Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
How useful/interesting is Railcraft?

I just started playing Resonant Rise: Project Flux, and I'm trying out the Ancient Warfare Modpack. When researching I had to make Booster Rails, and apparently Railcraft changes all the recipes from Vanilla Minecraft, so now I need to set up a bunch of stuff just to create them.

Would it just be a better use of my time to take Railcraft out of my mods, or does it have a useful functionality that makes it worthwhile?

Other than this snag, I've been loving RR ever since playing through Baby's First Space Race. Finally worked up to a DigiMiner and now I can focus on some other fun things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I haven't played any recent updates to Baby's First Space Race but I have to say, it was the first time I actually enjoyed playing any of the technical mods in Minecraft, and actually finished the quest book in it. It's a great layout, and very easy and forgiving. Definitely a great starting point.

For magic on the other hand, Botania has a great book within the modpack that really gives you a great starting point to work from and the flowers can be quite useful.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Can somebody be a guinea pig for a BFSR 1.5 release? Take the current one and plow it over with the stuff in this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3u3bql05m4r3m2/modpack.zip?dl=1

If unsure:
1. Open the pack's folder using the Technic launcher.
2. BACK UP YOUR poo poo. INCLUDING YOUR DADWORLD SAVE. Everybody that plays this makes a dadworld. Or at least that's what is in all the crashlogs I get.
3. Completely obliterate the following folders: bin, mods, jarmods, config.
4. Replace them with the same from the linked archive.
5. Launch that sucker and hold your breath.

I need a sanity check as I know never to actually release stuff at 1:30AM on a Saturday.

Seems to work fine for me.

It opens fine, and the Quest Book is definitely different so I think I did it correctly.

Now to start a brand new world after I just finished automating my old BFSR save.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Finally got around to playing Agrarian Skies 2, and just got to the point where I was getting some automation and was going to make a nether portal. Figured I should make a little platform in a box so if anything spawned, it would be contained. While building my cobblestone bridge over the void, my wireless keyboard cut out for a second, which of course made my shift key stop working, and into the void I go, with all my supplies, including a bunch of things I had just opened from reward bags. Of course, I keep forgetting to turn on keep inventory, so I guess I'm done playing Minecraft for another 6 months.

I can get behind the idea of if you make a mistake you pay the consequences, but the fact that it just autosaves on death is just unforgiving in my opinion. If I had died by my own mistake, I would totally just start over and not care, but this was a hardware gently caress up, and I get to basically start over because of it.

I'll just go back to BFSR where I feel like it's actually a fun game, and not this everything is extra annoying to build, mobs spawn hostile, can't build a clicker for an sieve BS.

Maybe I'm just not cut out for AS2.

EDIT: Just rolled back the old save, and popped in the KeepInventory code right before I died from the fall, so I guess I'm still gonna keep puttering on.

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 13, 2016

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I started playing SkyFactory 3 and I'm back at the point where I need to make a loving smeltery.

Is there any way to easily mass-produce grout?

SF3 lets you use compressed cobblestone/gravel/sand and compressed hammers, so really it doesn't take all that long to make a full stack of sand/gravel. The full block clay recipe is the best one for sure. My first smeltery was 5X7X3 and it did not take all that long to make.

I burned out on SF3 though because it kept crashing. I may go back to it after a few more updates. It was pretty fun.

Having a great time with Project Ozone 2 now, but at a certain point it really feels like a mod pack that needs multiple people to really tackle it. So many different paths to go down, some of which require a hell of a lot of work.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Has anyone had problems using Embers' Item Transfer?

I'm playing Exoria, and I'm trying to sort through all the items that you get from sieves/strainers. I have a bunch of barrels set up and an item transfer set up for each with the item I want to go into the barrel, but when I turn on the item extractor, it doesn't seem to actually filter the items. I have an overflow chest set up and everything just gets pumped into there instead. I'd rather not use buildcraft pipes, but at this point, I may not have a choice.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, all the primalcraft stuff was pretty fun.

Oh, another tip I just remembered for the new page - a block of charcoal produces more heat in the burner furnace than a single charcoal and seems to last 9x as long, so there's no downside and it makes melting iron tolerable.

I put a compacting drawer next to my furnace area, so I could just take what would work best for what I was doing. Blocks for Iron/Sand, pieces for other metals.

I'm loving Exoria for lots of stuff, other than Embers. I was moving at a good pace right up til I started hitting it's quests. It's just annoying. Of course, this will all be for naught, as I'm now also starting up the bees...

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Are we finally at the point now where to play PO3 or Enigmatica 2 we need 16 GB of RAM?

I was meaning on getting a new stick soon anyway, but it just seems nuts that it's so drat taxing on my computer.

Exoria is a great story pack, but Blightfall was definitely more linear with a preset world.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

BlondRobin posted:

Just go for it, people complain way more than they actually feel about minecraft combat; hell, people remember Blightfall positively and that game literally coated the map in hostile enemies including swarms of flying, uh, swarms that had terrible hitboxing. Minecraft combat isn't great, but it's not that terrible and getting to go wild with all your ridiculous tools at the end sounds like a good finale to me.

i mean, minecraft combat is still better than literally any elder scrolls' combat engine so

Hell I'll go farther and say the real problem isn't the combat, it is just the mobs. Half of the added mobs in mods are lazy or bullshit. Usually when a pack has blood moons or that stupid add modifiers to mobs mod I'll just skip it. Or at least turn them off. How much fun can getting swarmed by invisible 1up flying fiery gatling skeletons actually be.

If it had a way of gradually introducing stronger mobs at later times it might be better.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I second Baby's First Space Race. That was the first time I built an AE system and got to the moon. I usually burn out before them in most modpacks.

The Ozone packs are pretty good, though they can definitely be overwhelming when they really get going. I'm playing the third one right now and when you have to progress through a mod you don't want to do it can be frustrating, but there is always another set of stuff to focus on for the time being.

That said, I just got to the Embers part of the pack, and I may give up cause I really just don't feel like doing it all again. I really hate that mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

ProfessorCirno posted:

The Abyssalcraft stuff feels like it comes just way too early. The first time I had to do this long trip with my lovely club and boat and such to find the Darklands was cool-ish, but between trying to kill Shadow creatures and then trying to deal with shoggoths, I just felt like I didn't have access to enough tools to really do it well. Making it worse is the fact that, unlike Astral Sorcery and Blood Magic, there's no real benefit to doing Abyssalcraft. Astral Sorcery gives you easy transmutation of a few things, some real good items, and the whole probably OP perk system. Blood Magic gives you a grip of stuff, from the bound equipment to, later on, item transportation (Blood Magic has always been weirdly tech-y for a magic mod). Admittingly I never got deep into Abyssalcraft, but it never felt like there as like...a reward for it.

I just got to the point in PO3 where I can start doing the Abyssalcraft stuff, and because I actually have worthwhile gear and the ability to fly, I'm actually excited to see what the mod has to offer. Having it so early in Sevtech made that whole section just drag on. I loved Sevtech, but I absolutely hated Abyssalcraft within it.