Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I'm trying to set up OpenComputers to control an active extreme reactor in FTB Beyond, using the brgc program. I've managed to get the computer to interface with the reactor and turbine without issue, but the program documentation says that it can also connect to my draconic energy storage. Problem is, I don't know how to connect the computer system to the orb. I've tried connecting to the pylon but the program doesn't recognise it.

edit: I'm using the adapter.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Having trouble with the Abyss in CotT. Whenever I go in there, it'd eventually crash. The latest time seems to have permanently corrupted my savefile :(

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Having a lootbag farm helps, since you can get runes, slates and blood shards from bags.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Disposable item turrets and a bit of reinforced stone really trivialise base defences. Hook the turrets up to a simple transfer pipe cobblegen and you're set.

I'll probably upgrade to lasers eventually, but not because I really need to.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Depends posted:

What's a good early to mid-game weapon/armor combo to shoot for?

While expensive, manyullyn armour is really good. If you're having trouble with the nether, it might be worth investing in some more mystical agriculture seeds.

For weapons, super star battleaxes seem to be fairly common, and I ended up with an archaic one within a few hours of starting. The "Justice" revolver from IE is a pretty good ranged weapon and fairly easy to get, although the questline seems a bit bugged for me.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

As long as it's optional and not obnoxiously implemented (e.g. adf.ly links) I think people would be ok with it.

edit: freemium content seems to be alright too.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I've been enjoying Age of Engineering recently. It gives me goals for each age, and then turns me lose.

Same. Really clear progression without too much hand-holding, and it's going to make me use some mods I haven't used before.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Devor posted:

I'm in the IC2 stage of Age of Engineering (so, like Age 1?) and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing for power. I have a handful of IC2 solar panels, and a generator that eats obscene amounts of coal/charcoal, but I find myself needing more for my burgeoning Macerator/Extractor/Compressor empire.

Is the answer just More Solar Panels (tm)?

Assuming power consumption hasn't been messed with: Solar panels provide 1 EU/t, the basic generator provides 10 EU/t. Macerator, extractor and compressor all use 2 EU/t each, so they should all run off just one generator. Throw in a batbox and you should be fine. The issue I'm having is with the electric heat generator - with two generators so far, I can only run it with two coils, which is painfully slow. Still, I've almost got enough slag to make the IE blast furnace - then I'll have to wait longer again to get enough steel to upgrade to the next tier (I used all my steel on a tool forge :v:)

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I've advanced to the calculator age in AoE and as per the guide I'm giving Progressive Automation a try. It seems straightforward but I can't for the life of me figure out how this mod's capacitor works.

I've made sure the red side is aligned to my generator, but the generator is filling up with RF and it doesn't send any to the capacitor. I've now tried three different generators (survival, peat and the Progressive iron generator) but they all have the same problem, despite being able to send directly to machines if I leave out the capacitor.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I've noticed my Progressive Automation capacitor won't work with Immersive Engineering wires. It has to be those dumb red and white power cables.

From Solar Flux? I did some testing in creative and the capacitor didn't work with Ender IO conduits, either. I ended up going with an IE capacitor in the end. Doesn't hold as much RF but easier to work with. Going to have to set up multiple for the empowerer, though.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Is there an easy way to automate the Actually Additions empowerer without AE or Refined Storage? I'm playing Age of Engineering to give you an idea of the mods I have available.

It's messy but transfer pipes with item filters will do. You can set it all up so that you just have to dump the items into a chest. Once you get to Ender IO you can upgrade to item conduits, which will do the same thing but can be run along the same blockspaces as energy conduits, so you can hide it all under the ground.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Against my better judgement I reinstalled and decided to try the "speedrun make a bed" strategy.

Which has worked so far for two days, but now my problem is that my heat seems to be topping out and I don't know how to reduce it.

Oh, and keepinventory true doesn't work on this pack. Of course.

Stand in water or the orange coolant(?) in the back room of the ship to cool down. Stay hydrated, don't sprint, try and get the jelly armour as soon as you can.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Holy poo poo is Age of Engineering getting grindy. I've just reached the RFTools age and the recipes never really get any easier, each new age just add another layer of bullshit.

I did manage to get a builder quarry set up, though, which is nice. Next step is to make some ender chests and automate ore processing.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

The problem with losing inventory on death is that it's either a) trivial to get your stuff back, in which case you're just wasting time, or b) extremely difficult, to the point you pretty much need to re-craft your weapons and armour, and still might not survive long enough to get there and back (e.g. dying in the nether in CotT), so it's almost easier to just write off your lost equipment and start fresh.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

So I've actually survived for a few days now! It helps that I found the water leak outside the back of the ship. I guess the next trick is figuring out how to get to the map coordinates for that quest without dying from the heat.

Jelled slime armour from ToughAsNails; slime boots and slimesling from TiCon; and a bucket of water to cool down on the go. I'm not sure it's the kind of thing you should be rushing toward in the first few days.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

McFrugal posted:

What is it, 5000 blocks away?!

It's not that far but you'll probably want to get there and back in one day, and sprinting is Bad.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

2. Is there something finicky with VeinMiner these days? It is set to GRAVE by default and it's not working on anything. The default config claims to trigger when the hotkey is depressed. In particular, is there anything I need to do from a fresh config to make it trigger on oak logs in 1.10.2 with a Vanilla wooden axe?

First thing you should check is your controls list to see if there's a bind conflict. Other than that, VM should work regardless of what you're holding (as long as you're holding something), you just have to hold the key down as you break the first block.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

A sand block surrounded by eight blocks of emerald. Also it decays to normal sand. But it still looks the same.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Canola oil in a semifluid generator? They really seem to want to push you toward a nuclear reactor of some kind but IC2 nuclear just seems like such a hassle.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

CotT with bloodmoon chance set to 100%.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Yeah that looks way better than whatever CotT used. Those dungeons were so boring and unfun to explore.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

IIRC the latest update gated some of the chapters behind quests in other chapters. Not sure exactly what the requirements are, though, sorry.

edit: According to release notes for version 1.2, "Reformatted the Ars Magicka Titans quest line. There are Titan fights located at the bottom of the first four quest tabs, and they must be beaten to unlock certain other quest tabs. This was done to encourage players to fight the Titans while they still posed at least a small challenge."

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 3, 2017

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Does anyone have a solution for Twitch not downloading modpacks (both new and updates)?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

mechaet posted:

Okay, I think I get all of that. Trick is to balance power usage and field strength in order to keep heat below 8000 so things don't go kaboom.

Thanks for explaining that.

Direwolf20 did a really good set of videos on the draconic reactor in his last Let's Play series. It's a bit long but he goes into a lot of detail and explains the relationship really well.

https://youtu.be/Fq1y0JRPU3A
https://youtu.be/-BM9F3Bz-9w
https://youtu.be/yc2Y09kUd6c
https://youtu.be/jG_9zX4WVJU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Playing with my design in the big reactor simulator it looks like that adjusting the fuel rod insertion does affect irradiation. I don't know exactly how it all works; I've been using this same design for years.

I've been doing some testing with this simulator and the most power-efficient design (RF/mB or mB/mB) I can find is a single block width outer layer of gelid cryotheum with the entire centre is filled with fuel rods. It doesn't seem to matter what size the reactor is, the RF/mB or mB/mB efficiency is always better than any other design I've tested. The only downside is it would chew through yellorium, especially at larger sizes, although a 5 x 5 x 5 (internal) reactor is big enough to produce over 8,000mB of steam.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I've just started Lost Travels and I've got to say I love the terrain generation. Also I won the EverlastingAbilities spawn lottery and got Invisibility, which is super helpful for exploring those haunted buildings.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

It's a bit ridiculous how easy it is to get string with flax. It completely invalidates hemp and spider farming, even without bonemealing or other forms of fertilization.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

For a comparison to Direwolf20 1.10, check out FTB Beyond - it's essentially Infinity Evolved's successor. That said, there's not a whole lot of difference between Beyond and DW20. They both have a lot of the same mods and are pretty stable.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Can I just say that the wolf bear things in QRAFT are bullshit. Their hitbox is smaller than their model, making them a. difficult to hit, and b. able to fit through a 1x1 space. Thankfully they're pretty weak too.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Is the city dimension the only early option for redstone?

Also I found a boxing glove, which is very effective and super satisfying.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

The dragon heart doesn't drop like other mob drops. It should spin in the air where the dragon died for a while, then it zooms into your inventory, regardless of how far away you are. I assume if you have a full inventory it won't be picked up but it shouldn't just fall off the island.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

After previously giving up due to an insurmountable bug, I've decided to give Craft of the Titans another go - hopefully the patches since then have fixed it.

Unfortunately, I'm getting huge TPS lag every few minutes, having to wait 30 seconds for everything to update. I've made sure mipmaps are off, and I've added optifine to the pack but it's still happening. Any ideas?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

I've recently been playing Rise of the Pack for 1.12 and it's not bad. I'm not very far into it but the progression path and mod interactions seem to be pretty balanced overall. Also it doesn't have IC2, which is a bonus for me.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I don't know if anyone else is playing it, but in the Divine Journey pack, Agricraft is giving me a headache. I'm trying to farm cacti and flowers, which I plant on crop sticks, but it's only giving me dye when I harvest them. Instead of poppies, I get red dye. Instead of cacti, I get cactus green. There used to be an option for receiving dye or flowers (I think?) but I'm pretty sure this version of Agricraft is past the change where instead, to get the full plant, you're supposed to use shears on the grown plant. If the yield of that crop is high enough, you get the full plant rather than the dye (e.g. poppies instead of red dye).

However, harvesting the crop with standard vanilla minecraft shears in my hand (whether using right or left click) still only gives me the dye. These are on 10/10/10 seeds. It's not gamebreaking since you don't need too much from these plants but I'd really like some way to farm them and I'm wondering if I'm missing something insanely obvious.

Found this on reddit:

quote:

This is a long standing bug with the latest version of agricraft. There was a pull request with the code to fix this, but a final build for 1.7.10 was never built and released. If you roll back to a version where shears worked, botania cannot be used to automate crops.

Sounds like you're out of luck. I guess if it really matters, you could just cheat some in.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Sorry but the only bad thing about Immersive Engineering is laying everything out so it's not an enormous mess of wires.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

TwystNeko posted:

Is there a mod that adds just "magnet" mode for items, like what NEI had? It's probably the one thing I miss most about older minecraft.

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/simple-magnet

I'm partial to Botania's magnet ring, since it's fairly easy to get, doesn't cost anything to operate, and is clever with drops/sneaking. There's also Actually Additions' magnet ring, but it needs to be charged.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Minecraft Modding: just download more ram you scrubs

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Found this on reddit:

pre:
Heat Levels
Torch                    | 1
Yellorium Block          | 1
Lava (Source)            | 3
Fire(Lit Netherrack)     | 4
Rocket Fuel (Source)     | 6
Liquid Sunshine (Source) | 7
Fire Water (Source)      | 8
Mega Torch               | 10
Awakened Draconium Block | 15
Uranium Block            | 20
Flowing liquids seem to offer a lower heat level, based on distance from source.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Maybe this'll help somebody else -- I went into creative mode and took a screenshot of the build requirements for all the Enviromental Tech void miners. I ran into the problem where I didn't know how many of the wossnames to let the thing mine before I upgraded, since there's no actual documentation book and the only way to know is to make an upgraded void miner and try to use it.

https://imgur.com/a/tQY7E

Build reqs are the same for ore miner, resource miner, and botanic(?) miner of the same tier.

You're awesome. I was going crazy without the ET book. I eventually figured I'd just build two controllers and leapfrog them as I upgraded, but this is much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Not for SF3

I think the usable blocks are in a cfg somewhere on a per-pack basis

I checked, and it's correct. Here's a paste of the .json: https://pastebin.com/eWZ4HNG3