Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have TFC questions.

I generally just use a map mod and maybe smartmoving. There isn't a lot that fits TFC. I would love to see a tech mod for TFC, though, with brass tubes, copper and lead pipes, wiring, steam hammers, etc. Right now once you start climbing the metal tech tiers, it is very repetitive.

I would also like to make stairs in the crafting matrix. Maybe wood ones, with a saw, and keep stone ones made in place with the chisel. I know of no solution.

For winter, make sure you have enough food stored: crops will die, water will freeze.

When you get up to red steel, you can make buckets that move water source blocks. Until then, carving out river banks and lake beaches is all you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Magres posted:

I've had taint creep in, kill a chicken, then had a tainted chicken attack me.

After that I started keeping my critters underground in a smaller room centered under the silverwood, just to be safe

I was fortunate to have some cows spawn early. I bred them until I had a thriving cow population. Then one day after mining I returned to the surface and my cow pen was full of beef and leather and one tainted cow. :(

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009
I was trying to organize my blightfall inventory using Storage Drawers but am unable to move the drawers with a JABBA dolly, despite both JABBA and Storage Drawers saying it should be possible. Is this explicitly turned off or something?

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

More of a vanilla minecraft thing I suppose, but does anyone have any good tips on monster closet design? The current one I have for Garden of Glass is getting zero spiders and I'm wondering if I did something wrong.

pre:
XXXXXXXXX
X-------X
X-xxxxx-X
X-xooox-X
X-xooox-X
X-xooox-X
X-xxxxx-X
X-------X
XXXXXXXXX
Xes are the outer wall; dashes are where I walk to hit things; xes are a cobble, slab, half-block gap,cobble-to-ceiling wall to let me see the inner area without being attacked. The inner area is unlit, and is 3x3x3 volume inside.

This works, but it's really not spawning any spiders at all seemingly, so I'm shafted for string (and for now, therefore wool). Also I have to break the cobble+slab inner wall and part of the raised inner cobble floor to get pickups (though I'm aware a hopperhock will solve that when I can make them).

Spiders will track you through walls, so instead of making a walkway around the spawning area, just make a linear walkway with the spawning area on one side. Back in Sky Den, I made a spider spawning area about 16x16 with a walkway along one side and it worked great (though I occasionally had to break in to pick up some drops). They only need 1 block vertical height, as long as the ceiling is a transparent block - I used fenceposts (so floor, 1 block air, 1 block fenceposts, 1 block opaque roof). This stops non-spider mobs from spawning in it.

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

An electrical power systems mod where you have to worry about voltage and amps for certain parts of your network would be pretty cool. Oh this control bus runs on 24V direct current, gotta put in a transformer or it'll blow up. High-voltage power lines for long transmissions etc. I'm an electrician so it would be the coolest poo poo, contrary to the nuclear engineer guy I don't mind taking work into my games :v:

And if you pick up a machine without a wrench it breaks into just a machine block. And it also breaks into a machine block 1 time in 10 if you use a wrench, unless you use an electric wrench, in which case it still breaks into a machine block 1 time in 10 unless you change the mode of the electric wrench.

Did anyone ever use the high-voltage lines in IC2? Everyone I know converted to glass fiber lines asap - usually progressing to those from copper.

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Wolfsbane posted:

I decided to fire up the AT launcher yesterday for some reason, and there's an interesting new HQM pack called Divergence. It claims to be inspired by Terrafirmacraft and Gregtech, so I imagine it's going to get grindy as gently caress at some point, but for now it's an interesting change of pace. They're using some mod I'm not familiar with to gate stuff behind quests super hard, to the point you can't even place blocks in the world if you haven't unlocked them. There's also hydration and encumbrance, but they seem pretty forgiving so far. Anyway, check it out if you've finished Blightfall and want something a bit different.

I tried this a while back. It has a somewhat cool gating method (you need to complete quests to even be able to craft certain things - recipes are locked until you unlock that tech). Other than that, it is grindy as hell. For example, to make manasteel in botania, you don't use iron. You use mana-infused ingots. Mana-infused ingots are really rare: they seem more rare than diamonds in vanilla MC, yet botania is made assuming manasteel is common like iron. It also has terrible performance, as it is checking all the blocks for falling, etc. If one person is generating new chunks, everyone will be getting multi-second block lag that doesn't go away until the server restarts.

Basically, take everything you like about TFC and gregtech (if anything) and throw it away. What's left is divergence.

I guess it does have going for it that it doesn't actually include TFC or gregtech.

Your Lottery fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

McFrugal posted:

TechnodeFirmaCraft is a modpack that adds more tech tiers to TFC, and boosts ore values so mining isn't as much of a grind. I'd say it's pretty good but it might need a bit more fine tuning. For instance it has Immersive Engineering which costs a TON of iron to do things with, but iron is actually harder to process than other metals in TFC so it's not really worth it to make the IE Crusher. Instead I just got the Railcraft Rock Crusher (which does not instakill you, at least in this modpack, but it will destroy items that brush the top of it so put blocks on it to prevent that!) and went straight for the Mekanism enrichment chamber after that. Immersive Engineering's power generation is pretty easy to get going though. It's just the big multiblock structures which are a problem.

I've been playing TechnodeFirmaCraft lately and am quite enjoying it. It fixes my biggest issue with TFC - that being once you start with the anvil, gameplay doesn't really change much. The techmods are gated and serve to make the tedious things easier as you tech up. For example, making steel with the TFC blast furnace requires making pig iron by babysitting the blast furnace's bellows and keeping it full of charcoal, then hammering the pig iron ingots into high carbon steel on the anvil, then hammering them again into steel. But once you have steel you can make the railcraft blast furnace which lets you make pig iron without babysitting and the rolling machine to skip the anvil steps.