Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

How does it know where the destination is the first time? If you're building two portals, you won't be near one of them when you first activate them. It will HAVE TO chunkload both of them at some point, even if it's only once. In that case, upon first constructing a portal it would start chunkloading and would keep doing so until the destination portal is built, at which point they could link up. You'd have to put a timer on it to prevent people from just building a single portal to chunkload, which could be exploited if it's too long and annoying if it's too short.

Oh, also, if the destination isn't loaded, you risk falling through the world.

Generally this issue is solved by not giving a poo poo about people using portals to chunkload.

Easy when you place the master block it stores its coordinate in world.nbt data, then when you dial that address from another location it knows by looking in the World.NBT data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

So, every portal is a different dialing destination, not linked up in pairs? You still have the problem of teleporting into an unloaded chunk and having it fail to load.

when you dial it loads the destination chunk before showing the portal is active.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ambaire posted:

They don't afaik. I'm guessing the guy used a creative builder wand to surround it with obsidian tnt. Or a wand foci of equal trade and replaced the reactor walls...

If you have the turbines over speed for too long they explode.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Patware posted:

So I'm super casual and just got bit by a Minecraft bug recently and pretty much rely on Technic exclusively to play cool Minecraft mods but pretty much everything I care to try except Tekkit is refusing to actually run. I'm mostly looking for a more fantasy/magic leaning pack but Hexxit and Hexxit Revisited are just opening Minecraft, hanging, and closing back down to the launcher.

You could try AT Launcher and the CrackPack, its pretty nice with Thaum Ars and Blood/Witchery as well as the usual tech mods.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

How do you automate the crafting process for something that literally has no crafting recipe by default?

You put an item transfer node (extra utils) on the side of the puddle, and it will remove the completed crystals when complete.
and you can do a dispenser to put the items in the puddle.

Inscriber you put in top left bottom and pull out of right.
Power in back and you are set - Or use Steves Factory Manager.

you can find Charged certus in world, once you get it then you only need 1 charged quartz to make 2 fluix meaning you can then make the charger to make more charged quartz. its a major first step to understand.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

It can end up as a big box, just they are going to be different components. A starting configuration to use up all 8 channels from a surface of an ME controller is

code:
[I] [A] [I]   [A] [I] [A]
[A] [c] [A]   [I] [c] [I]
[I] [A] [I]   [A] [I] [A]
Where
I = interface
A = molecular assembler
c = cable

This will provide you with 9 * 8 = 72 slots for patterns and a pretty good chance that there's no conflict between assemblers.
Once you move into Dense Cable and have access to 32 channels, you can expand the pattern longer (4 times for 288 slots!) and be basically set for crafting recipes in the mid game.

Dense Cable is the way to go, and you make controllers as a hollow cube (bit like the unfilled Tessaract frame)

and then you can P2P out to remote areas using the standard glass cable

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah but you still end up with just lots of interfaces for just a few patterns each. I liked in the old version how you could dedicate a page to having every recipe from a mod, or like all the different color variant lights from project red, for example.

Obviously AE2 is more geared towards lots of small networks/subnetworks instead of one big one. I certainly wouldn't complain if Extra Cells or something added in a "pattern storage" super-interface or something.

if you make 6 interfaces against 1 atomic and then make it a block so you have IAIAIA then next row down up left and right AIAIAI every interface has 6 assemblers and every assembler has 6 interfaces.
you put acceleration cards in all assemblers and it really goes fast.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Maiden posted:

Please speak English

feed with dense cable round the outside

Layer 1 IAIAI
AIAIA
IAIAI

Layer 2
AIAIA
IAIAI
AIAIA

etc.

All Assemblers have full accelerators
Use a Pattern Terminal

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Reason posted:

No modding is really dumb.

True, without mods i will not be playing....

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Thyrork posted:

TFC talk: You absolutely should get a pal to play it with. Its a whole other experience with someone to share the load, and not in a "Anything can be fun in multiplayer, stupid." way either. Alot of TFC's mechanics are rewarding with cooperation, from farming to animal husbandry. The peak example of this being the smelting process for the more complex alloys.

So is anyone else unreasonabley hyped for "Blightfall 2.0"? I say unreasonably because I know its still going to be the same lovely minecraft combat, but man i cant wait to fight the world for my right to live on a world that very much wants me dead and turn it into a industrialized hellscape paradise for the colonists. :getin:

I have been thinking about redoing blightfall and going thaum from the start, no tech no hqm
why fight the taint, use it..

also use water buckets to clear taint tendrils

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 6, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Tony Homo posted:

I hope I don't get flamed for this but here goes. I read the OP and still have questions. I have a son who is 9 and is addicted to this game. I bought the game for him and thought that would be enough. Wrong. He is now asking me to get him mods for the game and I'm hesitant to just do a random search since it seems a lot of places really piss off my antivirus program. The few I did download have error messages (even some from the OP) so figured I'd go to the end of the thread and ask my goon mates what place can I reliably download mods and what mod is currently thee best mod (I know there must be some kind of consensus) and where can I get it? I know nothing about the game really but my son would be tickled pink if I could tell him I installed a mod. Thanks for any help.

There are currently 3 main modding systems available with access to online servers as well. (although you dont need to go online to play modded)

Technic Launcher (already mentioned)
FTB Launcher
AT Launcher

Google any of those to get them, They all have packs available for download as and when you want to try something, Technic launcher has a lot of packs available by search,

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I have never heard of them cracking down on it. It's definitely against the TOS but despite servers like them being reported I've never heard of one being taken down.

Actually selling items normally available in the game is against the tos, but lots of servers are selling stuff like claim blocks or ranks that allow extra chat or other online server options that are not part of the Minecraft system persé

as long as you cannot get the item normally in Vanilla minecraft then its not going to violate the Mojang TOS as you are selling something they don't make....

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Black Pants posted:

So we just discovered today that Redstone Arsenal has a slight bug. This bug being that Fluid Transposers cannot accept diamonds in order to turn them into Flux Crystals.

Flux Crystals that are ingredients for MAKING THE THINGS THE MOD ADDS. :argh:

Works fine on Crackpack

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

The guy behind Fluxed Crystals does not appear to be very good at coding.

You just described 99% of mod writers

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

shas posted:

I hadn't played Minecraft in a long time and my friends who are are playing an FTB pack and man, some of the mods seem to have got even more grindy as gently caress

IC2 and AE2 in particular seem to have just added a whole bunch of poo poo to be a pain. TE and Tinker's Construct seem about the same though, which is nice.

edit: also modular powersuits seems to be dead? :smith:

if you want OP armor check out FLORA

Also for flight - Angel Wings
Weapons - Imbued Swords

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Well, in the version I played, you started out in a spaceship and got to choose from five drop pods, each led to starting areas of varying difficulty. The progression is basically:
1) grow some trees, make tcon tools, use some reputation to get some quick food, then crops you can farm to deal with hunger
2) mine under the base for some starting metals
3) do some quests that send you out to scout nearby locations, making the mad dash across the taint. each location has a teleporter that you can use to return to base (and go back and forth)
4) discover new metals at other locations, use reputation gained from doing quests to gain stuff you're missing
5) scavenge ethereal blooms from other teleport locations, use them to clean the area near your base so you can expand
6) research research
7) more scouting, more quests, more research, better cleaning tools
8) become a magic god, clean the world

It's not really grindy, but tech ore can be hard to come by. Oh, you need to have a tolerance for Thaumcraft research of course, as Thaumcraft progression is required to get anywhere. I guess you can skip most of it and only use the parts dealing with taint removal? Also the gear you want. There's some Blood Magic later in the pack, which can be considered grindy I guess. It can be difficult at the start since the scouting quests make you run through tainted land filled with nasty things that want to kill you. Some experience in dealing with packs of dangerous mobs is required- either running from them or killing them without armor. Obviously once you've geared up and researched enough thaumcraft to get good cleaning tools you've got a good handle on things.

It definitely has a good atmosphere. There are a bunch of custom-made structures, and there are NPCs to talk to in the ship now.

Apparently a while back someone let slip the easy way to do the mad dash - Taintrells are removed by water....

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Guess Who trumps all

Top Trumps? (showing my age now)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I discovered that after 3 days pottering in alpha the taint started to come in...

Also i was lucky and had 2 pigs spawn outside the dome and i let them in and now have a pork farm with some carrots i found..

Hint - Directly south from alpha is marble shrine - it has 4 ethereal blooms you can "borrow" to help keep the taint at bay.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
So i am dissapointed that we don't have the liber paginarium fulvarum (The book of the yellow pages) in the game.

The things you could do with the NecroTelecomnicon.

(I wonder how many get the reference)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magres posted:

If you've any plans to do another iteration on Blightfall, or if you do another modpack, I'm sure you'd be able to find people to do alpha/beta testing and help in various ways.

E: Oh for getting all the thaumcraft aspects, the other one that's a pain to get is Humanus, which is Bestia (Motus + Victus) and Cognitio (Spiritus + Ignis) mashed together. Every time I do Thaumcraft, I almost always build Victus and Humanus

I actually use a forum post i found for that.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/thaumcraft-4-a-quick-way-to-discover-all-aspects-updated-for-4-2.33605/

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

How does Thaumcraft work with multiplayer? Do we have to research/discover things seperately?

You can make a tome of knowledge transfer each and share your research.

one other hint i just found out the hard way....

Alpha dome is not safe.....

There is a hole right at the top of the dome and spiders can get in....

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
OK , I found gold under alpha dome in the caves, I went down to the glass turned right took the coal and then went back to the center 2 blocks then right 2 blocks then right 2 blocks going down all the time and you hit caves with gold in it.

the ethereal blooms at the marble temple are good,

You can take down the leaves and the outlying logs as the node is in the main trunk and will remain as long as you don't break that one (i got 4 saplings from mine) - you can see how the block holding the node has strange burn mark on the side

also just to the north/north west is a pure daisy from botania and it also keeps the taint back so that may be a better localised protection of taint.

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 15, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Right, but how do I host the server? I have no idea what I'm doing here.

start single player, then press Esc, then open to lan

BTW this will also allow you to use /gamemode and other admin commands (even if no one else connects)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Gotta be fun dealing with warp effects in Blightfall, though. Can't just turn off Warp either, 'cos then you miss out on all the Eldritch stuff (which I still have never seen).

Question, where's glowstone in blightfall? I was working on a basic AE system because I'm tired as hell of chest sprawl (and I want to start thaumic energistics ASAP), and forgot you need glowstone for the panel for an ME terminal.

you could try to get a single mfr laser drill that will provide Every ore including glowstone.

I also found end stone under Alpha dome, but where can you get Ghast Tears and Blaze rods?

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 17, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

okay here are some pictures of my blightfall stuff

this is my main base from the air, i started in alpha dome

as you can see it is basically Yet Another Organic Growth base with stuff thrown all around
just left of center is my food area, where i spend way too much time trying to find OPTIMAL FOODS to stuff into my lunch box
to the right is my chicken imprisonment device which has been netting me feathers and eggs for basically the entire map
god i need to do the AE stuff but power is hard in blightfall :saddowns:

here's my little farm, though i should probably tear down the saguaro because the fruit is culinarily useless

here's another shot of the outside
a thing i found out after it was too late was that tainted animals can and will attack through fences to take your animals to the MURDERZONE
so i threw up some secondary fencing to keep them safe

this is dome beta, where i ended up setting up my thaumcraft related stuff

here is my infusion altar, as you can see i have a little bit of a flux problem
i should probably make some scrubbers but :effort:
this is an insufficient number of candles

oh hey chauncey what's up, still manning the alembics as usual i see
we need to have a talk, i put down some nice new void jars but you seem to want to fill empties up with essentia instead of the void jars
if you can just go ahead and use the void jars from now on that would be great
otherwise i have to toss the extra jars into the SHAME DEVICE behind you, yeah, the one with the green laser

Well you know that the "room" that your infusion altar is in has to be completely symmetrical that includes jars and walls. - same with the aspect altar

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ariong posted:

Apparently I'm really really good at making rope.

did you try shift right clicking with empty hand to remove the lead?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magres posted:

Alternately attach a lead to every warp point :v:

actually, what happens if you use the transporter when leashed?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
My question is , i have golems harvesting the crops and another one gathering, but how can i make the harvesting golem replant as well?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magres posted:

Orichalcum, Manyullyn, and Pokefennium all do

I'd go for Orichalcum, personally, but that's partly because I've already found and bookmarked some

E: Just got my first Totem of the Dawn and daaaammmnnnnnn they clean a big area, by my estimate it's a 48x48 area (3 chunks x 3 chunks, centered on the totem chunk, I think) where Ethereal Blooms clean something like a 7 block radius. If you can make a couple dozen of these you can clean the world out in no time. I'm gonna work towards totem spam with one Dawn Machine for cleaning up tainted nodes. By my reckoning, with a Euclidaisy covering Auram, you can make all the essentia needed into renewable resources. Hardest part is gonna be the fact that each totem takes 7 ordo shards and an ignis shard

Thank you, i couldnt remember the name <madly scribbles down> Totem of the Dawn, Now to work out how to :( ok won't be building one soon but i will get there.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i genuinely don't want to sound like i'm nitpicking a lot, believe me. i personally lowered it in my solo game since it's a lot to keep track of on top of everything else, but on a group server i'd be fine with whatever. mostly i just wanna be able to sell the adventure pack to other people better, and it's hard to do that when people immediately start asking why they need to get into cooking like 50 different things when they're already dealing with taint and whatever else.

I like the idea, it takes your mind off the taint as you concentrate on getting food, so taint becomes second nature

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Seatox posted:

Placed cheesecakes don't appear to suffer diminishing hunger returns when you eat slices from them, at least in singleplayer. They just seem to give you hunger+saitety. Eating them from your hand does, though.

does that also work with vanilla cakes?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

President Ark posted:

Press M. It's on the east edge of the map.

There is also the flying lab on the north west corner of the map

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Autocrafting will wind up being a multiblock structure. I never really optimized that with AE2; I only started getting into the crazies with it at the beginning of the year and my cohort lost interest. So I know the gist of crafting CPUs and the like but I'd have to look at it again before I told anybody how to do it with AE2.

BTW where is that secret in the swamp? Given how easy it was to find the secret behind the lake waterfall, I figured the swamp would be nothing. I've been running around all over near swamp delta and getting nothing.

before you had to make a huge multiblock structure to hold the patterns and copros, now its different
crafting setup needs at least 1 storage module and possibly a copro - and it needs to be square in shape so a 2 x 2 x 1 will do - 1 storage 3 copros
these are the actual crafting computers so you may only need one to start.

then you have an assembler surrounded by interfaces (and vice versa) I usually try to do a flat setup as follows

AIAIAIA
IAIAIAI
AIAIAIA

Then you use the interface terminal and pattern terminal to make the patterns and then put them in the interfaces.
You can accelerate the Assemblers.

For smelting etc you put an interface on the top usually with patterns in (via the pattern terminal/interface terminal) and that will allow you to pulverise/smelt stuff needed

Thats it for the crafting setup
(you can just start with assembler and interface on it (remember the small interface does not pass power so you may need to power from a cable seperate if you don't use the block interfaces)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magres posted:

Mkay. Depends on what you think is easier/cooler, I suppose. My idea takes ~20 mana spreaders and 10 of them need to have bore lenses (it's basically "fire bore burst down the row, pass it over a row with a non-bore spreader into another bore spreader, repeat") and can do ~110 plants (this is all assuming my math and my knowledge of mana spreaders are both correct, which is definitely not guaranteed). I'm hoping to power it with a bunch of hydroangeas so I don't have to mess with it and could basically just black box it with an item pipe coming out and leading into a barrel of reeds.

or just use ME disintegration panes to remove the first block up

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
So you need to clear an area then carefully extend your area but the area inside shouldnt re-taint unless there is a tainted node in it.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

Or you could dig down and wall it off.

don't the blooms effect extend from 0 to 512 Y level ?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Or the Fan, which is a super way to push mobs around with all sorts of utilities.

I usually make a mob farm using fans, spikes, and spawners (usually soul shards) and vacuum hoppers

https://youtu.be/Vr5zwZr6Nko

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
of course some of the other extremes you can try to get to:

Angel Rings,

Flux Armor

flux imbued Tools

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Steelion posted:

So basically I have to kill all the tainted critters, track down the slimes that are clogging the caves (which I need to find first) and then keep all the passive mobs e: and bats :suicide:)that spawn in the cleared ground (using a different cap) from wandering off and turning into more tainted critters.

Welp.

e: rotten flesh and bones aren't the things I want more of, really I just want endermen (and blazes, but christ I'm not looking forward to trying to clear off the volcano.)

I had some tainted slimes outside alpha yesterday - and they got in - WTF! they glitched through the dome and tainted my cow farm :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Whats the current best "Everything and the Kitchen Sink" pack?

If you want balanced progression - TPPI is your pack,

AT Launcher has some fun packs.

Hermitcraft ModSauce 2 is pretty good and has most stuff including Galacticraft and Archimedes ships.