Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Mzbundifund posted:

You can either cheat, or you can edit the MagicalCrops.cfg file to change the configuration back to normal.

At the bottom of the file you'll see the line "B:"Essence seeds drop from tall grass"=false". Change it to =true.

Yup. If you dig through the config file, you can also turn back on essence ore, and adjust various parameters like whether crops drop extra seeds and/or essence when harvested, and how many seeds you get per craft of the recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Shukaro posted:

I love that azanor is reworking tc's systems entirely, again.

Isn't Azanor one of those ~MY VISION~ type of modders?

I mean, you'd think that would mean consistency of systems from version to version, rather than complete reworks.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

There are two guides, one in-game and one hosted on google docs, which guide basic progression, but no HQM. If I knew more about HQM (and had a more competent grasp on this pack) it would probably be easy to convert either guide into a fairly simple and barebones HQM guide though.
It takes less memory and loads way faster than New Horizons for me, though I guess that's a low bar to pass.

I took a break from IE:E about a month ago (Stardew Valley, Factorio, and now the Sky Factory 2 modpack have been eating up my gaming time). I'll probably come back to it again at some point. I didn't get to the creative stuff, but I did get through a fair amount of tech progression (Big Reactor, AE2, RFTools dimension builder) and a bit of magic progression.

As Vib notes, there's no HQM book, but there's an in-game guide in custom menu accessible from the player inventory screen. IIRC, it's mostly an early-game guide to get you pointed in the right direction early on. There's also the Google docs guide someone put together on r/feedthebeast, which is pretty good. Hypnotizd also did a let's play on YouTube and that seemed okay from what I watched of it.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Despite no quest book, the custom recipes generally create a nice pace of progression and also create mod-dependencies that force you to really explore lots of the mods in the pack. It prodded me to learn several mods I hadn't really touched before (IC2e, Immersive Engineering, Storage Drawers, RFtools, Draconic Evolution, Botania, and Witchery so far). I'm sure some people would hate a modpack that forced them to explore mods they dislike or are unfamiliar with, but given how long we've been on 1.7.10, it was exactly what I needed to refresh my interest and to get me to try some new mods and some new builds. I'll also say that personally it never felt grindy to me. It gates some familiar and essential techs pretty hard (notably AE2 and ender quarries), but I usually had so many projects on the go at a given time that I never felt like I was stuck grinding for resources or that it involved GregTech-levels of microcrafting.

Though it's worth noting that I tweaked several things to avoid stuff I consider "stupid bullshit." For example, I added in AE2 Stuff, disabled exploding reactors in IC2e, disabled weeds in Agricraft, unnerfed the RF output of Big Reactors and the ore vein output of Immersive Engineering excavators, switched Thaumcraft research to easy mode, and skipped the Gendustry gating (Gendustry is gated behind the Infinity Bee, so you need to do a lot of old-fashioned breeding before you can use Gendustry). Aside from the Big Reactors change, though, these didn't really help speed through progression of the pack so much as they minimized annoyances.

Taffer posted:

Does FTB infinity have a quest book or do you have to stumble through the altered progression with just NEI?

I wanted to try the pack out but it's so bloated to a ridiculous degree with garbage that it uses 3.3GB of memory at first launch in the main menu. And it crashes when you add any texture pack, without fail. Even after I stripped out the 10 most bloated mods it still crashed on me. And lol I'm never gonna play MC with vanilla textures, full stop.

Huh. I used the Soartex Fanver texture pack and had no issues with crashing on IE:E (playing in SSP). That was on version 2.3.5 of the pack though, so maybe something's changed.

escalator dropdown fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 31, 2016

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

Doing cross breeding while i was waiting.

Ok so head to soy beans, get a cul generator up. plan for when i wake up :)

Devor posted:

I did a bank of culinary generators in regular FTB Infinity Evolved, and it's a bit of a letdown with how overpoweredly efficient it is. Both growing the crops, and creating the culinary generators are relatively easy, and inherently infinite. You can fit a small farm of eggplant + garlic to make stuffed eggplants in one chunk, with a sprinkler system, and it's enough to feed culinary generators for an endgame Draconic Evolution-scale power system.

It's a good answer if you just want to force your way through things, but I think limiting your use of it just to have done it, and maybe jump start your industrial production, would be a better way to experience the pack.

Unless maybe FTB Skyblock nerfed everything to hell, I dunno.

Yup, they're still good. Been playing IE:S this week as well, and just got my first bank of culinary gens this morning (16 1x, need to get my QED made before I can upgrade to 8x). I'm also using the stuffed eggplant - two ingredients, very solid return. Some people prefer beef wellington or other foods that give more RF, but I prefer eggplant because it's a simpler system and can pump out more than enough power.

The main gating IIRC is breeding up the seeds. Since it's skyblock, you can't just break gardens / steal from villages. Besides soybeans, eggplant, and garlic, there's also four other seeds needed for the presser, which you need to make firm tofu to craft the culinary gens. So you have to do a fair amount of cross breeding to get set up. IE:S has Agricraft bonemeal mutations turned on though, so once you've got a stock of bonemeal it's very quick to breed new seeds or to get seeds up to 10/10/10.

For early game, I went survivalist generator, then furnace generator, then 6 Immersive Engineering water wheels (plus 12 hardened energy cells for storage). It got the job done but usually felt pretty tight on power, so I'm glad to be moving on to the culinary gens. Next project will probably be setting up IC2 reactors to get plutonium and UU matter going. Haven't tested but I think the Immersive Engineering excavator still works in skyblock, so I'll probably go hunting for a Uranium chunk tonight...

Also: don't build on Eerie chunks in a skyblock. Despite being fully lit, Eldritch Guardians will still spawn in them. Was not at all prepared for that when it first happened!

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

How does MFR interact with Agricraft? Do you not need a planter?

Correct. Plant field in crop sticks by hand, point harvester at it, and you're good.

As for field size, I also go with the 9x9. In addition to being the sweet spot for plain water and dividing nicely into nine 3x3s if you're using a Planter, it's a good size for most growth acceleration methods. OpenBlock sprinklers are 9x9, and Agricraft sprinklers and Lilypads of Fertility are 7x7, so a 9x9 is usually a decent fit for whichever of those you might want to use. You could also lay down Rituals of the Green Grove from Blood Magic underneath 3x3 sections, though I haven't done that in a build since 1.6.4.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

They were. I still have no idea how it spawned. Maybe on top of the rubber tree and it fell off? who knows. My area over that way is pretty secure i thought.

Agricraft question.

I just ran a set of 10 crop sticks with cross crops on top to power up some sugar cane and cactus. Just harvested my sugar cane now and all the seeds are still 1:1:1

So obviously im doing something wrong to increase them? (which is a pain as i have just set up my rows for the seeds i already have.

Or did i just get 10x unlucky?

As McFrugal suspected, Infinity Evolved: Skyblock has single-crop stat increases turned off by default. Here's how I do breeding to improve Agricraft crop stats:

The four grown wheats are your starter 1/1/1 seeds. Make sure they are fully grown before placing down the cross crops, and then they will crossbreed in the cross crops with improved stats. Once all five cross crops have finished crossing, I break everything, analyze the five new seeds, and replant the four best ones to run again. You can bonemeal empty cross crops to force the crossing in IE:S, which means you can do this process as fast as you can click so long as you have bone meal coming in (from sieving, a mob farm, whatever).

If you want to enable single-crop stat increases instead, go to \config\agricraft\Configuration.cfg and find:

quote:

B:"Single spread stat increase"=false

Change "false" to "true" and your single-line mutation should work, assuming you're playing in single player and not on a server.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Seriously just crank down the difficulty throttlers on Agricraft, crossbreeding maxed out crops of every type was fun once but I'm not gonna do that in every single modpack. Make it so crops can inherit from all other crops and reduce the stat divisor to 1. Breed up your base crops (carrot, potato, etc) to max, then all you need to do is crossbreed them to make the new varieties, and those new seeds will be 10/10/10 to start. gently caress breeding up every type of crop to max stats.

Meskhenet posted:

I agree.

Its like thaumcraft 4. once you've gone through the motions once, do it easy next.

I went and changed a few things in the config. So my rows of crops are breeding nicely.

Yup, agree on both. When playing packs on single-player I always go into configs and disable grindy poo poo I've done before. Unfortunately I'm playing IE:S on a server. Not looking forward to doing Thaumcraft... :suicide:

Meskhenet posted:

That stuffed eggplant in a culinary generator really is awesome. 2 generators to power a sieve, and i have one powering an auto clicker (though ill try build the auto hammer). A redstone clock on a block placer and my cobblestone breaking is now automatic. (though the autonomous clicker does use the chicken hammer properly.)

My problem now is transport. Getting stuff from one block 2 blocks over... The BC pipes, didnt like them in regrowth, not liking them now. And no, i dont have the resources to build itemduct yet :/

I want to harvest my garlic/eggplant and put it into a chest. That chest then sends it to a workbench to auto craft (something tells me that the baking dish might upset my plans there), then the bench drops it into another chest.

What can i use? for transport?

(the transfer node that i have making cobblestone. Does that move stuff around? all i know it does is make cobblestone)

Yup, you can use transfer nodes to move things around, probably the easiest option before you progress up to Thermal Expansion and EnderIO pipes. Put a transfer node on a chest/inventory, and run transfer pipes to where you want them to go. No world interaction upgrade needed as in your cobblegen setup, since the node is interacting with an inventory rather than with the world.

I use a Cyclic Assembler to autocraft them in my builds.

Itemducts on the right pump garlic and eggplant down from my farms above into the back of storage drawers for each one -- you can substitute in logistics pipes for itemducts, and chests/barrels/caches in for storage drawers here just fine. Transfer nodes on top of each drawer pull them back out, and run left into the cyclic assembler. A rationing pipe at the end (the blue pipe going into the assembler) makes sure only one stack of each food is pumped into the assembler, making sure it doesn't get filled with just eggplant or whatever.

Then you can put a schematic into the assembler for stuffed eggplant and set up the recipe on the right. You can leave the bakeware in the assembler, and it'll keep reusing it to craft each one.

The issue for you is that if you don't have itemducts yet, then you definitely don't have the machines set up to make the Cyclic Assembler. I don't know much about alternative autocrafting options that might be available that early on, so you'd have to look into that. You should be able to use the piping system above for them if you find one, or at least something similar.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Couple quick IE:E tips:

Vib: If you're short on Uranium, make an Immersive Engineering core drill and excavator and go looking for Uranium veins. If you're so inclined, I'd also unnerf the output per vein in the IE config back to default, but even as-is it'll be worthwhile.

Khorne: A nice addition to a storage drawers setup like you described is the Inventory Panel from EnderIO. You can hook it up to your drawer controller and it will function somewhat like an ME crafting terminal. And if you do end up making an AE system eventually, you can hook your storage drawer system up to it by slapping a storage bus onto the drawer controller.

Vib Rib posted:

I'll probably just Minetweak in some alternative recipe for Iridium, all the other materials I can handle okay.

At the end of the day, this is the answer when something in that pack (or any pack, really) feels like a brick wall. IIRC I did a few ME controllers legit, but mostly because 1) I hadn't touched magic, so I just started into that while my 8x reactors and recyclers setup worked on replicating iridium and depleting rods for plutonium, and 2) I didn't mind letting it run while I was at work for a few days. I eventually found a great cheat for iridium (go into Runic Dungeons, use a Staff of Traveling to carefully warp outside the dungeon, proceed to Ender Quarry out the whole thing), but I think since then they removed iridium from runic dungeon loot and the staff trick might no longer work either.

Thankfully, I believe IE:Skyblock puts the iridium into the crystal wrench recipe, and then the wrench is used to make the controllers. Since you get the wrench back, it's a one-time investment of 64 iridium, rather than requiring a stack per controller. Painful, but less so than IE:E. Wasn't looking forward to that, since I'm on a skyblock server right now.

Heffer posted:

Does anybody know if Infinity Evolved Skyblock has any other mods gated by bees? Bees are my least favorite things so I'd rather skip them.

GenDustry is gated behind the Infinity Bee, and gently caress doing bees without GenDustry. Thankfully, I don't think any non-bee stuff was tied to bees in IE:E, and I really doubt that changed for Skyblock. I'll take a look when I get home though.

escalator dropdown fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 12, 2016

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, I finally got a third piece of Runic Chalk and was incredibly disappointed to find that all the runic dungeon loot was absolute poo poo. No iridium chunks to speak of. Mostly just unenchanted iron armor and some coal. A diamond once every few rooms. What a total waste.

Bleh. The quarry trick was great. In addition to loads of iridium, I ended up with shitloads of black lotuses, mana steel, and void metal seeds, probably other stuff. Wonder how extensively they changed the loot table for runic dungeons since I played (I think 2.3.5?).

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Glory of Arioch posted:

ah, skyblocks, my old friend, it's time to screenshot you again

Might as well screenshot my IE:S base so far.

Topside of base. Right now it's a 39x39x39 cyclinder - three 9-high levels below for expansion, with 3-thick levels between each to hide wiring and piping in. The elevator down to those levels is in the center. Eventually I'm planning to make raised platforms/arms off of the cylinder for each main area of magic (Botania, Blood Magic, Witchery, Thaumcraft) as I get to them, and will generally pretty things up. For now, it's just a cylinder though.

The two farms on the right are 9x9 farms growing 10/10/10 eggplant and garlic for power generation. The farm on the top left is 10/10/10 cotton and pumpkins for string/wool and dirt production respectively. The one on the bottom left is just manual tree-farming at the moment since periodic lumberjacking produces more than enough. Eventually I might use that for some of the ore/gem Agricraft crops, but my sieving setup produces enough resources to keep pace with my building right now. Experience bushes line the walkway at the bottom. In the far background is an elevated manual mob farm (needed to cleaver some endermen for heads), and my original spawn point replaced with EnderIO Quite Clear Glass. People who visit say it's a little terrifying when they spawn in. :v:

Down the elevator to level 1, which I'm still working on filling up. In the far background, you can see my wall of storage drawers. On the left you can see the ProjectRed insulated wires I'm using as color-coded floor marking/guides. We'll circle around this floor moving counter-clockwise...

Further to the left, where those floor markings lead to my culinary power gen (purple) and my assembly table (red). Might be hard to see, but the doors are carpenter's garage doors with similarly color-coded glass.

Assembly table room, with 100 lasers. It'd be overkill if not for how much loving power some things in this modpack require.

Culinary generator room. Transfer pipes bring down eggplant and garlic into the cyclic assembler (rationing pipe at the end makes sure only one stack of each at a time, so it doesn't fill up with one or the other). Those get pulled out into the 32 8x culinary generators, which will produce just shy of 10k RF/t if they're all running at once.

Basically turning 180 degrees. Off-screen to the right is an undeveloped quadrant of this floor with my smeltery and various machines like the rock crusher, carpenter, thermionic fabricator, etc. etc. etc., which I'll gradually tear down and place in their own rooms.

To the left/middle, the green lines leading to the eight planned reactor rooms. Just behind that stupid column in the middle is my mass fabricator / replicator setup, which'll be used to pump out iridium plates for AE2, and then extra plutonium and iridium for Big Reactors poo poo down the road probably.

Behind the reactor rooms in the last screen shot is the first half of my planned igneous extruder / recycler setup, to produce scrap for the mass fabricators. 64 recyclers in there right now, plan is to double that.

The fourth quadrant, where my eight IC2 reactors are currently waiting to be rehoused, and various IC2 bullshit is spewn all about. I'll be hiding the machinery to produce quad uranium cells and to process depleted cells back with the recyclers, so the reactors should automatically refill themselves as long as I keep the system topped off with uranium, copper plates, and iron plates. I use this reactor layout I saw on reddit awhile back. It produces 420 EU/t and no heat, so no worrying about bullshit explosions.

Around the corner past my Storage Drawers wall, and behind the culinary gen and assembly table rooms, my cobble gen and auto-sieve setups. Nothing special. Cobble gen is a transfer node with world transfer upgrade, which feeds into resonant pulverizers with 2 speed upgrades and 1 upgrade that voids secondary outputs. The 3 stack produces dust, the 2 stack products sand, and the 1 stack produces gravel. Each line then feeds into its own row of four auto-sieves with 12 speed upgrades and 4 fortune upgrades. The broken ores output into an auto-compressor to combine the broken ores into their respective processable gravel/sand/dusts, which then feed into resonant pulverizer/redstone furnace pairs, again with speed upgrades. The finished, smelted products, as well as the non-ore outputs from the auto-sieves, then feed into that buffer diamond chest. Underneath the floor, more transfer pipes pull the contents of that chest into the storage drawer controller so it goes into my wall.

Once I get the reactors properly moved and hooked into the recycler/mass fab/replicator system, I'll move on to lots of other projects in prep for AE2 while I wait for iridium production. There's no shortage of stuff to work on, both to make sure I can actually get into AE when the iridium's made, and other things -- haven't touched magic at all yet, for example.

Since it'd only been about a month since I'd played IE:E, I mostly knew what to expect. So the two most frustrating things so far have been getting Enderman heads (just unlucky, I guess) and managing to lose TWO jetpacks (one resonant, one flux-infused) because I'm a goddamn idiot.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Taffer posted:

Too true. I'd love to play a pack like IE:E or IE:S that wasn't such a kitchen sink of garbage, I like the idea of amped up difficulty and altered progression but the mods it makes you go through are simply not fun at all. IC2, bees and all their demon spawn, steves mods, etc... It's just not fun at all. I'd even like a pack like that to introduce me to new mods and mechanics, but IC2 and bees and everything else are anything but.

I agree in so far as that I wish IE:E/S pulled in some newer or lesser-known mods into the progression rather than IC2e, but IC2e is is the only old/dated mod you really have to get much into. You don't have to touch bees at all. You use the Thermionic Fabricator and Carpenter from Forestry to produce tubes and circuit boards, but you can otherwise ignore it. Buildcraft (assembly table), Railcraft (rock crusher), and Steve's mods (galgadorian) are similarly limited in how much you're required to use them. You're probably going to go much deeper into Immersive Engineering, Tinkers, Agricraft, and Extra Utilities than Forestry, Buildcraft, Railcraft, or Steve's mods, unless you choose to go into them.

Even with IC2, it's... it's bad, but not as bad as I expected going in. You can use Immersive Engineering wiring to power IC2e machines with RF, or IC2e disables the old voltage BS so you can just use whatever IC2 cable safely. The most annoying part of reactors for me is that components don't stack -- it's easy enough to find a zero-heat build to avoid explosions, but crafting and moving multiple 6-chamber reactors is a bitch when the components don't stack. Machines breaking if you don't use an electric wrench is annoying as gently caress. The turning table is a piece of poo poo that I have to wrestle with every time I put it down, but the rest of the machines seem okay?

It mostly suffers in the pack because it basically does the same things that TE and EnderIO do but worse, and nothing especially fun or unique of it's own, but you still have to use it quite a bit in the progression. But on the whole, for me at least, IC2e is less of a punch in the dick than Thaumcraft's going to be, or than I recall Galacticraft being last time I played that.

Obviously not a glowing endorsement of IC2e. Like I said, I wish they'd leaned on other mods for the progression instead, and limited IC2 requirements to a machine or two at most. I dunno. I never played pre-1.6.4, so picking this up and knowing its reputation, I just expected much worse.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

I'm going through Agrarian Skies 1 so I didn't have either retrievers or mini-chests, but both of those would've been good ideas. AE > machine seems the best bet and I don't have to worry about channels on this version.

I seem to recall a major bug with connecting AE2 directly to pipes -- like crashing/corrupting poo poo level bug -- but I can't recall the specifics. I think it happened on the OMPi server about a year back, maybe? Anyone that remembers the details and can confirm, or that can disabuse me of an incorrect memory?

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Serifina posted:

Thermionic Fabricator. That one actually has a reason, though, as it requires power to maintain enough heat to keep the glass liquid. Not a great reason, though, since you don't need the types all that often. I like to put some sort of power cutoff to that machine (IE's breaker switch is perfect).

It also takes redstone input. I usually just slap a lever on it and call it a day.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

dont plant the sacred/mega rubber trees

Just don't do it. In any chunk. In any pack. :v:

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Magres posted:

I'd love something along the lines of AE2 without the autocrafting that's real easy to make and doesn't take power. The drawers mod looks pretty close!

Storage Drawers + the EnderIO Inventory Panel does exactly this. Though it doesn't take power, the Panel does require EnderIO Nutrient Distillation. Here's some screenshots from my current IE Skyblock game:

Wall of Storage Drawers -- a mix of single drawers for things I'm making in serious bulk, 2x2 drawers for other poo poo, and compacting drawers for things I might want in block, ingot, or nugget form. At the bottom in the center, below the drawers, is the Drawer Controller.

Viewed from underneath and behind. All the poo poo I'm automatically generating from mob farms, auto-sieving system and the like gets pumped into the buffer chest, which then gets pumped into the drawer controller.

Back to the original view. I've taken out a crafting slab in the middle and replaced it with the EnderIO Inventory Panel.

And back to the view from underneath. EnderIO item conduits connect the Drawer Controller to the Inventory Panel. The connections are set to input to the controller, and extract from the panel (this is so you can use the panel's Return area so you can dump items from your inventory into your Drawer system). You also need to put an EnderIO Remote Awareness Upgrade into the conduit connection touching the Drawer Controller. I've also got an EnderIO fluid conduit pulling Nutrient Distillation from a tank into the Inventory Panel.

Finally, the Panel UI. There's a crafting grid in the upper left (which has NEI shift-click integration, hence the planks), there's a search bar in the upper right, and (if you set up your item conduits properly above) there's the Return Area, where you can dump things to be returned to your system.

All in all, it's a nice alternative for people who want a mass storage system alternative to AE2 without the autocrafting.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

AceClown posted:

The draw of modded minecraft has changed demographic with the explosion in popularity of minecraft. The average Direwolf20 modded lets play has about 40k views. Stampylonghead can get upward of 300k views.

What this means is that we're the grognards of minecraft complaining about how it's too easy to generate RF in an obscure modpack while everyone else is playing the new stuff and not giving a poo poo cos they're laughing at some youtube chimp with a high pitched voice falling down a hole.

Yeah! Back in my day, we laughed at British YouTubers with high pitched voices falling into holes :v:

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

AceClown posted:

I saw a serious interview with the Yogscast on the BBC website business section and just got amazed that these few dudes from this very forum have built a multi-million viewer brand from dicking about in games.

Edit: Also "The Bomb" remains to this day one of the funniest gaming videos I've ever seen

I still occasionally go back and rewatch The Bomb, and also that Christmas Tekkit episode with Simon's Santa statue.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

alright thread, i have a confession to make

i'm playing a pack where IC2 Experimental, aka the Gregtech-ified version, is a mandatory part of progression

and, uh..

and i'm actually having fun with it

have i lost my mind??? :wth:

I genuinely enjoyed the heck outta IE Expert and Skyblock especially compared to any other "expert" type pack, but I definitely had to be in a particular mood for it. Sometimes I want a progression pack, sometimes kitchen sink pack, sometimes a quest book pack, sometimes TFC, etc.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Everything I've ever seen suggests chance cubes are total poo poo and never worth the risk, and that they're basically used by lazy pack makers in place of an actual structured or designed reward tree.

I'm pretty sure Chance Cubes specifically is highly customizable when it comes to rewards. Packs like PO2 with draconic reactor explosions and poo poo are often using rewards/punishments enabled by or even created by the pack-maker. Pack-makers could balance Chance Cubes to be less stupidly punishing (or not punishing at all!), but then they wouldn't be "funny," I guess.

Mostly, the inclusion of Chance Cubes in a pack is a red flag for me because it usually indicates a LOLRANDOM/punishing philosophy by the the pack-maker, so it probably includes blood moons and John Cena creepers and so on. I could go edit the configs to disable all that, but why bother? Easier to just play a pack more in line with my preferences instead. And generally speaking, I prefer a kitchen sink or a progression pack sans rewards OR a well-designed quest book with considered rewards over RNG chance cubes (or loot bags, or whatever else).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, SevTech is pretty great, but absolutely no storyline. Blightfall is still in a league of its own.

I tried SevTech when it released, but it was just... too much. I think I got up to Totems and starting Abyssalcraft and never continued. I’m toying around in Revelations kitchen sink right now just to familiarize myself with changes since I last played. I really got into Infinity Evolved Expert (and Skyblock), but every expert/progression pack since has seemed at first glance to have a serious increase in grind/time, whereas I’m mostly care about progression that ties mods together. Is that impression wrong? Is there a 1.12 expert/progression pack that relies more on gating progression on intertwining mods than on incredibly tedious grind?