Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

For putting the steam in, yeah. For getting it out, no. You'll need some other type of pipe for that, or alternatively, you'll need to slap a seared/porcelain faucet on and use a redstone clock or something goofy like that to extract steam. I'm using enderio fluid conduits (the second tier kind since they have more throughput.) I think you get some as a quest reward for something or other, if you can't grunt em out yourself yet.

looks like i can get that working once i have an alloy smelter firing so i'm not far off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Patware posted:

looks like i can get that working once i have an alloy smelter firing so i'm not far off

If you don't want to screw with pipes while you're building up your first machines, just slap the alloy smelter or whatever directly touching the boiler. The boiler will push steam into it on its own.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Right click it onto a fluid trash can.

I don't think I've ever made one of those, that would explain why that never occurred to me.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Martian Manfucker posted:

watching the yogscast's modpack series has got me with an itch I want to scratch.

what modpack would you guys recommend for someone who has fiddled with mods before (thermal dynamics and tinkers mostly), but has never tried a full mod experience? hopefully something with some kind of quest/achievement progression so I don't get lost.

If you want to stay in the 'current' 1.12 then Exoria wouldn't be too bad if you keep the wiki(s) open and want the full progression experience. It's decently hand-holdy and doesn't have quite the same insanity that is the far more in-depth Sevtech.

For something that's more build-y instead of quest-y/exploration then Enigmatica 2 (non-expert) has a questbook that will pretty well walk you through the progressions of various mods.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 20, 2019

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Does your pack have Integrated Dynamics? You can measure nearly any property of a machine, inventory, or fluid tank with it.

Unfortunately, no. Otherwise that would have been a perfect way to do it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Wow. In FTB Interactions, if you're carrying a bucket, reservoir, or portable tank with a lighter-than-air gas, you get a levitation effect. :jerkbag:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Priapus Unbound posted:

I'm about to have a lot of time on my hands (teacher, summer is coming) and I like making maps in worldpainter. Would any of the people putting together their own modpacks like a custom map? I've been kicking around my own ideas for a story based pack in an underground map, but helping out others is cool.

Some samples, all of which are fairly old:

The above screens have some errors, like a need for additional fine tuning of biomes in the canyonlands to make cliff bushes drier and modification of underground stone distributions in the lava road cave to avoid the patchy look, but I think they demonstrate that I'm comfortable using WP for a variety of purposes.

i wish world gen was this cool

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Wow. In FTB Interactions, if you're carrying a bucket, reservoir, or portable tank with a lighter-than-air gas, you get a levitation effect. :jerkbag:

RIP Grandpa Joe and Charlie

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Seared Tanks don't seem to confer liquid effects

At least I'm pretty sure i picked one up with lava in it without mitts and was just fine. granted then you're talking really low amounts of the fluid

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Patware posted:

Seared Tanks don't seem to confer liquid effects

At least I'm pretty sure i picked one up with lava in it without mitts and was just fine. granted then you're talking really low amounts of the fluid

Yeah, you can cheese it with certain types of fluid containers. Stone Drums from XU2 also fail to confer the effect, and I think GT cells as well. Buckets, reservoirs, and portable tanks do it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Does that mean TE is to blame?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm really glad there's loopholes because gently caress the mitts

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Does that mean TE is to blame?

They are, but probably for being too competent. Like, their implementation actually does it properly and everyone else's doesn't, or something. Either that or the mod dev for the mitts thing specifically cased the thermex poo poo.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Priapus Unbound posted:

I'm about to have a lot of time on my hands (teacher, summer is coming) and I like making maps in worldpainter. Would any of the people putting together their own modpacks like a custom map? I've been kicking around my own ideas for a story based pack in an underground map, but helping out others is cool.

If I thought I had time for it, I would have PM'd you about setting up demo spaces in a 1.12 BFSR tutorial dimension, but it looks like terrain is your thing. I am now blowing free time on coding interview bullshit so I am still not playing with quest book stuff.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A custom map was one of the things that made Blightfall a fantastic experience. Little stories told here and there of the old civilization were really enjoyable to find, and having things set up in the world to help out the questing instead of the necessarily generic approach of generated maps helped the progression.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

A custom map was one of the things that made Blightfall a fantastic experience. Little stories told here and there of the old civilization were really enjoyable to find, and having things set up in the world to help out the questing instead of the necessarily generic approach of generated maps helped the progression.

That's something I'm really interested in taking a stab at. I'm also thinking of using soulstones from customnpcs as quest rewards, so the player can set down villagers as they progress and build up a base. Setting the npc's path to looping means that even a player in survival can move them around using a pather tool from cnpcs, which would be kind of neat. One of the things I don't like about minecraft minepacks is how 'lonely' they feel, and I really liked how Blightfall's quest system made you feel like part of a larger organization.

Priapus Unbound fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 21, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i would love to see a mod with more of a whole 'villagers/settlers as people who do things for you' thrust that isn't minecolonies, which just requires so much space

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Patware posted:

i would love to see a mod with more of a whole 'villagers/settlers as people who do things for you' thrust that isn't minecolonies, which just requires so much space

Farming Valley?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that's like a whole overhaul though, i mean something that could get slotted into other packs. more like you're hiring people, or building a little settlement that's to your design as opposed to being stuck with minecolonies and their houses that people get stuck in trying to leave at the same time

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Patware posted:

that's like a whole overhaul though, i mean something that could get slotted into other packs. more like you're hiring people, or building a little settlement that's to your design as opposed to being stuck with minecolonies and their houses that people get stuck in trying to leave at the same time

Minecraft Comes Alive is an option, but note that it hasn't been updated since 2017 and the dev won't release bugfixes until Forge for 1.13 (or 1.14) drops.

Other options, listed in no particular order, are Millenaire, Ancient Warfare, and Improved Villagers.

E: Or play vanilla 1.14 which apparently implements villager jobs and poo poo.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Finally, an end to vanilla chest spam hell.

Totally worth beelining to an HV hull for.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Started on Blightfall again, need to go find a diamond for my blood orb and do some mining in various areas for copper and aluminum? Maybe gold? So I can do more tinkers stuff.

Packs like this would take so long to make but it is so good.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

xanthan posted:

Started on Blightfall again, need to go find a diamond for my blood orb and do some mining in various areas for copper and aluminum? Maybe gold? So I can do more tinkers stuff.

Packs like this would take so long to make but it is so good.

IIRC there's a little bit of aluminum directly underneath the swamp warp point. It's in the cave formed by a lava lake, not too far down.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

FTB:I time again:

the GTCE coke oven is baffling me and JEI only has recipes for getting creosote out of the improved coke oven. i looked around and saw that it needs a fire so i tried opening it up, putting a fire in the center block, closing it, nothin doin

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Heyo. Wanted to get into minecraft again after randomly stumbling onto a mod showcase where they turned everything ultra-pretty. Except there seems to be some sort of incompatability going between Optifine and Forge right now, and the OP of this thread is a bit out of date? How do you actually mod minecraft properly these days?

At base, I'd want the realistic shaders, textures, trees, foliage and the nocubes mod to all work together, but being able to add thaumcraft and extra furniture and stuff would be swell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ8DVRjsQFM

^ Striving for something like this.

Any tips on A; how to get it working? and B; What texture/shader mod to grab for best result?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Patware posted:

FTB:I time again:

the GTCE coke oven is baffling me and JEI only has recipes for getting creosote out of the improved coke oven. i looked around and saw that it needs a fire so i tried opening it up, putting a fire in the center block, closing it, nothin doin

There's a coke oven hatch block. The quest book should have instructed you to make it. Slap that sucker in the center of one of the faces of the multiblock that isn't in use by the controller block. Use that to evacuate the creosote.

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Heyo. Wanted to get into minecraft again after randomly stumbling onto a mod showcase where they turned everything ultra-pretty. Except there seems to be some sort of incompatability going between Optifine and Forge right now, and the OP of this thread is a bit out of date? How do you actually mod minecraft properly these days?

At base, I'd want the realistic shaders, textures, trees, foliage and the nocubes mod to all work together, but being able to add thaumcraft and extra furniture and stuff would be swell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ8DVRjsQFM

^ Striving for something like this.

Any tips on A; how to get it working? and B; What texture/shader mod to grab for best result?

I don't know the first thing about shaders, but what version of Minecraft are you attempting to run? It may be too new for Optifine to work properly.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I don't know the first thing about shaders, but what version of Minecraft are you attempting to run? It may be too new for Optifine to work properly.

The only versions of forge and optifine that seems to be compatible are 1.2.1, but that runs into issues of other mods not being compatible with that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The only versions of forge and optifine that seems to be compatible are 1.2.1, but that runs into issues of other mods not being compatible with that.

I meant what version of Minecraft.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If anyone wants a long-haul modpack but finds FTB:Interactions too loaded or grindy, I might recommend this pack that's been in the works for a while now and finally released version 1.0, called Omnifactory.
It's describing itself as "gregtech without the grind" and while that's not entirely true (there's definitely still some grind), the plentiful ore and various tweaks make it easy to get started and focus more on mid/lategame than the struggling first steps. In fact, it bypasses ULV and steam power entirely (with the exception that your first power-producer is a TE Steam Dynamo) and goes straight to LV. It also has a lot of really easily accessible quality of life upgrades very early, like gliders, scanners, and the best grappling hook mod I've ever seen (Hooked).
No souped up enemy mobs or wall-breaking, base-destroying Mutant Steves. It touts you can even play the game just fine on peaceful if you choose to. It's also got Deep Mob Learning, a bunch of Actually Additions and TE integration, and the late game uses a pretty novel transdimensional micro-spaceship system?

The pack also offers a skyblock void dimension you can optionally build your base in if you really love skyblocks. The pseudoalchemical skyblock resource-generation system the game introduces reminds me of Sky Resources only with way less fiddling, and it allows and even encourages to use it in the non-void dimension too, so you can shore up resources, generate "free" diamonds, even alchemize some early ores to help get your production started.
My favorite part of all is that it's set in a Lost Cities worldgen which makes for some really different play.

A little advice starting if anyone decides to try it:
  • DO NOT CHOOSE SKYBLOCK for your first quest, even if you want to play it that way. You'll miss out on about 20 diamonds worth of gear, and the very next quest will give you a way to get there anyway.
  • You'll probably want to re-enable TE Reservoirs for dealing with all the gregtech fluids/gases you'll invariably have to deal with. Open config\cofh\thermalexpansion\common.cfg , search 'reservoir', and change B:Enable to true.
  • There's a quest that specifically tells you this, but the coin shop is just for common/semi-rare resources. There's no 'trap' and nothing to save up for. Spend freely.
  • Grab the block scanner upgrade from scannables that lets you scan for a specific block. This is a great way of seeking out specific ores. You can even buy some from the coin shop, then use them to configure your scanner and find a whole vein! A range upgrade should probably be a priority, too.
  • Use map markers extensively, mark every major vein you find and you'll always have resources at the ready.
  • Diamonds are easy to make and prove real useful for things like mining hammers.
  • Some vanilla ore gen is still in, which can help you shore up gold, diamonds, redstone, etc. virtually anywhere.
  • Any ore you haven't found in surplus (or have bought from the coin shop) might be worth doubling, e.g. by using a Gregtech hammer to mine it from the world. Most common ores, though, you don't need to worry about doubling early on.
  • Anyone who's played Gregtech surely knows this already, but get a Wiremill and then a Compressor as your first machines to save the most resources.
  • RF energy storage of any kind can be used before a CEFU to store energy more easily than in gregtech battery boxes.
  • The grappling hook is fantastic, seriously. Get it ASAP. Being able to mine at full speed from the wall, ceiling, or mid-air is incredible.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I meant what version of Minecraft.

Oh. Uh. Well I have it on both the microsoft windows store and as the minecraft launcher /w java? Using the update version that forge/optifine requires? So 1.12.1?? But the launcher can download a bunch of variants.

This is pretty confusing tbh.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Oh. Uh. Well I have it on both the microsoft windows store and as the minecraft launcher /w java? Using the update version that forge/optifine requires? So 1.12.1?? But the launcher can download a bunch of variants.

This is pretty confusing tbh.

1.12.2 is the current most popular modding base and I've had no problems running the latest version of optifine with forge.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I've had no issue adding optifine and shaders to whatever modpack. In the multimc instance folder, I just drop the relevant version of optifine in the mods folder, add the shaders to the relevant folder (can't remember what it's named), then wait 10m while minecraft freezes when I change the shader settings. Bear in mind 1.10 and 1.12 have a bug whereby whenever you change shaders or resource packs the destroy block animation will be all hosed up until you quit and reload.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

this looks pretty fuckin' great

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

There's a coke oven hatch block. The quest book should have instructed you to make it. Slap that sucker in the center of one of the faces of the multiblock that isn't in use by the controller block. Use that to evacuate the creosote.

Had it in the wrong place. 'Centered on coke oven side' read to me as 'put this on the same side as the control'

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

If anyone wants a long-haul modpack but finds FTB:Interactions too loaded or grindy, I might recommend this pack that's been in the works for a while now and finally released version 1.0, called Omnifactory.
It's describing itself as "gregtech without the grind" and while that's not entirely true (there's definitely still some grind), the plentiful ore and various tweaks make it easy to get started and focus more on mid/lategame than the struggling first steps. In fact, it bypasses ULV and steam power entirely (with the exception that your first power-producer is a TE Steam Dynamo) and goes straight to LV. It also has a lot of really easily accessible quality of life upgrades very early, like gliders, scanners, and the best grappling hook mod I've ever seen (Hooked).
No souped up enemy mobs or wall-breaking, base-destroying Mutant Steves. It touts you can even play the game just fine on peaceful if you choose to. It's also got Deep Mob Learning, a bunch of Actually Additions and TE integration, and the late game uses a pretty novel transdimensional micro-spaceship system?

The pack also offers a skyblock void dimension you can optionally build your base in if you really love skyblocks. The pseudoalchemical skyblock resource-generation system the game introduces reminds me of Sky Resources only with way less fiddling, and it allows and even encourages to use it in the non-void dimension too, so you can shore up resources, generate "free" diamonds, even alchemize some early ores to help get your production started.
My favorite part of all is that it's set in a Lost Cities worldgen which makes for some really different play.

A little advice starting if anyone decides to try it:
  • DO NOT CHOOSE SKYBLOCK for your first quest, even if you want to play it that way. You'll miss out on about 20 diamonds worth of gear, and the very next quest will give you a way to get there anyway.
  • You'll probably want to re-enable TE Reservoirs for dealing with all the gregtech fluids/gases you'll invariably have to deal with. Open config\cofh\thermalexpansion\common.cfg , search 'reservoir', and change B:Enable to true.
  • There's a quest that specifically tells you this, but the coin shop is just for common/semi-rare resources. There's no 'trap' and nothing to save up for. Spend freely.
  • Grab the block scanner upgrade from scannables that lets you scan for a specific block. This is a great way of seeking out specific ores. You can even buy some from the coin shop, then use them to configure your scanner and find a whole vein! A range upgrade should probably be a priority, too.
  • Use map markers extensively, mark every major vein you find and you'll always have resources at the ready.
  • Diamonds are easy to make and prove real useful for things like mining hammers.
  • Some vanilla ore gen is still in, which can help you shore up gold, diamonds, redstone, etc. virtually anywhere.
  • Any ore you haven't found in surplus (or have bought from the coin shop) might be worth doubling, e.g. by using a Gregtech hammer to mine it from the world. Most common ores, though, you don't need to worry about doubling early on.
  • Anyone who's played Gregtech surely knows this already, but get a Wiremill and then a Compressor as your first machines to save the most resources.
  • RF energy storage of any kind can be used before a CEFU to store energy more easily than in gregtech battery boxes.
  • The grappling hook is fantastic, seriously. Get it ASAP. Being able to mine at full speed from the wall, ceiling, or mid-air is incredible.

Yeah I started on this, then went to FTB:I...and I'm pretty sure FTB:I has shown me what a fool I am. Going to go back to Omnifactory next.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

If you're struggling with forge and mod version poo poo I'd recommend you try out the twitch launcher to handle that stuff since it's pretty trivial to mess with forge versions with that

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I set up a custom Ex Nihilo hammer recipe (iron ore to iron gravel ore from Simple Gravel Ores) and while it shows up in JEI and works in a clean-ish test environment (mostly QoL mods) it’s not working in my main mod pack. Still shows up in JEI but when I break the iron ore, nothing. Also takes longer to break than in the test environment, but not like obsidian or anything, and better hammers def worked faster.

Here’s the mod list.

The obvious culprit should be No Tree Punching, but I disabled the block harvest adjustments and then the whole mod and it still didn’t work. Also BWM’s hardcore module is turned off. Also also I haven’t made any adjustments yet with Block Drops Tweaker or Tool Progression. I’ll do some further testing tonight but maybe someone knows something that can save me the trouble.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I just realized that storage drawers packing tape isn't just for rearranging a storage system. It's also handy for long distance transport of massive quantities of a single item. I've gotten back into GTNH and I could take a single drawer over to a mountain, fill the drawer with 64 stacks of stained clay, tape it up and bring it back to my base, instead of filling countless backpacks with clay. Or sand, or whatever.

For those of you who may ask: why clay? Because stained clay pulverizes to clay dust, which in turn can be electrolyzed for sodium (batteries), lithium (more, better batteries), aluminium, silicon, and water.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 24, 2019

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
After getting into the Parabox thing with Sky Factory 4, I have to say it is the dumbest implementation of an idea ever. The power you've already dropped into the box doesn't disappear when you deactivate it or fail a target, you just lose the accumulated prestige points. So all you have to do is prep it to just below the first target, flick it on with a trickle of power to bump it over, collect the items you want to dupe into your inventory, and wait 10 minutes to close the loop. Once closed, the world is reset so the parabox is already prepped for another round of duping. The mod that's intended to bar your way into quality of life mods is the same mod that launches you past that point!

I can do this as soon as I
a. break into the very early stages of Mekanism (osmium and steel)
b. get to the Lost Cities for Tritanium and early stages of Matter Overdrive
c. Get ~7 ender pearls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Sage Grimm posted:

After getting into the Parabox thing with Sky Factory 4, I have to say it is the dumbest implementation of an idea ever. The power you've already dropped into the box doesn't disappear when you deactivate it or fail a target, you just lose the accumulated prestige points. So all you have to do is prep it to just below the first target, flick it on with a trickle of power to bump it over, collect the items you want to dupe into your inventory, and wait 10 minutes to close the loop. Once closed, the world is reset so the parabox is already prepped for another round of duping. The mod that's intended to bar your way into quality of life mods is the same mod that launches you past that point!

I can do this as soon as I
a. break into the very early stages of Mekanism (osmium and steel)
b. get to the Lost Cities for Tritanium and early stages of Matter Overdrive
c. Get ~7 ender pearls

Yeah, the fact that it dupes items is totally stupid. I thought the idea was to run your world and build up power/production, then activate the box and charge as many points as you can, then start a new world with the prestige points making it easier.

Instead it just dupes loving items and the second you get it you're just pulling poo poo out of JEI cheat mode with extra steps.