Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Always MFR if it's in the pack. Build your empire out of trees, crops, animals and mob spawners/grinders! A MFR planter/harvester set up with a tree farm that burns all the wood into charcoal for steam dynamos is my go-to pre-nuclear mass power installation. Endless apples to eat or process is just a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

chairface posted:

Always MFR if it's in the pack. Build your empire out of trees, crops, animals and mob spawners/grinders! A MFR planter/harvester set up with a tree farm that burns all the wood into charcoal for steam dynamos is my go-to pre-nuclear mass power installation. Endless apples to eat or process is just a bonus.

Forgot about MFR as well, thanks for the tip! I remember doing the pink slime thing... I think in BFSR? (shoutouts to Rocko Bonaparte that modpack rules) but I never really used it for power generation, since by the time I was looking at it I already had a nuclear reactor.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Beekeeping and You posted:

Forgot about MFR as well, thanks for the tip! I remember doing the pink slime thing... I think in BFSR? (shoutouts to Rocko Bonaparte that modpack rules) but I never really used it for power generation, since by the time I was looking at it I already had a nuclear reactor.

Ahhh if you were a real hard-core BFSR player then you would have looked at that quest that routed a tree farm directly into steam generators into a turbine. There was even a demo setup in Baby's First Space City. :colbert:

(I'm trying to figure out how viable this is in 1.12.2 right now so I have been thinking about this particular situation)

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ahhh if you were a real hard-core BFSR player then you would have looked at that quest that routed a tree farm directly into steam generators into a turbine. There was even a demo setup in Baby's First Space City. :colbert:

(I'm trying to figure out how viable this is in 1.12.2 right now so I have been thinking about this particular situation)

I made the turbine and the steam generators but I wasn't hurting for power so I basically ignored them and forgot about them until now :saddowns: I think I only made the pink slime for the laser focus anyway

If you need help testing a 1.12 BFSR though, let me know, since a beginner-friendly 1.12 pack with quests built in is basically exactly what I'm looking for.

...I'm not a beginner, but I'm dumb and lazy and hate grinding, and most HQM packs are "expert" packs that require you to know what you're doing and hate yourself. :v: Maybe I should just go back to sevtech and cheat through the first two ages

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 13, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

"ah yes, i will try the bees", thinks yet another innocent, unaware of what is to come

i have a friend that played minecraft exclusively to play with bees in depth, twice. he hasn't touched minecraft outside that, bees were literally the only reason he was on our server.

i don't know what the gently caress either, but some people are just weird like that :v:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Beekeeping and You posted:

If you need help testing a 1.12 BFSR though, let me know, since a beginner-friendly 1.12 pack with quests built in is basically exactly what I'm looking for.

:same: I would be more than happy to playtest when you get to that point, Rocko. I'm not exactly a beginner, but my last experience with mods was, well, BFSR, so I'm not up-to-date either.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I am tired of only using vanilla leaves when building poo poo and the chisels and bits mod author has straight up told me that he doesn't want to automatically register all leaves in the oredict with his mod because he feels it isn't his job. He told me to reference this for the registration:

https://github.com/SlimeKnights/Tin...ndBits.java#L32

how feasible would it be to make my own mod/ask someone who knows how to mod minecraft to do the registration?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Xun posted:

...he doesn't want to automatically register all leaves in the oredict with his mod because he feels it isn't his job.

But...that IS his responsibility, as a mod dev. It would be up to him to make his mod look for an oredict instead of specific hardcoded blocks.

Fuckin' Minecraft modders..."It's not my responsibility to develop my mod!"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Xun posted:

I am tired of only using vanilla leaves when building poo poo and the chisels and bits mod author has straight up told me that he doesn't want to automatically register all leaves in the oredict with his mod because he feels it isn't his job. He told me to reference this for the registration:

https://github.com/SlimeKnights/Tin...ndBits.java#L32

how feasible would it be to make my own mod/ask someone who knows how to mod minecraft to do the registration?

Pretty feasible, I believe. You can pull all blocks that use a particular oredict key with this method: https://github.com/MinecraftForge/M...onary.java#L539

Get the block obj out of every returned itemstack that has a block obj associated with it, and pass it to IMC in the manner you linked above. Do this rather late in the initialization process I believe, but there's probably a limit on how late you can do it. Try postinitialize and if it's hosed then try initialize.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

But...that IS his responsibility, as a mod dev. It would be up to him to make his mod look for an oredict instead of specific hardcoded blocks.

It's a huge mod he's spent his free time developing so you can place a ton of different blocks in a kids block placing game. He has no responsibilities. He looks like he's about 18 and is probably in the midst of earning a degree.

loving Minecraft modders. How dare they release free stuff, provide hundreds of hours of entertainment, and not implement every feature I demand.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

would have thought that's supposed to mean "if this were to be implemented it would be the mod dev that has to do it because it's internal to the mod" rather than "the mod dev must do it immediately" but ok dude you can log off the alt now

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah looking back on it now I think I sounded way more terse and annoyed at the mod author than I intended :blush:

I know how to program in Java but I have no experience with Minecraft modding so I wasn't sure if the example he posted could be done outside of a mod. Asking in the modded Minecraft discord just ended up in an argument where nerds tried to tell me that leaves aren't even supported by the mod at all :shrug:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

dragonshardz posted:

Whoa there, don't upset the modder, he might get huffy and take his mod down despite over a million downloads!

What do you mean, Minecraft Nexus doesn't exist :confused:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

It's the guy who made AE2 and C&B, I think he probably knows well enough what belongs in the mod. And no, it's not his responsibility. Modders do it for fun and give away their work for free, and when you develop two of the most popular MC mods you get people screaming at you to add features all the time, it's basically a necessity to ignore it all for the sake of your sanity, even if some of the requests are very reasonable.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

What am I doing wrong with Nuclear Craft?

It's at 427 Million K and I still can't add fuel?

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Are there any blocks that are TPS aware? I want to toggle off my dark matter pedestals when I'm accidentally tanking the TPS on my local server. Best option I'm seeing is using a ComputerCraft Command computer to parse /cofh tps somehow and then send a redstone pulse to the pedestals. I'm hoping theres a shortcut.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Ak Gara posted:

What am I doing wrong with Nuclear Craft?

It's at 427 Million K and I still can't add fuel?

Are you piping your fuel into the 3x3x3 core? That's where it's supposed to go.

Also I've sometimes run into issues with the NC fusion generator, particularly if it fills its internal RF buffer. Try breaking and replacing the core.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

would have thought that's supposed to mean "if this were to be implemented it would be the mod dev that has to do it because it's internal to the mod" rather than "the mod dev must do it immediately" but ok dude you can log off the alt now

This is what I meant, yes.

Taffer posted:

It's the guy who made AE2 and C&B, I think he probably knows well enough what belongs in the mod. And no, it's not his responsibility. Modders do it for fun and give away their work for free, and when you develop two of the most popular MC mods you get people screaming at you to add features all the time, it's basically a necessity to ignore it all for the sake of your sanity, even if some of the requests are very reasonable.

Registering an oredict entry with his mod, correctly, would be his responsibility since doing so is probably internal to the mod and it would be silly to make a mod that has no function but to register a group of blocks from a third mod as compatible with chiselbits.

If the guy's response was along the lines of, "Honestly I'm busy as gently caress but feel free to submit a PR!" that's cool, but going "No I won't add it it's not my job" pretty strongly implies he just won't do it period.

Xun posted:

Yeah looking back on it now I think I sounded way more terse and annoyed at the mod author than I intended :blush:

I know how to program in Java but I have no experience with Minecraft modding so I wasn't sure if the example he posted could be done outside of a mod. Asking in the modded Minecraft discord just ended up in an argument where nerds tried to tell me that leaves aren't even supported by the mod at all :shrug:

You can chiselbit the poo poo out of vanilla leaves in 1.12.2, but then also this is a modded Minecraft discord so :hurr:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

MaliciousOnion posted:

Are you piping your fuel into the 3x3x3 core? That's where it's supposed to go.

Also I've sometimes run into issues with the NC fusion generator, particularly if it fills its internal RF buffer. Try breaking and replacing the core.

I don't seem to be getting the correct GUI. I tried a later version of nuclearcraft and it just crashes when I place any NC object in the world.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Instead of the latest version, I used a slightly less latest and managed to get it to work! :)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Zack Ater posted:

:same: I would be more than happy to playtest when you get to that point, Rocko. I'm not exactly a beginner, but my last experience with mods was, well, BFSR, so I'm not up-to-date either.

Half the problem for me now is figuring out what is what any more. I wrote off trying to copy the tutorial dimension from 1.7.10 and just started over. I am using that as a sandbox to try out new stuff.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

naaaaah why is everything exploding!?

Also, seems draconic evolution's energy pylons have a transfer limit of 2.383 TRF/t? Weird. Luckily I can use more than one for input.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Electromagnet blocks explode if they don't get enough power IIRC. Either you don't have enough throughput or you're running out of juice. Try cryo-stabilized fluxduct?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I'm using Mek's ultimate cable, is that not enough?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

It should be, although I've never built such a large ring. Individually, the blocks don't use a great amount of RF, but you've got a lot of them.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Huh. My Draconic Energy Core, while still taking in power, stopped sending power :confused:

[edit] Must have shift clicked on the outgoing pylon turning it into an incoming.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 16, 2018

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Ak Gara posted:

naaaaah why is everything exploding!?

Also, seems draconic evolution's energy pylons have a transfer limit of 2.383 TRF/t? Weird. Luckily I can use more than one for input.

What are you doing for shaders?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Ugh loving BEE RANT TIME.

So I'm playing Exoria and I think I might just quit. I hit the point where I need a shitton of knightslime and naturally the best way to do this is bees because the other way involves making a mob grinder in a modpack without easy mob spawning setups.

So. Fine. I'll do bees. I've got drat near infinite diamonds and infinite power, so Gendustry should be easy right? RIGHT?

No. It's not. Why are bees so terrible? Even with Gendustry, the 'throw power at the problem to win' mod, it's still a loving nightmare and takes weeks. Also, there's always a million loving beespecies so you have to REPEATEDLY breed true and go forward or whoops hope your exoria bee wasn't a hybrid because now it's a rock and you're a rock and gently caress you while I'm at it.

Even Gendustry is like 'oh yeah we'll randomly select a trait because gently caress you' so if you find a bee with a trait you want/need you need to breed it for a while, which is a loving pain in the rear end even with short life templates.

OH AND YOU CAN'T MODIFY QUEENS EITHER SO THAT'S A WHOLE EXTRA loving STEP EVERY TIME.

Seriously, gently caress bees forever.

The real final straw was getting a Bee that needed Warm, and the temperature was hot...so the industrial apiary didn't work. It would either be Hot or Normal, but not Warm. So gently caress you and gently caress this and gently caress all of this poo poo.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 17, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Falcon2001 posted:

Ugh loving BEE RANT TIME.

So I'm playing Exoria and I think I might just quit. I hit the point where I need a shitton of knightslime and naturally the best way to do this is bees because the other way involves making a mob grinder in a modpack without easy mob spawning setups.

So. Fine. I'll do bees. I've got drat near infinite diamonds and infinite power, so Gendustry should be easy right? RIGHT?

No. It's not. Why are bees so terrible? Even with Gendustry, the 'throw power at the problem to win' mod, it's still a loving nightmare and takes weeks. Also, there's always a million loving beespecies so you have to REPEATEDLY breed true and go forward or whoops hope your exoria bee wasn't a hybrid because now it's a rock and you're a rock and gently caress you while I'm at it.

Even Gendustry is like 'oh yeah we'll randomly select a trait because gently caress you' so if you find a bee with a trait you want/need you need to breed it for a while, which is a loving pain in the rear end even with short life templates.

Seriously, gently caress bees forever.

I don't recall knightslime needing any bee poo poo. Once I made the required poo poo for the Exoria artifact or whatever, I never touched bees again for the rest of the pack.

e: if you need pink slime, the fairies on the Exoria planet can emit an infinite amount of pink slime and they never die.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I don't recall knightslime needing any bee poo poo. Once I made the required poo poo for the Exoria artifact or whatever, I never touched bees again for the rest of the pack.

Well if you don't get it through bees you need a ton of pink slime and poison, which at the time seemed like more work (given that it's quite a pain in the rear end to setup a real non-woot mob farm in Exoria.)

Edit edit: I think they fixed the fairy pink slime thing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Sounds like it's time for a version rollback~

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sage Grimm posted:

Sounds like it's time for a version rollback~

Seriously. How could they nerf this?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I would like to point out that I first tried Exoria, and gave it up quickly. I then saw the gifs of the fairy meat machine and then played it through to the Misty world, at which point I got distracted by some game or another.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

Well if you don't get it through bees you need a ton of pink slime and poison, which at the time seemed like more work (given that it's quite a pain in the rear end to setup a real non-woot mob farm in Exoria.)

You could breed animals to get the needed slime. Pigs are more efficient for it IIRC.
Knightslime is how you get to the moon, so you have misty world unlocked. You could go there and grind up all the drones and grove sprites. For instance I believe you could make a little hut with slaughterhouses pointed in each direction powered passively, then go afk. Drones spawn all the time within aggro range and will run into the slaughterhouses. Might even be possible to funnel them into a single grinder?

I forget how much pink slime you need and how much a single hostile mob gives. I remember not needing nearly as much pink slime as my fairy torture device gave.

But yeah I don't think the dev understands bees, as he was quite adamant about not giving access to 3 or 4 fertility. He thinks mutation rate is all you need. Apparently he hasn't tried turning newly mutated bees into purebred ones...
You could just cheat all the pink slime in.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Prokhor posted:

What are you doing for shaders?

Sildurs Vibrant Shaders v1.17 Medium

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also with the poison, I believe you can watering can the tops of those mushrooms down in the Misty poison poo poo. Move away from the world origin and your filter will last longer.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Can't you get purple slime blocks from those floating slime islands?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ak Gara posted:

Can't you get purple slime blocks from those floating slime islands?

This is Exoria -- that worldgen is disabled. Also, the recipe for knightslime is modified to require IF pink slime, signalum, that poison stuff from Misty World, and I think something else?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks; I'll either cheat in the pink slime or just setup a pigfarm or something. Just really disappointing.

You can actually get Fertility 4 now, since he enabled the hiveacynth (also means you can get the apiarists outfit), but...ugh. It's just so time consuming and fiddly and you have to do it SO many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Falcon2001 posted:

What is this of which you speak?