Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Taking a few friends through Blightfall can be fun. Don't know that it is the absolute first thing I'd jump in to MineCraft with as it might be a bit overwhelming but it's definitely a fun experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

bird food bathtub posted:

Taking a few friends through Blightfall can be fun. Don't know that it is the absolute first thing I'd jump in to MineCraft with as it might be a bit overwhelming but it's definitely a fun experience.

Yeah, Blightfall is definitely more of an intermediate-level modpack. It's a great experience for sure, but not something to jump into right away.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Blightfall is very tricky to jump into because it is not a good first time introduction to Thaumcraft, but then, I don't know what is.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if nothing else it assumes someone has had at least SOME experience with modding. not sure how much, and the systems it wants players to get into aren't super complicated really, but someone who is fresh off the boat in terms of messing with mods at all might be overwhelmed.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
FWIW I totally played Blightfall as my first introduction to 1.7 mods, but I had played Minecraft and Minecraft mods before on some level even if a fairly limited one. Also, I play roguelikes and other failure-positive games so the difficulty didn’t put me off, and Blightfall proved to be exactly what I want to see out of Minecraft modding, so I wouldn’t call it a universally applicable experience. Still, it can be done; most of the core mods in BF are big name, big ticket mods that finding guides for isn’t impossible and the game naturally expects guides you to, if not through, the mods as it unlocks things. You don’t have to hit the ground running on every single mod by any means.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Blightfall is very tricky to jump into because it is not a good first time introduction to Thaumcraft, but then, I don't know what is.

I thought Blightfall was a great intro to thaumcraft

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I know there was some modpack where you loaded up a premade map and you just went to classrooms learning magic stuff. Did stuff like have items for you to set and instructions?

Forgetting the name of it, but it seemed like an ok intro to Thaumcraft from the little I saw.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
with the twitch launcher whats the best way to share a thing you've made across LAN? I'm running ATM3, but with a few mods and stuff added and I'd just like to play with the fam, is there an option in there to share the pack privately somewhere or should I just be copying the minecraft folder over the network?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Doorknob Slobber posted:

with the twitch launcher whats the best way to share a thing you've made across LAN? I'm running ATM3, but with a few mods and stuff added and I'd just like to play with the fam, is there an option in there to share the pack privately somewhere or should I just be copying the minecraft folder over the network?

Yeah, I think so. I've never done it myself, but I think all you have to do is open your pack's details menu in the program, click the gear in the top right, and use "Export Profile."

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Blightfall, like terrafirmacraft is something I miss but can't stand to go back to because the new combat beats the socks off old combat.

Its got a rythm that was missing since the days of the apple sword dance back before hunger.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Wonder what straight PvP like KeepCraft would be like with some newer stuff like the combat over haul and tinker's construct tools.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Wonder what straight PvP like KeepCraft would be like with some newer stuff like the combat over haul and tinker's construct tools.

I have wanted this pretty much since mods started showing up.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'm bumbling through SevTech and I've reached the Blood Magic stage, which I have very little experience with. Is there a way to repair a broken Sentient Sword? Also is there a better way to gather Will than killing things with a Sentient Sword?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Never found a way to repair sentient swords, and it was the best way to get will that I found. That being said I dropped sentient swords like a bad habit once I got to Astral Sorcery imbued crystal swords. 14 attack at 2 attack speed I think? Plus a huge AoE that wrecks poo poo every few swings.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Never found a way to repair sentient swords, and it was the best way to get will that I found. That being said I dropped sentient swords like a bad habit once I got to Astral Sorcery imbued crystal swords. 14 attack at 2 attack speed I think? Plus a huge AoE that wrecks poo poo every few swings.

I'm weirdly obsessive and couldn't handle how fast those degraded and had to be resharpened and regrown and all that.

...So instead I used Astral Sorcery to give my sentient sword Sharpness, Power, Mending, and Looting all in one.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Cicadalek posted:

I'm bumbling through SevTech and I've reached the Blood Magic stage, which I have very little experience with. Is there a way to repair a broken Sentient Sword? Also is there a better way to gather Will than killing things with a Sentient Sword?

Mending will repair them, and later you get other sentient tools although a sharpness 3+ and mending sentient sword is enough to get you up to the crystal growing stage where will becomes infinite.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

Bound blade. you need a few tiers on the altar to make the ritual stone. That uses blood from your network. (Shift click to open the sword and deactivate it)

Make a regen ritual from AS when self sacrificing for blood to make the runes

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

The Twitch Launcher is horrible. The mods tab on it has just stopped loading up entirely. Are there any alternatives able to get the same mod packs?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

xanthan posted:

The Twitch Launcher is horrible. The mods tab on it has just stopped loading up entirely. Are there any alternatives able to get the same mod packs?

Use Vazkii's Curse Modpack Downloader (CMPDL) to acquire the packs, and drop them into your MultiMC instances folder. You'll have to install Forge yourself; CMPDL will tell you what version to use and MultiMC has a GUI for it to make it fairly easy.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

xanthan posted:

Gwyn has the details for a workaround, but you can also just close and reopen twitch to fix that.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Why not just download the .zip from curseforge and import it with MMC?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Happy Hedonist posted:

Why not just download the .zip from curseforge and import it with MMC?

Easier to update? Did follow Gwen's advice though and it's working great. :)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
MultiMC is great because every other launcher can just change or take down packs over time and then you're poo poo outta luck. None of them I know will even boot up if you're offline so if your internet goes out you can't even play 'em. With MMC you can keep them preserved indefinitely.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
In Exoria the restrictions mod is really getting on our nerves, we built a huge compound to move to from our current ash shack and found out none of the machines will place because apparently it's too big and doesn't register as enclosed.
We've already met all the requirements to unlock all the restrictions listed in the config so we figured it wouldn't be too game changing to remove the mod. When my friend pulled it out it broke the pack so he put it back in and tried a few times to edit the config to remove the restrictions on certain machines or all entries and nothing seemed to work.
He did a reverse rule in the config and it still says it's restricted in game but lets you use the machines. Is there any way to just purge that mod without breaking the game?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Depends posted:

In Exoria the restrictions mod is really getting on our nerves, we built a huge compound to move to from our current ash shack and found out none of the machines will place because apparently it's too big and doesn't register as enclosed.
We've already met all the requirements to unlock all the restrictions listed in the config so we figured it wouldn't be too game changing to remove the mod. When my friend pulled it out it broke the pack so he put it back in and tried a few times to edit the config to remove the restrictions on certain machines or all entries and nothing seemed to work.
He did a reverse rule in the config and it still says it's restricted in game but lets you use the machines. Is there any way to just purge that mod without breaking the game?

Do you not have any doors between rooms in your compound? Restrictions only break if the room is really really big. Doors seal rooms, so just put those down. If you've got ladders you have to seal them with trap doors. The best way to use staircases would be to have them walled off with doors to get in or out. I can't think of any other room-related issues offhand but really, just put your machines in real rooms and they'll be fine. Do keep in mind they CAN share rooms if all the required blocks are present.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

McFrugal posted:

Do you not have any doors between rooms in your compound? Restrictions only break if the room is really really big. Doors seal rooms, so just put those down. If you've got ladders you have to seal them with trap doors. The best way to use staircases would be to have them walled off with doors to get in or out. I can't think of any other room-related issues offhand but really, just put your machines in real rooms and they'll be fine. Do keep in mind they CAN share rooms if all the required blocks are present.

No real walls/rooms, just large sections scooped out with a builder around a hole down the center. Going to try to section up the center hole at each elevator location vertically with clear glass to keep that cozy big pit look.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
playing exoria and i brought up this weird bootleg NEI crafting window by accident

how do i get rid of it

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
That's the vanilla recipe book. It's part of Minecraft, now.
Just click the book icon.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That's a joke, right? That's been in vanilla since 1.12!

(so, I mean unless you've never played vanilla in past two years or any other 1.12 mod pack-- )

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm pretty sure lots of 1.12 modpacks just turn that poo poo off somehow because it sucks, i've only seen it in a few

EDIT: also who would ever play vanilla

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Potsticker posted:

That's a joke, right? That's been in vanilla since 1.12!

(so, I mean unless you've never played vanilla in past two years or any other 1.12 mod pack-- )

i think the last time i played vanilla, notch was still running mojang

e: if google is to be believed, he left the company 5 years ago, which sounds about right

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 13, 2019

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Patware posted:

i'm pretty sure lots of 1.12 modpacks just turn that poo poo off somehow because it sucks, i've only seen it in a few

Actually just loaded up vanilla to play the 10th anniversary map, it's pretty neat! But it's also the first time I've touched vanilla in like five years.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Patware posted:

I sometimes boot up minecraft just in straight vanilla. In VR, even vanilla is amazing poo poo.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I play Vanilla sometimes to see what a tolerable framerate and reasonable bootup time looks like.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Huh, my apologies, then. I think vanilla can still be a fantastic experience, especially on servers with small communities. Modded servers either tend to be really cuthroat or have rules about how close youcan build near other people, so in both cases it can feel really isolating.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Whats the newest hot poo poo expert progression pack, I'm seeing people talk about something called FTB Impressions and I'd love a report on that poo poo

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Elswyyr posted:

Whats the newest hot poo poo expert progression pack, I'm seeing people talk about something called FTB Impressions and I'd love a report on that poo poo

I think you're talking about FTB Interactions? I'm screwing around with it right now. It's a (mostly) non-skyblock pack that uses GregTech as its core tech mod. You have to progress simultaneously in magic mods (Thaumcraft, Botania, Astral Sorcery, and some others) and GregTech to proceed. You start out in a completely safe void world, but each dimension you visit (standard Overworld, Nether, other planets via Advanced Rocketry, etc) becomes more and more difficult. Monsters also get more difficult the more progression you complete. For example, once you acquire alchemical brass for the first time, the pack starts spawning tougher monsters, including one that can grief cobblestone-tier-hardness blocks. I dunno if you'd call it "hot poo poo," but it's certainly a very involved progression pack.

As far as other progression packs, there's SkyFactory 4, which is a skyblock, though it has options to spawn you in an overworld with no ores or a superflat and even a challenge mode where you have to live inside a compact machine. Its gimmick is an optional prestige mechanic that requires you to roll back time and even occasionally restart worlds for perqs unlocked via prestige points. There's also Project Ozone 3, another skyblock with no particular gimmicks that I can remember.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If PO3 is anything like PO2 eventually there will be an expert and super-expert version released.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So, dumb question time. What exactly is a skyblock mod? What ever it is I don't think I've ever played one so the phrase is somewhat confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

So, dumb question time. What exactly is a skyblock mod? What ever it is I don't think I've ever played one so the phrase is somewhat confusing.

(stolen from GIS, some nerd's video title card)

It's a style of modpack that starts you in an infinite void, typically with a small platform (or just one dirt block) and a single tree. From that, you have to build all the various things that are included with the mods in the pack. Rather than mining, you generate resources with a Rube Goldberg machine of some sort, which usually (at least in the early game) requires a lot of rote, manual labor.