Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

probably not new but :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

only botania and vanilla redstone allowed

i might just try it, but the only problem is how the heck do I get oak leaves for the rune of autumn

the bore lens doesn't break leaves

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How is this copper thing supposed to work in TFC? I blew two day cycles trying to pan, and two more trying to find some in the four cardinal directions. No dice. I got iron, and just enough copper from panning to make a saw. So I am glad I could make a door, but I was hoping for a pick.

Have you found any small copper on the ground amongst rocks? Tetrahedrite and malachite are copper-bearing ores.

I like to set a waypoint with a minimap mod any time I find a cluster of ore pebbles on the ground, because they always betray a cluster or vein underground. When you have a saw, pick, and prospector's pick, you can come back and mine it out.

e: gold pans are kind of a crapshoot, they are basically a last-ditch option if you can't find enough pebbles on the ground to grunt out the three basic tools

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

if you do need to pan, remember that it checks overworked-ness by chunk, so if you overwork an area, walk at most 16 blocks in one direction and try again

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

also if you are finding a lot of iron around you are probably in a sedentary top layer, which is absolute balls for the early game due to its nearly nonexistent copper content (though pick up some flux bearing stone like limestone or chalk if you find that so you can start making leather and poo poo)

i like http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Ores_&_Minerals for figuring out what kind of metals are generally going to be in a given top layer

if you can hoof it to a metamorphic or igneous extrusive top layer then you will have a much better time of it

in the early tfc game I usually just keep exploring until I find clay, flux, fresh water, and enough copper and maybe bronze ingredients to make all four tools (chisel, pick, propick, saw) at once

also taming a horse is absolutely worth it

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

After traveling around for a few kilometers, I figured out I have spawned in Sedimentary Hell. I just cheated in a little bit of copper to make the kit and started digging down. Naturally, I found a huge coal vein under my cabin. I then punched into an igneous extrusive layer. Can I now expect to run into something more interesting?

Getting ore out of the second and third rock layers is always a lot more challenging because you can't rely on the surface pebbles to do the prospecting for you. You're going to burn through an assload of wood and probably destroy your picks before you find anything.

I'd either make a new map, or make about a zillion small clay vessels for your stuff and start heading towards the equator. Use F3 to find the temperature of the biome, and try to stick between 10 and 25 degrees (for hot hot fruit tree action.) If you can find and tame a horse for the journey, so much the better.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm on an island. A large island, but an island nonetheless. I guess I'm starting over. I'll just cheat some crap in so I can act like I was in the new seed the whole time.

I found a continent with metamorphic rock, but now no sedimentary rock. How large are these rock layers generally?

They're pretty big. Exploration is a big part of TFC; you need a lot of disparate materials to really get you going.

Metamorphic layers are perfectly serviceable; they have flux by way of Marble so you won't really need the sedimentary layer until much later in the "tech tree." All sedimentary layers really offer you is kaolinite; coal is markedly inferior to charcoal in TFC and mostly exists as a convenience item for heating forges, and stuff like rock salt and sylvite is nice to have but not required. Food generation in TFC is tuned for multiplayer servers, so as long as you explore and pick up the food as it matures, your food will rot before you get around to eating it (especially if you are preserving food with brine, smoke, and pickling.)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you generally have a bunch of outposts or something then?

What kind of gets me is that 4/5 of the worlds I started put me on sedimentary islands. To even leave the islands to check the larger world, I'd need to build a boat, and I'd need a saw for that. So I was going to have to pan no matter what. I'm trying to use the Omp TFC pack. Should I consider a different one? I wonder if I'm hitting different terrain generation parameters. All the videos I saw online had people out in open land somewhere. The most recent seed I made has a large enough island where I think I can actually do that this time.

Is there a debug method for checking rock layers and things like that? All I can think to do is look at the rocks in chasms.

Nah, I just do a LOT of exploring before I settle down. I generally won't even bother to build a base in the early game until I've found enough copper for a saw and a chisel, and I prefer to also find flux, clay, raw hide, and add waypoints for the location of some fruit trees before I really make a base. After I find a convenient source of clay and fresh water, then I'll build a base and start smelting the copper and/or alloying the bronze components that I've found, as well as planting seeds. It is usually summer by the time this happens, possibly later. Then, when it's time to cull the landscape for later-tier stuff, I will have a horse tamed and ready to extend my daily range significantly. (Until I drive the drat horse off the edge of a ravine :argh:)

The fact that you're starting on islands is a little weird. I usually get some pretty seriously large continents when I play. Maybe try another pack? I usually just put together the packs myself using MultiMC (with a minimap mod, invtweaks, waila, and maybe fastcraft if I remember.) I haven't actually played TFC in a dog's age, though, so the pack I made is probably out of date and broken.

I'm not sure about the rock layer question, so I'll answer it pretty comprehensively. The first (surface) rock layer is easily determined by the rocks you find on the ground. Rock layers are generated first in terms of layer type (sedimentary, etc), then inside each layer type are different varieties of the stone in that layer type (rock salt, limestone, etc.)

I don't really worry too much about the second and third rock layers, honestly. However, if you want to know what they are, your best bet is to find a mountainous area, then check around the base of the mountains for exposed stone. Usually the second rock layer will jut up out of the ground around the base of the mountains, and give you an idea of what to expect. I also want to say that the stone around hot springs betrays the content of the third and deepest rock layer, but I'm not 100% on that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Khorne posted:

Pick up a bunch of dumb rocks on the ground. Later use the prospecting pick + mining pick to locate a vein. Veins of copper are GIGANTIC in this game, so actually finding it is quite annoying compared to vanilla minecraft.

How is it annoying? You don't have to mine every last scrap of copper you find. I'll generally carve out what I think I'll need immediately and just leave the rest in the ground to pick up later. Inventory management is annoying enough in TFC without having to build a zillion chests to store ore in.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Khorne posted:

Finding the vein is annoying. Mining it is not annoying.

Oh, I read that as "stumbling upon a huge vein of copper that I gotta mine out and store is annoying," not "locating the vein in the first place is annoying."

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Khorne posted:

Isn't clay everywhere? It's just under the yellow grass stuff or something. I don't know if they changed it, but that's how it was last time I played TFC.

No -- there is a minimum amount of rainfall before any will generate. You'll never find it in areas with the scrubby-looking grass.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

More Terrafirmacraft questions. Do you generally find a spot where you can pick up enough surface copper to make a pick from just one rough area? I have not been so fortunate. There were a few tetrahedrite patches I have noted, but I only got something like 3 from each of them. I might be able to make some bronze with the other stuff I found, but it's odd to me I'm having so much more luck with that than copper... again.

Now I am set up in an area between metamorphic and sedimentary surfaces, and right at the edge of the tree line. It opens up to really shoddy plains where I can more clearly see different stones on the ground. I've seen a variety of things within 400 meters around: sphalerite, gold, magnetite, garnierite, and bismuthinite. However, I've only barely seen any copper-like stuff.

The area I was going to first start in--until I found out I couldn't get any clay--had exposed copper veins. I guess I have to just bumble my way to a bronze pick or something and run back there to bang away for some time.

It's pretty rare to pick up enough copper-bearing ore from a single spot. There's usually 2-7 or so nuggets. One trick, as dumb as it sounds, is to search more thoroughly in the area once you've found one. The ground nuggets are actually kinda hard to spot, and have a tendency to hind behind trees or other clutter. I have marked a copper nugget spot on my minimap, then come back later to mine out the vein underneath and found more nuggets that I simply overlooked on my first pass through.

It's also possible that the nuggets are being generated by a vein in the second layer, which makes them quite a bit less likely to spawn (as the nugget to vein relationship has a maximum range that doesn't really show up unless the second layer is pretty close to the surface.)

Also, are you purposefully setting up near sedimentary layers, or is it just what you've been getting in your world? If it's on purpose, why bother with sedimentary layers at all?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

All the travel requirements are why I prioritize taming a horse over a lot of stuff. You need rope, leather, flux, and grains, but this is doable with pre-metal tools (you can process leather and jute in large clay vessels, and you need flux to make the limewater needed to process hide into leather.)

Once you have the horse, your speed increases significantly, and the 1-block step assist is not bad either. Horses (and most animals other than chickens) tend to spawn more frequently in the low-rainfall, scrubby grass areas, so they have some value.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, salt water has a use -- it is needed for brine, which is an important step in food preservation. My ideal base location has easy access to both fresh and salt water, among other criteria.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oh, also also, while I'm thinking of it, here is a great tool: http://infinitepossibilitygames.com/TFCAlloyCalc/

This will help you figure out how many pieces of ore to huck into a clay vessel to get a type of bronze.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Ex Nihilo is a fun bridging mod but I absolutely can't stand skyblocks that rely on it anymore. The first one or two times was okay. But if I have to sit around waiting for rain to fall/a tree to finally grow/silkworms to infest my one tree/enough saplings to compost to dirt so I can hopefully sieve some stone pebbles, I'm gonna loving lose it. No one enjoys that goddamn part of skyblocks! Skip that part! Or at least accelerate it! Assist it in some loving way, don't just leave ex Nihilo to do all the lifting and make your mod/quest come in like an hour later.
There's a reason Sky Den comes with a prebuilt cobblestone generator and an automator shortly after that.

I feel like Agrarian Skies 2 did a decent job of accelerating you through the very beginnings of an Ex Nihilo skyblock map. Among the earliest quest rewards were a device that forces the map to rain, you started with loads of bonemeal, even on harder difficulties, and another reward had a Fortune-enchanted crook.

Speaking of skyblocks, Vazkii made a skyblock map based around Botania called "Garden of Glass." I haven't played it, but it uses only Botania and not Ex Nihilo

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

This sounds interesting. Is there a modpack that uses it? Even just adding a small HQM book to it would be neat, for a few milestones to work towards.

Garden of Glass is less than a week old, so probably not.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My TFC base area is generally good, but I have no visible flux stone. How rare is that stuff? I have made it 8km to 0,0 and I found none. Also, how does rock salt generate?

Flux is generally more common in sedimentary areas, and can spawn as Marble in metamorphic layers. Outside of those, you will never find it.

Rock salt is just another sedimentary layer type. It's nice to have (as is Sylvite,) but hardly necessary, as you can only really use it for meat. (Soybeans tend to be my protein of choice in TFC, as plants are a lot easier to sustain.)

e: to put a finer point on it, I never actively look for rock salt when exploring. It's more the sort of thing that is a nice bonus when I do stumble upon it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have plenty of metamorphic. Is marble kind of its own layer, or does it just show up in pockets? I never saw it, although I should note I have not dug down. Can I expect a lower sedimentary layer that I might be able to exploit?

Nah -- it's just a type of metamorphic stone. The way terrain generation works in TFC is first, the map is cut up into clusters consisting of rock groups, so you'll have a large area of metamorphic rock, then sedimentary, and so on. Randomly generated, of course. Then, each layer cluster divides itself up into smaller subclusters of individual stone types. The takeaway here is that if you find, for example, some shale, you know you're in a sedimentary cluster area, and that other types of sedimentary rock should have their own subclusters nearby.

Inside a given subcluster, the stone type is homogenous, so you don't have to spend a whole lot of time paying attention to every single rock on the ground, just keep moving and when the rock color changes, pick up some rocks and find out where you are.

This can help inform what resources to expect. For example, being in a sedimentary cluster means that you'll probably find a subcluster of a flux mineral easily, as well as plenty of bismuth and even some iron, but copper will be near-impossible to find, only existing in Limestone as malachite. Conversely, a metamorphic area will have lots of copper and zinc, but you'll never find any gold, and flux will be somewhat more difficult to find. Igneous extrusive/intrusive clusters won't have flux at all.

In the early game, you are only ever concerned about the first, topmost layer. (The second layer can jut up out from the ground in mountainous areas, but without a mining pick it's not very helpful to you.) Sedimentary stone only ever shows up in the top layer. Metamorphic can show up in the top two layers, and the two igneous layers can be in any of the three (and one of them is always the third, bottom layer.)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have conglomerate right near where I was camping out, but all I ever saw from it was conglomerate before it switched over to metamorphic. This was something like a square kilometer. Should I have just combed that area much more?

You don't need to comb a specific area, just find where the stone changes. If you, e.g., went north while exploring, try heading towards "center mass" of the area and then going east, or west. This will of course depend on how the oceans are forming in your particular map.

Also, if you don't have a map mod like JourneyMap or something that lets you explore the world map and add waypoints, you're probably going to have a much rougher time of it. Being able to see the world map and add waypoints is nearly essential.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I decided to crank out one of the harder Botania challenges and make an auto-spectrolus machine.

http://imgur.com/a/6ub0U

Uses only Botania and vanilla redstone (though the pack I am playing has lots of other mods, which I used to gather resources and dig out the underground platform.)

The mechanics behind it are pretty simple. Drum of the Gathering shears dyed sheep, wool is gathered by a hopperhock and sent into a standard hopper sorter, which puts each color of wool into its own chest. A minecart is sent on a long path, where it visits 16 of those little 3x5 stations with the purple block. These stations inject a single colored wool into the minecart and send the cart off to the next station. Once it gets to the end, the cart is held in place by that glass + piston until it's drained of all its contents, which are dumped on top of the flower above ground in the order that the Spectrolus demands. Then, the cycle begins again.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hitch posted:

Like the one in the OpenBlocks mod? That does essentially what you are looking for.

though make sure you edit the config so the elevator doesn't use experience points when you use it

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

uXs posted:

Ooh that looks pretty sweet. Thanks!

edit: doesn't seem to work with 1.8 :I

Do ANY mods work with 1.8 at all?

Also, I started a TFC map, and my first map I made had rock salt right at the spawn. :smugdog: (Too bad it is useless before I get a chisel to make a quern)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

We'll just assume that there won't be any copper 10 km around you.

trufax, i haven't found any copper yet

though I only really got to play for about half an hour before I had to get back to work :v:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

trip report: granite and sedimentary layers are dominating this map

however, I did manage to find four tertrahedrite in a granite layer! this must be a metamorphic layer as second coming close to the surface

i also found silver (first game I can remember ever finding it) and gold, which would normally give me enough for black bronze tools...

except i only found four of the six copper you need to make black bronze

:rip:

my journey continues

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

try the seed 2997192267778216767 for the latest tfc version

there's rock salt, and at 14095, -10939 there is loads of limestone

copper has proven somewhat sparse however

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

It doesn't have bloody loving TiCon :worship:

what's wrong with tinker's construct :confused:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

woah i had no idea this existed

who dafuq would want to use EE2 in tyool 2015, this was the worst mod in existence and ruined everything

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i think we are conflating redpower and ee2 here but yeah those mods had some pretty awful features

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

on that note it looks like the redpower 2 dev is making a whole new game instead of trying to keep up with minecraft

http://www.eloraam.com/

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have TFC questions.

What are some quality-of-life mods that improve it? I think I saw some stuff with carpenter's blocks and realized that would be nice.

Is there a quick tweak to get stairs back in? I just do not understand why they have to be made in-place with a chisel.

Is there anything I should focus on during the winter? Are there winter-specific things I should get? I am in my first one now and want to know what to look out for.

Finally, is there any way to set up crop irrigation? I see I can't drop blocks of water from buckets. I was hoping to do something better than carving plots out of river banks. Will water fill in if I dig out from a body of water? I know a 1-block-wide hole will not, but IIRC one can propagate water by tactfully digging 2-wide.

There's a bunch of stuff in their forums: http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/forum/29-addons-applications/ . I actually kinda want to try that scales mod as one of the things I hate most in TFC is trying to cut very specific amounts of a food item to put into a barrel or clay vessel. There's also https://github.com/whelmaze/tfc-waila-plugin/releases which I have not tried.

I don't think there's a way to make stair blocks. Maybe with carpenter's blocks?

In winter, the main thing to make sure to do is to hoard water in barrels. If water around your area starts to freeze, you won't be able to get drinkable water easily. I think you MIGHT be able to break ice and get water source blocks for a little while, but it's better to be safe and get all the fresh (+salt) water you need. Most of the time it's too cold to farm, so just live off of your food stocks and explore.

Crop irrigation is something you can only really do with Red Steel buckets, which are at the end of the "tech tree." They let you move water source blocks around. Otherwise, you're stuck with what you can dig a channel with. This is why I usually set up near a flat area with fresh water, so I have lots of room for growing stuff.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ah, terrafirmacraft autumn, time to collect the harvest

not a bad little haul considering how late I planted all this junk

let's take it downstairs to the larder and put it in the chest for food that needs to be brined and pickl--

gently caress

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Much as I'm looking forward to the Modderation: FYAD server I'm wondering if there'll be any 'easy' regen sources for the early Blood Magic self-bleeding game. Fallen Kanades from Botania are so good for that task :v:

Vanilla instant health potions?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How does all this metal stuff really work with TFC? It looks like a minigame and the Wiki doesn't really explain it all. How should I generally approach it? My scheme right now is to make a copper anvil, and then proceed directly to a bronze anvil. Can I use just a stone hammer for that? Afterwards, what should I be doing? It looks like I need to make sheets for a bloomery, but I don't really know how that even works. Does it explain itself well once I get started?

A stone hammer works fine, but they don't have much durability. Probably the worst thing is when you're working a piece of metal in the anvil and your hammer dies on you, and by the time you get another one made, the drat thing you're working has cooled past the point of being able to be worked. If you can spare some metal for the job, cast yourself a copper or bronze hammer to make your life easier.

The anvil interface is indeed a minigame. Your goal is to get the bottom green arrow to line up exactly with the top red arrow by using the red and green buttons to move the green arrow back and forth along the track. In addition to this, whatever you're making has rules for what the last couple of actions have to be. What complicates this is that the actions aren't "mirrors" of each other -- they adjust the progress of the bar in different values. Red buttons move the green arrow left in increments of 3, 6, 9, and 15, while the green buttons move the green arrow forward in increments of 2, 7, 13, and 16.

Check http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Anvil for some more info on how to do stuff.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I just entered the username of "Poop" and it let me see all the stuff to buy

looks like they do the tf2 thing where you can get item crates and then you have to pay the server for a key to unlock them

and hey 2 stacks of diamonds for 6 bux

what a scummy server, your poor kid probably loves it too

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

(Does anybody actually enjoy bees?)

:cawg:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Blind Duke posted:

Those backpacks are the only ones that will replace stuff in your hotbar if it gets too low. The other backpack mod that advertised doing that has the problem of only restocking when you pick up an item. So if you are not paying attention you will use up all the blocks in a stack and have to go into the backpack to set it back in your hotbar.

It's infuriating that nobody else has gotten that right yet

Yeah -- if someone made a dedicated backpack mod that basically did everything Forestry backpacks do (and added Ctrl-Click and Ctrl-Mousewheel support too!) then everyone on the planet could uninstall Forestry forever. That poo poo is too useful otherwise.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AnimalChin posted:

Is there a way to mod a server without requiring users to mess with forge? I want to run a server with a few pretty simple mods (treecapitator or similar, ruins/battletowers or similar) that my friends can easily connect to without having to deal with the mess that is forge and multiple profiles in the stock launcher.

bukkit mods, however bukkit mods are lame and bad

or just have them use technic platform with a mod pack you create

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

AnimalChin posted:

Bukkit is unobtainable (dmca takedown) and outdated.

Technic requires users to deal with another system and I'm trying to avoid all that.

then you are poo poo Out Of Luck, forge mods require client-side modifications, full stop

technic platform is the easiest way for you to give modpacks to other people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Thyrork posted:

Progress so far, I have gone slightly mad. Going to be crushed if this ends up being gibberish! :unsmigghh:

Dont judge, its a lazy sunday.

that cutout on the upper right is probably "tainted"