Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
I seem to have a random issue with the Regrowth, every now and again and it doesn't matter if I've play for 5 minutes or 2 hours or if there is a ton on the screen or I'm starting a fresh game. The issue is sometimes when I click on a recipe on the NEI menu to the right of my inventory it will just crash to desktop and then I have to reload the whole thing again. Is this a common issue or am I just lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

Playing through Regrowth again and boy, it's grindier than I expected. I always gave up before getting to metals, but you need to do a repeatable quest 4 times to get copper seeds.

So I also started it up again and for the life of me I can not get Mandrake to grow. I literally spent around 3 hours last night trying to combine Potato and Belladonna in all kinds of formations and all I got was more Potato and Bella seeds.

Also I've been out of the Minecraft modding loop since MS bought everything. I know there was a breakdown at Bukkit and then Sponge tried to get off the ground, but what else is out there now for servers and easy modding. Or is it as simple as using these launchers to set up a modded server?

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

Weird. It's literally just on dirt, but that's also kind of the problem. Just remember that both the potato and belladonna have to be a full maturity before they can crossbreed - if you just have one or the other it'll spread that plant by itself.

Yeah I made sure they were both grown before putting the cross stakes in I think I was just having a really unlucky night.

Edit: I actually came in here to see if anyone had messed around with it recently so I'm glad it's just me having the issue instead of a wide sweeping bug. Also I've been playing post 1.9 for so long now that spam hitting mobs with weapons feels weird.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 22, 2017

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

I used NiftyBottle's 1.10 QoL pack as a base and started putting together my own modpack based on the idea of "one mod per category" since I figured that it was the only way to get a general modpack without bloat. So one tech/manufacturing mod, one magic mod, one storage mod, and so on. So far I have:

Farming: Agricraft
Tech: Immersive Engineering
Transport: Railcraft
Magic: Roots
Nature: Forestry
Storage: Storage Drawers
Tools: Tinkers Construct

It's not great (I'm still not sure if those are the best choices for tech and magic), but doing something like that might be better than sifting through tons of overstuffed mod packs.

e: I'll admit doing this pack was more of a thought experiment than anything else.

Got a link for this Your additions are exactly what I'm looking for for a general QOL modpack.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

fondue posted:

I would assume it will arrive this summer at the earliest. Also, switching from wands to gauntlets is pretty damned cool.

Earlier in the thread someone was asking if any games on Steam that are Minecraft-like are decent. The only one I've found that is remotely interesting is Creativerse and the reason I'm reminded of it is that gauntlet looks exactly like the gauntlet you use to mine in that game.

In other news messed around with with Regrowth again and I think I'm gonna have to delete it and reinstall it because after numerous attempts to crossbreed I finally checked the crop mutations for mandrake seeds and it's not even showing up there so something must have broke on my end.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Black Pants posted:

Ender Zoo is an awful mod of terrible poo poo like dirt slimes that have a 50/50 chance of spawning any time you dig up a dirt block. There are no redeeming features AFAIR.

That's not the worst mob in that pack. The Wither Witch is stupidly hard with her drat cat. Also I was messing around with the Nifty Plus pack and I really dig the Roguelike Dungeons mod. The thing that has always bugged me about Minecraft is the world feels empty, you might get lucky and get a village or dungeon underground. But with that mod they are everywhere and look different depending on the biome they are in. Granted this is probably old news to anyone in this thread but hell I haven't played modded Minecraft in forever so it's all new to me.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

I tried to find a decent magic modpack last night to mess around with because I've never really used any of it outside of Regrowth. The couple featured on Technic were a little overwhelming out the gate. Then went to check out what was out on the curse launcher and started messing with one called Thaumacraft 6 Prep and I really just have no idea where to start. Is there a decent modpack I've looked over that just focus' on magic?

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's Mo' Villages, which increases village frequency and adds a few new buildings.

I just found Recurrent Complex today, and it also adds new buildings to villages as well as dotting them around the world. It seems to integrate with Roguelike Dungeons because I've found a few prebuilt houses with dungeons under them (unless that's something RD does on its own that I've just never seen).

From what I can tell the building that RD builds are mostly biome specific. So the brick house in the woods with a dungeon in it or the wizards tower in the extreme hills.

Also I need to know what I'm doing wrong. With my current PC I've played a lot of heavy modpacks but the published ones always seem to miss a mod I really like so I decided to mess around in making one on my own for personal use. I did like Evil did and used Nifty's Vanilla Plus as a base, downloaded all the mods and added Tinkers Construct and Botania, threw them all into a new instance in MultiMC and all of a sudden my FPS and performance tanks. Also for some reason adding LiteLoader borks it all to hell.

Now the reason I ask what I'm doing wrong is I can run modpacks with way more than what I have in them smoothly so what could I have done that is making my custom one go to hell. Is it that fact I'm putting it all in MultiMc or is something in the background I have to configure to make them optimal and play nice with my system.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

NiftyBottle posted:

A few things (without links cause I'm on mobile):
It looks like Lite Loader has a specific thing to install it alongside forge that MultiMC may not do if you just click the install lite loader button. (Out of curiosity, what mod are you using that needs lite loader?)

One thing you could try is increasing the memory limit MultiMC is using for the pack - the default can be a little low for modded minecraft. Try 4 or 6 gigs (assuming you have that to spare) and see if that helps.

Another thing is that vanilla plus doesn't have any of the things aimed at improving performance that some heavy packs might. I think foam fix is the one in mod form I've heard the most about for 1.10. Optifine is another option but that's less drag and drop and may or may not cause issues with mods - some mod authors I think don't like it but I don't know how paranoid they're being.

For some reason I thought Journey map was causing the problem so I switched out for voxelmap which requires liteloader. Also due to Minecraft in general I give it lots of breathing room with ram. I'll try foam fix and see if that helps.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

So messing around in Sky Factory 3 and ran across the Chickens mod. God this thing is silly and is imo less work than magical crops. I'd never run it regularly though because it would just bust everything.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

I'd really like it if Regrowth and Project Ozone got updated to 1.10.2 playing them in 1.7 is fine but I feel like some of the mods they use have had some nice tweaks in 1.10 and it would be interesting to see them updated.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Black Pants posted:

Yeah no there's no way for Regrowth to be 'updated' to 1.10. There's no: Thaumcraft, Witchery, Magical Crops, Mariculture, Buildcraft? Railcraft? Millenaire? AcademyTech or whatever it was called? (Magical Crops was superceded by Mystical Agriculture but still.)

Additionally, Blood Magic in 1.8+ is completely overhauled from 1.7.

Oh I'm aware not everything is available and that's why it hasn't been updated. It's more just wishful thinking.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Threep posted:

Some things never change apparently. The FTB dudes are currently busy arguing on reddit that Quark letting you place a downward ladder more conveniently is way too overpowered and had to be taken out.

Never thought I'd see the day ladders of any kind would be overpowered but here we are.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

FTB Beyond's design choices are very, very bizarre. From what people are saying on reddit, they also changed the recipe for Psi's basic pistol (as in, the one you need to start using the mod) so that you need to kill the ender dragon and the wither three times each to make it.

I haven't messed around with Psi yet, what does it normally require? I'm guessing not an endgame recipe.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just iron and redstone to get started. So no, not even close to an endgame recipe. I don't even think the mod adds any new mineable resources.

:psyduck: That's quite a jump to into progression, now I'm going to go home and add Psi to my current modpack just to see what all the fuss is about.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Clearly the solution here is to nerf buckets. Maybe make it so you need to forge them in a sterling generator out of a stack of ender pearls or something.
If it takes that much it should be an Ender Bucket but it requires a block to be placed in a Deep Ocean Biome and never runs out of water.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Dareon posted:

I put together a 1.10 pack with Pam's, Mo'Creatures, MineColonies, BoP, Psi, and AM2. Wound up in a heated battle with a tiger that was camping outside my hut. Killed me like ten times.

MineColonies provides a definite jumpstart in terms of early-game safety. All you need is a boat made of boats and maybe a stack of blocks to build a pier with and you have a nice big ship, all lit up, with beds, chests, and even some amenities to harvest and use elsewhere. The biggest problem is the deck is high enough that falling off it onto a dock does half a heart of damage. Died three times that way.

Minecolonies looks fun I might add it to my pack for some extra randomness.

Edit: Also learned yesterday that Recurrent Complex can mess with Tinker progression because I found a tree with obsidian in it and end stone in the ground with an enderman spawner in the middle.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 20, 2017

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Alright I've never used Natura before but for some reason I can't get Maple and Tigerwood saplings to grow I've looked at their various pages and they don't need any special soil so any ideas on what would cause them to not grow after multiple in game days?

Like I have a small oak tree farm nearby and I've harvested it twice and the Maple and Tigerwood saplings have not grown once.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

I love weird little bugs that can almost wreck hours of work. I was using the crates from Actually Additions and noticed that Basic Inventory Sorting was having some issues with them. First items disappeared and then it started duping them when I would sort using my middle mouse button. Specifially in this instance it was duping some AIOT's and making some diamond vanish. Then after gathering more diamond I made 2 of them into Mana Diamonds put them in the crate sorted and it doubled the mana diamonds and ate an AIOT. So yeah that was fun. Also if anyone was interested I got some Natura trees to grow but for some reason Maple and Tigerwood still don't want to even when I throw a stack of bone meal at them.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

McFrugal posted:

Are you sure it duped/destroyed the items, and didn't just desynch your client so it looked like you had more/missed some?

Only have two of the small crate and just double checked everything 2 Mana Diamonds were put in and i got 4 after Invtweaks sorted everything.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Serifina posted:

That tree farm uses a combination of corporea and red string. From the creator of the farm:

Every time I think I start to have a grasp of solid mana generation for Botania I see something like this and realize I know nothing.

Edit: Also this wouldn't work with Recurrent Complex since it can randomly generate large trunks.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm on mobile and can't find it in search; is there still a general Minecraft thread and can someone link it if so?

I got you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430275

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

The thing I never got about all those Minecraft server horror stories was why people would pay to access the server then pay more to be able to get diamonds or whatever. Wouldn't it have been cheaper (and easier) to just host your own server?

I always was under the assumption that servers like that were literally preying on children who didn't know any better and/or lazyness of older folks who still wanted to be a server with people who paid to get in without having to deal with randomfolk constantly asking to be whitelisted.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Well I was messing with Tiny Progressions in 1.11 and made some reinforced Obsidian tools and now I feel like I'm cheating. Also I really wanted to like Abyssalcraft but felt like it's really hard to get into due to the first tier ore in it is super rare considering first you have to find the Darklands and then be lucky enough to find the Abyssinite. I mean I get that it's an end game mod and the armors you make from it and stupidly good but it just felt like the time/reward wasn't really worth it.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Heads up if anyone is interested Buildcraft just got updated to 1.11.2.

Edit: And oh my the comment section on the Curse page has already devolved into arguing because it skipped 1.10.2.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

frenzy posted:

someone already posted potato gnishes. I think Buildcraft going to 1.11.2 is a good thing because it'll help ensure other mods do not get left on 1.10.2

With 1.12 in the works I wonder if more of the bigger mods aren't waiting for that but at least it gives 1.11.2 a big tech mod since the guys who do Ender IO have said they aren't near completion yet.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 10, 2017

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Active666 posted:

funny, you say this. Just got into MC wirh my son and he saw an old buildcraft video and wanted to add it. Long story short buildcraft 7.9 is not ready for prime time and should probally not be used in survival since not everything works correctly...

Out of curiosity since i'm at work what currently doesn't work?

Edit actually just read some of the comments on the Curse page, yeah looks like it's an alpha build so probably a good chunk of things don't work. Oh well will still be fun to mess around with for a little bit as they update it.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 10, 2017

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

So something I've never done is play adventure maps, is there a definitive site to go to for them or just use Curse?

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Alright so I have an opinion question for everyone since Chicken Bones just updated everything to 1.11.2, NEI or JEI? All I've used recently is JEI because I've been playing modded 1.10/1.11 but now that NEI is updated is it a better mod or basically the same thing?

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Serifina posted:

Use JEI. NEI is pretty much worse at this point. If both are installed, NEI will act as a JEI plugin instead, giving you the old extra NEI functionalities (such as the old light level overlay and chunk overlays).

Sweet thanks for that. Also for all this talk of the modding community slowing down it seems to me that there are just as many mods to replace those that don't get updated. Also for the real popular ones like Magic Crops someone else will take the torch and keep it going and just change the name.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Serifina posted:

Ignore Rutibex. He's wrong, he's been wrong about Minecraft for ages, but he'll never accept it. The big reason 1.7.10 has so many mods is because it was the primary version for an incredibly extended period of time. Mods are catching up or being replaced and new ones being made constantly for 1.10.2 and 1.11.2. Any popular project that's open source that gets abandoned will get picked up and continued, or newer, fresher, and often better alternatives will come out.

I mean I figured but since I'm relatively new to the thread so I didn't want to be a jackass so I figured I'd put it in the nicest way possible that modding isn't going anywhere and Minecraft is not gonna die anytime soon.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Thats not how youtube views work. You don't accumulate many more views over time, most of the interest comes in the first few days. Take for example iDubbbz, he has become rapidly more popular over time but his early videos do not accumulate more views. Here is a early video from his popular "Kickstarter Crap" series. It has 373,464 views despite being online for 4 years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW_KUgrLWPE

This newest video in the "Kickstarter Crap" series has only been online for 4 months and has 3,035,661 views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt0SzN02tMw

If your going to use an example of views growing over time at least use another Minecrafter. Ssundee's first Tekkit series four years ago pulled over half a million views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKvzsgx2wW0

The Trollcraft series he has done with Crainer and CaptainSparklez recently has pulled in over 2 million views consistently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X4vDlJGBRU

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

"how do we make the modded minecraft thread more autistic?", the scientists pondered

I'm sorry for my part in this.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 12, 2017

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, Actually Additions is kind of a weird mod. It's like the guy looked at Botania and decided he wanted his mod to do everything it did, but with more GUIs. Trying to move items around is particularly cumbersome with its mechanics.

The little stuff it adds, like tiny coal, is pretty useful. The drills are really, really good, too, once upgraded; definitely make one of those.

I found that pairing Actually Additions with something like the RFTools generators helps it out. It also feels really well thought out up till you get to empowering things and then after that there are mods that do those kinds of things better with less cost, at least that's how it feels to me.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Does the AA Empowerer even make anything other than intermediary crafting items for other stuff from the mod?

Not that I'm aware of. I just double checked Direwolf20's mod spotlight just to make sure and he moves on from the empowerer very quickly so probably not.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

escalator dropdown posted:

Mostly, the inclusion of Chance Cubes in a pack is a red flag for me because it usually indicates a LOLRANDOM/punishing philosophy by the the pack-maker, so it probably includes blood moons and John Cena creepers and so on. I could go edit the configs to disable all that, but why bother? Easier to just play a pack more in line with my preferences instead. And generally speaking, I prefer a kitchen sink or a progression pack sans rewards OR a well-designed quest book with considered rewards over RNG chance cubes (or loot bags, or whatever else).

Speaking of punishing modpacks Craft of The Titans is a beefy quest/adventure pack that has improved mob AI so a Creeper will see you through a window and blow up to let his zombie buddies in or one of the zombie will be carrying tnt and will drop it on your front door and activate it. It also has Blood Moon but the pack specifically has quests that warn you and how to handle it. Usually I just go mining during a Blood Moon unless I'm feeling frisky.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

frenzy posted:

If you're looking for a 1.10.2 quest pack craft of the titans is pretty good. the quest book is very thorough and thinks of everything. If you follow the book it walks you through a lot of the big mods. I put up a server for it here

Disclaimer on this pack it can get pretty brutal until you get set up unless you get super lucky on some earlier loot bags and even then recently I went exploring found a green stone ruin and got wrecked at the bottom by Mutant Steves and Fire Elementals that had spawners down there.

Edit: that being said the pack is a lot of fun the difficulty is what keeps bringing me back to it.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Toadsmash posted:

My introduction to the pack was getting killed by a wild dog before I could barely react in the first five minutes of play. You'd better be wiiiiiiide awake to play it.

And god help you if you try to mess with cows for food early on.

My record was Wild Dog killing me as I was loading the world for the first time basically logged in dead. Also yeah don't mess with cows the quests will get you plenty of food although the most recent version of the pack removed a couple heart containers out of the early game.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Toadsmash posted:

Also, the pack has a veinminer mod, but I can't get it to work in the current version for whatever reason. I ended up removing Ore Excavator and replacing it with regular Veinminer.

Just FYI for anyone else playing the pack it's hotkeyed to Shift. I found this out trying to dig out an underground base and wrecked my ladder.

Also if you create a world and spawn on a little island with no oak trees on it just scrap the world and try again. The water is unforgiving and even on a boat Piranhas and Aqua Creepers will wreck you.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Halibut Barn posted:

I gave the pack a try last night and my second world (first one was the expected first-time disaster) was one of those little isolated islands. With some trees, fortunately, and it was easy to light up the whole island, but yeah, you still gotta watch out for those piranhas and aqua creepers constantly nipping at the edges. One unexpected advantage of that was that exploring underground was almost completely monster-free (all the critters in the water must be bumping up against the spawn cap already), and there was a huge underground cavern with a lava lake and lots of exposed resources. I'm guessing I'm going to have to depend on the Nether to get off this place, and I fully expect it to be full of 'fun'.

The Nether is a nightmare because the modpack has Ad Inferos in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

The Rats in COTT are weird. First they are great to have around before you get anything shiny because they will attack wild dogs and bears. Then they become kill on sight because of the stealing mechanic but so far I've only lost one big thing because as soon as I hear the buggers I get defensive. Also I got really pissed the other day because I was gunning hard for Refined Storage and the pack has it gated behind some pretty pain in the rear end materials from Steve's Carts 2. Especially since Ad Infernos is in and the Nether is a pain. Guess I'll just have to set up some massive Storage Drawers because Colossal Chests is awful.