Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

President Ark posted:

What about if you die?

That's 10 reputation!

(I have died over 20 times, the questbook guy isn't happy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

President Ark posted:

Take a crafting bench. Put it by itself in your crafting grid to make a crafting station. Put the crafting station next to a chest. :eng101:

Holy poo poo.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I'm actually not sure what to do next in my Blightfall world. I haven't exactly advanced far, mind--I've got a reasonably stable Infusion altar and a basic thaumic energistics system (no essentia interface or provider yet), but I've run out of goals that aren't going to involve a hell of a lot of grinding. :(

I'm building a redwood sized silverwood tree to act as my base. It has twice the ground blueprint of a regular redwood and it's going to take me ages. But it'll be super cool when it's done. You should just set yourself a goal for some megaproject and get started.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Be advised the totems of dawn break on chunk reload & have to be broken/replaced currently. We'll be putting out a fix to this soon. Dawn Machines do not have this issue.

drat that stinks, guess I'll be waiting a bit on Dawn totems. Do you have a fix planned for the materials books resetting randomly?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magres posted:

If people don't mind horribly, I'm gonna write up my immediate thoughts on how to automate all the essentia production you need to fuel Olmec to his fullest extent:

Aer - Sugar Cane farm, you can use mana spreaders with bore lenses to break all the sugar cane. I'm hoping to find a way to fit enough Hydroangeas in to make it self-powering.
Herba - Sugar Cane farm, the reeds break down into aer, herba, and aqua
Auram - Euclidaisies, tough to automate this unless anyone knows of a way to make an arcane furnace setup that discards everything but Auram that I can feed my wispy essences into. (nm can be done with void jars and golems, it's just a pain)
Cognitio - Sugar Cane farm, autocraft paper, burn paper for Cog
Arbor - Tree farm, arbor is really easy to get en masse
Ignis - Tree farm -> Charcoal
Mechanus - Levers, use some Igneous Extruders to feed cobble into a cyclic assembler, feed it sticks, have it spit out sticks
Ordo - Tree farm -> Charcoal -> Centrifuge -> Ordo
Sano - MFR Rancher, milk, alchemical boiler
Vacuos - Tree farm -> Chests? Otherwise it's Igneous Extruder -> Cobble -> Pulverizer -> Sand -> Furnace -> Glass -> Cyclic Assembly -> Glass Bottle to burn

I don't know that I'm going to obsessively automate everything, but I'd like to automate sugar cane (it's fun with botania), a tree farm, and milk production. If I get Blood Magic up and running with a Well of Suffering, I think I can plop the fire crystal things into my alchemical boilers and furnaces to keep them juiced up permanently, then have golems empty the alembics.

Hrm, if you wanted to really go nuts on things you could automate cobblestone breakdown into terra and perditio, discard the perditio, and use the terra, along with aqua from the sugar cane farm, to duplicate clay indefinitely, making phials a renewable resource, and making most of the systems here into closed loops that just generate material and essentia. Good stuff!

You can double up on your sugarcane farm with a greedy chest. You can set it to take 50% of the sugar cane deposited into an adjacent chest and then assign that to your paper mill. I need to work on my setups but I won't have time until the weekend to start setting up a bunch of cool poo poo :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Stuff like this is making me wonder what the end game is. I'm assuming it involves leapfrogging and taking advantage of chunks unloading.

The dawn machine is hella effective though and will completely clear out its area of effect in very short order if fed with the proper essentia. But yeah it's pretty much a leapfrogging thing where you clear vast swathes of land, probably leaving dawn totems on landmarks like the villages.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I kinda wish that Thaumic Horizons was in the pack. It adds a ton of thematically cool poo poo like magically infused mobs, lenses for the goggles of revealing and a bunch of other great stuff. I heard it can be rather unstable though, so maybe that's why its not in the pack. But it's really the pen-ultimate mad wizard mod.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I like TC and Blightfall but I am 100% not looking forward to dealing with the loving hunger and sun sensitivity effects.

I dunno I kinda liked the hunger bit after I figured out you can remove that effect by eating rotten flesh and zombie brains!

Edit:

President Ark posted:

Don't you have to get some warp in order to unlock one of the pages of the thaumonomicon or something like that?

Yes, and when I'll be getting straight into that poo poo as soon as I'm happy with my magical supplies. Never even been to the void dimension

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 19, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

We specifically tested upgrades and they worked.

But it's HQM so who the hell knows!! (yes, please upgrade, we worked really hard on this)

Did you look at Thaumic Horizons when adding stuff to the pack? Any particular reason it's not included? :)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magres posted:

I finally have stable and self-sustaining power! Here's my setup:

Big overview shot including my base. Basic setup is a thaumcraft golem powered tree farm feeding into an Infernal Furnace feeding into Endoflames, and a spreader firing into a Redstone Fluxfield.

Closer shot of the tree farm and infrenal furnace. There are barrels for wood, apples, and saplings, with a (wholly unnecessary) dense pipe giving the barrels priority over the infernal furnace. The infernal furnace doubles as charcoal production and disposal of excess saplings and apples. The furnace spits out to the left into a Hungry Chest you can just barely see, and the Hungry Chest has a servo on the underside that pumps charcoal out of the chest, underground, over to...

Here! The dense pipe here on the barrel actually matters, as I want feeding the Endoflames to take priority over amassing charcoal at this point. I'm using the simple setup someone posted earlier in the thread to make the open crate self-limiting so it doesn't waste all of my charcoal. Here I need to add some space upgrades and a void upgrade to the barrel, but that's low on my priorities list at the moment.

Finally, REDSTONE FLUX! The Endoflames feed the mana distributor, which feeds four mana pools so I can have a huge mana battery available. There's one final mana spreader that fires at the Redstone Fluxfield. I've currently got a Resonant cell hooked up to it, charging :toot:

The efficiency is atrocious compared to dynamos (it produces half as much RF per charcoal as a steam dynamo) but it's self-sustaining power in Blightfall :getin:

E: A small edit I made, I moved the mana spreader so it only pulls from one pool instead of two.

E2: More updates, added a second, better gathering golem (advanced tallow instead of plain clay, the new tallow guy has two aquas and a terra in him, as well as spectacles, so he's got really good vision range), and a Brain In A Jar right by the Infernal Furnace to capture all the XP from smelting. A few thousand smelts is a loooot of XP

gently caress this is so cool. I'm building this when I get home. What's a good way to move the RF over long distances?

Edit: Can you tell me how your tree farm is set up? Does a wood cutter golem replant?

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 21, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really need some loving diamonds. Also more certus crystals, what are the best places for them? Should I just check out more of the drat caches? The pickaxe of the core is amazing but it's only showing me tech ores, not diamonds. I'm trying to get my storage network up but it's my first time with it so I'm just plodding along slowly. What's the pre-requisite tech for vis storage cells? I thought it would be a regular storage cell but I didn't get it from the 4k cell.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I find myself without a good source of green slime? I haven't gotten any cactus and I can't find any jellyfish :(

That's a cool cow field though. I'm converting my setup to void jars right now because I need a ton of various aspects but I don't want the junky shite, thankfully I have a ton of vulcanite for blaze powder. Once I get production going though, I can get my tree farm going and start converting mana to ae so I can support a storage network. Then I can finally downsize all this crate sprawl!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ducttape posted:

Thaumcraft/essentia tubing question:

I'm trying to start making etherial blooms, and I can't seem to make it work. The Bloom recipe takes four kinds of essentia. I put down four warded jars, put enough essentia in them, hook them all up to tubes, and tell the alcemical construct to do its thing. Nothing happens, except colored smoke comes out of the tubes. After waiting a bit, I look this up on the wiki, and it says that is what happens when a tube tries to grab more than one type of essentia at a time, and that it is gummed up. So I am thinking that I need to have each flavor of essentia piped through separate unconnected pipes. However, with the shape of the automated alchemy thing, I don't see how I can have more than three unconnected tubes entering it. I'm sure there is something that I'm not getting, but I can't figure out what it is.

You can have six connections to the alchemical construct. You can break connections between pipe blocks by hitting them with your wand. You can expand this as well with the use of buffers. If you put a buffer on a connection point you can attach another four pipes to that buffer and it will pull from those seperately and inject it into the construct. I like to do this for some automation jobs.

Buffers are in fact fantastic for a lot of things, learn to use them as well as restricted pipes. The only problem with pipes is that it tends to be it's ugly as hell.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Where is the light blue flower? I found the white ones in the city but I'd like to just grab the light blue and get out of dodge because I'm really sick of these snipers.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magres posted:

I just made a Jaded Amaranthus and skipped finding the light blue flowers, personally. If you're at the point where taking on the city for the white flowers is feasible, you can make an Amaranthus and just mass produce your own flowers (in my base screenshots, where there's a patch of really colorful stuff, that's my Amaranthus surrounded by magic flowers). Make a horn of the wild and gathering them all is trivial)

I have to look through the botania book and see what I can make then. I've never really played with it before, the main thing I want is enough RF to power a storage network.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magres posted:

Make whatever generating flower you can manage (you can scavenge dayblooms, which passively generate power from sunlight, somewhere or other), use one of the pure daisies you've scavenged to make livingrock and livingwood and a mana pool and mana spreader with that, then a Jaded Amaranthus will use small amounts of mana from the pool to make lots of every kind of flower. From there you can do everything!

Yeah I got one, thankfullky one of the first things I did when I started the pack was dump the dayblooms from the waterfall cave near a spreader and a mana pool so I had half a pool handy for when I decided to start it :) Now it's on to getting a tree farm going and generating mana through charcoal.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Before I ended my short game of Blightfall last night, I did a middle-level black market quest. The loot included a laser drill and two prechargers. I am swimming in emeralds, and I have some dandelions for yellow dye, so I was thinking of trying to drill for yellorium and keep the reactor going. With the starter reactor, do you think I can keep this up?

Actually, I have some more magic questions:
Where is the tainted rod research?
Where is the mana steel cap research?

They are both under the apocrypha tab. I forget what unlocks them but presumably scanning taint and botania related things. A tainted tendril is an ingredient so try for that. You'll also need a shovel of the purifier which needs at least thaumium, this is a great item for clearing taint but also to get more taint aspect really easily.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The reactor is okay to get started but I recommend generating rf with botania. You can convert mana to rf at a decent rate.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magres posted:

Join the cheaters, use server commands to set your warp to zero. Permanent warp is a bad mechanic anyway. All warp should be sticky, at worst (sticky is stuff you clean off with sanitizing soap and arcane spas, temp falls off on its own). I'd be really interested in a thaumcraft addon that changes all permanent warp to sticky warp

I'd be okay with that if you then also got sticky warp from producing any warp related items, such as lodestones, advanced golems etc.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If you make the vis storage amulet that holds 250 vis, it also has the passive benefit of drawing directly from your energized nodes if they or a relay are in range.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm trying to automate my production of bath salts in Blightfall and I've hit a snag. My plan is to use alchemical furnaces to burn down milk for sano, paper for cognito , coal for potentia which can be centrifuged into ordo and ethereal essence (from the botania flower) to auram. There's a bunch of useful byproducts that can be centrifuged down too but my problem is I don't seem to have a magical solution for milking cows. My plan was to use the alchemical boiler for that but golems specifically cannot interact with mobs.

Is there a flower that can do it or will I be forced to use the rancher? I was hoping to skip tech entirely for this one.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

There's not a flower, but the drum of the gathering, when hit with a mana burst, will fill any empty buckets that are directly on top of a cow (a 1x1 pen made from fences with empty crates above them works for the positional requirement.) From there, you can use golem workbenches (automagy) or crafty crates (botania) to craft bottles of milk, a vanilla cobblegen + bore lens mana spreader to make cobble, alchemy catalyst to convert cobble into sand for glass.

Sounds good. My plan was to skip buckets entirely and use the boiler for the fluids. My solution ended up being a rancher that outputs directly to a hardened portable tank with a decanting golem moving the milk. I'm setting up my tree farm now for coal so eventually I will have a network of sorting golems that distribute the coal into all the furnaces and boilers. I will probably end up using a bunch of magical mirrors for central storage and moving parts.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I can't infuse golem core: chop. I put on the requisitioned iron axes but it's a no go. Is this a bug or can I fix it?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magres posted:

If you've got RF generation going (or a good energy cell), the MFR Rancher block makes it really easy. You don't even need RF generation, if you have a redstone or resonant energy cell then the energy costs are trivial. Also the Rancher can directly pump into the boiler, though I'd feed it into a resonant tank that pumps into the boiler to give you a nice big buffer (512 buckets) on the milk.

The Rancher is, literally, point at a cow, give it power and plug a pipe into it. The hardest part is figuring out which way the drat thing is facing, if you're not familiar with MFR.

Yeah the rancher is really nice and easy to use, so I'll just leave it as is :)

Going back to your tree-farm you posted many pages ago, what do you use to pull the items out of the chest and into the barrels/furnace?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magres posted:

Thermal Dynamics Servos. I put item frames on the chest to restrict the hopperhock to only grabbing saplings, apples, and logs, then use a servo to pull items from the chest. There's also a redundant dense pipe between the furnace and the rest of the piping because TD pipes send items to the nearest valid inventory. Dense pipes count as like a thousand pipelengths, but aren't needed there because the furnace is the longest path anyway.

Output from the furnace is into a hungry chest, and output from there is another servo that's hidden underneath the chest, because I like hiding my pipework as much as I can.

I'm on vacation atm but get home tonight, I can take pictures of stuff if you or anyone else has any questions! I'm planning to continue to document my automation stuff as I work on automating everything I can - one of my goals is to automate production of as many kinds of essentia as I can, including phial production.

Yeah I figured it out and got it to send properly. I'm gonna have to move my treefarm to the other island because real estate is at a premium, will have to use a magic mirror to transport the coal.

What quest unlocks ghast tears and ender pearl requisitions?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

:whatup:

Finally got a setup working! No magic mirrors yet so I'm carting the coal myself (the tree farm is on the next island) but it's already up and running and starting to feed me mana. I can now start really getting into Botania. Thanks to Magress for the setup I copied. On the left can be seen the beginnings of my sano setup, wherein I cruelly enslave a cow and force it to output hundreds of cows worth of milk.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is there a resource on how much you gain from giving a mana spreader a potency lens? Mine is firing like 5 blocks which I assume isn't far enough to see a loss even with the lens, but it's nice to be sure.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Taffer posted:

Still amazed that there hasn't been a new mod that just rips off and improves the tanks and boilers yet. Maybe I'll have to take another shot at that. :effort:

I could really do with some pretty, high capacity 3x3x3 tanks. All the current options are hella ugly but The Big Reactor has a cool design that could be copied and I would like to see insulation options for super hot/cold fluids. Make a 5x5x5 tank and only the inner 3x are for actual storage, if you want to store molten metal or lava in it you're shrinking that inside storage to 1x with insulation blocks. The kicker would be that the inside slot can store a LOT of fluids, you could handwave it with with compression or whatever. I just really want to set up a bunch of 3x3x3 tanks for various common fluids (milk, fuel, oil, etc.) that lets me store more than 10 buckets.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's honestly kind of impressive how quickly we got to the late game. I was farting about getting a CV node up and went to bed (stupidly with the node in my inventory) and the next morning there's already an alchemy station, a CV node and a full fledged AE storage network set up :v:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That would have been a cool way to gate Blightfall too. Make areas too tainted to enter and let the player counter it with tech or magic (magical wards or space suits) and for the endgame stuff you need a combination of things. This would alleviate the problem of Goonrushing all the secret stuff on the Goonfall server for example, where in the first iteration we basically teched to the endgame in two days.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

VerdantSquire posted:

So I'm guessing the main method of progress is wearing sunglasses and preforming sweet tricks on a skateboard?

Pop your collar.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

An electrical power systems mod where you have to worry about voltage and amps for certain parts of your network would be pretty cool. Oh this control bus runs on 24V direct current, gotta put in a transformer or it'll blow up. High-voltage power lines for long transmissions etc. I'm an electrician so it would be the coolest poo poo, contrary to the nuclear engineer guy I don't mind taking work into my games :v:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Well I'm a computer guy and I feel like everyone would LOVE the idea of routers. We can call them... controllers. Oh and they have a bunch of limited ports so let's limit connections to 8 devices. Oh unless you have 10A gig fiber which uses a different cable, so of course wireless is possible but every transmission has to have a port if you will and item types are separated and...

Hey, where are you going? Why does everyone hate my idea and want thing to be more simple? Oh because not everyone wants to get a college-loving-degree to play my mod

KISS

It's okay guy, I know it'd suck for the majority of players. I think however that minecraft can be a tool for educating children in advanced real life concepts that will better prepare them for college. An entire generation of kids play Minecraft, if they can be taught concepts like electrical engineering before they hit puberty think of the advantages to them when they reach adulthood.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I was thinking adventure maps as challenges to overcome. Similar to how The Incredible Machine played when I was a kid. Introduce basic concepts, build a machine and make the player fix faults with an HQM book for reference.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah explosions is anti - fun and I wasn't actually serious when I mentioned it. I'll write something up and outline the idea properly when I get home from work. But I don't think I'd go for an integrated package as a new power mod. Rather i would like to build puzzle maps starting with simple concepts and puzzles that evolve from there.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

With realistic power the easy way to do it is to just trip the circuit breaker. If you're dumb and just use one, then one tripped breaker shuts down your entire factory. Redundancies are already accounted for in real life. Every machine usually has breaker is grouped together with a few others on an RCD to protect the rest of the network. If you gently caress up your automation goes.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 15, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bhodi posted:

You also better have a miracle potato for in-game debugging purposes that tells you what thing is messing up your entire system.

It's called a multi-meter. The interesting thing to design there would be how to accurately simulate how you find a fault on the network with the tool without it magically telling you exactly where.

The biggest annoyance through regular use of a realistic power system would be managing the absolute mess of power lines and breakers in a large setup. As well as managing AMPs across multiple breakers because that would be the challenge there. Two machines pulling 2 amps is fine on a 6 amp breaker but go above it and you need a new power line and a new breaker. Do you have four 6 amps on an 18 amp master breaker? gently caress you, tripped.

This is what a factory breaker box I built last month looks like.

Most people wouldn't find it fun which is why I'm leaning towards challenge/puzzle maps.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Nolanar posted:

I like the idea of loving up giving consequences if it's limited to "overclocking" scenarios. The idea of ramping up the power and efficiency of a certain kind of generator at the cost of needing extra containment / stabilization would be cool. Also, there's the possibility of the adverse consequences being something you can turn to your advantage: maybe overloading your reactor sets off a resonance cascade, shutting it down and spawning a tough mob. Witchery Ents seem like a good model to work from. People in this thread seem to like them.

It's actually quite easy and goes back to how you teach ohms law. If you want to upgrade your machine it pulls more amps. More amps means a bigger power cable. You wouldn't run 60 amps through a regular 1.5q wire that is used in most house installations, for example, it would overheat.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Several "levels" of cables is perfectly fine. But that's what we already have with both RF and AE2, just in AE2 you can't hook things directly up to the larger cables. Machines also accept power from any sides (with a few dumb inconsistent exceptions).

Mousing over a cable and having it read (6 / 12 Amps) and mousing over a bigger cable (6 / 24 Amps) is very easy to grasp, but doesn't bring voltage into play and doesn't tell you anything about ohm's law. Making one "low" voltage and one "high" voltage (to be abstracted as energy loss for low voltage) also doesn't really teach you about ohm's law because it's just a second mechanic which simply means "higher for distance transmission to substations and then lowered to LV to machines.

I guess you could have some sort of voltage slider managed by transformers, but again you're trying to wedge mechanics into a game not really suited for what you're trying to do. Doubly so if you try and introduce a million different gauge wires and when the 'good enough' solution of throwing the biggest wire you can at the problem will solve the challenge.

You're right there's no obvious way to shoehorn in stuff like amps to cable size relations without the player just building the biggest cable he can. I could make the big ones ugly or perhaps try to make them unsuitable for transmitting 230V necessitating a transformer and at least some lower level cables. Maybe even lock cable sizes behind breakers so you can't put a 15q cable into a 6 amp breaker.

Another way would be to make the big transmission line a 2x2 multiblock but I was thinking about making cable "blocks" that you can interact with and place other cables into. So one block might have 5 cables running through it that can branch up or down in the next block. This would also encourage efficient cable sizes since a block would have a maximum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

President Ark posted:

And which is also a horrible plague that eats the world? :unsmigghh:

Taint would be really cool if it also grew useful stuff instead of rendering everything down to nothing.