Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

runchild posted:

Can’t you just achieve that by installing a resource pack?

Doesn't actually solve the problem in a multiplayer context. I think he's talking about in-game cosmetic options so people can have their own looks when they're all building their own poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Patware posted:

Doesn't actually solve the problem in a multiplayer context. I think he's talking about in-game cosmetic options so people can have their own looks when they're all building their own poo poo.
Yeah, this. I've seen plenty of resource packs, but they're an all or nothing. I want like, five people to be able to make an induction smelter and all five have different looks. It's dumb, but that's me~

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Also the clientside nature of resource packs means that what might look good on your client will probably not make sense on someone else's client.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Whalley posted:

Yeah, this. I've seen plenty of resource packs, but they're an all or nothing. I want like, five people to be able to make an induction smelter and all five have different looks. It's dumb, but that's me~

A TC-esque machine system would be neat: every machine starts as an empty frame, you slot different components in the frame's gui to 'build' it, each component gives a bonus or penalty to different aspects of the machine based on the material used to make it, and changes the appearance of the block.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I get irrational when I have to store a hundred similar but-not-quite components that do not stack because their NBT values are different. it's why I don't engage with Tinker's Construct as well as I could.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
chisel options for machines would be neat

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh hey there's a beta update for Sevtech out that nerfs shadow mobs and shoggoths, and increases the spawn rate of shoggoth lairs (as in, more lairs). Notably, Shoggoths can't destroy blocks or items anymore, so you can use plain cobble to wall off their lairs again. Their spit would normally destroy cobble and anything else of comparable material hardness(or did it just ignore non-vanilla blocks?)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It also includes the new AsSorc perks which are crazy good. The lesser shoggoth spit is completely gone. Only thing you'll want to look out for is some enchants were removed and AsSorc ritual crystals can break while charged with a collector.

E: As a note for the new perks: rush to the middle for the one that lets you get all the roots without connections. This allows you to get experience from pretty much every action. Epiphanies are also very good and once you fully unlock one block it only takes two perks to completely unlock the two others for a big boost to experience gain.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 18, 2019

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Whalley posted:

why put either in if they both do what thermal/eio do, just slower and full of more bullshit :getin:

Honestly I wish the standard 'tech' mods were... more homogenous? Like, playing multiplayer, everyone's technical portion of the base looks the same. Same powered furnaces, same ore processing machines, etc, because there's always a point when one thing is clearly the "best" option. I wanna play a multiplayer pack where you have the same top tier tech gear/armor/tools, but you get to choose what the machines themselves look like without doing a crazy Iskall-esque "build facades around your machines to make them look more complicated than they are."

Hell, I'd be fine with a pack that just gave you Vanilla, But Options. Ten different kinds of diamond, all paintable, but the tiers are exactly the same.

e: gently caress it, that's my new fancy mod idea. Style Kits for Thermal machines. Lemme change up the art style, but not the functionality. Turn servos into weird plugs, or furnaces into wild west machines, just... make them look different.

I had an idea for a mod where it allows you to change the graphical look of any block in any mod, as well as allowing you to swap the gui of the machine.

Want IE looking machines with TE gui and workability, sure.

0 coding skills. but im an idea guy. ** dont steal. copyright.

EDIIITTTT

does the new sevtech add in the AS perk circle?, hmmmmm i will update for that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Nevets posted:

A TC-esque machine system would be neat: every machine starts as an empty frame, you slot different components in the frame's gui to 'build' it, each component gives a bonus or penalty to different aspects of the machine based on the material used to make it, and changes the appearance of the block.

incredibly down with this concept

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Light Gun Man posted:

incredibly down with this concept

Incremental upgrades to machines are tedious in practice if you don't simplify it like the new-ish upgrade kits in TE

You muck around with the bottom tier until you unlock the best tier - unless there's something gating you

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

How about for every machine when you set it up you have to play a minigame like a zachtronics game such as spacechem or shenzhen i/o to determine the logic and processing ability of the machine :v:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hooplah posted:

How about for every machine when you set it up you have to play a minigame like a zachtronics game such as spacechem or shenzhen i/o to determine the logic and processing ability of the machine :v:
I... wouldn't hate that :negative:

Like for real, imagine having a wiring minigame that you can jump into and make the machine work better whenever you want, as you build components. It wouldn't be fun on every playthrough but that first playthrough? poo poo would be dope.

Speaking of multiple playthroughs, I'm glad I took a bit of a break because I'm actually really enjoying Sky Factory 4 right now, and I'm sorrrrta seeing the point in the prestige system (although I'm not actually playing with it). Like, you play through until you get a point to allow for Hopping Bonsais to be unlocked, then you quickly reset and start again but now you can automate saplings (where resources come from). Reset again and get access to vein miner and hopping bonsais, etc. It kinda fills a void for people like me who find the early stages of a new resource system to be the funnest part. I don't have the time to commit to restarting over and over, but if I did I'd probably play with prestige enabled.

e: Wait, prestige doesn't necessitate restarting - it's just a means of unlocking New Tools. Now I'm confused all over again by the system

Wungus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 18, 2019

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Whalley posted:

Like for real, imagine having a wiring minigame that you can jump into and make the machine work better whenever you want, as you build components. It wouldn't be fun on every playthrough but that first playthrough? poo poo would be dope.

Speaking of multiple playthroughs, I'm glad I took a bit of a break because I'm actually really enjoying Sky Factory 4 right now, and I'm sorrrrta seeing the point in the prestige system (although I'm not actually playing with it). Like, you play through until you get a point to allow for Hopping Bonsais to be unlocked, then you quickly reset and start again but now you can automate saplings (where resources come from). Reset again and get access to vein miner and hopping bonsais, etc. It kinda fills a void for people like me who find the early stages of a new resource system to be the funnest part. I don't have the time to commit to restarting over and over, but if I did I'd probably play with prestige enabled.

e: Wait, prestige doesn't necessitate restarting - it's just a means of unlocking New Tools. Now I'm confused all over again by the system

Prestige is just, essentially, SkyFactory IIII's version of an Expert Mode. What most people seem to be doing is having a main world where they actually progress and make a ton of other worlds where they do the first page for a point and then delete it and make a new one and repeat the process.

Even if you use the machine that generates points via power it still has a restart feature. You start the machine, feed it enough power, and after a set amount of time it will kick you from your World and restart it to the state it was when you first turned the machine on and give you a point. IIRC the power requirements go up for each point.

If none of this sounds entertaining to you, then definitely do not use Prestige mode. If you do want to do Prestige mode then maybe shoot for the bag that is supposed to fast forward early mode (6 points) after you get hopping bonsai and ore excavation (and probably a mulch or two).

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 18, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it sounds like astral sorcery has been steadily getting built upon since it first came out

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Whalley posted:

We turned off prestige mode in the server, it seemed like an unnecessary complication. However, we're using the Compact Machines map, so you're constrained by space until you complete challenges to get access to larger and larger compact machine rooms. It's pretty fun so far, and hopping bonsais are the best feature.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Maguoob posted:

Prestige is just, essentially, SkyFactory IIII's version of an Expert Mode. What most people seem to be doing is having a main world where they actually progress and make a ton of other worlds where they do the first page for a point and then delete it and make a new one and repeat the process.

Even if you use the machine that generates points via power it still has a restart feature. You start the machine, feed it enough power, and after a set amount of time it will kick you from your World and restart it to the state it was when you first turned the machine on and give you a point. IIRC the power requirements go up for each point.

If none of this sounds entertaining to you, then definitely do not use Prestige mode. If you do want to do Prestige mode then maybe shoot for the bag that is supposed to fast forward early mode (6 points) after you get hopping bonsai and ore excavation (and probably a mulch or two).
Yeah that sounds really weird. Just grinding the first page of achievements over and over does not sound like it adds much.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Whalley posted:

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, mechanically that's pretty much what IC2 and nuclearcraft both do for fission reactors, to dome extent. I honestly think that style of design could be applied much more broadly, as long as it's easy to copy/paste finished "solved" builds from the community for those that don't wanna gently caress with a mechanic like that.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

If one were looking to create a sky block void world with some prebuilt islands, is there some way you can force an area to be a certain biome?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Devor posted:

Incremental upgrades to machines are tedious in practice if you don't simplify it like the new-ish upgrade kits in TE

You muck around with the bottom tier until you unlock the best tier - unless there's something gating you

I just like stuff that reinforces materials having properties. Like redstone making things faster, glowstone lighting stuff up, whatever. Certain metals having better thermal properties / speeds than others, that kinda thing.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

McFrugal posted:

Oh hey there's a beta update for Sevtech out that nerfs shadow mobs and shoggoths, and increases the spawn rate of shoggoth lairs (as in, more lairs). Notably, Shoggoths can't destroy blocks or items anymore, so you can use plain cobble to wall off their lairs again. Their spit would normally destroy cobble and anything else of comparable material hardness(or did it just ignore non-vanilla blocks?)

What's the usual timeframe on a beta update going to release? It's really funny to me that SevTech pushed its first update in, what, half a year? Right after I started playing with a friend of mine (his first minecrafting ever, much less modded) and right now we're standing outside a Darklands ready to die.

Is the beta stable enough that we might as well go for that?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Patware posted:

What's the usual timeframe on a beta update going to release? It's really funny to me that SevTech pushed its first update in, what, half a year? Right after I started playing with a friend of mine (his first minecrafting ever, much less modded) and right now we're standing outside a Darklands ready to die.

Is the beta stable enough that we might as well go for that?

I dunno, I haven't updated to the beta branch.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

runchild posted:

If one were looking to create a sky block void world with some prebuilt islands, is there some way you can force an area to be a certain biome?

Make sure to use the same seed for map gen so you know where certain biomes are?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Sage Grimm posted:

Make sure to use the same seed for map gen so you know where certain biomes are?

My idea involves hand-building a series of islands so AFAIK it would have to involve a world file bundled in. I’d just really like to be able to put a cluster of islands close to each other where one is a desert, one is a jungle, one has snow, etc. I can make ‘em look like that but I’d like them to actually work for biome-dependent stuff.

Also do the mods that help you make empty worlds still lay out a biome map or is everything just one biome?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Whalley posted:

why put either in if they both do what thermal/eio do, just slower and full of more bullshit :getin:
IC2 machines are extremely fast with upgrades.

IE has the excavator and is a multi-block, moving-part type factory mod rather than magic blocks.

Sometimes there are alternative pulverizer/crusher, centrifuge, and other recipes so you want to use a crusher from one mod on something but a TE pulverizer on other stuff.

Most kitchen sink packs include a lot of stuff just so people can use what they like. The better packs these days change recipes so there's a point to using certain things.

Also, I don't buy the arms race argument. Why have any mod when you could just pull things out of JEI with creative? How about Mekanism being "better" than any of the things you listed? I'm more on the side of "the pack creator should include the mods that fit the theme of the pack".

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 19, 2019

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Khorne posted:

Also, I don't buy the arms race argument. Why have any mod when you could just pull things out of JEI with creative? How about Mekanism being "better" than any of the things you listed? I'm more on the side of "the pack creator should include the mods that fit the theme of the pack".

Different people find different tasks to be 'bullshit' - I really dislike multiblocks that aren't easy to assemble, and I skip using those mods if at all possible. And weird Multiblocks with lots of different specific pieces required are one of the more egregious pieces of bullshit if you don't like them because it's not something you can just JEI cheat in if it's not your cup of tea to fiddle around with figuring out the configuration.

I don't mind checks like "spend some diamonds on this machine" or "do you have an alloy" or "make lots of graphite and iron to build a Reactor"

But after doing the new EnderIO clippings bullshit I added it to my list of "bullshit I won't do" and just cheat them in once I'm close to the right point resource-wise.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
does anyone have any recommendations for a quest based mod? i kind of need structure to keep invested in a game.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

does anyone have any recommendations for a quest based mod? i kind of need structure to keep invested in a game.

Sevtech Ages is very structured.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

McFrugal posted:

Sevtech Ages is very structured.

i tried it, i can't seem to get into it

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I suggest Break Out. It's the first quest pack I didn't bounce off of

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mycroft Holmes posted:

It's a bit old at this point but I still really, really like Blightfall.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

bird food bathtub posted:

It's a bit old at this point but I still really, really like Blightfall.

tried it, not interested.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Devor posted:

Different people find different tasks to be 'bullshit' - I really dislike multiblocks that aren't easy to assemble, and I skip using those mods if at all possible. And weird Multiblocks with lots of different specific pieces required are one of the more egregious pieces of bullshit if you don't like them because it's not something you can just JEI cheat in if it's not your cup of tea to fiddle around with figuring out the configuration.

I don't mind checks like "spend some diamonds on this machine" or "do you have an alloy" or "make lots of graphite and iron to build a Reactor"

But after doing the new EnderIO clippings bullshit I added it to my list of "bullshit I won't do" and just cheat them in once I'm close to the right point resource-wise.
I'll be honest, my favorite tech mod family is thermal. There's fairly limited bullshit provided no one disables the fluid transposer recipes for the mob drops.

I just see plenty of reasons to like or dislike all mods. It's good when different packs have different feels, progression, and things available or unavailable.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 20, 2019

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Okay it looks like you have weird standards, so just go into the "Browse modpacks" tab of the twitch launcher, click on "All" to get the dropdown and select Quests. That'll show you a bunch of modpacks. You can also change Featured to Popularity or whatever.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Ultimate Alchemy only has one quest ("Make clay") but still gives a good sense of progression as you figure out all the steps required to actually make something.

You might also check out the old Ferrett Business pack, which has both quests and a quest-based trade system to get resources.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Mycroft Holmes posted:

How about you say what you are interested in then, because boy is this super helpful.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Mycroft Holmes posted:

tried [blightfall], not interested.

yeah you probably aren't gonna find what you're looking for in minecraft mods if blightfall wasn't immediately your poo poo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

blightfall is kind of the epitome of a questpack done right so i really dunno what to suggest or say

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay so in Sevtech I got to the nether, but the biome I spawned at is entirely soulsand. Is there some way to speed up walking on soulsand or am I gonna have to slimesling around?
I guess I could make an impulsion wand...

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Okay so in Sevtech I got to the nether, but the biome I spawned at is entirely soulsand. Is there some way to speed up walking on soulsand or am I gonna have to slimesling around?
I guess I could make an impulsion wand...

use the slimesling in the nether, don't be a wimp :sun: