Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Devor posted:

Different people find different tasks to be 'bullshit' - I really dislike multiblocks that aren't easy to assemble, and I skip using those mods if at all possible. And weird Multiblocks with lots of different specific pieces required are one of the more egregious pieces of bullshit if you don't like them because it's not something you can just JEI cheat in if it's not your cup of tea to fiddle around with figuring out the configuration.

I don't mind checks like "spend some diamonds on this machine" or "do you have an alloy" or "make lots of graphite and iron to build a Reactor"

But after doing the new EnderIO clippings bullshit I added it to my list of "bullshit I won't do" and just cheat them in once I'm close to the right point resource-wise.

Yeah, to expand on this, my big bullshit problem is inventory management. I don't know why so many folks playing modded MC are cool with just like a fuckpile of chests around their base, because every mod adds a billion items, but it drives me up a goddamn wall.

I'm playing FTB:Interactions right now, and it struck me that 'oh, hey, I need a bunch more of all this stuff...and I already have 9 double chests in my main storage room absolutely full, and about another 5 or 6 around my base.' I'm not even hoarding random poo poo, this is just like 'stuff I've collected while getting to LV'. I haven't even gotten started on the gregtech microcrafting yet.

I don't mind fiddling around with multiblocks, but boy howdy am I completely uninterested in the 'oh you'll get AE2 much later' problem. I'm either going to straight up cheat a pile of obsidian chests (which are hilariously expensive and lategame in here and represent a reasonable amount of storage), or just build myself a tiny AE2 system as a placeholder.

And all that, and this is EZMode Gregtech. I think it might be adult ADD or something rearing it's ugly head but I just lose all focus when I have to dig through a million chests to find things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
There's the Material Energy series, which is something different.

But yeah, 'I need a quest-based pack' 'Tried [all of the most well-loved quest based packs], not interested.' is super unhelpful.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I tell ya whut, I finally got AE2 set up on my Regrowth playthrough and it's really nice. Though, honestly, I should have set up a corporea request-item-in-chat-and-receive-it thinger and stuck those sparks on all my chests a long time ago. I didn't think of that. Oh well.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Okay so in Sevtech I got to the nether, but the biome I spawned at is entirely soulsand. Is there some way to speed up walking on soulsand or am I gonna have to slimesling around?
I guess I could make an impulsion wand...

There is a phantom something from blood magic that lets you walk on air i think. I just used my ore excavation tool to remove soul sand.

Spiders in the nether are BS though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Johnny Joestar posted:

blightfall is kind of the epitome of a questpack done right so i really dunno what to suggest or say

I'd personally edit this to say it's the epitome of how to start a modpack. The first half of it is amazing but oh boy the second half is so boring with trying to clean up the world.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, to expand on this, my big bullshit problem is inventory management. I don't know why so many folks playing modded MC are cool with just like a fuckpile of chests around their base, because every mod adds a billion items, but it drives me up a goddamn wall.

I'm playing FTB:Interactions right now, and it struck me that 'oh, hey, I need a bunch more of all this stuff...and I already have 9 double chests in my main storage room absolutely full, and about another 5 or 6 around my base.' I'm not even hoarding random poo poo, this is just like 'stuff I've collected while getting to LV'. I haven't even gotten started on the gregtech microcrafting yet.

I don't mind fiddling around with multiblocks, but boy howdy am I completely uninterested in the 'oh you'll get AE2 much later' problem. I'm either going to straight up cheat a pile of obsidian chests (which are hilariously expensive and lategame in here and represent a reasonable amount of storage), or just build myself a tiny AE2 system as a placeholder.

And all that, and this is EZMode Gregtech. I think it might be adult ADD or something rearing it's ugly head but I just lose all focus when I have to dig through a million chests to find things.

I like storage drawers for small amounts of lots of random items. Makes em easier to find, too.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rynoto posted:

I'd personally edit this to say it's the epitome of how to start a modpack. The first half of it is amazing but oh boy the second half is so boring with trying to clean up the world.

Yeah I don't know why but pack makers seem to feel the best way to 'end' a story/progression/etc pack is to just give the player a single task that will take forever. Cleansing the world, Avaritia, collection challenges, 'now do everything in Millenaire', etc.

I want to give my pack an exciting, climactic finale and then it is done. Unless you want to sit around tending to your farm and village and so on after the story is finished I guess.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Black Pants posted:

Yeah I don't know why but pack makers seem to feel the best way to 'end' a story/progression/etc pack is to just give the player a single task that will take forever. Cleansing the world, Avaritia, collection challenges, 'now do everything in Millenaire', etc.

I want to give my pack an exciting, climactic finale and then it is done. Unless you want to sit around tending to your farm and village and so on after the story is finished I guess.

The only pack with a good ending, imo, was Exoria.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Putting together a decent ending in Minecraft more complicated than "defeat a boss" would probably require its own mod, and I doubt that'd be easily customizable.

Even then it requires people to actually write a good ending, and most Minecraft devs can't even write documentation for their own mods.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
It could be done like this.

1) Have a separate dimension that clones the state of the overworld, created when the player wants to trigger the ending.
2) Transport the player to that dimension and destroy everything they've built in front of them. Pretty sure that's the easiest way to make them hate the bad guy/become invested in what's going on.
3) Give them something huge to fight, or some limited resource challenge, or whatever you want the ending to be.
4) Roll credits when they're done
5) Transport the player back to the real overworld, and delete the cloned one, if they want to do any postgame stuff.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Currently I've got a fight through a floating AI fortress filled with cyborgs to defeat a boss and disable the AI core planned for my ending. I don't really want to make it dickishly hard or anything, and the player will have pretty good gear by then, but it will be an ending that I'm going to try to make decisive and interesting. The fortress will be visible early but protected by Minecraft barrier blocks so the player will need to build up to being able to teleport inside.

Granted that is ridiculously ambitious, but hey, why not dream big.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

finally... minecraft combat...

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

finally... minecraft combat...

I mean, at that point you're gonna have Thaumcraft focuses and Botania/AS/Blood Magic stuff and hell Matter Overdrive rifles if you want. It's not going to be fighting Lycanites Mobs or Animalia dogs with a stone sword. :P

The goal is to make it exciting and actiony, not frustrating.

Edit: Well I think going Doomguy on an enemy that's been an ever-present threat in a tech-fortress is a cool finale to a story. :colbert:

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 20, 2019

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Black Pants posted:

I mean, at that point you're gonna have Thaumcraft focuses and Botania/AS/Blood Magic stuff and hell Matter Overdrive rifles if you want. It's not going to be fighting Lycanites Mobs or Animalia dogs with a stone sword. :P

The goal is to make it exciting and actiony, not frustrating.

Edit: Well I think going Doomguy on an enemy that's been an ever-present threat in a tech-fortress is a cool finale to a story. :colbert:

Just go for it, people complain way more than they actually feel about minecraft combat; hell, people remember Blightfall positively and that game literally coated the map in hostile enemies including swarms of flying, uh, swarms that had terrible hitboxing. Minecraft combat isn't great, but it's not that terrible and getting to go wild with all your ridiculous tools at the end sounds like a good finale to me.

i mean, minecraft combat is still better than literally any elder scrolls' combat engine so

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Has anyone recently had any issues with stuttering/lagging in minecraft, be it vanilla or modded? I expect some chugging in 1.7.10 pack because there's so many mods (and it usually resolves after a few minutes when I assume everything has cached), but I'm even having this issue with bog standard 1.13.2 vanilla. Whenever I move my mouse, pretty much, the game starts hitching big time.

Of course, I can run Division 2 at a silky smooth 60fps without breaking a sweat, but a Java game has issues.

I've got an i5 9600K, and it's nowhere near capping during play. Seems to happen with both local and MP.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

My favorite storage mod is Project E fite me :colbert:

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

JerikTelorian posted:

Has anyone recently had any issues with stuttering/lagging in minecraft, be it vanilla or modded?

I remember being told several times in the past that the anisotropic filtering option basically makes minecraft run terribly as a general state, (possibly only on specific cards?) but I also haven't touched it in a while so I don't know if that was mystery minecraft magic that wasn't actually related to anything, they fixed it, or if it just defaults to off now.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

if anyone gives you poo poo for cheating in a small AE storage system i'll fight them myself

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

JerikTelorian posted:

Has anyone recently had any issues with stuttering/lagging in minecraft, be it vanilla or modded? I expect some chugging in 1.7.10 pack because there's so many mods (and it usually resolves after a few minutes when I assume everything has cached), but I'm even having this issue with bog standard 1.13.2 vanilla. Whenever I move my mouse, pretty much, the game starts hitching big time.

Of course, I can run Division 2 at a silky smooth 60fps without breaking a sweat, but a Java game has issues.

I've got an i5 9600K, and it's nowhere near capping during play. Seems to happen with both local and MP.

Uh... do you have any java arguments for booting minecraft? Maybe you're giving it too much ram?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
What's the mod that highlights blocks when you shift-right click them, usually with an empty hand? It's incredibly annoying and appears to override other shift-right click things like removing rock crystals from Astral Sorcery's grindstone. Persists through dimensions too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sage Grimm posted:

What's the mod that highlights blocks when you shift-right click them, usually with an empty hand? It's incredibly annoying and appears to override other shift-right click things like removing rock crystals from Astral Sorcery's grindstone. Persists through dimensions too.

Is it a rainbow outline around the block? Are you wearing a Ring of Loki?

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

BlondRobin posted:

Just go for it, people complain way more than they actually feel about minecraft combat; hell, people remember Blightfall positively and that game literally coated the map in hostile enemies including swarms of flying, uh, swarms that had terrible hitboxing. Minecraft combat isn't great, but it's not that terrible and getting to go wild with all your ridiculous tools at the end sounds like a good finale to me.

i mean, minecraft combat is still better than literally any elder scrolls' combat engine so

Hell I'll go farther and say the real problem isn't the combat, it is just the mobs. Half of the added mobs in mods are lazy or bullshit. Usually when a pack has blood moons or that stupid add modifiers to mobs mod I'll just skip it. Or at least turn them off. How much fun can getting swarmed by invisible 1up flying fiery gatling skeletons actually be.

If it had a way of gradually introducing stronger mobs at later times it might be better.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Black Pants posted:

I feel like, at it's heart, people who make modpacks are way, way more interested in the "craft" part then the "Mine" part, and often to the game's detriment. It's why I'm so incredibly tired of skyblocks.

I think one of the reasons Sevtech was so popular was just because it actually encouraged you to do more then grind away at microcrafting...at least, for the first few ages.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Hell I'll go farther and say the real problem isn't the combat, it is just the mobs. Half of the added mobs in mods are lazy or bullshit. Usually when a pack has blood moons or that stupid add modifiers to mobs mod I'll just skip it. Or at least turn them off. How much fun can getting swarmed by invisible 1up flying fiery gatling skeletons actually be.

If it had a way of gradually introducing stronger mobs at later times it might be better.

Funny you say that. https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/mob-stages

ProfessorCirno posted:

I feel like, at it's heart, people who make modpacks are way, way more interested in the "craft" part then the "Mine" part, and often to the game's detriment. It's why I'm so incredibly tired of skyblocks.

I think one of the reasons Sevtech was so popular was just because it actually encouraged you to do more then grind away at microcrafting...at least, for the first few ages.

My pack's going to be doing a lot of farming and not a lot of mining (there's no ores in the world) but there will be a lot of running around exploring too. But it's supposed to be pretty chill and largely a guided romp through magic with a story rather than anything especially hardcore crafting-wise. It will still have a progression and cross-mod stuff and all though.

Edit: also my goal is to sit somewhere between Regrowth and Blightfall. No handcrafted continent, but a pre-generated wasteland world with structures and complexes and ruins of my own making. Environmental storytelling as well as a questbook story. I am not under any delusion that this will be anything other than a big-rear end pile of work.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 20, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ProfessorCirno posted:

There are a lot of skyblock packs because they're easy to make. Compare that to a modpack like :circlefap: Blightfall :circlefap: with a handcrafted (or at least heavily hand-modified) world; there's a reason why there basically haven't been any other packs like it, and it's because it's a lot of fuckin' work.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Light Gun Man posted:

I like storage drawers for small amounts of lots of random items. Makes em easier to find, too.

Uh, isn't this the opposite of what Storage Drawers is good for? (large amounts of a small number of items) Having a bunch of small numbers of items means you have to have a massive wall of 4x4 chests, each of which only holds less than a stack of something.

There's the antidrawer from another mod which holds unstackable items, but that's not exactly the issue either - it's having like 22 types of Ore, each of which has ingots, plates, rods, screws, etc. We're talking just for those, a minimum of like 30 storage drawers, which takes up a lot of physical space and prep. I definitely like SD, but it's strength is like...lots of a discrete number of things, like when I was sorting out essences or ingots from a skyblock setup.

Everyone's got their own little weirdsies in MC though, like the combat doesn't bother me nearly as much as most people.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

IMO the monsters in Minecraft are good for creating certain problems to solve. How do I stay safe at night/in the nether? How do I explore/mine safely? How do I get mob drops without putting myself in danger?

Actually fighting them is a pain in the rear end and I mostly avoid it, even more so since the combat update.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I mentioned it earlier, but in packs that have Botania early on and gate AE2 behind a wall of bullshit, don't forget about the Corporea Index. It's good at providing a way to query and fish items out of a bank of chests. Problem is, it needs the Alfheim portal as well as you having visited The End, so it's not exactly early game either. It also doesn't help you store the items in the first place; it just helps you retrieve them.

https://gfycat.com/yellowishbaggyiguana

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

journey to the core had an almost great ending.

Instead of dumping you back inthe first world it should have dumped you into the overworld.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Is it a rainbow outline around the block? Are you wearing a Ring of Loki?

Yep and yep. Looks like I need to condemn it to my AE storage forever. Good thing I don't need Thor so I can just focus on winning Odin and wearing it forever.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I mentioned it earlier, but in packs that have Botania early on and gate AE2 behind a wall of bullshit, don't forget about the Corporea Index. It's good at providing a way to query and fish items out of a bank of chests. Problem is, it needs the Alfheim portal as well as you having visited The End, so it's not exactly early game either. It also doesn't help you store the items in the first place; it just helps you retrieve them.

https://gfycat.com/yellowishbaggyiguana

I am totally pushing people towards making a corporea network if they choose to get that deep into Botania. Luminizers too. Though the plan currently is that players will need to touch each magic mod a little but only need to focus one of them to the end for progression to work. Doing all of them will be beneficial but I don't want to force everyone to get void stuff in Thaumcraft or beat the Gaia Guardian or whatever if that sucks the fun out for people.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

I am totally pushing people towards making a corporea network if they choose to get that deep into Botania. Luminizers too. Though the plan currently is that players will need to touch each magic mod a little but only need to focus one of them to the end for progression to work. Doing all of them will be beneficial but I don't want to force everyone to get void stuff in Thaumcraft or beat the Gaia Guardian or whatever if that sucks the fun out for people.

Just in game document how to do it please.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

There are a lot of skyblock packs because they're easy to make. Compare that to a modpack like :circlefap: Blightfall :circlefap: with a handcrafted (or at least heavily hand-modified) world; there's a reason why there basically haven't been any other packs like it, and it's because it's a lot of fuckin' work.
Well, even a good Skyblock pack needs a lot of work. Darksoto streamed all the development of Sevtech and Sky Factory 4, and he was doing at lot of in-the-code development work and configuration.

The thing is that most modpack devs don't want to bother with that level of effort. They just want to CraftTweaker things and call it a day.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BlondRobin posted:

Just go for it, people Minecraft combat isn't great, but it's not that terrible and getting to go wild with all your ridiculous tools at the end sounds like a good finale to me.

Actually this reminds me of a problem with Regrowth where you get that Railgun magic mod long after needing to fight anything or needing any help to defend yourself.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

You could reduce the cost of the corporea stuff, too, if you're doing the whole CraftTweaker thing. Or, at minimum, reduce the cost of sparks (both regular and the master spark) and the index if you just want cheap QOL without having to open a huge can of worms.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
For a different perspective than some, I really do hate Minecraft combat, and didn’t get far into Blightfall because of it. I like Minecraft as a chill thing where if I get distracted for a bit, it’s fine. Usually I play on peaceful. I’m fine with skyblocks, chilling out fishing while trees grow is my jam.

Relatedly, I’d like to recommend a mod: Apathetic Mobs, which makes all mobs passive/neutral. I have it set to make them fight back if attacked, and it occupies a nice space for me and works surprisingly well. It makes combat-oriented things not useless and mob drops accessible at close to their intended difficulty while preserving the ability to randomly afk without consequence. I’m really liking it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'd just like to take a moment here to praise Chisels and Bits. If anything, it's amazing just for the ability to make stairs out of any block I want.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Falcon2001 posted:

Uh, isn't this the opposite of what Storage Drawers is good for? (large amounts of a small number of items) Having a bunch of small numbers of items means you have to have a massive wall of 4x4 chests, each of which only holds less than a stack of something.

There's the antidrawer from another mod which holds unstackable items, but that's not exactly the issue either - it's having like 22 types of Ore, each of which has ingots, plates, rods, screws, etc. We're talking just for those, a minimum of like 30 storage drawers, which takes up a lot of physical space and prep. I definitely like SD, but it's strength is like...lots of a discrete number of things, like when I was sorting out essences or ingots from a skyblock setup.

Everyone's got their own little weirdsies in MC though, like the combat doesn't bother me nearly as much as most people.

Well I do like building walls of 4x4s, admittedly. Compacting drawers help with the ores, as they will store your iron as ingots, blocks, and nuggets all at once with access to whatever you need at a click. When I make a tinker smeltery I usually also make a wall of compacting drawers for all my metals, with a controller block in the middle so you can just drop off materials there. It's helpful for that. Gears and plates and stuff are another story though, yeah.

I think a wall of 4x4s is good for things like anything that comes in 8+ different colors. Flowers and petals and stuff like that. Upgraded ones can also be pretty good for mob farms, last time I played I had my farm drops going into those so like there was a Skeleton 4x4 with bones, skulls, arrows, and a mod drop. Had those for every mob i wanted to farm. That way I had all their relevant drops right in one box.

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
Not only that, even the 4x4s can hold a lot of stacks if you just stuff them with iron upgrades.

I also remember using the compacting drawers to automatically upgrade lootbags from my mob farm in Sky Factory 3, along with combing the ore bits into ore chunks from Ex Nihilo, so they can also help you with some intermediary automation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

McFrugal posted:

I'd just like to take a moment here to praise Chisels and Bits. If anything, it's amazing just for the ability to make stairs out of any block I want.

I really love and hate chisels and bits. On one hand its amazing on the other hand I spend hours on some stairs and its not even done :shepicide: