Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I had forgotten how nutty the modding drama was back in the day. Are things basically chill now? Technic and Slowpoke walking along, arm in arm?

Things are pretty chill. Every now and then you get a hiccup here and there, but we passed peak inanity quite a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Taffer posted:

That's its whole purpose. It's really funny hearing people talk about how it needs a "usability" upgrade or it's underpowered or whatever compared to other mods - the entire purpose of that mod is some visual variety. It works for that.

Pretty much. As long as the ugly overworld clouds are removed (the nether ones work just fine for landing pads if you really need) and the wood is oredic-ed properly I really don't mind Natura. Though I loving hate Heatscar spiders. Their "split upon death" is an interesting idea, but minecraft combat is so bad that even an interesting idea just becomes obnoxious and painful. It doesn't help that they're giant balloons of HP, they don't drop spider eyes and their string is useless beyond making a tiny handful of items (mostly bow related), can't be used to make normal wool, yet is loving ubiquitous.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

"I really don't mind it" is sure high praise for a mod. You're right about its mobs, though. What about Imps? Surely you guys all love those wandering idiots and their poison meat, and their not-quite-leather hide.

Compared to other mods, it actually is. I like the variety it gives, even if it's just a bit here and there. Though I could do without all the unique, somewhat buggy versions of crafting tables that don't properly and fully work, nor do they oredic properly.

Natura is the source of the Redwoods which I absolutely, 100% love. They're absolutely gorgeous and the corewood's planking goes with just about anything. They're also the most bug and lag free mega-tree out there as far as I know (MFR lasers really do not like being in the canopy of any mega tree).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

wylker posted:

I made a spotlight of TE 4, let me know what you think goons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCaOmN4Dvic

Well done. The only issues I had were:
-You didn't mention more fuels the reactant dynamo uses. It can also use liquid pyrotheum. As well as a giant pile of other mod's liquids (and I think even auto-detects them), but you were looking at TE and only TE at the moment and if we listed all the liquids/items the reactant dynamo used we'd be here forever.
-The igneous Extruder actually makes cobblestone and smooth stone completely freely., just like how a vanilla cobblestone generator doesn't actually eat source blocks. Only obsidian devours magma/water.
-I have no idea why you were so worried about not including the TE pipes with the rest of the mod. They were only really split from the main set in 1.7x due to difficulties porting them to the new minecraft version.

That being said, it was informative enough that even I learned a few new things. Mainly I stopped using illuminators because you couldn't dye them, I didn't realize it was because they had their own color sliders now. That and I need to use the teleport pads in the next game/base I make because those were beautiful.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't know why I never tried it before, but apparently smelteries can be literally any dimensions, not just 3x3. My mind is racing at the possibilities, up to and including dong smelteries.

No reason to feel dumb. For the longest time it was 3x3xn only, the "any size" update has been a relatively recent thing and it was updated without very much fanfare.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

Speaking of TiC, I'm trying to make a stupidly overpowered bow in Omp Sigma. Is there any consensus on the best combo of materials? Making the bow out of slime and enchanted fabric seems to be the way to go according to what I've googled, but I'm not so sure about arrow materials. And no one seems to know which modifiers should go on the bow and which should go on the ammo.

Someone on the last Progress server did a lot of testing, turns out the best bow material (short or crossbow, and well longbow but those are just unweildy to use) is, of course, slime. pink > blue > green >> all metals for the parts that take metal/slime. Ludicrous damage, rapid reload rate. Obviously the ammunition should be manyllium or some expensive/absurd metal like that, coated in moss and all the nether quartz you can stuff on it, but the bow/crossbow should be slime.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

No clue. :shrug:

Honestly with a lot of other tools slime's not so great besides maybe a handle for insane durability. Actually makes for some interesting decisions on how you want to twink out your pick, hammer or sword. But for some reason with the bows all thought of interesting balance was tossed out the window and it's slime all the way down.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

Does this mean the strings and stuff too or is that still fire string or enchanted fabric or something as best?

Since I'm pretty sure Slime String doesn't exist, you just do whatever. Natura's Flamestring will give it +attack and -fire rate (takes longer to draw). No clue you could use enchanted fabric to make TiC strings.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

It sort of makes sense, if you assume slime to be highly elastic and flexible. You want the bow/string to be able to stretch as far as possible, while snapping rather violently back to their original shapes once you stop pulling.

That part makes sense, but for some reason the math is set up so making even the body of a crossbow out of a rigid metal punishes you.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The real annoying thing is that Endermen are immune to ranged (they just teleport) which are the real enemies I want to use TiC crossbows on. Goddamnit fucker, put that grass block down! That's my garden you're tearing up! :bahgawd:

Luckily EnderIO has a special sword just for those fuckers.

Jaramin posted:

So what's the "everything plus the kitchen sink" modpack de jour? I've been looking to get back into the game for awhile now, and I have no idea where to start, I just want everything to play with.

Either Modderation: Permabanned or the OMP suite. Check the PGS subforum for more information on both.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

If the pack you're in has Xeno's Reliquary, make a hunter's handgun for endermen. They, like all things, cannot outsmart boolet.

E: And for those who ar gonna ask, yes. OMPi is blowing up in about 5-10 minutes, come on in, grab op and go to town.

How long until the restart? Is that tomorrow because I've been itching to play on a Minecraft server ever since Progress went poof.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

Doesn't the shock focus sometimes set them on fire? Can't collect ender pearls if they keep teleporting 12 chunks away into some random cave.

I could totally see the older wand foci doing that, but the newer ones (post focus enchantment table thingy) don't seem to light mobs on fire.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

mechanicalFactory posted:

So, any else encounter something weird with Factorization? Because uh :stare:

I found this thing in a RFTools generated world. It was a completely immobile structure until I broke a block on it, then it started moving around.
Its name was constantly distorting, and the mined away blocks were "Colossal" blocks.
It fell apart after I broke all of the broken blocks on its body, and gave me logic matrix's and a programmer after it finally collapsed.
EDIT
The modpack I was using was Modderation: Permabanned Edition

It's a new thing Factorization added. They're really cool and awesome, if ultimately both mostly pointless unless you're going deep into FZ and, well, mostly harmless.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 17, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

chairface posted:

Does either have Magical Crops with the MFR compatibility patch yet?

Modderation: yes, you can use either MFR or EIO machines to harvest magic crops.

OMP-i: most likely. It is currently, at the very moment of writing this post, in very heavy redevelopment by Stealth Archer for the day.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

So I got back into Minecraft, breezed through Baby's First Space Race (well, until it broke), and picked up OMP-I to fiddle with.

Are you playing single player, or are you playing on Stealth Archer's server?

quote:

some poo poo brown lake that I think poisoned me when I fell in it

Congratulations on identifying it correctly, it is indeed literal poo poo! You can thank MFR for adding sewage! It's used for making crop fertilizer, but really not needed (thanks to Agricraft, KoL took a tiny 7x7 autofarm I'd made last night and upgraded the crops so that it was producing 3-4 THOUSAND wheat an hour).

quote:

There's a whole bunch of magic stuff mods I've never seen before

Thaumcraft, Blood Magic, and Botania seem to be the best magic mods. They're basically esoteric tech mods hidden behind "maaaagic!", though Thaumcraft has an annoying research aspect to it.

quote:

I thought I'd best ask if there's any particular gotchas I should be aware of or if I'm good to just blindly forge ahead with landscaping and rebuilding this area to be nicer looking and not so gravel filled.

Don't stand under falling sand/gravel? As far as I can tell there's no sneaky terrain bombs of death in OMP-i. No Gas Craft so no opening up a cave filled with natural gas and suffocating. Just don't go too into Dimensional Door random dungeons as you'll lag the server to death, and don't research too many "forbidden" items in Thaumcraft too fast.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

At this point I just give myself a cheat sheet Thaumonomicon every time. I don't care at all about scanning the right objects in the right order to unlock every compound aspect, I don't care about keeping enough research points to slowly unlock each item, I don't care about doing that goddamn linking puzzle another 50+ times again. I don't care about any of it. Thaumcraft 4 has so many goddamn currencies, including Vis, Essentia, and Research points.
It's not like the poo poo in Thaumcraft is FREE once you research it. You still have to actually create it with vis and resources and essentia and poo poo. Thermal Expansion doesn't make you collect Ore Points to research machine frames before you can craft them. Blood Magic makes you pay for stuff with blood but you don't need to travel the world taking blood samples from various blocks to learn about them first.
It's just so tedious now. I view it like I do Mystcraft's page collection: Kinda fun the first time, but not something I want to do every loving time I start a new world or modpack.

That's pretty much my view on it too. I wouldn't mind if, say, the book came with everything BUT the "forbidden knowledge" researched so that you could still do everything and then chose to research1-2 things that may hurt or annoy you. Or just remove the stupid warp bullshit anyways and give me everything, that would be great. I keep wanting to start out with Thaumcraft before beating my head against it for a while. By the time I can get magical smelting up I always have at least a pulverizer/redstone furnace or SAG mill/alloy smelter system up and running and I just can't give a poo poo anymore.

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

How useful/interesting is Railcraft?

Good:
-boilers and steam power system
-multiblock tanks (yes an ME computer with the mod to do liquids is better, it just looks cool to have a 4x5x5 tank full of your favorite liquid here sitting about.)

Bad:
-Invisible heat blocks (it's a config setting and any reasonably intelligent modpack will have disabled them)
-trains are neat but really not all that worthwhile

Hilarious:
-electrified (read: instant death on touch) rail.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Danger Mahoney posted:

Are essence seeds disabled in OMP-i? I haven't seen one drop from breaking grass yet.

They indeed are. If you're on Stealth's server there's a store at spawn for people to buy them from. If not, well you could always cheat them in.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That's just awesome. Please tell me that thing is not a reference to some crazy anime.

Alright, I won't tell you. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Less complaining about ponies more posting cool machines

I've been experimenting with Technomancy since StealthArcher added it to the latest OMP-i, and it's got some pretty neat stuff in it. After a few tests I discovered the Essentia Dynamo produces 96,000 RF per Ignis essentia, which is more than enough to power a galvanized bellows (RF consuming device that fuels alchemical furnaces). Here I've got a glacial precipitator pumping infinite snowballs into the furnace which is melted down into Gelum essentia, centrifuged down into Perditio and Ignis. This is basically a magic reactor that runs on water. The Everfull Urn provides infinite water, so it's upkeepless forever. It looks super cool too! Thaumcraft is spergy but man its blocks do have style.

Seriously, Thaumcraft would be such an awesome mod if Azanor could pull his "~vision~" out of his rear end and strip out research and just have the Thuamonomicon being an in-game reference book. The mod already has progression of sorts after, it's not like you can jump straight to silverwood pimpcanes at the start.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Only had time for a quick bit of snark before work, hope it provides amusement.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

There don't appear to be any useful mods like tinkers, or any of the factory style mods available for 1.8 either.

I don't get why everyone has such a hard on for 1.7

Because a lot was changed in the back-end to make the game run better, therefore modders look at it and go "More work? Ew."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Krakatoah posted:

Speaking of thaumcraft I haven't gotten used to it's warp mechanic yet and it makes me nervous because I can't expect when it's going to bugger me sideways with an eldritch guardian out of nowhere, should I even be worried about it in the long term?

Get a ring of runic shielding or two and some half-decent armor (even iron would work with runic shielding). The shielding rings give you 5 hits where you literally take no damage and recharges from your wand, this activates on anything: poison, lava, etc. the shielding will take the damage first (and on poison/wither it regenerates fast enough that it will eat about half of the poison ticks anyways).

Next get a lightning focus for your want and upgrade it. Congratulations, you have won Minecraft combat, even eldritch guardians have been reduced to annoying squatters and non-threats who appear in your house, create "spooky" mist and go "OOoooOOOooo" until you find and zap them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Truga posted:

Yeah, I prefer TE textures to enderio myself.

I think TE's textures beat out any EIO machine that's a solid, dull block, but any EIO machine that's got a non-cube shape (i.e. vat, combustion engine, zombie head generator) is far superior asthetically because it's nice to have things that aren't blocks in Minecraft.

I'm with McFrugal. What the hell does this...thing do besides being a danger to you, your neighbors and fabric of reality itself? :magical:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Reason posted:

I just got back from the moon with galacticraft and I can't jump anymore. Help?

"I just got back from the moon and boy are my legs broken!" :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Goncyn posted:

Apparently this just got updated for 1.7.10. It looks pretty neat -- has anyone used it before? Thoughts?

http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/224613-engineers-toolbox

Oh, that was one of the neater tech mods in 1.6.4. Still had a lot of kinks to work out, but let you build some rather interesting systems.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Truga posted:

One of my friends really likes bee/tree breeding and got super into it in a world we did a while ago.

That said, it's one of those things you do once and never again, because the first time it's fun for the exploration/discovery of things, every next time it seems to me it'd just be tedious at best.

Kinda like Thaumcraft research, really :v:

While the Bees::Research comparison is accurate on the face of it, they're a few orders of magnitude apart.

Thaumcraft is like barking your shin on a low table compared to Forestry bees kneeing you in the balls.

Of course repeating Thaumcraft research is like being being forced to constantly listen to nails on the chalkboard compared to dealing with any other tech/magic mod.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Day 4 in the Big Brother Spaceship.

Make sure you click the tendril again. :stare:

Some taint seems to be growing on the camera lens too.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Magres posted:

I remember the frost being more white and less purple yesterday, though that could be my eyes playing tricks on me

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I actually don't remember it all but that could be me just not noticing things.

Honestly, it's a Thaumcraft based pack focused on taint, so I'm automatically suspicious of anything purple.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Board games have really gone downhill since monopoly and risk came out

Monopoly? Ewwww.

Seirously, go play some real (and actually fun) boardgames like Ticket to Ride or Catan.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh nice, the Discover button on the Technic Launcher is now covered in taint too...and obviously leads you to the Blightfall page.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gah, I'm guessing this is a Windows 10 issue but I can't get it to admit I have 64 bit Java (I double checked/re-downloaded) and therefore allocate more than 1 GB of memory to Minecraft on launch. Which means it freaks out and refuses to play.

No Blightfall for me, at least not right away.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Taffer posted:

What exactly does reputation do? I see that supplies "cost" reputation, but what happens when you go below 0? Or WAY below 0?

The command crew go "Welp, back to Earth we go!"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Fixed the memory bug! As with nearly every issue with Win10, the answer is reinstall the program (or validate on steam).

Also, VERY first seed request, I get a soul sand and netherwart. Can't eat it, but, gently caress yeah jackpot! Oh well, I guess I'll just juice me some apples.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Reason posted:

I am on W10 and do not have this problem. Make sure you completely uninstalled Java first or something?

As I said I fixed it by reinstalling Technic. Seems to be the common fix for any W10 upgrade related issues.

Also, Beta Site has a nifty mineshaft system under it. Also lava. Also...poison spider spawner next to taint/lava. :gonk:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Hmm, right, now I need to find copper (real copper, not just iron in chalk that confuses me) and tin to get bronze to get gold to actually make an iron pick head and...

Huh, got a fusewood sapling from the supplier. Well that will be good for blowing myself the gently caress up.

"Fusewood can mine anything iron can." :stare:

:gibs: :getin:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I just noticed my hunger is set to look at the last 250 items. And somehow apple juice counts as roast chicken? What values do I need to edit in the hunger overhaul to reduce the 250 to something sane?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

President Ark posted:

It's not last 250 items, it's 250 hunger points. I think.

Oh, if it goes by hunger that's not nearly as bad. That's more like 20-50 items, just gotta get the right Pam's materials for some good stuff.

McFrugal posted:

If apple juice is sharing the same diminishing returns history as roast chicken you might want to report that as a bug. As far as the 250 is concerned, that is indeed a sizable history, but you should also keep in mind there are a lot of different foods you can make with harvestcraft even with only a few ingredients. For instance if you only have cucumbers you can 1) eat them raw 2) make stock out of them 3) make garden soup via the stock and raw cucumbers or 4) make seed soup.

Yeah, that's the only thing that I could figure out my diminishing returns from the chicken came from. It was my starter food and the only thing I had eaten in any amount...and then when I got chicken I was suddenly at half effectiveness.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Magres posted:

Yeah except that was my food strategy in Blightfall 1. Let me game the system :mad:

Has anyone figured out where you can get sugar cane? I haven't found any yet anywhere and I'm not getting any out of the seed bags

I was about to ask this earlier but I found it in the swamp, a bit east of the teleport. Took me a while to even see it since it's purple/brown.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

so far i've been having a good bit of fun with blightfall, but it's been kinda tough to get my bearings because i've somehow never messed around much with the mods that are heavily used for some things, like the smelter and whatnot. on the flipside, i've gone entirely through the botania content on a server in the past, but it looks like botania usage is going to be a little bit limited this go around.

also, is there...really any point to collecting the shimmerleaf and/or having the ship make artificial ones?

The smelter's pretty cool because it's relatively cheap and easy ore doubling early on. Which is important, especially in this modpack where your access to machines is gated pretty hard.

Also, if you've never looked into them before, you can totally automate smelters. Replace the drain with a hardened (invar) fluiduct (since temperate ones will explode after carrying molten liquid for too long) and put a basic (glass, redstone, 2 iron nuggets, 2 iron bars) servo on it and it will auto drain into an ingot mold. Have an item duct pull from the casting table and now you've got an auto ingot-casting smeltery. Just dump your ore in, walk away, collect ingots later.

Even better is that you can use an itemduct to pump items to smelt directly into the smeltery's controller. Great for if you want a massive batch of clear glass, have an excess of stone (8 cobblestone = 1 seared stone or 4 seared bricks) or just have a giant pile of iron that you haven't finished smelting yet because you can only put a handful at a time in your tiny, baby smelter. Just be careful of unwanted alloys. I accidentally wasted a good chunk of gold since I didn't realize it alloyed with iron to make a really worthless alloy I can't use for gold or iron.

Also, getting into Thaumcraft research/insanity. What's a good source of ink/black dye since squids don't spawn in tainted water? At least until I get one of the fancier pens from the other thaumcraft mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Magres posted:

So I take back what I said about the mines underneath beta having two spider spawners, cause I just popped a third :stare:

Yeah, I've found three myself. Haven't really explored that strenuously though. Just getting started on Thaumcraft stuff and gonna try to beeline my way to an arcane bore for sanity reasons.