Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

If you add a mod to an existing world that provides new ores, those ores will show up when new chunks are generated, right? So I would just have to venture far enough away for overworld ores, and new nether ores would be present when I get around to going there?

I only started this game last night, so it wouldn’t be a huge loss to start over. But I haven’t gone very far, either, so it shouldn’t be too far for new chunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you want to be Fancy McFancyPants, you can use Orespawn or CoFH World to specify the new ores with retrogen and shut them off from their original mod. I think Nether Metals is the new Nether Ores--I'm figuring out how closely it corresponds--and that is build on Orespawn, so you might already have retrogen.

I gave up on Nether Metals and End Metals last night because they require Base Metals, and I didn’t want all those extra ores or the copies of Forestry’s Tin and Copper (even with InstantUnify converting as soon as they’re mined). I guess it might be possible to turn off the Base Metals I don’t want in MMD OreSpawn’s config? I’m thinking I ought to just use Ore Core instead. Then I can replace Dense Metals & Simple Gravel Ores* and add the experience ores I was thinking about but couldn’t find.

*Didn’t seem to be working anyways

runchild fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 16, 2018

runchild
May 26, 2010

Is there some method of checking the temperature of a fluid? I was playing around with BC Ore Processing and I know I managed to cool it down since it doubled the output, but I don’t know HOW I’m supposed to know. Nevermind, I found the setting in the HWYLA configs.

Also, is there a Buildcraft-compatible device that will take a full bucket and output the liquid to fluid pipes and the empty bucket to transport pipes? OR a device that will take in an item and output either oil or fuel?

runchild fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 18, 2018

runchild
May 26, 2010

Would using Forestry+Binnie’s Mods+More Bees work well with Biomes O’ Plenty? Or would the extra biomes make it difficult to find appropriate habitats for the bees/trees?

runchild
May 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Greenhouse_(Forestry)

Greenhouses allow you to control the environment for bees so that you can do bee things almost anywhere. Bees still suck though.

Ah, neat, that wasn’t around last time I played Forestry. Also gently caress off, bees are awesome. :classiclol:

runchild
May 26, 2010

Last night I threw together a custom mod pack that included some “hardcore survival” mods. Everything seemed fine until I noticed that the hunger system didn’t seem to be working right. I was missing just a few hearts, so I ate some food and...didn’t heal. In fact, my saturation and hunger quickly dropped back down without any change to my health.

While I can’t find anything in their documentation about it, I feel like the most likely culprits are:
• PrimalCore (but I didn’t have this issue when I was testing it out earlier...)
• Tough as Nails (but I was only like 2.5 thirst drops empty and not freezing...)
• BetterWithMods (but I turned off all the hardcore modules...)
• Betweenlands (but I wasn’t IN the Betweenlands, and again I haven’t had this happen before...)

So yeah, I’m stumped. I’m kinda hoping when I try to test it after work today I won’t even be able to recreate it.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Devor posted:

Out of those, I would check that BWM Hardcore Hunger is really off

http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Hardcore_Hunger

The Better Than Wolves hunger system doesn't even seem to be in Better With Mods at the moment, according to the github wiki and a thorough search of the config file. After some testing I've found the culprit - it was Tough Expansion. I didn't see the "ThirstHealthFix" config that "Makes thirst health regen respect same logic as hunger". Which apparently means immediately dropping your hunger to 8.5 meats if you have a single thirst drop missing. That's a little excessive, IMO.

runchild
May 26, 2010

runchild posted:

The Better Than Wolves hunger system doesn't even seem to be in Better With Mods at the moment, according to the github wiki and a thorough search of the config file.

Scratch that, it turns out Better Than Mods had somehow disabled itself, and when I turned it on the weird hunger system was definitely there and definitely a pain in the rear end. It also overrode Appleskin’s visual representation of the saturation/exhaustion system, and I consider that basically essential. It’s not present in Sevtech so obviously there’s a way to turn it off, but I can’t did it :shrug: I don’t feel like dealing with that so bye bye, BWM.

ALSO, is there a mod for 1.12.2 that adds glassblowing or something like it? I think I can do some stuff with molten glass in Tinker’s but A) I can’t test that until I get home tonight and B) I need the glass to make the TC stuff in the first place. I want to make that step slightly more complicated than “put sand in furnace, the end.”

runchild
May 26, 2010

Hey y’all, just chiming in one more time to say I’m a dipshit, cause I finally found the Hardcore Hunger option in Better With Mods config file. Gonna give it another try.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Weird question, but can anyone think of a mod that adds aesthetic alternatives to the crafting table? Like, functions exactly the same, just looks different. I would specifically like one that looks like it’s made of brick, as that’s the material I want to gate crafting behind in this personal mod pack.

Artisan Worktables would be great if it didn’t require adding every crafting recipe manually.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Is there a mod for for 1.12.2 that will make dirt and cobblestone fall like sand/gravel?

runchild
May 26, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Don't know about cobble, but here's one for dirt.

Ah, perfect, thanks. I didn’t read far enough into the description for this one when I looked at it earlier today. Disincentivizing cobble isn’t as important if I go with PrimalCore’s “cobblestone must be crafted” option, anyways.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Well lucky for y’all McJty literally just tweeted about how Continuum v1.1.0 changes the smeltery to take 10 minutes, reducible to 2.5 with 4 gearboxes. I haven’t played it so maybe I’m talking out of my rear end, but I think timed crafting makes sense as a source of that “I’m making progress” feeling. You invest more work in gearboxes and viola, you can make stuff faster. Not gonna argue that 30 minutes is pretty ridiculous though.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You need to invest in your sieves and get them up to diamond tier. Have fun flaking shitloads of diamonds and getting pissed off by whatever loving rear end in a top hat decided it was a good idea to make the lower bound on flake yield be 0.

Assuming that’s PrimalCore’s knapping, I think there’s an option to change that in the config.

runchild
May 26, 2010

I guess I’m insane then. Bees are my fondest memory of the FTB server my friends and I played on back in...2012? I’ve been on the lookout for another game with a similar simple breeding mechanic ever since. Pocket Frogs is really the only thing that’s come close, or at least the only one that’s worth a drat.

That said, I understand that they are incredibly overused and, being luck-based, make for a frustrating gating mechanism. I would only ever want them as an option, not a requirement.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Thermal Innovation does seem like a good place to put a Modular Powersuits-esque set of armor.

Personally I’d like to see more put into Thermal Cultivation. I like your mods and I like farming, so it’s sad to only see that lonely little watering can in the TC documentation.

runchild
May 26, 2010

If one wished to gate access to Mekanism behind Immersive Engineering, the obvious thing would be to make Osmium unobtainable until significant progress has been made within IE. The only vector I can think of for that is the Excavator, but drilling for core samples has potential to be tedious and very not fun if the mineral deposit RNG isn’t in your favor.

Any other ideas of ways to gate Osmium? Also, I don’t want to use Game Stages, I want to set up natural roadblocks and progression paths.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the good ideas. Only time will tell if this project becomes anything more than a way for me to play some mods I’m interested in, but planning is fun, and now I’ve got a whole roadmap for a sort of SevTech Lite.

runchild
May 26, 2010

No idea if these are lesser known or not, but if you’re messing around with your own personal modpack I highly recommend World Handler and World Stripper. Much easier to swap between creative and survival, set the time, turn off weather, etc when you can just press a hotkey and click a button. World Stripper is pretty much essential for checking your ore distribution.

Also Toast Control because the game will not shut up without it.

runchild
May 26, 2010

I played SevTech a long while back, and I really liked the whole starting primitive thing but yeah Shoggoths were mostly what killed my interest too. After a few failed raid attempts I eventually found an abandoned lair, took the special stone, and then realized I didn’t really like the rest of AbyssalCraft either and quit. Actually moved on from Minecraft entirely until recently when I got that itch again. Now I’m trying to piece together a much chiller version of an extended early game progression but I think I’m getting tired of playing with spreadsheets and configs instead of the actual game.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Whalley posted:

Hell, I'd be fine with a pack that just gave you Vanilla, But Options. Ten different kinds of diamond, all paintable, but the tiers are exactly the same.

e: gently caress it, that's my new fancy mod idea. Style Kits for Thermal machines. Lemme change up the art style, but not the functionality. Turn servos into weird plugs, or furnaces into wild west machines, just... make them look different.

Can’t you just achieve that by installing a resource pack?

runchild
May 26, 2010

If one were looking to create a sky block void world with some prebuilt islands, is there some way you can force an area to be a certain biome?

runchild
May 26, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Make sure to use the same seed for map gen so you know where certain biomes are?

My idea involves hand-building a series of islands so AFAIK it would have to involve a world file bundled in. I’d just really like to be able to put a cluster of islands close to each other where one is a desert, one is a jungle, one has snow, etc. I can make ‘em look like that but I’d like them to actually work for biome-dependent stuff.

Also do the mods that help you make empty worlds still lay out a biome map or is everything just one biome?

runchild
May 26, 2010

IMO the monsters in Minecraft are good for creating certain problems to solve. How do I stay safe at night/in the nether? How do I explore/mine safely? How do I get mob drops without putting myself in danger?

Actually fighting them is a pain in the rear end and I mostly avoid it, even more so since the combat update.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Does it include some sort of hole-in-the-wall?

Fakeedit: hahaha yesssss

runchild
May 26, 2010

I was also gonna suggest rolling your own on Curse or MultiMC but I’m completely ignorant when it comes to running a server. Or if sticking to a LAN even counts as a server. I do know modpacks come in client and server versions though.

Anyways, the reason I would probably suggest rolling your own is that it’s surprisingly hard to find a modpack with actual focus on just quality of life + one big mod (or set). I went looking for what drunkencarp asked for and found one called “Thermal Vanilla,” but somehow that also includes Psi, Roots, Botania, Blood Magic, and Extreme Reactors?!?

runchild
May 26, 2010

Lots of mods have facades/covers for their pipes/wires. Buildcraft, AE2, Thermal Dynamics, Ender IO, etc. I usually disable them because they dynamically generate so goddamn many variations.

I’m personally not aware of a mod that adds generic ones.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Why do you disable them? Just go into JEI/etc, click the options button and enable item hiding mode, then follow the prompts to hide them. Single click to unhide one for crafting reference. I do this all the time for mekanism's plastic blocks and stuff, just leaving the white ones so I know they exist.

Less blocks means faster loading, I like seeing my pipe monstrosities creations so I’m never going to use them anyways, and swapping a config option to false is even easier than JEI hiding. To each their own.

runchild
May 26, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Still really enjoying SevTech. I was childishly thrilled to watch a metal press punch out the first few ingot because it means I don't have to do them on a stone anvil or cast them one by one anymore.

Wife just rolled her eyes at me.

There’s a reason my current personal modpack is sort of a SevTech-lite.

Cicadalek posted:

holy poo poo the Abyssalcraft part of SevTech is one of the worst experiences I have ever had in modded minecraft

Aaaaaand there’s a reason I made my own instead of playing SevTech.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Dynamic lighting is also a feature in Optifine.

I tried out Skyfactory 4 last night. My main impression is that maybe having half a dozen different acorns, resins, leaves, and ambers that are all basically the same shade of grey isn’t the best idea.

runchild
May 26, 2010

To elaborate a bit, the first skyblock was a vanilla map that looked like this:

You started with an ice block and a bucket of lava for cobble generation. You can see a second island made of sand in the background, and that had a chest with enough obsidian to make a nether portal to get to the third island. This was long before there were in-game guidebooks or custom advancements but the creator posted a list of challenges to complete.

You could get as much cobble/wood/mob drops/etc as you wanted but you had a finite amount of some stuff and zero access to others. Modded skyblocks added ways to get pretty much every other resource and used that to progress into lots of other mods. That time-lapse one featured a very prominent one called Ex Nihilo, which allows you to generate dirt and water from leaves/saplings/etc, make lava from cobblestone, smash cobble into gravel/sand/dust with hammers, and sift stuff to get metals and such. The most recent big deal skyblock, Sky Factory 4, starts with a mod called Sky Orchards.

runchild
May 26, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Is plummeting to your death a part of a skyblock mod or do you start off flying? I am apparently clumsy in Minecraft and either screenshot I've seen so far seems like it would last me about ten seconds before I have the only bucket of lava available to me at the bottom of a void.

Yeah, falling off is part of the fun I think, but only if you have keep inventory on or add Forgiving Void to the pack (and that should either be set to the zero damage mode or be combined with a grave mod that will keep your stuff from falling off the edge). Going “aw goddamit...oh well” is fun. Having to cheat in what you lost is not. Also it gives you design challenges to engage with like mitigating the risk of falling, building downwards, etc.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Starting with a stack of saplings would also be useful. Inevitably when I poke a new skyblock, the first tree I chop will not yield any saplings.

Any good skyblock should include crooks for just this reason.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah I'd agree with this...mostly. I still would prefer a skylands setup (floating resourceless islands) or something similar instead.

I started my current SkyFactory 4 playthrough on the Chunk Norris map for a reason (that reason is I’ve spent enough time building and living on a wood platform thank you very much.)

runchild
May 26, 2010

I set up a custom Ex Nihilo hammer recipe (iron ore to iron gravel ore from Simple Gravel Ores) and while it shows up in JEI and works in a clean-ish test environment (mostly QoL mods) it’s not working in my main mod pack. Still shows up in JEI but when I break the iron ore, nothing. Also takes longer to break than in the test environment, but not like obsidian or anything, and better hammers def worked faster.

Here’s the mod list.

The obvious culprit should be No Tree Punching, but I disabled the block harvest adjustments and then the whole mod and it still didn’t work. Also BWM’s hardcore module is turned off. Also also I haven’t made any adjustments yet with Block Drops Tweaker or Tool Progression. I’ll do some further testing tonight but maybe someone knows something that can save me the trouble.

runchild
May 26, 2010

CraftTweaker’s /ct names command can generate a list of all item IDs, but a lot of mods heavily rely on metadata or use really confusing ID names. Sometimes both, like how Ceramics’ individual porcelain brick item is “ceramics:unfired_clay:5” for some goddamn reason. Is there some way to dump all item IDs AND their display name? I’ve been writing scripts during downtime at work but cross-referencing a recipe dump to try and puzzle things out is getting old.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Random Encounter posted:

Run the craft tweaker UI command, create the recipie you want to make and save it. Find the output file, and compare what it actually used to what you saw?

I’m sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear. I have a dump of every single item so I can reference it while I don’t have access to the game, but it only has the item ID. I want to know if there’s a way to generate basically the same list but with the addition of the display name, so I don’t have to cross reference a bunch of other stuff or wait til I get home to figure out that a TF copper ingot is “thermalfoundation:material:192”.

If I was at home playing the game I’d just use WAILA/HWYLA’s metadata view or craftweaker’s /ct hand or something.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Now that I'm home I've found that Not Enough Items 1.8+ and PM Dumper 3 both offer what I'm looking for. And in a convenient CSV format, too!

runchild
May 26, 2010

Depends posted:

Am I weird for hating chickens and cows and loving bees (and almost everything else about Forestry)?

I’m with you on loving Forestry’s bees. I’m a sucker for selective breeding mechanics in video games, plus I just like bees in general.

Making it a required progression roadblock in a gated pack is obviously recipe for disaster, though. And I understand how the same things that make that true can also cause people to bounce off it even when it’s just an option in a kitchen sink pack.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Curious if anyone is aware of 1.12 mods that add the following, and preferably don’t add much more.

-A tool like Ex Nihilo’s Crook, but without all the other Ex Nihilo stuff
-A tool that comes with silk touch built in. I’m imagining maybe a hammer and chisel so you’re ostensibly cutting the block out instead of just breaking it.
-Andesite, Diorite, and Granite gravel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

OgNar posted:

I don't think I have ever seen these.
But wouldn't mind them either.

This one says it has them, but it’s only for 1.14+