Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Blightfall 2.1.1

http://www.technicpack.net/article/technic-thursday-post-blightfall.121

quote:

Mod Changes:
-Added "Cooking for Blockheads." This should make Pam's Harvestcraft less painful!
-Added HelpFixer. Now you can /help for what little info it gives you.
-Added BetterRain.
-Added ChickenChunks
-Added PurplePanic
-Added PlayerAPI
-Updated ReqCredit.
---Fixes issue with dawn totems "Turning off".
---Fixes a lot of oreDiscovery bugs.
-Updated CustomNPCs.
---See "World changes," below!

Quest Changes:
-Added Emergency Nutrient bar as food requisition instead of jerkies.
-Gold tools cost 6 rep now, making gold ingots obtained from old gold tools as costly as copper.
-Iron tools cost 3 rep now for a similar reason.
-Sunflower seed reward bag now gives a half stack. Because apparantly being unable to plant them is a "feature" according to Pam.
-Tainted players removed from reward bags.
-Smeltery questline rewards you with a black book, given that it doesn't spawn naturally as I expected.
-Fixed spelling mistakes.
-You can requisition a machine gun.
-There is a quest showing you how to build stone guns.
-If you want to cheat, you can get nearly 200 thaumcraft research discoveries for free.
-Botania "Another Path to Purity" fixed.
-Fixed south ocean badge.

Config Changes:
-Emergency Nutrient Bars and now completely immune to diminishing returns, matching their tooltips.
-Diminishing returns tweaked. They now asymtotically approach 16.5% insteaad of 0%. This means bread will decay to a minimum of a half a ham hock, making it possible to eat bread forever. http://i.imgur.com/gM5UYG6.png
-You now get hungry 80% as quickly as vanilla. You still get hungry standing still.
-Food history shortened to 200 ham hocks from 250.

Recipe changes:
-You can now get ender air.
-You can now cook bread in a redstone furnace.
-Metal removed from Grilled Cheese.
-Blood magic now correctly makes diamond stuff other than swords.

World Changes: (Old worlds will have these changes retroactively added!)
-Added cheat platform hub.
-Killed Thyrork. This should make producing eldritch eyes easier.
-Tainted hero now 100% less immortal.

:allears: You wonderful modder you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Btw to be clear, i misunderstood how eyes worked and thought you needed three things, to be insane enough, to have read the book and to have had an eye at one point.

Turns out i was wrong on the last, but this still helps players who have no idea what im talking about because they've never progressed enough to know what lies within.

So... its a free eye And more. :shrug: I remember pulling my hair out about ender eyes last time i played OMP-i and could have sworn I had read the bad people book.

E: Confirmed, Chunk Loader has a bug with its aspects, Talonos is informed.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 21, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

:psyboom:

E: And Talonos's already figured both bugs out. :toot:

E2:

quote:

Blightfall has been updated to version 2.1.1a
2.1.1a:

Recipe Changes:
-Cooking for Blockheads vol 2 made easier to craft. (Two diamonds? Seriously? That was a dumb default recipe.)
-Dirt is no longer five times as fiery as lava (if you ask the thaumometer)
-The unknown aspect in chunkloader research was supposed to be perditio all along.

Clients with this version are compatible with servers running 2.1.1 and vice versa.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 21, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Nah, Talonos had to hit a logical point to content freeze everything in order to polish, keeping on updating mods would cause issues.

FOR EXAMPLE, updating chisel has terrible, terrible consequences!* :haw:

*The entire ship vanishes.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Shukaro posted:

PSHHHHHHHHHHHH........

You missed the bit were multiple crashes of thunder would sound in about a 3 second timeframe.

Also just so its said, I've been pretty religiously feeding talonos the various bugs reported here (and on the server im on) so keep 'em coming.

Additionally, moss balls are been looked into, they are alittle bit hard to get after all!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

TyreForHyre posted:

Edit: As of 211 "Added the Rod of the Shifting Crust, effectively a copy of the Thaumcraft Wand of Equal trade with a few new things added on."

FINALLY. Good lord TC had a monopoly on that for far too long.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Shukaro posted:

Uploaded a garden of glass pack to the platform as the "official" one is kinda outdated and meh. http://technicpack.net/modpack/pasture-of-glass.720180

Why thank you! :3:

Error downloading pack. :smith:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 22, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

McFrugal posted:

So uh... I got warped enough to research the Eldritch Eye-related stuff. Is there even an Obelisk that has keystones? All the ones I've found are just obelisks with nothing near them to put the eyes on.

You put the eyes on the center plinth under the node. :ssh:

Also one of the floating islands has a bonus eye for you.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Yo, if you're looking for a place to play multiplayer MC with Good People(tm), heres a thing for you.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
And now, for a fresh cut of the madness machine; someone posted a "Modder's agreement" over on FTB's sub-Reddit.

The reactions are amazing. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

This was awhile back, but you dont have PM so I cant do it that way. This music is so loving GOOD and I ended up buying a ton of their stuff.

So thanks for the suggestion, from the bottom of my blight infested heart. :cthulhu:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
You know, reading all this talk about iguana tweeks made me think of something, an alternative take on MC's tool progression.

Anything can mine anything, but using the wrong tools causes massively increased damage to it, lower yields, increased hunger, debuffs or a combination of and possibly more. What you get depends on how "wrong" the tool is for the job.

You want to mine diamonds with wooden tools? Sure you can, it'll cost you a pick a mine and make you sick from the effort. I guess you could make the secondary effects magnified if you use a low-durability tool to mine something way above its grade too. Use the last of your wooden tools bar to sneak in mining a diamond? That's going to be alot of hunger.

It'd need work to make sure its not horribly unfun, but its gotta be a good alternative to "ugh, cant mine this yet." or accidentally destroying something because you didn't know.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I cant hate Vazkii for her logic regarding people murdering servers with passive flowers, after all its nothing new! but there's gotta be another fix then pulling the bloody config! :haw:

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Hey, ebeef, how about a big flowers mod?

Big Agriculture?

Blind Duke posted:

The compact high-power version of flowers will be trees and we will have found the root of all modder hissy fits

it was trees all along!

I'm imagining huge trees that have to be hand sculpted that produce mana passively but require things like enriched soil and mineral water nearby. :allears: I want it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

McFrugal posted:

I know you guys are trying to make jokes about awful/exploity trees but I actually do kindof like the idea of growing a magic tree that you then modify to make it do things. Like a really weird multiblock structure.

I ain't joking. :colbert:

Magically loving around with tree genetics would be neat, and having to support them with things like specific pollens, soils, waters and solutions to keep the tree healthy would also be neat. Foresty without the pain in the arse.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
That (required) disclaimer at the bottom of the Discord post. :cripes:

Legends doesn't look to be my jam, but my god that's some pretty artwork. :haw:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

KakerMix posted:

:ssh: you've discovered the secret of Tekkit Legends

Oh no. :ohdear:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
If you're going to be playing modded minecraft with you're kids, I cant recommend Babby's First Space Race enough. The oregen is plentiful and the hqm book is detailed on how to build the various contraptions. Its great for teaching anyone how to play, but if they get bored theirs still rocket ships and ores to mine and all the rest of that good stuff. :3:

Wheres "Babby's First Eldritch Horror" Rocko?

Actually on that note: Shukaro, are you still working on that "Better than HQM" mod?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Enzer posted:

It is doable, it would just require a lot of work and re-thinking, which might be honestly good for Blightfall to keep it from getting stale like the Material Energy maps did.

Make it a technological setting and have it so that between the surface being deadly, the underground is full of ruins and technology you can hook up.

Basically, Star Wars: The Old Republic's Taris mixed with Fallout, sprinkled with death flowers. :shobon:

Plus you could have neat points of interest, accidentally hooking up a reactor that starts leaking, but fixing it up gives you a working reactor? Exploring the dusty ruins of bookshops, looking for leather to scrape by? Using railway systems to travel quickly through the less-dangerous underground?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Vib Rib posted:

But I seriously do not like the idea of him bringing back "Aura". TC4 benefited in so many ways from moving away from that system. I don't miss it. It was really hard to keep track of, it was nebulous, it was almost impossible to control, and it let things dry up. At least waiting for a node to recharge is a steady process, Aura was so obfuscated you might eventually just dry up an area and then that's it, you're finished forever.

I really hope he has a CV style system planned. Rip open a node and breathe aura into a area at a greater rate.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Regarding Skyblock maps, if you've done one before, you really should accelerate the early game.

The entire focus of a skyblock is to work with minimal resources towards maximum automation, stepping over the dirt, wood, water and cobble limited steps isn't exactly getting you near the end! :haw:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Eschers Basement posted:

You could also use it to cut through Thaumcraft stupidity - have completed research and fragments available in dungeons, making it so you can skip the terrible research game if you explore instead.

Another thought - maybe combining what others have said about fixing machinery - maybe there's no natural power generation in the world (so like Blightfall without Botania) but fixing up the Old Machines will generate RF from a source near your starting location? Make it a tech heavy pack instead of magic, and so how much automation you do become dependent on how many Old Machines you've been able to fix.

That'd go nicely with my earlier burble about a "Fallout / SWTOR Taris" style ruined yet technologically advanced world.

You want power? Small scale generators do still exist, and so does the ruins of the power grid. You might be able to tap into the latter and drain whatever dredges are left but you really need to find and fix up that local reactor.

Oh, good job hero! You fixed the reactor. Unfortunately the hardened power lines leading to one of the nearby automated military bases are still running. The Kill-Bots are coming. :stare:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
No, letting them do something clever is fine. You just need to layer the trickery.

Killbots example: Turning on the reactor "floods" the lower level in radiactive material, cutting off your entrance. You need to clean that up. Meanwhile power is heading towards the killbot factory, thats already reactivated its own defenses and is preparing to send out monsters.

Normal player? not going to be aware of this and panicking about radioactive spillage.

Clever player? You could cut the power before then, but you still have a cleanup to worry about.

Eitherway, the killbot factory is online now. Unless...

Cleverist player? You already head out and shut down the factory while it was mostly inert. But you did that with less gear then you could have had because you had very little power. Preparation wins out!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 7, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Magres posted:

You're never going to win the "force the player to play a specific way" game. Even if you bedrock everything, it's not exactly hard to pop to creative and smash some bedrock. All you can really do is set up a bunch of toys, explain how you intend for them to be played with, and let the player decide how they want to have fun.

Said it better then I could.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Jvie, you might want to take a look at how Twilight Forest gates its progress and the systems used within. It might be fuel for your fire if anything else and it is A Good Mod... even if it utterly ruins servers with its (imo better) world gen.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

SugarAddict posted:

I had my own idea of a adventure modpack that revolved around a gigantic sprawling space station that you had go reclaim and rebuild/repair critical systems to open up new areas of the space station so you could use their unique recources or with machines and setups already done and/or does things cheaper than you could do it your self.

Sounds neat and the idea of stomping around on a space station, finding obscure laboratories, repairing reactors and raiding warehouses reminds me of Metroid Fusion.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
NEI one in, and toss an uncharged one into a pit.

Congratulations, you found one!

Seriously. You already have meteors to worry about, gently caress also trying to find a charged quartz. Its a completely unfun bottleneck.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Me neither honestly, but its one of them "only a problem if your looking for it" dealies. :haw:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Teaching people the foundation of stuff and "how to learn" that kind of thing is a nice motivation to do modding, wasn't that basically what the Quantum theory mod was inspired by? That was a cool mod. :unsmith:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Working with a complex electrical system could be fun, as long as the failure states is poor optimization, not "your poo poo exploded."

Basically, IC2 would be pretty good for all this if:

A) Machines overloaded "crash" and need to be fixed with tools, not EXPLODE and ruin possibly more stuff.
B) The wrench wasn't such a piece of poo poo. Seriously. gently caress you. Yes, you. Why in the name of everything that's goddamned sacred did that get passed as a design choice? *
C) The electric wrench should be a durability = energy version of the above, and not a piece of poo poo. What the gently caress is wrong with you, IC2 devs? I seriously cant :argh: hard enough to explain my hate for this. The "Oh we have a flawless version that costs oodles of energy stop complaining" is NOT valid in the slightest, BECAUSE ITS NOT ENABLED BY DEFAULT.*
D) Bad wiring should affect you in a non-lethal but annoying way. Slowness, Blindness, Mining Fatigue, that kind of stuff.
E) Bad design and energy grids should punish you with inefficiently, not failure. Big Reactors gets this.
F) Nuclear reactors exploding is unfun, but I could see a desire to have some kind of punishment mechanic for failure here. Leakage thats really dangerous but non-fatal?

*: I might have issues with the wrench.

SParE ThE WrenCH, SpoIL THe MANChiLD.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 15, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Bhodi posted:

Reminder to those who want to emit status effects, look to the sludge boiler - it poisons everything around, and it's dumb no one likes it and it doesn't fit the pack at all.

I actually like it, only because it encourages oddball "out of the way" placement with respective pipes.

But as you put it so well...

Bhodi posted:

Yeah sure, if you want to have a config file option "SLAM_HAND_IN_CARDOOR=true" have at it, it just better be false by default.

You also better have a miracle potato for in-game debugging purposes that tells you what thing is messing up your entire system.

This should always be a thing.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
With help, I made a rather fancy base a few versions back. Didn't get as many screenshot's as I'd have liked. :smith:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Its Thaumic Horizons, the first picture shows off the CV node booster (put on 4 for Fun! :unsmigghh:) the stablizers work to help contain hungry and The evil super node you get from putting 4 boosters on a normal node and make them useful.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I've been enjoying Regrowth. Word of warning, it has a few unpopular mods in it. To me, so far, It's been a mod that's felt more like a showcase for Botania and Magical Crops (kind of like how Blightfall championed Thaumcraft.

Its also kind of neat to have a minimlistic need to mine, and instead a enormous hunger for space. You always need more space!

Plus it kind of has that same vibe of a overwhelmingly hostile world, but dead instead of infected. Monsters come at you in honestly scary hoards and theirs a few really nasty types mixed in. This is the first time in along time that I've felt required to expand as a walled enclave and not just some haphazard base/house.

Wylker has a letsplay of it from a few(?) versions ago if you want to preview it.

E: Word of warning if you do, there's a few irksome "waste time" steps/quests that hamper you early on. I encorage mild use of creative NEI to help "get on with it." as their is so much to do. Swap Botania flowers for the colour you need until you get the seeds to grow the ones you want, and when you get the repeatable metal essence quests (such as Essence of Copper), do one, then give yourself the remainder you need to make the metal seed.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 3, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Magres posted:

My only trouble with Regrowth was it kept friggin corrupting my worlds :(

My friend who didn't have any problems loves it though, and it was definitely fun while I was playing it.

Ooo. Thanks for the warning Magres, I'll keep regular backups.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Vib Rib posted:

What problem did that not solve, exactly? People playing singleplayer and never moving on to active generation, to the point they'd edit the configs and turn off withering? Was that really so common and troublesome the option had to be removed?

Large numbers of passive mana generation gobbles up server ticks, creating lag and instability.

Technically this would also effect single player, as single player is a server now? :raise: Eitherway, that was the issue. I'm actually curious how far you'd need to go to start feeling the burn of passive mana gen on the server.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Taffer posted:

It starts to take a toll at a couple hundred. That doesn't stop people from taking it to a couple thousand.

:cripes: Jesus christ and this was a legitimate issue enough for Vazkii to get pestered by it enough to crack and do what she did? What in the ever-loving gently caress?

Makes me glad in hindsight that the goon servers I've played on adopted a "gently caress with the server and we'll nuke your junk, tia." philosophy.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The biggest problem with TC5 and Blightfall is that tainted substances become Dust now. That's going to be a slightly less optimistic way of saving the world, since what you're really doing is killing it.

Delightfully bleak as that is, I could still see "Blightrise" or something similar replace it. Trapped underground when the surface became overrun. Using small, isolated bunkers and the supplies within to rebuild the world. Fallout but with the nukes replaced by a invasive Biohazard.

In that regard, it'd probably be a really fun formula for a ruined magi-tech cityscape, its surrounding lands and surviving underground infrastructure. Not a world covered in blight, but certain hyper-dangerous points of interest would be. Points of interest that will be vital to your survival.

You'd probably want to expand Blightfall's extra monsters if you were going to do this. "Infected Workers." and that kind of thing, lurking inside laboratories and factories. Biodomes that once studied the Eldritch life that have been shattered, "leaking" out the taint storms. Reactors that stand dormant, ready to be used but at what cost?

As fun an idea as all this is however, It wouldn't be Blightfall. Blightfall was about surviving on a hyper-lethal surface world in your tiny safe spaces. "Blightrise" would be closer to Regrowth, a world in ruins with deadly points of interest to explore and piece together what the gently caress happened while salvaging what you can to survive and thrive.

Maybe not a bad pitch after all.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Think I'd just flip it on its head. Passive gen is turned to be endgamey, multiblocky but good and you only need a few. Endoflames remove their "mana needed" step but still have their hard limit of fuel burn (I think its a block of coal).

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Basically we're back to wishing Big Trees was a thing, Sorry goons. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mutamu posted:

Corporea networks are cool

Being able to use this like a giant AE system is cool

... Elaborate. Because that looks cool as gently caress. A small scale demonstration, please? :shobon: