Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

bigperm posted:

What about 1.8 makes you want to play it over 1.7.10?

Frankly it sounds like the performance improvements would be worth it in and of themselves.

I can't play any of these big modpacks without my FPS chugging and stuttering, and I've got a perfectly fine gaming PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Harvester + Autonomous Activator + Munchdew if you don't want to involve an ME network.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

So, uh, my question kinda got swept away so I'll add some more information.

Me and my friends are looking for a modpack to all play with. None of us know much about the modscene, but we remember some mods we used to play with that we generally want again, but hopefully with some other new stuff too.

We like IC2 and Buildcraft, which I think has the pipe systems. We also found the ComputerCraft mod pretty cool, and anything that adds firearms or lasers or stuff like it (we used to have muskets/flintlocks, I think) are cool.

Most importantly in addition to those couple things though we want some kind of new world exploration. Some kind of dimensional mod (I remember an old mod where you went to a magical plane filled with gigantic trees and towers that was cool) would be nice, I also hear theres some kind of space-faring mod now too.

Does anyone have any suggestions based on those factors? We won't be playing for a while so its not ultra urgent but its hard to get 5 people to all agree on the same pack. I can't find anything that has what we all want especially since all the top packs for the technic launcher seem to be either pokemon or zombie based.

Sounds like you're looking for your basic kitchen sink pack.

Resonant Rise has a butt ton of mods in it and is quite customizable. It has Grimoire of Gaia 3 in it though which adds a bunch of really tough mobs, so if a very dangerous overworld isn't something you're into, you could disable it.

IC2 and Buildcraft are largely depreciated for other tech mods at this point, like Thermal Expansion or Mekanism. If you really want the old favourites, Tekkit Legends has those.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Do the packs you guys mentioned, if they don't feature IC2, at least feature some sort of energy generation system? I like setting up solar panels/water mills and stuff to power my base, slowly advancing to new technologies and hunting for oil as I gather resources.

Any kitchen sink pack will. Thermal Expansion's Redstone Flux electricity system is largely the current standard, and lots of mods have compatibility with it, although other power types exist.

For the magically minded, Botania is a flower-based magic mod that has features similar to a tech mod including Mana that is similar to electricity.

Other cool tech mods include Immersive Engineering, Mekanism, and RotaryCraft.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

It'll be a hard sell to have to make everyone learn a bunch of new stuff with no baseline but it might be worth it.

There are parallels. It's not like learning modded Minecraft over from scratch. Cables and pipes are pretty similar across mods. A Thermal Expansion Pulverizer is essentially the same as an IC2 Macerator, which is essentially the same as a Mekanism Enrichment Chamber.

StealthArcher posted:

Ugaha, probably not if you mean running it on your pc and host via lan across hamachi or similar. The packs are quite massive and pretty much demand actual server hardware to run multiplayer instances.

Yeah, you'll want hosting. If you want dirt cheap Minecraft hosting with no frills, GGServers is the cheapest out there. I'd never suggest it for people who want support or customer service or any kind of quality but if you want the lowest available price so you and some friends can gently caress around for a few months it's there.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 24, 2015

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

bigperm posted:

I think we already decided that the fantasy goon mod was 'Big Trees', a mod with trees that ruin the balance of other mods, such as supplying mana, RF, attracting good stat bees, killing mobs in range, etc.

That being said, I'm not going to 1.8 until TE does. :smugbert:

Like Botania with trees instead of flowers. I'd be super pumped.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

There was a mod that someone made that let you stomp around in a Final Fantasy 3 magitek armor, I lost the mod when my computer got wiped, but the mod author browses this thread.

drat, when I was learning to mod this was the idea I was working towards.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

If I was going to pay for a VPS so I could run a modded server with a big kitchen sink pack in it, how much RAM would I need?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, I always play this poo poo single player. I already have performance issues in single player -- I can't imagine doing it when I gotta share the server with a bunch of other nerds.

Your performance should actually be better when you're on a server since you're not running both the server and the client on the same PC. Sometimes I run a server on my laptop and play on there when I'm playing a particularly massive modpack, and it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

FTB Interactions has had a big 2.0 update on their launcher, looks kinda interesting. Anybody tried it?