Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

TheresaJayne posted:

Well Pixelmonmod 4.0.4 released at the weekend....

A lot of work has been put into it, and more work is on going...
(I have to work on the battlecode and clean it up)

And 1.8 Thaumcraft is in the works. While I expect some mods to skip over 1.8, its just the matter of time for a good number of them, especially since who the hell knows when 1.9 will even come out (that said, the devs have stated that compared to the past few major patches, 1.9 should be the easiest to update to since its mostly consist of changes to game mechanics and added content as opposed to the massive internal rewrites of the last few patches).

I also see 1.8 leading to a heavier adoption of Forge for servers once Sponge gets up and running, what with Bukkit and such gone, which might impact the likelihood of mods updated, or new mods being created.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Why exactly didn't they move over? I know the way objects are referenced is different, is it just that the tools like forge lagged so long that nobody wanted to go to the effort? Is this likely to change in 1.9?

There was a ton of internal changes to 1.8 including how rendering works and what rendering methods were valid to use. 1.8 uses a very strict rendering method which makes implementing some mods not possible, for example the carpenters block mod, according to its dev, is not possible without certain rendering options so he can't update to 1.8 (if this is actually true, I'm unsure, it might be possible but could be incredibly time consuming).

I'm going to preface the next part that I am an amateur with java and that I do not explain poo poo very well when it comes to code, so the next part might be a bit off base, I would recomend looking at Wuppy29's notes on updating from 1.7 to 1.8 to get a better idea of the changes that need to be done with just updating a mod or Grey's posts on how block rendering and Blockstates work. Anyway, poorly worded rant ahead.

I'm currently writing a 1.8 mod and pretty much everything has changed compared to how you do things in 1.7, so updating mods requires pretty much complete rewrites of everything. On top of this how blocks are registered is now a bit of a complicated process. MC has removed metadata and relies on a new blockstate and .json files. Blockstates are a pain to work with compared to the 1.7 method and for each block you add you need a blockstate.json (which isn't too bad, say I have a singular block type with variants so it uses one block ID and uses iblockstate to define different variants for that block using the memory that can be allocated to the block, which is basically what metadata did before, I can have one blockstate.json that covers all variants of the block) and each block, regardless if it is a variant, requires its each individual model.json for rendering the block and item.json for rendering as an item when dropped/in the hand.

For example, I have a decorative block that looks like a wooden crate. This block has 10 variants (so uses data 0-9) to look like the crate contains different goods.

I have one blockstate.json that covers all variants of this block, it looks like:

{
"variants": {
"variant=closed": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_closed" },
"variant=apple": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_apple" },
"variant=berry": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_berry" },
"variant=carrot": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_carrot" },
"variant=fish": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_fish" },
"variant=grain": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_grain" },
"variant=ingot": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_ingot" },
"variant=potato": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_potato" },
"variant=sugar": { "model": "wilsonsmpblocks:crate_sugar" }
}
}

All 10 variants of this block needs its own block model.json, it looks like:

{
"parent": "block/cube_top",
"textures": {
"top": "wilsonsmpblocks:blocks/crate_apple",
"side": "wilsonsmpblocks:blocks/crate_closed"
}
}

All 10 variants of this block needs its own item model.json, it looks like:

{
"parent": "wilsonsmpblocks:block/crate_apple",
"display": {
"thirdperson": {
"rotation": [ 10, -45, 170 ],
"translation": [ 0, 1.5, -2.75 ],
"scale": [ 0.375, 0.375, 0.375 ]
}
}
}

Then of course you have the block registration so that needs, in my example, BlockCrate.java that registers the actual block with Forger and register the render, sets up via IBlockState that there are variants, and sets the blocks properties such has material type, hardness, resistance, where its located in creative tabs, etc. Then you have ItemBlockCrate.java which represents the different block subtypes.

So for a singular block that has 10 variants, you have two class files, 1 blockstate.json, 10 block model.json and 10 item.json.

Its a lot of poo poo to write and the blockstates get complicated once you start doing things like blocks that have special shapes and are not just simple cubes.

That all said, I do think I actually prefer the way things are done now even if it is more work, it diffenitly helps that I am not trying update a 1.7 mod and am more or less starting fresh (my previous work being javascript running through the CustomStuff2 mod).

As for your question on 1.9, blockstates might get a better implementation for 1.9, but the devs have stated that they are going to try not to push any internal changes to the code and more or less just push an update that consists of new content and Searge has stated that it should be easier for modders to adopt from 1.8 to 1.9 than going from say 1.4 to 1.5, 1.5 to 1.6, etc, etc.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 20, 2015

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Hey thanks a lot for the detailed response. So while it's not impossible to convert most things over to the 1.8 format, it requires learning a totally different method, and a complete recode of basic stuff, combined with people not wanting to commit to the new method if it was likely to change soon. I sort of also wonder if a lot of people decided to wait for the promised modding API (ha ha).

Pretty much, there was a bunch of hooting from a few devs that the new blockstate.json stuff was going to result in gigs work of files for things like tubes or complex blocks, Lex of Forge basically said that they are all idiots if they think that. The dev behind Thaumcraft was pretty firmly in the anti-1.8 group, but has started work on his 1.8 version and Thaumcraft pulls a lot of different graphical poo poo so if that mod can update to 1.8 intact, a good deal of the rest of them can and its more a matter, for the majority of mods, of time and effort. I don't expect every mod to update because some people just don't want to gently caress with it, but we are already starting to see brand new mods that are filling in feature gaps from the more massive mods that are missing. For example DrCyano has a mod called Power Advantage that has a very simplified item conveyers () which can pull items from inventories and push filtered items into other inventories, fluid machines () which can drain water from an above source, transport and either insert it into storage or an accepting machine or eject the water out into the world, and a steam powered base machine setup that involves producing steam to power what is essentially a macerator and a 3 slot fast processing furnace. . Power Advantage shows that what a lot of people were worried about in regards to ,json issues are perfectly doable.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 20, 2015

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Edit:
What Turtlicious said.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

TheresaJayne posted:

Well Pixelmonmod has upgraded to 1.8 and apart from some complaints from the model makers about the new format it has all been possible.
the one we are not looking forward to is the 1.9 upgrade as it will require knowledge of the new rendering system they are putting in (to improve rendering and make it less laggy)

Ho Hum, Back to Battle code....

I thought the rendering update for 1.9 got dropped since Ryan got fired from Mojang and is off working on Candy Crush instead and Ryan was specifically hired to work on rendering stuff.. Searge has been going on recently about how they are trying to include as few internal changes.

My guess for the reason they announced a combat update and switched away from massive internal rewrites was because of Ryan no longer working there, they have to either move the work onto someone else currently on the team (I doubt this) or hire another team member or contractor (Ryan started as a contractor for Mojang) whose focused on rendering.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

As far as we can tell it's some sort of packet problem. 1.7 can't take packets over an arbitrary size well, so disconnects come with having that many mods competing for data for blocks, updates, machines, other players.

If someone finds some other issue then great, but it was a problem with the pack before on launch as well.

This is the reason why we shut down the WilsonSMP server. Moment you get more than ten people in an area or too much is going on, people start dropping. We almost got a decent mod pack together for 1.8 (testing out a lot of these newer mods) and I' m working on a ton of server features, really just wait ing on BoP, because gently caress vanilla world gen is boring and ugly.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

All I know about Attack On Titan is some preview where somebody was screaming while riding a crotch rocket. Is there a crotch rocket mod?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNvYk9oWYfw

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

mechaet posted:

Not a problem we experience on our AgSkies2 server or on Modderation Official. I suspect the modpack may be at fault here.

We were getting similar issues regardless of cauldron, forge or mods. Seemed to be entirely related to the number of players and entities (have 10 or so players in a given area and spawn 15 or so zombies and players start to drop like flies), but I've touched on this before.

So I got a question, where would you guys think I'd be best off asking if someone would be interested in developing a 1 .8 mod under commission? I got a list of requirements I'm working on (mostly ore gen and custom crafting interfaces and recipes that overwrite vannila recipes) that I'd be providing textures and models for. I might have someone willing to do it, but if that falls through, I'd like to know my options.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

Hi, so a couple weeks ago I made a thing that fixed a pretty bad bug in HQM. We found another one, where someone joining your team when you have a repeatable quest on cooldown and they have that same quest ready to claim will sometimes get the quest stuck so it never comes off cooldown. I updated the thing so it fixes both bugs.

https://github.com/CannibalVox/NoTimeFix/releases/tag/2.1.0

Getting paid to make mods is the majority of my job these days. I haven't done 1.8 yet though. I guess the existing mods that do the things you're trying to do haven't been updated yet?

Nothing that has been done strikes really what I want to do mainly because the mod is tailored for the server I moderate and do texture work for. During 1.7 I was using the CustomStuff2 mod to write a javascript plugin that essentially did what I want to do, but in a limited fashion. CS2 isn't updated to 1.8 and I'd rather things be done properly than my hacky workaround. I'm currently working with another of our moderators on a mod for the server that simply just adds like 120 additional decorative blocks, and while he knows what he is doing I don't know if he wants to tackle this project. :v:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So you know how people always bitch that Mojang should just rewrite Minecraft in another language? They just announced Minecraft: Windows 10 Beta Edition which is an updated and ported version of the MCPE version that runs on C++ and uses DX11 instead of GLES.

I think this version is being maintained by the MCPE and Console devs since this versions is what will be what is run on Windows/Mac/Windows Phone/iOS/Andrioid/Xbox360/XBone/PS3/PS4/PSVita and will be the platform that MS was talking about for XBox Live integration shortly after they bought Mojang. They are also apparently boasting about player feedback via an in-game feedback mechanism, but I'll believe that when I see it.

The Java version will still be worked on via the main dev team and will continue to work in the Windows 10 environment, people who own the Java PC version will get the Windows 10 Beta version for free, otherwise its ten bucks. Tommo, the MCPE main dev, states that there are no plans for mod integration and support for now, so don't expect a modding API if they don't have something in mind from the beginning.

Honestly I feel this is a bit silly, but I guess having a platform that has a standardization of content between versions is nice and I guess this means Tommo will be getting better support which is good since he has kicked back a few improvements to the PC editions code to Jeb.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Reason posted:

No modding is really dumb.

I can kind of see why the dev is being hesitant to talk about modding. I completely agree that no modding is a dumb idea, but there are several factors the dev has to take into account: 1) Tommo is being told (by I assume MS) to make this version feature parity across all platforms, if Block A or Mob B or feature C goes into Windows 10 version, it has to go into the tablet, smartphone and console version, so if they follow through on modding on one platform, all platforms have to have it in order to keep parity and some of the markets that it will be sold on will not allow for modding. 2) Because it is written in C++ it is much much harder to reverse engineer the code so the likelihood of something like Forge popping up is incredibly small meaning that Tommo would have to create a functional API and the likelihood that it will contain a fraction of what modders need or want is also very small and I can see him seeing it as an issue where more and more time is taking away from developing the game (because one of the big selling features is an in-game mechanic to submit ideas and improvements to the game so that the game is constantly moving forward with community suggestions) and adding niche components to the API.

As a reminder, this isn't yet another iteration of MC that has been written from scratch, it is literally the MC Pocket Edition code (hence why Tommo is lead dev on this version) that is being pushed to become feature parity with the PC Java version and then probably go on to do its own thing. I mean, there are some major differences between Windows 10 version and the Java versions outside the language it is written in such as the fact that multiplayer is currently limited to seven players ir order for it to work across multiple platforms. This isn't being marketed as Minecraft 2 or even the new standard for Minecraft, but rather the "cross platform" version.

MS and Mojang seem completely fine letting the Java version continue on because they know that not everyone is going to want to switch to the Windows 10 version, they know that modding is probably never going to come to the Windows 10 version and they know that they don't want to piss off the community at large, so instead of doing something dumb and stating that MC 1.9 is the last Java version of MC and then the next version is the Windows 10 version, they are just merging all the side MC products into one.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Spice of Life is fun if you have someone on your server who wants to play chef all day and gets really excited when the miners come home and there's a bunch of neat harvestcraft meals all laid out in a little restaurant. :3:

Ex Nihilo is a fun bridging mod but I absolutely can't stand skyblocks that rely on it anymore. The first one or two times was okay. But if I have to sit around waiting for rain to fall/a tree to finally grow/silkworms to infest my one tree/enough saplings to compost to dirt so I can hopefully sieve some stone pebbles, I'm gonna loving lose it. No one enjoys that goddamn part of skyblocks! Skip that part! Or at least accelerate it! Assist it in some loving way, don't just leave ex Nihilo to do all the lifting and make your mod/quest come in like an hour later.
There's a reason Sky Den comes with a prebuilt cobblestone generator and an automator shortly after that.

Spice of Life is also fun when you calibrate it right. I think (as in I found an old config file, but I don't know if this was the one we packaged with our pack) when we were using it alongside Harvestcraft on WilsonSMP we had it calibrated to be food.modifier.formula=MAX(0, (1 - count/12))^MIN(8, food_hunger_value) with food history length set to 12. This encouraged players to grow a few different crops and to actually take advantage of the poo poo ton of food options that Harvestcraft added while also making it so that the player wasn't constantly starving and needing a million types of meals on them at any time. Also lunch boxes were awesome.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

Do ANY mods work with 1.8 at all?

Also, I started a TFC map, and my first map I made had rock salt right at the spawn. :smugdog: (Too bad it is useless before I get a chisel to make a quern)

Minecraft forum's listing shows 234 mods for 1.8 and it isn't a complete list, which is about 23% of the mods available for 1.7 (1,009). There is an interesting pattern like where the end of 1.5's life showed 783 mods and the beginning of 1.6 had 176 mods which capped at 902 before 1.7 released. There is plenty there to make a mod pack, it is just that a lot of the big name mods everyone always uses really haven't updated yet.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Dunno-Lars posted:

Someone find the patreon that has been giving this person a lot of money with no result.

No, see, it is all good because after collecting money for over a year she changed the wording of her Patreon page around November 2014. She actually lost a lot of patrons (rightly so) but is still making $300 a month on the stupid thing. :psyduck:

I mean, the thing that made RP2 nice about being a MC mod was that it was a mod for minecraft so it did have a base game and many many other mods you can mix into it to make things more interesting all the time, I can't imagine a game built around her game design philosophy because she claims that it isn't going to resemble minecraft and is just based around her ideas for RP2.

Also, she needs to fire her "paid full time artist" because poo poo looks like stock public textures or something you grab off the Unity store yo.

There are generally very few mods I feel that could stand up as a stand alone game because they would have to redesign the proverbial minecraft wheel and the only mod dev that I've seen come close to that is the TFC crew and even then TFC is definitely not for everyone. I mean, could you imagine if Greg decided to make his own minecraft-like to better see the vision of his mod made? The game would be an insufferable mess.

Like the idea has been kicked around in the past, but while I think that there are plenty of great modders in the community and some truly great mods, I don't think many of them, not even a collaboration, could make a full fledged game that would be able to stand against modded minecraft. Hell, nearly every company that has set out to make a better version of vanilla minecraft has failed.

/rant

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

KingLemming posted:

Yes and no. I literally wrote a better world renderer over lunch one day. The real issue is just that MInecraft is a market share juggernaut, and while I think a bunch of us could get together and do it, it wouldn't have the support, even if it were technically superior in every conceivable way.

Oh yeah, no, I have no doubt in my mind that a better programed, even more modder friendly, Minecraft-like can be made, Minecraft's code is dog poo poo, I think everyone can agree on that. What I have yet to see though is someone create a Minecraft-like that is mechanically superior to Minecraft. To be fair, part of this is because Minecraft has such simple design philosophies in terms to how the game plays, but on the other hand, I think that a block game that is built around, for example, the RP2 mechanics at its core would be a lovely game to play because while the dev had good ideas for the RP2 mod, they had a lot of really questionable ones as well (really ugly forced world gen for example) that would only be amplified by making the mod a stand alone game. A lot of mods share this where people flaunt over aspects of the mods but will also scratch there head in confusion at some of the modders design choice (like I thought AE2 was neat, but the whole hunting meteors for something that wasn't even a raw material is a stupid design decision) and with some mods the bad game design is much worse. With Minecraft, the chief complaints I hear is usually the crap quailty of code and mobs and combat are really poorly done, the rest of the game mechanics are more or less come to the point as being the standard for this kind of game, but nobody can even get the basics right in their Minecraft-like and I've seen very few even try to address what Minecraft does wrong.

It is kind of like how Terraria and Starbound are, conceptually, more or less the same but Starbound is, in its current state, a much worse game mechanically and design wise.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So it seems (basing this on hearsay) that the changes to block models in the 1.9 snapshot released today is a decent improvement.

-Models can be put together based on BlockState attributes (fences has used this to reduce their number of block models by nearly 300 ).
-Better rotation and translation handling.
-Models can be set to change based on being used in the head slot or new off hand slot.
-Parent and elements tags can now coexist.
-Support for different model/textures based on damage values, stack sixes and item states.

Out of all of them, the first item seems the biggest in terms of modding, hopefully these changes help with some of the complaints modders have with the system 1.8 introduced.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Edminster posted:

It definitely is, click the screens for datascans. At some point I think there'll be something on the table but for now nothing.

The data-scans are really well done, I had an immediate chuckle at the line "scanning air blocks". :v:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

how many bear asses do you need for that quest

Twenty, it is always twenty.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Huh, looks like crystals in the 1.8 version of Thaumcraft are going to be a bit different than in previous versions.

Models are still a work in progress.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 2, 2015

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

wasn't a picture posted of the taint being changed a bit in the new version, too? it'll be interesting if trees aren't mulched by the taint. i'd like to see it in blightfall, honestly, because having entire forests start degrading the second you load the chunk is pretty dumb.

He has some interesting comments on this as there is no longer like a "tainted dirt" or "tainted stone" block as of right now, everything tainted eventually turns into a new generic tainted block that effectively turns to dust if you try to remove the taint if it gets that bad.

Azanor posted:

The TC5 incarnation of taint harkens back to the TC2 version. It is virulent and if properly fed it spreads very aggressively. What I mean by fed is as follows: If the flux level in the aura reaches sufficient amounts certain events occur - one of them is basically a tainted rain cloud like in the picture above which seeds flux goo puddles in an area. This however does use up some of the flux in the aura. The puddles have a good chance of leaving taint fibres behind once they evaporate.
Taint fibres spread, but they consume more flux from the aura to do so. This means as long as no new flux is added the fibres will eventually stop spreading and if the flux levels get low enough the fibres will start dying. However if allowed to spread too much it can easily become self-sustaining by creating things that spawns its own flux that in turn allows the fibres to spread further. Once more flux is created than the fibres can consume by spreading a snowball effect occurs.

In the above picture I had heavily seeded an area to test taint, but after finishing moved about 5 chunks away to test other things. It had reached my new testing area within around one hour. Granted - they original spot had crazy amounts of flux pumped into it for my testing so it had a big helping hand, but still.

Technically taint should perform slightly better than TC4 taint since I removed a bunch of checks on when taint is allowed to grow or not.

Blocks do not remember what they were so once the taint gets removed it turns into what is effectively dust. The ethereal bloom just forces this change.
This means that even when you de-taint a region you are left with a barren wasteland of dusty dunes.
I'm still playing around with this, but having the actual taint blocks remember what they were would be a server killer - especially now that almost every block can become tainted.

Things like the Etheral Bloom will still exist and will revert a tainted biome back to whatever it was on default worldgen, but it will not revert fully tainted blocks.

Honestly the taint in TC5 sounds pretty manageable with a decently serious consequence if you gently caress up to much and don't keep an eye on how far you let things get bad.

Also in the first image, the water is all hosed up, that image was taken from a build where taint could convert water into flux goo, but Azanor backed off on the idea as it got out of hand way to fast and was a killer performance wise.

Gotta say, I like the way the tainted trees are looking, it is a lot more interesting visually.

Azanor is also apparently trying to get a Beta ready for this soon.

Mzbundifund posted:

I hope you can grow crystals, that would be super cool.

Looks like you're in luck.

Azanor posted:

-Each crystal in a block is not on a 1-to-1 basis, but the more crystals there are, the more shards you will get.
-Yes, they grow and spread if the aura is high enough (using vis), and if the aura dips they will shrink again (putting vis back in the aura, though they will never die completely)
-There will be a way to plant them as well as a way to harvest them without breaking the block.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 2, 2015

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

that new taint looks and sounds pretty neat, but it leaving areas a dusty wasteland could be worrying for something like blightfall. unless blightfall implements a lot of stuff to help you re-terraform areas.

Yeah I don't see TC5 working with a straight Blightfall setting at all since the blocks no longer keep track of what they used to be once fully tainted.

It might be possible with a map that was made to have a high "natural" taint level across all chunks so that the weird taint rain and fibres are growing everywhere. You'd have to design the gameplay around duel objectives: 1) Acquiring some specific longterm goal across the map that as you progress dumps more taint into the world which starts the process of the taint becoming more and more self sufficient and 2) Keeping the taint under control while you do Objective 1 as too many chunks fully tainted (as it sounds like Azanor is letting most block be taintable this time around) could make your main objective impossible. Throw an optional third objective after the primary is done which is to completely clean up the world, or try to.

Heck, if you had someone to make a companion mod, you could probably do something interesting with the fact that it leaves a wastland. A setup where the world is fully tainted, but oh you've dealt with this in the past, and try to go about reclaiming the world only to find out that the taint here is much much worse and thus have to figure out how to restore the world after cleansing the taint.

It is doable, it would just require a lot of work and re-thinking, which might be honestly good for Blightfall to keep it from getting stale like the Material Energy maps did.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So I've come to the conclusion that Harvestcraft is kind of a cluster gently caress of bad code and unfulfilling features and I am helping provide art assets (I'm really behind on this front :negative: ) and acting as sounding board for ideas for a bud's mod that is trying to make a farming/cooking mod similar to Harvestcraft but not terrible. So far he has some neat ideas to spice up cooking and make it fun with the basic goal of "the mod is as deep and complex as you let it get".

What kind of features and such do you guys think are missing from most farming/cooking mods and where do you think most fail at? The mod is still at a very early stage so now is the time for working on ideas.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 16, 2015

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Magres posted:

Refuge is like half finished.

I'd make it like Witchery potion brewing in a microcosm. Witchery potions can be crazily complex because you can make multi-stage six effect insanity hellbrews if you really dig into it, or you can make fairly simple, easy potions. Have the foods you farm be associated with various effects (be creative! don't stick the the standard run fast, jump high, hit hard, tank hits, and heal lots potions - some interesting effects witchery can do is a potion that tills land, plants seeds, forcibly grows the seeds, then harvests them, and is a big splash potion you can throw) that you can stack up. Possibly with some negatives, with other crops that offset negatives, etc etc

Just god don't make it include hunger nerfs

Basically the idea is that, since this is planned to be used in a server environment, having basic stuff you can do with all the crops that mimic vanilla foods, but you can then use additional tools that further refines the food and opens up more recipes. And yeah, the idea is that more complex or resource intensive foods will give buffs or have various benefits. One neat thing he is doing is he has this system that is just being called off hand as miniblocks, for example there is a heating element that is more or less a stove top, it consumes food and turns on, doesn't do anything by itself, but you can right click different miniblocks on top of it and this dynamically changes the GUI and what foods you can cook. Currently planned is a skillet, saucepan, kettle and pot.

There are also other tool stations like a cutting board.

President Ark posted:

-produce storage and crafting
-a reason to craft the complex foods (mild buffs based on ingredients, i.e. spicy food makes you hit harder???)
-plants that get planted on water (rice, hydroponics)

We really liked how growthcraft handled rice, where you used a shovel to dig tilled earth and then filled it with buckets of water to make a rice field, that is something we would like to do.

Also, what did you mean by produce storage, any examples?

Enzer fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 16, 2015

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I know this isn't going to be a common viewpoint, especially for people playing in this thread, but on a server I played with some friends, Pam's HarvestCraft filled a really fun role. A friend of mine would go hiking every morning to various towns and biomes to bring back seeds and crops, then, when she had enough gathered up, built a little restaurant with a decorated kitchen, cultivated a garden in the back of cinnamon trees, fruit orchards, herbs and veggies, and proceeded to make a variety of meals for the entire server. She'd put up menu signs and "meals of the day" and stock individual chests for people to come in and grab their portions, and really loved the complex recipes and the huge variety of foods to make. We were playing with Spice of Life, but only over a fairly short list of remembered recipes (unlike Blightfall's huge list that penalizes you for eating bread twice in a month).
In the end, it wasn't a huge difference. Food is all functionally the same, it's just a matter of how much hunger/saturation it fulfills, and even that's mostly just fixing problems that Spice of Life introduces, without which you could easily just stock up on bread or steaks forever.

But it felt really nice, and she had a lot of fun being the server's cook, no matter how long we seemed to play. And it was always nice to come back from a small mining party to find a special treat like saltwater taffy accompanying a handmade meal. :3:

I know it's not what most people would want or care about, and it wasn't efficient in the way tech mods are or anything, but it was fun for what we played.

We had a few players on our server that did the exact same thing (by the way, was that player named Emtheory?). The guy coding this mod is designing it around our server's principles (enhancing vanilla minecraft by fleshing out everything and filling in the gaps). We end up not playing with any tech mods or straight up magic mods. We saw mods more of a thing to allow our players to further build up the world, make a little bit more alive, and then we would go around and install npcs, quests and do server wide events. We also used to run a modified version of Spice of Life that encouraged variety in your diet but didn't heavily penalize you if you ate nothing but the basic vanilla foods. We've been kicking around the idea of a baked in nutritional system, but nothing that would outright penalize the person who doesn't want to worry about farming and such.

Harvestcraft worked well enough, but there were some parts of it that came off as rather clunky and could be tightened up. Since Pam has no interest in updating to 1.8 (apparently she is getting MrCrayFish to update the mod to 1.8?) and our server is relaunching with a 1.8 modpack, we've decided to write a few mods to basically cover everything we've felt were missing, so far I have done a mod that adds a poo poo ton of additional building blocks and one that overhauls crafting and material progression. One of our members has offered to make a farming/cooking overhaul, originally it was going to be a straight port of Harvestcraft, but after going over the mod a second time it was determined that there wasn't really anything we were interested in keeping. The mod is going to be fairly low tech and not look out of place alongside vanilla minecraft.

I agree about liquid storage being an issue, one of the blocks we have a cistern that acts as a straight infinite water source you can use nearby.. ingredients that use milk will probably be dealt with on a per item basis. I mostly see you needed it for things like cheese or butter and we are already kicking around the idea of a churn for butter, so maybe we will have the churn capable of holding multiple buckets of milk? We want to play with brewing down the line (we already have bee keeping figured out and more or less implemented plus barley, so throw in hops plus vanilla wheat and you have a few types of alcohol that we can play with right off the bat), but if we are already going to have a keg item, it could probably use that to store other liquids as well and then maybe have a stackable container for liquids to be used in recipes. Honestly we are not to concerned about recipes as I think he isn't going for straight 3x3 crafting grids for stuff so right now its more tool implementation and deciding on what crops he wants to work with and if we want certain plants to require some upkeep (kicking around the idea that fruit trees need to be tended to from time to time for optimum production) for those who find farming games to be more interesting and would rather focus on that kind of stuff.

I guess it is kind of hard asking for input because the mod needs to fill a very specific niche: We have mods designed for the builders, mods designed for those who like to explore and do quests, mods to make crafting more interesting and resources more valuable and give a reason to explore more dangerous areas (I've posted about this at length in the general minecraft thread), and this will be a mod for those who like to farm and cook.

That said we now have a few new things to consider and the Cooking for Blockheads wasn't something we were aware of so that has some interesting ideas to look at so thanks for that.

ptroll posted:

I want a mod that makes literally everything that doesn't currently have a use when you right click edible

tonight's main course is iron ingots with a side of wooden doors :chef:

But really having a bunch of unconventional items in food recipes to give weird effects might be fun. What happens if you sprinkle in a little redstone into your flour, or mix some pyrotheum dust into your curry?

It is for 1.6.2, but there was a Bear Grylls Mod that allowed you to eat every item in the game.

We will probably stick to conventional food types, but maybe I'll suggest a few weird items that grow on mushroom islands or in the nether. A few nether crops that help with surviving in there longer actually might be pretty nice to have.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i don't think you'll find a shortage of people here who would be willing to heavily invest in something incredibly pointless in the grand scheme of things, but that situation kinda depends on a lot of stuff that a fair amount of players probably don't have access to. a big one being having multiple players around who are able to go out and do other important things while you're presumably cooking every kind of dish in existence instead of, well, doing anything else. it's a pretty large-scale mod competing with a shitload of other large-scale mods, most of which have more direct and important functions when it comes to progressing. most would probably rather be able to focus more on the other things and occasionally take the time to crank out some random junk to eat to stay alive instead of having to worry about some nebulous list of what they may or may not have eaten in the last 30 or so ingame days while being swamped with a gigantic list of food items that are only different in terms of name and sprite.

i'm sure it's cool to have the people available to where someone can entirely focus on some poo poo like cooking, because god knows i've sat there and bred bees like a dumbshit while my friends delved into thaumcraft or explored the world, but i feel like a lot of players would appreciate a cooking mod that caters more towards giving interesting effects that will compliment a more active playstyle than some Real Life Simulation Mod that 'accurately' portrays the process of making scrambled eggs and subsequent inability to eat more of them due to having some within the past month.

Going off this, we don't want farming and cooking to be a chore, but optional enjoyable gameplay, something that is fun to do, but there is a pretty fine balance of scratching the harvestmoon itch and making poo poo boring and frustrating. We encourage players (thought they are certainly free to run off and do their own thing) to group together and make and expand settlements because it gives us a basis to introduce stories and run events and give us additional opportunities for the admins to interact with the playerbase (for example on one of our maps we had two very large cities fairly close to each other, Bellshire and Baia Mare. Baia Mare, despite being very large, ended up being abandoned and so after a few months we claimed it for event use and had a bunch of npc soldiers from Baia Mare attack Bellshire and the players had to defend and then go raid Baia Mare where we introduced additional plot twists. After the event we then held a build event to turn the city into ruins and then filled it with respawning npc mobs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=293kOtIutco ). Our players typically form distinct groupings and everyone ends up figuring out what they are good at and then being the area's main architect or cook or what have you.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 16, 2015

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

you are thinking of creative mode

peaceful uses standard survival rules, there are just no monsters

Your hunger bar doesn't deplete in peaceful mode: "The Food Bar never depletes and players cannot eat anything except golden apples, unless the player has switched to Peaceful when their Food Bar was below the maximum. If it is below the maximum, it quickly regenerates."

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

tfc doesn't use the vanilla hunger rules

Ah, wasn't aware of that.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
First sneak peek of the golem changes for Thaumcraft 5 was posted on youtube by Azanor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xd28UOZLS0

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So uh, anybody know how to use CustomNPCs? I put lolmer in the BFSF Dad Bar, but could not figure out how to sit him in a stool like a good dad.

I jumped a little when it did the default "Hello RockoBonaparte" in chat when I rclicked him. I did not know that was a thing and I was going to be all "lolmer get out of my computers!" I need to do this stuff at a sane hour.

EDIT: Never mind, the Mounter tool is for something different.

What you can do is shift right click the NPC Wand while looking at a chair or what have you to spawn an NPC on top of it. After that go to the AI Tab, find the Movement button, then in the menu that pops up change "Animation" to Sitting. You can then set "Rotation" to either a manual static number, set the NPC to "Stalk" nearby players (will cause the npc to spin 360 in their chair, so better when on a stool) or set a specific rotation for their head. The default Rotation setting causes them to spin around in their seat at random.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 30, 2015

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So apparently Forge for 1.9 was released a few hours ago and mods are already porting over (and have public releases) including a few of the larger ones like Psi, Blood Magic and Biomes O Plenty. I know that compared to most previous releases, 18->1.9 had very few engine changes, but this feels like the fastest update time between major versions in a very long time.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

McFrugal posted:

If you get laid off you get unemployment. Jaded is not going to die homeless in the streets.

The issue seems more medical. Jaded was apparently going to go in for kidney surgery, which unless I'm reading this wrong, she will not survive if she does not get it done. With being laid off of by Curse, her insurance which would pay for said operation is gone. As Curse had just required her to move to CA, she has not lived in CA long enough to qualify for state medical aid. She can go the VA route, but she claims that she is on a 1-2 year waiting period and she does not have that kind of time. The situation is very hosed from what information she has given out. She might be able move back to her home state, hope that the time living in CA hasn't been long enough that she'd have a long waiting period to get on state medical (and that is even assuming it would cover the surgery) or attempt to get the surgery with what money she has with no insurance, but be left with massive debt and still have the issue of paying for her other medications.

I am sure there is a way through all this and I personally believe she needs to swallow her pride and do what others have suggested which is start up a gofundme, but I can also see how having this all dumped on you at once could make your outlook on life pretty bleak.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So Minecon is the next two days and outside revealing the changelog for 1.11 (which I am sure none of you guys really care about :v: ), on Sunday the 25th starting at 3:30PM PDT Mojang is having this panel "Extensions for Minecraft: Our plans for Plugins and Add-Ons" and have slotted themselves an hour for just this subject.

Should be good for a chuckle at the very least.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

It's a very nice screwdriver they're handing out, but doesn't really compare with the huge toolbox that is existing Minecraft Modding.
Probably infinitely easier to use, but obviously much more limited in what it can do.

I guess it's to be expected that full blown modding as we know it was never going to get official support, but at least we can finally stop wondering.

To be fair, this is their first iteration of tools that has to be compatible with the Pocket Edition.

"We’ll be continuing to develop Add-Ons over the next year as we work towards a fully customizable Minecraft. In the coming months we’ll be working on unlocking behavior change for blocks, and even more ways you can modify gameplay. Let us know what you think about the Add-Ons system and what you’d like to see at feedback.minecraft.net."

So things will get better for this tool, but I expect it will stay pretty simple just to keep it from breaking the Pocket platform.

What the Java devs are planning will be discussed tomorrow at 3:30 PM PDT. I expect it to be similar in most regards, as the team has been, for years now, stating that they are developing a Plugin API that is based on their Resource Pack system and will allow changes and additions via JSON files as opposed to a Modding API that focuses on altering and adding new class files.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Since I didn't see it mentioned here, it has apparently been pointed out by the author of Tinker's Construct that his account was hacked and that version 2.5.4 is a trojan.

Someone on the FTB Reddit posted:

It seems to be a ready-made Java trojan, configured to send webcam data to a specific Internet address and mine cryptocurrency. It also seems to allow some degree of machine control, but I'm not sure what it involves exactly - I see references to message boxes and input hooks.

Someone on the FTB Reddit posted:

It also extracts parts of itself into the user's home directory and tries to connect to other computers on the local network.

It also does more than just send webcam data, it attempts to disable the camera indicator light that's present on many webcams.

https://twitter.com/bonusboni/status/784729074753298433

Version 2.5.5 is apparently the actual mod.

This is kind of amusing comming after Curse laid off the team who did reviewed mods being uploaded to curseforge. The file doesn't contain a single bit of TC code in order to mask itself, just a straight up virus.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 9, 2016

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

Ahahahah, holy gently caress. I'm done trying to manage any modded poo poo until this is more stable. People can't even get their 1.10 mod versions to run without making GBS threads themselves half the time yet and here we go again splitting all the mod versions across 4 loving variants now with 1.7, 8,10 and now 11.

Modders are just going to have to decide on a version to stick to for a while as Mojang has repeatedly stated since before 1.10's release that they are transitioning to smaller updates on shorter dev cycles. I forget the exact version number they gave, but they essentially said that if people wanted to wait to update for similar content equal to the 1.7 or 1.9 updates that they probably need to wait till 1.14/16 (as in going from 1.10 to that).

I mean, to go from 1.8 to 1.9 it took Mojang 545 days, they have to balance both types of players: those who mod and those who don't. 1.3 years (not even including bug patches after release) to wait for an update kind of sucks if you are not invested in mods, but they do understand that updating between versions sucks for modders (Mojang in the past few months has hired on additional developers to work on MC Java version and now three people of the team are involved in the modding community: Searge of MCP, RazzleberryFox of DecoCraft, ProfMobius of a ton of different mods and MCP as well, so they have plenty of people there with first hand experience of this issue).

That said, 1.9 to 1.10 and 1.10 to 1.11 both took roughly four months, so their estimate of 1.14-1.16 puts them, if they stay this course, at around 600 days, similar to what 1.8 to 1.9 took. So yeah, they are just going to have to buckle down until the actual modding community thinks that enough additional content has been added to justify moving on and personally while 1.11 adds some neat concepts, its not enough to justify updating my own projects to (unless updating is stupid easy like 1.8 to 1.10 was), this isn't a new situation and nobody should be surprised.

Here is the video they released for the patch as Mojang dislikes changelogs outside of pre-release patches. My guess is that they view this mostly as a game for children and kids don't want to read thirty pages of listed bug fixes. The video is pretty poo poo because it doesn't cover everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsDOKrQBwLI

Enzer fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 15, 2016

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Bukkit, Craftbukkit, Spigot and Forge (beta) for 1.11 have been released already, that was pretty fast. :toot:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Azanor has posted a video about Thaumcraft 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggYoL_IaV9k

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fortis posted:

The way to play with Grimoire of Gaia is turn off all the anime titty monsters except maybe the spider queen mob (who is enough spider to not be TOO egregious). There are a bunch of neat non-anime-girl mobs that make things interesting.

It is also fairly easy to retexture the more interesting anime-girl mobs so that they are no longer anime titty monsters, removing a section of the texture sheet removes the breasts from the models and a lot of them are easily cleaned up by removing flesh tones.

I ended up retexturing most of the mobs and adjusting the color pallet for the rest for the old WilsonSMP server, I should still have these textures kicking around somewhere.

A lot of these were taken while I was in the middle of adjusting textures so things like over sized eyes and other minor issues were cleaned up after the fact.

Dullahan

Cyclops

Centaur

Anubis

Succubus (Used the resource pack to just rename this mob all together)

Valkyrie (Again, renamed)

Witch Doctor

I think this was originally called a Hunter? Renamed it to Orc Hunter to fit with SMP Revival which has Zombies in certain biomes textured as orcs.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 15, 2017

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

McFrugal posted:

Please make this resource pack available to the public. Heck, maybe the mod author would be willing to make it official? Oh wait, you didn't retexture all of them. Still, it'd be nice.

Ha, I have a slight feeling that the mod author would be offended by the fact that I removed the breasts from every mob I retextured. :v:

I'll host if off my dropbox for now, so download here.

But yeah, sure, the following mobs have new or slightly tweaked textures:

• Anubis (Changed from Big Titted Anime Girl to Mummy Pharaoh)
  • Banshee (Altered color palette)
  • Bone Knight (Alteration to color palette and changed to match SMP Revival Skeletons)
  • Cobble and Cobblestone Golem (Very slight change, mostly a color correction)
  • Cockatrice (Alteration to color palette)
  • Creep (Altered to match SMP Revival's creepers)
  • Cyclops (Removed breasts and weird horn bits. Made the mob appear gender neutral. Reskinned armor to use darker colors instead of the eye catching blue the original had)
  • Dhampir (Toned down the anime, removed breasts, covered up the massive amount of excess skin. Shifted colors a bit to be a bit more subdue, clothing uses a dark lavender highlights instead of bright red)
  • Dryad (Removed tits, shifted color palette, wood texture now matches SMP Revival's oak logs)
  • Dullahan (Removed tits, made the mob into a gender neutral undead, completely redesigned the armor)
  • Ender Eye (Slight changes to color use and made the mob's Eye match the SMP Revival Eye of Ender item)
  • Flesh Litch (Redesigned to match SMP Revival Zombies)
  • Gryphon (Slight shift in color palette)
  • Harpy (Slight shift in color palette, covered up excess flesh to make the mob more bird like, removed breasts)
  • Hunter (No longer a scantily clad woman. Hunters are now Orcs (based on an edit I had made to SMP's Orc Zombie textuers) and wear bone masks and a ribcage armor)
  • Mimic (Retextured to match SMP Revival chests, made the teeth a bit more organic looking and the inside a bit more fleshy)
  • Naga (Change to color palette, gave the Naga's pauldrons a more bronze color and made the shield to be made from bronze and prismarine based off the SMP Revival Prismarine blocks)
  • Shaman (Changed from a scantily clad women to a tattooed male witch doctor. Edits were done to match the custom Witch texture I made for the WilsonSMP version of SMP Revival)
  • Sharko (Change to color palette, uses a darker and more subdued gray blue, mostly to match the ocean water used in SMP Revival)
  • Spriggan (Spriggans are now entirely made of wood, has bark pattern changes to match SMP Revival oak logs and have been desaturated a bit to look a little dried out)
  • Succubus (Complete change of texture design, threw out the idea of it being a succubus and instead re-purposed the mob to be used in relation to something WilsonSMP was doing with Thaumcraft. Mob is renamed to Ascended Crimson Cultist in language files)
  • Swamper (Change to color palette)
  • Valkyrie (Complete change of texture design, threw out the idea of it being a valkyrie and instead re-purposed the mob to be used in relation to something WilsonSMP was doing with Thaumcraft. Mob is renamed to Ascended Crimson Knight in language files)
  • Vampire (Removed breasts, covered up excess skin, removed some excess secondary layer accessories, changed bright red parts of the texture to purple, mob was re-purposed to be used in relation to a plot event for WilsonSMP . Mob is renamed to The Oracle in language files)

The rest of the mobs are things I didn't bother with because we were not going to use them on the WilsonSMP server or where more or less fine untouched. Glancing at the wiki it seems the mod author has added more mobs to the project, this texture pack is based on the 1.8 version of the mod. Reverting textures is as simple as deleting them from the zip file. This resource pack also contains an edited language file for ENG language, several items and mobs were renamed so if that bothers you, it can be fixed by deleting the en_US.lang file located in \assets\grimoireofgaia\lang.

I have not tested this with use with the 1.10 version of the mod, I do not know if the mod author has renamed files or such things that would cause incompatabilities. There is also a chance that the resource pack is not compatible with vesion 1.10 of minecraft, if the game is giving you such an error, open up the resource pack and you'll see a file called pack.mcmeta. Open that file with something like Notepad++ and it should look like this:

code:
{
  "pack": {
    "pack_format": 1,
    "description": "GoG textures for use with SMP\u0027s Revival: Sundered Edition"
  }
}
You'll want to edit it so it reads instead:

code:
{
  "pack": {
    "pack_format": 2,
    "description": "GoG textures for use with SMP\u0027s Revival: Sundered Edition"
  }
}
I do not have a version of SMP Revival used by the WilsonSMP server available at this time. However I am currently working on a complete overhaul of the resource pack that I will be releasing hopefully soonish under the name of SMP Revival: Sundered Edition for both the 1.10 and soon to be released 1.12 version of Minecraft. All the changes they did to the GUI was a real bitch but it was enough to push me to redesign all the GUI elements (The SMP Revival item grid had been off by one pixel for years and had always driven me mad).

If I have time after that I might do texture support for whatever the current list of popular mods are.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 16, 2017

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fortis posted:

So far my only problem with having my pack on Curse is that I can't include OptiFine. Yeah yeah worst mod ever, etc etc but it's the only drat way to do CTM and custom item textures post-1.7.10 and that poo poo's rad. I wish someone would make a Forge mod that only adds CTM and CIT capabilities without doing all the rendering fuckery that OF does, but whatcha gonna do.

It's not really a showstopper though, and it says more about OF's stupid license than anything.

As someone whose been fiddling and slowly adding onto a resource pack (14,825 images/property files organized across 653 folders for a MC 1.8 edition with minor mod support) for several years, I would kill for a non-optifine version of CTM and CIT. I was so sad when MCpatcher just kind of died (even though it was a bitch to package in a launcher).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

lolmer posted:

Ask, and ye shall receive: Connected Texture Mod (now required by Chisel to handle CTM, with Chisel's CTM code being removed).

See, while this is nice, its lacking a bunch of options still and lol if I'm also going to rewrite from scratch several thousand property files at this point. :v: Maybe it'll get fleshed out in the future since it still looks fairly new.

The optifine dev was at least nice enough to not really touch the MCpatcher format of doing CTM (heck you can even keep the directory named MCPatcher and it will recognize it just fine).

I currently use Optifine for:

• Custom biome tinting.
  • Custom biome color tinting applied to specific blocks.
  • Custom block textures depending on biomes (desert biomes get different stone textures, mossy blocks are a bit more mossier in swamp/jungle biomes, sand looks different depending if its in the desert, beach or river bank, etc).
  • Custom water colors applied by biome.
  • Custom lightmap color.
  • Custom font.
  • Varied mob skins depending on biome and/or where the mob is located in the Y axis.
  • Custom skymap layers.
  • Randomized textures block texture selection to break up patterns.
  • "Grid" based connect textures.
  • Vertical only connected textures.
  • Horizontal only connected textures.
  • Custom textures resulting from stacking certain blocks.
  • Custom item textures based on stack size.

I'm sure I'm missing some more things in there, but you get the idea.