running around doing stuff.