Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's sort of a hassle, but the OP has it right - get a boat, make those goggles if possible and just roam the seas, especially at night. The nodes are all over the place, but sometimes it's a pita finding ones with all the types that you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Well, if you're trying to get enough vis to make a 150 storage wand, the ocean is your best bet because one tentacle is basically death at that stage in the game.

I think I'm "done" with blightfall, I cleared bronze in everything but I don't think I'm going to solo clear the land. Just not gonna happen.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

30.5 Days posted:

Cheat yourself in a completion medal & see the village. You earned it, honestly.

EDIT: Also I'm 90% sure the poster you were responding to isn't playing blightfall.

Whoops, I'm following both threads and lost track.

Yeah I'll check out the village tomorrow. It'd be nice if you could detect solo play and adjust accordingly.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
No one's going to push a random button after the first time they get burned; then, if you start doing triggers at doors, the first thing any minecraft player is going to do is create a 2x1 tunnel along side and pop in at unexpected areas, or mine down from the surface. You'd need a ME^3 style system to force the player to start only in the entrance.

you'd have to make way too much stuff into bedrock to make it very fun :/

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 7, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

SugarAddict posted:

I had my own idea of a adventure modpack that revolved around a gigantic sprawling space station that you had go reclaim and rebuild/repair critical systems to open up new areas of the space station so you could use their unique recources or with machines and setups already done and/or does things cheaper than you could do it your self.
Do this! the smaller scope of the station means that you could conceivably complete it without burning out first.

Also, I didn't know i wanted to play something like this until just now.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nolanar posted:

Make it one of the Space Station 13 stations.
F.A.R.T.S *[145.9] states, "Situation Update. The generator is now a hungry node."

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Is there a technic launcher thread somewhere? Anyone know if there's any plans to support texture packs in the technic launcher? It seems like a big feature that's missing (there's probably a reason for it, i'd guess?)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

30.5 Days posted:

As for texture packs, you mean delivering packs via the platform?
Yes, exactly. I don't which would be better, either doing the compatibility checks for all the different mods individually or relying on the mod authors to upload a "working" texture pack.

Rocko, I'm going through baby's first space race and the Enrichment Chamber is one of those items with sub numbers and you seem to be looking for the base item, so the quest can't ever be completed.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 11, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Nope, you're definitely looking for "Encrichment Chamber" and when you cheat one in it says "Enrichment Chamber:512" or something. I just figured out the last step and built the miner on my own.

Also: OMG, mars is filled with monsters! Not a warm welcome. (is there no "congrats, you did it, with balloons or fireworks? I just completed the quest, that was it?")

Holy cow galacticraft and mekanism are kicks in the balls. Who thought this kind of tedium was fun? :(

e: Was a real fun modpack though, thanks! So glad to not spend half the game mining ores.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 11, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Here you go:

Can you make custom achievements? Maybe just have a "You did it!" item that the final quest gives that's unlikely to have been crafted (fireworks or some other usable bauble?) and have the receipt of those trigger the achievement which triggers fireworks thanks to one of the mods you loaded? Or just have a "To the moon" quest which unlocks a "Back Home!" quest to turn in anywhere in the right universe. I guess rockets come with a non-reusable lander (?) but when I put the tier 2 on the pad and went to mars I used the parachute instead? I was a bit confused by this.

If you're adding to the quest book, I'd think about :

Some automation walkthroughs, like getting liquid filtering working in your smeltry to auto-smelt ores instead of using the faucets and the basic pulverizer -> induction furnace chain for the steel (which you need wayyyyyy more of than I realized when I started building the rocket)
Explaining how to fill the required redstone fluxducts (and larger energy cells) since that's non-obvious if you've never done it before, same with the different colored sides of machines
The fact you have to dig down to get the required lead + gold, you can't find them near the surface
A way to pull lava and raw oil out of the world and into pipes, i don't know this one myself; I vaguely remember something long ago but I couldn't find any obvious "pump" candidates in NEI beyond the transfer IO which doesn't work well for 'thick' liquids that don't refill.
Change the text that tells me to fill the reactor with water to filling it with the provided liquid ender from the tank, and that you can just fill the top squares and it will "run down" and fill the whole reactor
How it's pretty easy to 'overshoot' a quest by accident, I did this with tcon where I made the parts but didn't open the quest before I built the tool, since you can't unbuild it I had to cheat in the parts so I could get past that quest and complete the tool quest.

Maybe some way of suggesting avenues or gating some of the quest lines against others, for example, getting all the progressive automation up before power and ae2 and rubber when you move to the MFR stuff, I didn't touch post-scarcity tab at all until way late since I assumed all of it required power, and by then I just built an igneous extruder rather than that Extra Utilities kludge and went straight to the iron miner
Maybe explain how to enable cheat mode in NEI if you're playing single player
Maybe explain shift clicking to transfer/drop whole stacks, Using shift-? to autofill from NEI, basic quality of life navigation things (can you autofill anything but the ME2 crafter?)
Maybe make a trash can to dump all those old worthless tcon tools into (you had me build stone, bronze, AND steel tools) also tcon sucks and i hate tcon but that's not your fault :)

I can think of a few rough edges you could file off in current quests, especially the weirdness of the galacticraft objects; for example, I had built the fuel loader in my base next to the refiner (I thought the "loader" loaded it into buckets like the transposer) and when I broke it I lost all the fuel. Didn't know where oil could be found and I mistook oil for sludge since they look pretty much the same and the overlay doesn't work when you're looking at either

I figure the locked miner quests explain how to use the miner, since I had to look that up on the wiki, it's pretty bad in terms of UI and obvious use. Is there anything else worth building in mekanism? Seems a waste to make all those things just for the miner (which is awesome, true)

Did I mention how I really liked being showered in ore and items? I really liked that. It still took me maybe ~8 hours to do the whole thing.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 11, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So I played around with me^3. About 6 hours in, and I've cleaned most of the biodome and STILL haven't found wherever the ME drive is hiding. I've got 3 or 4 drives at this point and am getting really, REALLY tired of minecraft's janky combat and killing infinite numbers of spiders. The spawners are impossible to find and there doesn't seem to be a lot of "goals" in these stored rooms. Just a few chests here and there in "hidden" areas that you have to get lucky to stumble upon. I got a bunch of bee stuff and just decided to log. I didn't realize it was a forestry+bee pack - two mods that I REALLY dislike.

Never did find the certus. "LOL ITS SOMEWHERE IN 128x128 JUST FIND IT" well I broke about a million blocks, didn't find anything and then went home.

Unless it's supposed to pick up right after where I'm at, I think I'm going to stick with modern packs. This pack had so much potential, too.

I got a few ender cores from "hidden" areas outside the, er, space station(?), I really want to just quary the whole damned thing.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 12, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The quest book said it was in the first zone, so I cleaned the place out with the exception of the 8x60x60 cube of stone or whatever just above the bottom. Made a half-hearted attempt at that before giving up. I think you basically have to strip mine the entire zone to get all the nooks and crannies that were deliberately created to have monsters spawn in. I've put hundreds and hundreds of torches down in both zones and things still spawn.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, it makes sense when you think about it that way. I'd been given machines in chests in a number of occasions and thought one would be provided to me, ready to go.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm kind of shocked a quest book has such a huge codebase.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Glory of Arioch posted:

god it's like i'm back in the stone ages
heh, I'm playing regrowth, too. I'm still not sure how you are supposed to kill endermen or even venture outside and live without armor. It took me an entire minecraft day to chop enough trees to make wooden armor and it still only gives 4 icons of protection.

Are those generators on the side? What the hell are you doing? How is it working? Is that a single block smeltry? I thought the minimum was 3x3? Weirdly placed tool forge and pattern chest and those generator things next to what seems like a normal ingot smelting thing, feeding into a barrel, but I don't get it.

I haven't gotten to seared bricks yet, so I assume this is a weird seared brick recipe thing that's pack-specific...

It's also funny how people build different - I found a crevice that I blocked over, and you built a little overland compound. I'm also sad this is yet another pack without waypoints or elevator blocks :(

e: wait, are those "generators" servo replacements? They must pull liquid into the pipes.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 14, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Oh, I've never used anything but fluiducts. I seriously last used wooden pipes maybe 3 years ago in who knows what ancient version, in whatever I was playing back before the orig skyfall.

I didn't know about the smaller smelty size, that's going to be really helpful soon.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The last time I remember using wooden pipes back when I played on some goon server. This was the one where we made the aircraft carrier and the enterprise, I think?

But seriously, how did you kill that one enderman? I killed a few little enders and got a ender pearl, but no of course it's a kill quest not a get ender pearl quest.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nasty Surprises so far: Mandrakes, skeleton cats, and the fact the flower creators are 3x3 (I cheated a few in after emptying in a 1x1 and not getting a single white flower)
Death count: 26

I have a goblin thing trapped in there and he wants calamari for some weird dust. I moved him to the basement (currently empty).

No animals on my pasture yet. I might be in the wrong biome. I hope I don't have to move!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 14, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yay, good to know. Started on early botania and next stop, enderman murderville.

LOL at that blog post - Easy to use with no annoying side effects = "forbidden fruit" that people "can't resist once they've had a taste", and this is deemed a negative thing

gently caress that guy

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
is there a fast way to auto-pick all botania flower to petals, I guess you can use 9 of those crafting frames?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I never did figure out how to use the crafty crate. There was supposed to be a gui that popped up, but I could never get it open.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There isn't an already-working system in existence that some mod author won't reinvent, but worse!

This includes a second version of their own creations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I couldn't get the presets to accept the filler items or any of the presets. Maybe crafting flowers and other 1->X items are basically the only useful thing? The flowery non-specific documentation that botania loves is useless. I'll try it out tonight.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah honestly I feel like there's room for a 'better' crafting table that's somewhere between what we have now and AE.

I'd really like to be able to store/search recipes by name click to fill using items from all adjacent chests using oredict, and have a 'craft unless >=X are adjacent. I liked the buildcraft block, that was very useful, I used it for cobblestone in skyfall just like you did. Also autocrafting all dependencies if avail would be great, too.

Basically, I want to streamline the current "Open crafting table, search for item in nei, click, shift-click the ?, replace any items that didn't dictionary correctly, take completed item". If I've crafted something once, I don't want to have to go through those steps again and again.

I built the preset but I couldn't figure out how to load it into the crafty crate. Clicking did nothing.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

McFrugal posted:

What do you mean by "flower creators"?
Bonemeal for botania. I forget what they are called, but they're green bonemeal. I had just got 1/4th the yield I should have because I only dropped them on a single dirt block, thinking they were like bonemeal. (Floral Fertilizer)

TY for this! Maybe something was wrong with my crate, because when I clicked it nothing happened, maybe I was using the spacer items? Anyway I dunno, it's clear enough once you understand how to use it.

Animated gifs are SO underrated as instruction manuals. Replace all youtube "personalities" with 2 second gifs, TIA

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 15, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Asie, only $10 to join the cool kids. Essay incoming!

It's not about power creep, as that can generally be adjusted in a config file. it's about integrating a potential mod into a host of others without breaking or ruining the balance. It's about the lack of bullshit and drama when your mod rubs up against a neighbor.

More than anything else though, its about modpack and other mod authors who have to deal with integration and are trying to create a unified experience for the player.

Like it or not, this is the era of mod packs. The only people playing modded minecraft are doing it from a launcher. "Power" is more like a stdlib for other mods to use than a player mod itself, and so it absolutely must fit usage criteria. No one wants to use a lovely library or API, they're going to pick the more popular and well-written one. No one wants to deal with obtuse usage rules or interactions, and mods that have it are generally discarded for mods that don't.

It's the mod authors you are trying to market to, and every single one has a strong opinion about game balance in their mod. It's not about the players at all. It's about mod authors now. They are the arbiters. As a mod gets more adoption, it becomes the "universal" one in the space - not on the basis of being stronger in-game, but on ease of integration.

Every modpack has JABBA. Why? Because it fits all the criteria. It just works. It accepts and emits all items using most common mods from any side. It's entire instruction manual is "is a chest, but you right click to items in, left to take out, and crouch click to lock item type". It can be built 3 minutes after you start a new map from the most basic of materials. It has no weird interactions, it doesn't explode, stop working for any reason, require sunlight, move around when you aren't looking at it, require a production chain or exotic materials. It doesn't take center stage, works well with others, and so people quietly add it into their packs instead of complaining that being able to hold an infinite number of an item in one square is completely overpowered. Which it is, obviously. Crazily so. But so what? It makes the game more fun.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

An electrical power systems mod where you have to worry about voltage and amps for certain parts of your network would be pretty cool. Oh this control bus runs on 24V direct current, gotta put in a transformer or it'll blow up. High-voltage power lines for long transmissions etc. I'm an electrician so it would be the coolest poo poo, contrary to the nuclear engineer guy I don't mind taking work into my games :v:
Well I'm a computer guy and I feel like everyone would LOVE the idea of routers. We can call them... controllers. Oh and they have a bunch of limited ports so let's limit connections to 8 devices. Oh unless you have 10A gig fiber which uses a different cable, so of course wireless is possible but every transmission has to have a port if you will and item types are separated and...

Hey, where are you going? Why does everyone hate my idea and want thing to be more simple? Oh because not everyone wants to get a college-loving-degree to play my mod

KISS

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Demiurge4 teaches ohms law is the new Mavis bacon teaches typing?

Hmm.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It could work, except your quest book would have to be a text book, it wouldn't just work as a mod you slap in and where to abstract and where not to is just murder. I feel like minecraft maybe isn't the right tool.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Your Lottery posted:

And if you pick up a machine without a wrench it breaks into just a machine block. And it also breaks into a machine block 1 time in 10 if you use a wrench, unless you use an electric wrench, in which case it still breaks into a machine block 1 time in 10 unless you change the mode of the electric wrench.
Trigger warning this poo poo, omg

I just about broke down crying one time, no joke.

One easy gotcha to waste 2 hours of gathering and crafting time! Why the pitchforks and torches, guys?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Reminder to those who want to emit status effects, look to the sludge boiler - it poisons everything around, and it's dumb no one likes it and it doesn't fit the pack at all.

Fortis posted:

Really you'd just have to think outside the box a little bit to come up with interesting consequences for loving up power.
Maybe every machine has a base model that does what it does just fine, but can be upgraded with special circuit boards. If you use too much voltage on an upgraded machine, it fries the boards and you have to replace them, but the machine itself would be fine.

It's a watered-down version of what happens in real life if you overload electronics without ruining hours of work.
Stop trying to reward experimentation with damage and loss! What the hell is wrong with you?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah sure, if you want to have a config file option "SLAM_HAND_IN_CARDOOR=true" have at it, it just better be false by default.

You also better have a miracle potato for in-game debugging purposes that tells you what thing is messing up your entire system.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

senae posted:

eh, I don't mind the sludge boiler. It's just a 5x5x5 cube I need to ignore for the rest of time, and I get free soul sand and junk for my troubles.
Exactly.

It's a mechanic that's only in a single block and nowhere else in the mod, that you don't know about until you turn it on AND feed it sludge, it has weird interactions with other mods (extremely deadly with pam's harvestcraft or other health-centric mods) and is a tripwire for inexperienced players whereas veterans just easily bypass it by building it underground.

So many of these suggested mechanics are just tripwires for the inexperienced, where it should be the exact opposite. That's why it's a bad mechanic.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 15, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, i meant hunger overhaul, sorry. But the line between "This other mod is bullshit" and "Speedbump" varies depending on what modpack it's in, and what the focus of that pack is. If it's just a speedbump, why even have it, it's just completely out of place. Have it make an annoying noise or something non-impactful. Mod mechanics should be conservative, mechanics should affect the blocks of their mod only, otherwise you get unintended interactions that other mod authors have to deal with and consider. It's even worse that it's a one-off mechanic that isn't used anywhere else.

It's not the end of the world in either case, but it's a rough patch that you should look at and go "Why is this mechanic in here? What enjoyment or challenge does it bring?" and if the answer is "Aggravating" for a newbie and "Pointless" for a veteran, it probably doesn't belong.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 15, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

It's actually quite easy and goes back to how you teach ohms law. If you want to upgrade your machine it pulls more amps. More amps means a bigger power cable. You wouldn't run 60 amps through a regular 1.5q wire that is used in most house installations, for example, it would overheat.
Several "levels" of cables is perfectly fine. But that's what we already have with both RF and AE2, just in AE2 you can't hook things directly up to the larger cables. Machines also accept power from any sides (with a few dumb inconsistent exceptions).

Mousing over a cable and having it read (6 / 12 Amps) and mousing over a bigger cable (6 / 24 Amps) is very easy to grasp, but doesn't bring voltage into play and doesn't tell you anything about ohm's law. Making one "low" voltage and one "high" voltage (to be abstracted as energy loss for low voltage) also doesn't really teach you about ohm's law because it's just a second mechanic which simply means "higher for distance transmission to substations and then lowered to LV to machines.

I guess you could have some sort of voltage slider managed by transformers, but again you're trying to wedge mechanics into a game not really suited for what you're trying to do. Doubly so if you try and introduce a million different gauge wires and when the 'good enough' solution of throwing the biggest wire you can at the problem will solve the challenge.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The crossbreed snake is amazing. I'm setting that up ASAP. I also didn't even know the drawer controller existed; I think I might cheat one in, those sound great.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 16, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
BTW, am I going to want a 1x3 rich farm plot for every plant once I get it to 10/10/10 or can I ignore most of them once I create a single one for the quests? Do I want to 10x10x10 every single seed? I don't know what most are used for yet. I put a cobble fence down and am gradually moving stuff outside and I'm trying to plan out my growing area. I only have nature and essence seeds right now, and I've got maybe 6 or 7 other types created from the food crops and am gradually crossbreeding to create them as per the quests.

Also, what's the treefarm automation in this pack? Somehow all my dayblooms and nightwhatevers vanished and so I've only got 4 endos eating charcoal for my entire mana production.

The only drawers I've used are the 4x4 ones, and I really like them.

Any easy way to get more dirt without exploring underground tunnels and shoveling it by hand?

Can I ignore fish breeding? It looks really really annoying. I plan to ignore bees because gently caress bees

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 16, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah they're in one of the lower tabs, they're surely unlocked for you as they've already unlocked for me. I'm going to ignore that page unless someone tells me they are gating something, and then I'll just cheat them in because I've done enough bees for two lifetimes, even with genindustry it's soul crushing, and fish look like underwater bees to me.

So is there any early automation at all for harvesting or chopping threes or do I need to wait until magic unlocks?

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 16, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I think I'll just do it by hand for now, then.

I need to start figuring out how to get metal; all the mid-level botania things require manasteel. I've jumped ahead in the pack though, I haven't "hit" the botania questline yet beyond making the altar. Need to find more clay, and wow is running through the overland obnoxious with the 0.1% drop rate from dead plants.

Regrowth is really cool, I like the aesthetic and the quests are well put together but come on man tone down the grind a little

I wish mod authors would get people to play these games solo and do actual time benchmarks of where they'd like to see people in the pack after an hour, two, four, eight, I think they'd be surprised at how slow going a lot of things are and adjust accordingly. It took me more than two hours to claw my way up from a hole in the ground and another two to stop dying enough to fence off around two chunks, if I was sane I'd have quit long before that. Unlike normal mobs, those extra mobs aggro you from any distance so they just run at you from all sides.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If it means anything, I am pretty sure with a friend and I, we could nail Baby's First Space Race moon landing in 2 hours if we busted our asses. I'm actually kind of disturbed by the people that claimed to do it all in 8 hours. I'm assuming they're just expert players that use quest packs to give them a goal. I know my goal is for people to understand what they're doing, but that is just ... too successful.
I think I did baby's in about 8 hours, I don't know of a way to check in-game time though. I definitely did not do every quest, though! I completely ignored quarries, for example. Whenever you gave 2-3 choices to do something I pretty much picked the best one and moved on.

I totally believe two people who know what they are doing could get to the moon in 2 hours. I'd be a lot faster on the second runthrough for sure.