Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
The only thing I don't like in blightfall is the swarms. They're a stupid mob, hard to kill because of their hit box, uninteresting, and gah, I just hate them. They make things challenging, but in a very annoying manner. There are other mod packs with blighted ground and swarms disabled. Those worlds are still hostile, but not in a cheesy way.

I guess I also don't like the spice of life without pam's harvestcraft, but I guess the major update planned is taking care of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Rocko, wife and I are trying to download BFSR, but no dice. Are you updating the pack?

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Can anyone recommend a pack that really shows off Immersive Engineering? I just went through Tame the World, and it was a bit hard on the difficulty scale and I got frustrated before I could finish the diesel generator. It doesn't necessarily have to be an HQM pack, but it does need to have mods that work together (Tame the World had some jankiness). Has anyone tried Evolving Technology or Space Astronomy on Curse?

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

A second RFTools dimension, always raining, always thundering. Dig down to bedrock and put a Immersive Engineering lightning rod there. Run steel fence all the way up and fill the entire top layer of that chunk in more steel fence. You'll start getting lightning strikes every minute or so for 16m rf/ea, and you can hook more lightning rods to the fence grid in the sky if you need power faster. Drop your favorite chunkloader in that chunk, add a tesseract, and you're good.

I thought that the lightning rod was super nerfed after an update a few months back.
My preferred resource-free power in SF2.5 is a stack of Immersive Engineering thermoelectric generators using water and blazing pyrotheum. I think I have 80 or so generating 2,400 RF/t.

central dogma fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 2, 2016

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

The lightning rod was nerfed to generate its own lightning strikes instead of intercepting normal lightning strikes. Before you could use a weather obelisk or a blood magic ritual to generate lightning on-command for 16mrf per strike per rod, which may have been a little broken. Now they basically just generate a charge every so often and play the lightning strike sound effect.

Ah, so that's how the lightning rod works. Got it. And Scumbag, I'm sure you figured out your lightning rod by now with the tesseracts, but just FYI, my thermoelectric setup is expandable in any direction and is super cheap, so you could make as much passive RF as you want. A buddy of mine is making 16 kRF/t, I think, though his setup is a bit of an eyesore. I've moved on to a steam turbine with a 5x5x1 reactor that only burns 0.05 mB yellorium a tick. At that rate, it may as well be passive lol.

central dogma fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 2, 2016

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

I was just after the dimensional ores to infuse my machines. But changing the setting in the config now gives me normal worlds.

But, how do i get to the deep dark? Thats bedrockium or something?

Portal to the deep dark is a craftable item and you can make it fairly early in your SF2.5 build.

http://ftbwiki.org/Portal_to_The_Deep_Dark

Re: the RFTools void dimensions. By the time you can make the dimension builder, (in SF 2.5 anyway) you practically have unlimited resources and 20 ways to fly. Void is no longer a challenge, but rather an annoyance. I switched the config option.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Wanted to post an album of the Project Ozone 2: Titan base my wife and I have been working on. I'm not sure if I can embed an album here, but here's the link:

http://imgur.com/a/Iu3yM

We went through the first 1/4 of the game through Kappa mode on accident, before I realized Titan mode was the one I was looking for. It was quite something getting only 1 stick from 1 log...

Sadly, we'll probably have to retire this world soon, even though we haven't finished Avaritia. We need to use imaginary time blocks to get the materials we need in any reasonable amount of time, but it drops our FPS down to 10-15ish on our 3 year old laptops.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Has anyone noticed if strongboxes are gone in Thermal Expansion 5? I'm playing FTB Beyond right now and noticed they aren't present. Not sure if they were excluded in the mod or disabled in the modpack.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

But seriously, why the hell is there a GUI overhaul every goddamn month?

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Are there any multiblock mid-range power options from other mods to fill the gab between water mills/thermoelectric and diesel generators in IE? I'm playing a custom 1.12.1 pack and already have the Petroleum and Tech addons, but those are geared for end game unless I'm missing something. I'm just trying to keep the industrial, multiblock aesthetic going in my build.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Xun posted:

Anyone know how modded minecraft works performance wise for LAN servers? I currently have 5GB RAM allocated to minecraft and a 3.5Ghz processor, should I be able to run a LAN server for me and my gf with no problems? Or would I be better off setting up a third computer/player as a "host" to do all the RAM loading poo poo. For reference 5GB RAM seems to be around the minimum for the pack to start quickly (not sure why). Minecraft also seems to use most of the 5GB when running but when has it ever not used all RAM available lol

This is how me and my wife play and we're perfectly fine except for the most demanding modpacks. Think Sprout or Craft of the Titans.

Edit: answer was kinda vague. You do NOT need a third box. We play on 3-4 year old laptops with 8 gb ram each.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

I want to play MSB2, but can anyone tell me what mods I can trim to get the size down a bit? I'm thinking cosmetic things, mostly, like Hats, Better than bunnies, etc.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Toadsmash posted:

All the iChun mods

Those aren't the RAM hogs, though. You're going to have a hard time trimming the RAM requirement down without breaking the progression. Ztones is another pure decorative, but it's pretty memory efficient. Pack is just bloated.

Unless you plan on playing kitchen sink mode, in which case you can gut whatever the hell you want

Ah thanks. I have 16 GB on my desktop and 5 dedicated to minecraft, but I can only barely maintain 60 fps at 10 chunks. Just enough to get tearing and stuttering. Bothers the heck outta me lol. Maybe I should just find a smaller pack.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Do you have mipmaps turned off?

Yeah. I turned graphics to fast and that seems to help. I can live without translucent leaves.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Are there any 1.12.2 mods that allows a player to change the biome of a specific area?

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Is there any mod for 1.12.2 that can scratch my Rotarycraft itch? I'm looking for a tech mod more involved than "supply everything with RF". Closest thing I'm finding are IE, Mek, and Nuclearcraft. I don't think buildcraft is out yet.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

McFrugal posted:

I was about to jokingly suggest spider breeding but that might actually be a good idea. You'd harvest silk and venom from them.

Actually, mob breeding sounds awesome and I don't think it's been done before. You could get drops like a traditional mob grinder, but without the murder. Could be a great alternative for skyblock maps.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Rebirth of the Night has a fun concept, but ultimately gave up on it because it kinda (greatly) pushes me to build a base underground or high in the sky due to mobs' ability to dig. I prefer bases with more form than function. And the base defense mods are expensive, like 7 iron ingots for a single barbed wire block.

I might give MC.eternal a try. I'll disable battle towers for sure, though.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

People play without mipmaps? Big yikes.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Playing Valhelsia 3. Was interested in trying some of the new IE stuff, but does power gen in early game still suck? I'm not a fan of the water wheels. Placing source blocks exactly right and in odd-looking places around the wheel irks me so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

McFrugal posted:

You can just not? The weird spots you can place water only give like 1 more RF/t compared to the standard C flow from one water source per wheel.

It's been a couple years since I tried them. I remembered the efficiency loss being greater than that. I'll try it out and fall back on the thermoelectric if they're still bad.