Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Meskhenet posted:

Ok, made my statue, and pillar.

I read that i should pole up in the overworld before placing the beneath portal? Why is that?

In Sevtech, the only purpose of the beneath is to mine aquamarine or black quartz. The former spawns mostly at the top of the beneath (I know, I know...), the latter mostly at the bottom.

Whalley posted:

By the time you can upgrade it further (awakened/chaotic/infinity/etc) you've probably got access to dozens of tools that can kill anything and armor that makes you basically invulnerable.

To be fair, you're carelessly invincible long before that. Between Betweenlands green gems and Astral Sorcery attunement, you can be basically unkillable just in time for the Twilight Forest, which is...also probably the last time you'll have to actually kill anything. Sevtech can be weirdly kinda combat/exploration heavy early on, and then stops that dead in it's tracks and turns into full build/craft/grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Anias posted:

I covered the entire floor of the nearby ocean in squid totems when we cleared sevtech a while ago. Totemic is pretty crazy if you're willing to blanket your world in totem poles like they're utility poles (which they work fine as later)

You can also use high level wine from Rustic. Each bottle adds 2 minutes to all your positive buffs...regardless of how long those buffs would normally last. Set up a single area with just every goddamn totem effect you want and can squeeze in, then just sit in the center of all your totems and drink copiously to make yourself superhuman. Reminded me of Morrowind, but drunker.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Falcon2001 posted:

I'm getting a newfound appreciation for AssSorc in SevTech Ages.

Just got to the Immersive Engineering section of it...and boy I need a break. I just kind of forgot how frustrating it is to have to grind ALL THAT STEEL that you need for ALL THOSE MULTIBLOCKS. They're exciting, sure, but boy...so much steel.

Astral Sorcery is so beyond useful to Sevtech. The defensive ritual you can bind to yourself makes you invulnerable just in time for the Twilight Forest, it gives easy access to some great enchants for basically free (why yes, I think I will make my doggie boots impossible to break!), early elytra flight from one of the cloaks, a way better slingshot from one of the wands (which you can combine with the cloak for basically easy early flight), and while Horologium rituals are good, I got way more use early on out of the one that makes your animals just passively drop their meat, wool, and leather. No more two step fuckery with water basins, they just drop leather as is.

Anias posted:

Your avatar completely fits this post.

I'm just saying, getting that sea lantern and prismarine is easy when you're too drunk to drown :beerpal:

Rynoto posted:

By the point of starting ImEng you should be nearly into godhood with all of AssSorcs tools/mantles/enchanting and using unbreakable excavating tinkers tools. Unless you're just not automating enough the move into later mid game should be a breeze with the sheer amount of resources you can supply in short order.

Also Horologium rituals give tick speed increases if that's what you're waiting on.

Even with automation, immersive engineering is always a pain in the rear end. Has anyone seriously hosed around with it's weapons and items? None of them looked better then what I already had, and they seemed pretty time intensive to try to make and work with, and so immersive engineering ends up being little more then boxes to check off.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Infinite water is also as easy as putting up three aqueducts and putting water on the two ends. Congrats, the middle is now forever water.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The Twilight Forest is cool the first time you do it, and...kinda only the first time you do it. There's very few structured adventuring mods, so it stands out there, but goddamn are parts of it a pain in the rear end. The main problem is that there's just too much of certain things. Carmine and Ice tower stand out for being way too large for their own good.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Just allow cheats and creative mode past the shoggoths. And then do that for every other part that starts to seriously irritate you. Not saying this as a joke, the point of these modpacks is to have fun with the challenges, but sometimes the challenge can go gently caress itself so I can go back to having actual fun.

The problem with the dark gems and the shoggoths is that the real fun of sevtech is doing stuff like putting an earth wall around your thatch-roofed hut and horse-powered machines, building a big aquaduct to transport water to your big wheat fields, setting up a Rustic-based winery under your semi-medieval manor, putting together a cool vertical windmill and setting up all your kinetic-powered stuff inside, that kinda stuff - you know, actually playing around and building to each age's theme. Worse, it's making you do adventure stuff when you don't really have tools to get creative with it or succeed. If the abyssalcraft gate was put much later, even if it would be substantially easier, I think it'd be a lot better off. Like, it has you make an airship when you don't need it; by the time you have tools to explore in fun and interesting ways, you have no reason to ever leave your base beyond looking for another ore sample. It's weirdly backwards.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Vib Rib posted:

Abyssalcraft is hands down the worst part of Sevtech.

Betweenlands, if you actually try to do all the stuff in it, is not far behind.

And like I get it, it's sort of a way to get you to play through mods you might otherwise not - god knows everything else does Botania - but gently caress that swamp.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
At this point, how many big modpacks aren't skyblocks or skyblock-adjacent?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

does anyone have any recommendations for a quest based mod? i kind of need structure to keep invested in a game.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i tried it, i can't seem to get into it

Mycroft Holmes posted:

tried it, not interested.

How about you say what you are interested in then, because boy is this super helpful.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Black Pants posted:

Yeah I don't know why but pack makers seem to feel the best way to 'end' a story/progression/etc pack is to just give the player a single task that will take forever. Cleansing the world, Avaritia, collection challenges, 'now do everything in Millenaire', etc.

I want to give my pack an exciting, climactic finale and then it is done. Unless you want to sit around tending to your farm and village and so on after the story is finished I guess.

I feel like, at it's heart, people who make modpacks are way, way more interested in the "craft" part then the "Mine" part, and often to the game's detriment. It's why I'm so incredibly tired of skyblocks.

I think one of the reasons Sevtech was so popular was just because it actually encouraged you to do more then grind away at microcrafting...at least, for the first few ages.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

bird food bathtub posted:

Still really enjoying SevTech. I was childishly thrilled to watch a metal press punch out the first few ingot because it means I don't have to do them on a stone anvil or cast them one by one anymore.

Wife just rolled her eyes at me.

SevTech is super popular for a reason. While there's a lot to be said about parts being too grindy, the exploration aspects needing a lot more, and certain mods being abysmal (hur hur hur), there's something extremely satisfying about it's actual core progression of "start as caveman, end in space." Also, if you like doing actual builds, there's likewise a lot of satisfaction in having an excuse to build multiple buildings in all kinds of different architecture types across different eras, and then going back to see your previous bases.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The Abyssalcraft stuff feels like it comes just way too early. The first time I had to do this long trip with my lovely club and boat and such to find the Darklands was cool-ish, but between trying to kill Shadow creatures and then trying to deal with shoggoths, I just felt like I didn't have access to enough tools to really do it well. Making it worse is the fact that, unlike Astral Sorcery and Blood Magic, there's no real benefit to doing Abyssalcraft. Astral Sorcery gives you easy transmutation of a few things, some real good items, and the whole probably OP perk system. Blood Magic gives you a grip of stuff, from the bound equipment to, later on, item transportation (Blood Magic has always been weirdly tech-y for a magic mod). Admittingly I never got deep into Abyssalcraft, but it never felt like there as like...a reward for it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Man, I was super excited to unlock Blood Magic in my sevtech playthrough, and it was for one reason: the Sigil of the Blood Lamp. Light sources that didn't require you to punch acres of tall grass, can be shot at a distance, and don't rely on a wand that takes forty forevers to recharge? Sign me the gently caress up. See also: Air Sigil, Teleposers, whatever the Lava sigil is, and so on. It almost makes it worth the skids of smooth stone and :emo: you have to engage in to get yourself charged up.

Yeah, if there's one thing SevTech sometimes absolutely shines at, it's making other mods become amazing. Infinite lights, water, and lava are all things that are kinda ok in most other modpacks, and in SevTech I was beyond myself to get them. The leather climbing gloves becomes semi-game changing when you know jetpacks are a long-rear end ways away if they exist at all. Astral Sorcery's ritual where mobs drop their items becomes insane when making leather is normally such a process.

It's kinda weird; SevTech is ostensibly an expert pack, but is - er, on occasion - really good at putting mods in perspective on where they're good and useful. Like was mentioned earlier on the metal press, when the gating mechanic works, it works really well.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm not a part of the modding community, but I feel like Minecraft is now old enough that most of the mod drama has faded away. The major popularity seekers would've looked for other games by now, I'd assume.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Blightfall is very tricky to jump into because it is not a good first time introduction to Thaumcraft, but then, I don't know what is.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

bird food bathtub posted:

Never found a way to repair sentient swords, and it was the best way to get will that I found. That being said I dropped sentient swords like a bad habit once I got to Astral Sorcery imbued crystal swords. 14 attack at 2 attack speed I think? Plus a huge AoE that wrecks poo poo every few swings.

I'm weirdly obsessive and couldn't handle how fast those degraded and had to be resharpened and regrown and all that.

...So instead I used Astral Sorcery to give my sentient sword Sharpness, Power, Mending, and Looting all in one.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Bhodi posted:

Has anything de-throned blightfall yet in terms of end-game, story, or quest progression walking you through the various mods? I installed skyfactory 4 and the quest/achievement book is REALLY perfunctory with almost no guidance.

I don't have much experience with Exoria, but sssssssorrrrrrrrta SevTech. It uses the heat map style biomes instead of a hand-made world and...sometimes explains stuff through the quest-system (which is achievement based instead of quest-book based), but is more designed for you to just kinda tinker and gently caress around with stuff and figure it out on your own without too much stress being placed on you. There's a few places it breaks (everything connected to Abyssalcraft is rightfully hated, and it gets increasingly hands-off as you go up in tech levels), but it's usually pretty good at pointing in the direction you need to go, if not giving you a list of instructions. There's also no story beyond advancing through the ages.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Patware posted:

speaking of blightfall i forgot how much the thaumcraft essentia pipe system gives me a stroke

why is it so hard to just hook the thaumatorium up to accept five jars to cook balanced shards, like i feel like there's some crucial thing i'm overlooking

EDIT: i pulled it apart and put it back together the original way i had it that wasn't working and it just kind of worked this time. cool cool good.

DOUBLE EDIT: it made three more shards and broke again

TRIPLE EDIT: duh, valves

Q-Q-QUADRA EDIT: IT STOPPED AGAIN COME ON

It has been eons since I messed around with Thaumcraft, but I remember it's main automation was just using golems to transport all your essentia for everything.

I *think* the thaumatorium only hooks up on the top, and only in three places? Again, it's been a real goddamn long time.

Thaumcraft is interesting and well put together, and also frequently bad.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Vib Rib posted:

Man I'm terrible at designing sky bases. I mean I'm not great at designing any kind of base, but at least there's some kinda structure on land, building into terrain. On a skyblock, every single time I just end up with a huge flat plane with multiblocks, machines, and big squares of grass/farmland randomly scattered around it.
You'd think after years of skyblock packs I'd know how to set up an organized, aesthetically pleasing yet practical sky base but nope, not even close.

The is legitimately the #1 I'm extremely tired of skyblocks.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Most of the aforementioned magic mods are good, with one caveat: if you're obsessive about making builds and buildings for all your things, Thaumcraft and Blood Magic are both great for big thematic builds, but Astral Sorcery, with it's open air mandate and very large multiblock structures, might drive you mad. It has surely driven me insane in my quest to make things aesthetically pleasing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

(1) Blood Magic's altars are bigger and uglier than Astral Sorcery's, they just don't have to be outside. (2) You quickly get access to a relay mechanic in AS that allows you to move most things indoors.

Yeah but I can still work with and around the altars aesthetically, whereas with Astral Sorcery the only real "build" you end up with is "outdoor ruins" and you can only do that so many times in so many places. The only time I've done a full AS build I was happy with was when I just went into creative and made big floating islands to put them on.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely have enjoyed stuff like Thaumcraft more than most mods because it fits well with the fact that minecraft is a first person lego game, it gets you to build fun looking stuff. Sadly some of the things like the ambient effects of everything near a research bench seem to have been taken out in the latest version.

More modpacks would benefit from that philosophy I think though, introducing cool looking things to build and a focus on the experience of using them, minecraft is quite a tactile game and a lot of mods seem to work really hard at taking that out and turning it into a number cruncher.

I agree big time. The number one thing that turns me off from modpacks is the inevitable descent into tech mods and automation that it feels like *every single one has*. The big fun is making your thematic builds. The huge popularity of skyblock maps, which almost all just turn into a horrible mishmash of ill-fitting machines built around "efficiency," is a pretty big warning sign.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, it'd be nice to have some structured 'dungeons' and maybe that's the way to unlock more crafting/etc. "At the end of dungeon one, you find a workbench!' etc.

DDSS was great until I realized how tedious all the crafting would be. :\ I think that Ultimate Alchemy is the last modpack I played that I really went 'whoa that's a neat idea on', because it immediately gives you infinite wood and stone and is just about the automation of all those things, and that was faaaantastic. I might go back and try it again honestly.

DDSS is a handful of good ideas buried in horseshit. The idea of "you want a cool central base to do a bunch of crafting but still need to use that crafting to go out and adventure, then bring back your goods and use it to craft better stuff and make a radder base" is exactly what Minecraft should be good at, and they hosed it all up by demanding just more and more and more goddamn automation and absolutely atrocious crafting requirements.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
So thinking on it, as cliche as it sounds, I think my problems boil down to a kinda basic turn around on the game's themes, which are...right there in the name. You mine. You craft. But to actually kinda translate it, it's "you go on vague adventures deep underground (or not, increasingly) to find Cool Things, then play legos with your base and over time make it cooler and better with stuff you find on your vague adventures." The craft can also be looked at as "take the stuff from your vague adventures and make it into a new thing," like sticking three sticks and some iron together to make a sword.

My issue with the heavy focus on automation so many modpacks have is it kinda kills off both of those things. Automation is many things, but it is very rarely aesthetically pleasing; I remember looking at some "optimized" forms of Botania and thinking about how they took the mod all about making magical gardens and made it ugly as poo poo. It's also more or less built around intentionally killing off the vague adventures bit; automation means you absolutely do not want to go out and explore and have vague adventures, you want to sit in your lovely ugly outdoor rube goldberg machine putting in more pipes. And for that last one, you hit the reason for automation, which is so many mods basically removing a lot of that "make a cool new thing" and turn the process into a big pain in the rear end.

I think early game Sevtech is / was super popular because it did really well in both the "play legos with your base" aspect where you're making a fun prehistoric camp, then an actual wooden house surrounded with agriculture, then a proper house made of multiple materials with a sort of miniature village around you, and in the "make a new thing" aspect, where each age makes making poo poo from the previous age easier; it's a pain the first time you make a wheel, and then you go up to the next age and it becomes super easy, so you get that feeling of accomplishment. And Blightfall is super popular for nailing the first and last one; the whole map is built around exploring and finding new places, and you have a semi-consistent upgrading system with the focus around Thaumcraft and Tinker's with minor plays in Blood Magic.

It's also why I think there's such a demand around here for a new Blightfall. Modern modpacks just...don't do this. Sevtech falls apart as it goes on, DDSS was a real fucker of a bait and switch, and everything else is focused on skyblocks, which are basically giving up entirely on the "cool adventures" and "lego base" aspects entirely.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 19, 2019

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Embers is pure aesthetic. A lot of really cool looking designs, and an absolute pain in the rear end to try and rig together or combine with anything.

...But I really do love it's look. The dwarven magi-teck thing is something that's always been weirdly missing from Minecraft, a game where you think it'd be a natural fit.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
IE suffers from being used almost purely as a gatekeeping mechanic in modpacks. It has a cool aesthetic, but mechanically speaking, it is almost entirely used to stop your progress and make you grind out a bunch of poo poo just to make steel or something similar.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
"Direction" is another reason why I think early SevTech worked out well. You start banging rocks to make sharper rocks, and...most of the direction makes sense. Build up to better rocks, learn how to agriculture, invent the wheel and eventually enter the age of copper, learn how to make bronze, then make some weird slight detours for magic but eventually get basic machines through windmills and watermills (much as I dislike some of the actual mechanics to it, the better with mods stuff was a great idea for that age), progress into full industrialization, and then...well, then things kinda come apart. But the "ages" system gave it direction.

Likewise, Blightfall was great at giving you direction that made sense for what was happening in-game.

I think a lot of modpacks lack that direction because they're not trying to build any sort of narrative experience. It's just practices in automation, with a new gimmick, or new mods to automate.

...lovely modpacks are the STEMlords of Minecraft :colbert:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I will say - and hopefully my memory isn't betraying me - that if you do want "sandbox + quests + make a cool lego base," that I recall Energetics 2 being real good at it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Pollyanna posted:

You mean Applied Energistics 2? The storage mod?

No, my brain did several backflips and somehow mangled the holy hell out of "Enigmatica 2"

EDIT:

Maguoob posted:

Speaking of skyblocks with a ton of mods, SevTech is getting a skyblock mode. Well sky islands and not just an entirely empty void.

Vib Rib posted:

With the heavy emphasis on exploration and ore deposits, I wonder how that's gonna work?

My question exactly. Maybe it's going to try to force you to move between the sky islands? Could end up being potentially weirdly good, could be another goddamn skyblock.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 4, 2019

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Maguoob posted:

Yes you will have to move between the various islands, so if you play it I hope you like building dirt bridges. There is a glider thing you can make, but it doesn’t go up. Though that may change as it is still being worked on and obviously no eta for release.

I’d imagine the astral sorcery perk for flight is going to be rather popular for anyone that actually plays and knows how astral sorcery works, but iirc AS was an age 3 thing.

If they move around some of the progression this could work real well. In normal SevTech you have a quest to make an airship, but it comes when you both don't need to explore and you already have close enough to flight from AS. Make that a WAY earlier tech and this could be a major improvement.

Arkitektbmw posted:

Anyways, annoyances aside, been playing Titan mode and it's forced me to finally play Astral Sorcery and Blood Magic. Gotta say, Astral is amazing!

My only gripe with AS remains "how do I make a cool build of this without doing floating islands, uh again?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Depends posted:

I think it's either Sevtech or E2:E I'm thinking of that crafting a thing the first time was a hurdle but once you did make it an alternate way to make that thing was opened up.
In Volcano Block I felt like once I went through the trouble of making a thing I barely/never really needed to make it again which ended up making me feel like I was checking off boxes on a list rather than accomplishing something useful. That's how the packs that have me go to a planet to get an ore that allows me to get to another planet etc etc make me feel as well.

That's SevTech. Each age adds new recipes to make previous difficult to make items easier. Like going from making leather one hide at a time to just dumping several in a water basin at once.