Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

KingLemming posted:

So just dropping in here looking for some opinions. New CoFH stuff will be released in...oh, something like 12 hours I guess. Anyways, lately I've felt kind of drained by the community. It's nice to add stuff to the mods and all, but there feels like people are just tired of them. Or at least, some vocal complainers seem to be.

So, for those of you who play with the CoFH / Thermal stuff - what do you like / dislike, etc., and what would you like to see added to the mods? Or, what's something that modded MC is missing in general, but wouldn't be appropriate in Thermal?

I like the fact you are a living person and you continue to work on CoFH. Also that you also act like a reasonable living person. I haven't seen the authors of powercrystals or Modular Power suit on here for a long time and I wonder if they are still alive sometimes.

Please do not die, you are a pleasant hardworking human being with a good brain. There are lots of modders and people that simply vanished from the face of the earth and I do miss them.

Of the things I miss about your mod, I guess I miss the fancy glowstone lamps. I don't miss the functionality of the RGB and the redstone controls, just the style and having a simple blastproof glowstone lamp.

What you could have is Reinforced construction materials like IC2s reinforced stone and reinforced stone doors and other replacements for vanilla stuff that function the same, except are 'hardened" so they can be picked up or adjusted with a flick of a wrench but are blastproof. IE: hardened switch, hardened button, hardened trap door, hardened slab, hardened bed. Maybe able to slap a signalium lock on them so you have your own nigh-indestructable locked door or switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

KingLemming posted:

Realistically, I've been doing 95% of everything mod-related for a good long while now, including the naming of things.

As far as the team goes, Tonius handles the website, Covers does render magic + Jenkins. Skyboy has been inactive for a while but recently got motivated and did the CoFH World work this last go round.

So basically...literally every terrible amazing pun is my fault brilliance at work.

You should make a mod called "LemmingTech" that's just a textured block that says "gently caress gregtech" as a gag.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ariong posted:

Okay, it's about time taht I relocated some nodes closer to my base. I know that large nodes can and will eat up smaller nodes, and node stabilizers will prevent this. I'm curious: Is this desirable? If I put a 50 Aer node and a 20 Aqua node next to each other, will the combine into a 50 Aer + 20 Aqua Node? Or is it better to have them separate?

I guess I could also generalize this to a broader question: What's the best way to do node relocation?

Blood magic translocator, but don't use it on transduced nodes, they explode. The other way is to use warded glass and silverwood slabs to make an advanced "node in a jar" without damaging the node.

When a node takes bites out of another node, there's only a chance that it will actually gain points from doing so each bite and instead slighty drain the node. But if it takes a bite while the node is drained the new vis level becomes permenet. There's a whole sperg post on it if you can find it in the old blightfall thread.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
It's transducing them that stops them from acting like tainted nodes, and prevents them from being tainted.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ariong posted:

Yeah it seems like it should work, but no matter how long I jam on a tainted node with a purify-focused, thaumium capped, silverwood wand with 100 vis in every category, it just doesn't work.

I'll give this a try.

Doesn't jarring a node damage it?

It CAN damage a node, you can use the blood magic translocatior to move nodes without jarring them, or you can use the warded glass/silverwood slab advanced jar construction to jar nodes without damaging them. Also you have to "punch" the tainted node with a wand with purification focus for about a second before it will trigger.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
That's part of thaumcraft. They lead to thaumcraft dungeons I think thats full of elderich enemies and goods. I think it might still have a boss at the end of it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

There is not, and I really wish the author of Iron Backpacks would have followed through with the rest of its 1.10 functionality. About as close as you can get is Forestry's backpacks, which are (in my experience) buggy as hell.

Someone mentioned in an earlier version of this thread that forestry backpacks checked your inventory every tick.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Gotta have furnaces require 64 stacks of cobblestone to make cause that's totally hard and stuff and all the cool kids are doing it so we gotta do it too and artificial difficulty and tedium and stuff.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
:aaaaa: I never knew direwolf20 was a old bald guy that looks like he could be 50 years old. That's pretty impressive because I thought he would be some 25-30 year old guy.

code:
GENERAL:
	-We've updated our privacy policy.*
Also lots of cool things! Thanks for enriching our minecraft lives with modded blocks!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

I think the main problem with modpacks nowdays is that they're too loving big. Like yeah I enjoy magic and tech mods and also adventure stuff but I don't need ALL the magic mods and ALL the tech mods and ALL the adventure mods in a single pack.

I Still remember the Plus plus pack and I think it was called the Sigma pack or something? Those were fun packs.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Now I'm thinking I need a plusplus pack mk 3 or whatever we are at now.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

oh my god does ic2 still loving seriously exist :cripes:

Yes.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

MaliciousOnion posted:

Judging by the rest of the mod, I'd say he enjoys virtual masochism.

Machines have to be picked up with a wrench, silk touch doesn't work, and even if you use a wrench there's still a 1/20 chance you will lose it anyways. (but there is a config for this)
Also machines in the rain catch fire and explode.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

...such as only having part of your base loaded at a particular moment, I presume.

This is true if you use a nuclear reactor with some complicated control mechanism that's in another chunk, or if part of the reactor is in another chunk, or if the reactor isn't completely stable, or ....

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Blightfall was wonderful, and so is technic.

They gave me fun and good times.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
in CotT, I've found enemies to be generally annoying and the fact they get increasing more HP and power as time goes on makes it annoying, eventually lava doesn't do it anymore, and to prevent any of that poo poo from spawning in your base you are probably just make the tower of kefka in minecraft or some poo poo. God help you if they spawn inside your base, they will prioritize literally eat the contents of your chests, lighting everything on fire, and break everything else. And you have to maintain your perimeter and make sure you stay behind walls to avoid the snipers, AND figure out what the gently caress you need to craft,

and you can't just AFK because they will eventually break your defenses and their health will increase over time. masses of 100 HP mobs that dig though walls, steal all your equipment, and destroy everything makes it annoying, because if they break in once it might be easier to restart than trying to rebuild what they broke.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Thaumcraft 2 may also have been my last preferred version because you could actually automate research :v:

I have good memories of back then, RIP YogBox, you were a ton of fun. Also the painterly texture pack with it was really good. Also the minions mod, all the different adventuring mods, etc.

Also I laughed when people said I was doing a terrible thing when I found a millinare temple and I uploaded a picture of me using a BC quarry on it's roof for it's gold blocks.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

I liked morphing into the mind spiders you see when you've got high levels of Thaumcraft warp.

Morph also makes your HP reflect the target's HP. Those things have like half a heart, meaning you die from stubbing your toe.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Well this sucks. My twitch app broke and the Mods tab doesn't work anymore. Either it displays minecraft as having 0 modpacks installed, or it displays a completely blank white page. Clicking on minecraft when it shows up just gives me a loading symbol forever.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Blightfall.

With your drunk friends, on teamspeak or discord or something.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

President Ark posted:

immersive engineering's crusher is extremely fast ore doubling (it's like... two blocks processed/second) if you fully power it, although it's power hungry as poo poo

You can use a single thermal expansion dynamo boiler to power 2 1/2 immersive engineering steam turbines last I checked. I don't think power should be an issue.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I'm glad people have been looking at minecraft and thinking "I can do better than that!", there's been alot of ok and good minecraft clones but none of them have taken off because there's no fanbase to keep pushing it along. I eagerly await something that's programmed better than minecraft.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Blightfall's endgame is absolute garbage though. Having to awkwardly, jankily transport a big multiblock around the map in ways that can literally break your save, slowly transforming small chunks at a time, until you've done the entire world is tedium for no good reason and you've already won by that point anyway. I've played through Blightfall more than once and never had the patience to sit through the drat Totem of Dawn stuff.

Blightfall's endgame is running over the ocean with your inventory full of ichor wands, then swapping them out with another inventory full of ichor wands with 200 charging benches all hooked up to 50 or so energized nodes.
Also having like 10 people doing this, then doing the scan, then hunting down those damned nodes that are at bedrock level or above the clouds and punching them to death.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
There's a mod that makes a chest thats linked to a players inventory that lets you pipe stuff into your inventory or whatever, I forget what the mod is called, but it has a bunch of other stuff in it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Stevefin posted:

I have allocated about 8 gigs which seems to be plantey as it never reaches it when looking into it

Have you tried turning down your graphics? Reduce viewing distance?
Theres also various command line tweaks, but I forget what they are.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx87eVEDjNA

The latest direwolf20 video has me wanting to play minecraft again.

All that interesting crazy odd stuff in a kitchen sink pack that gives a bit of old technic modpacks vibe.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I saw BattleTowers in the thumbnail and immediately closed it.

I'm pretty sure you can turn off battletowers in that modpack and nothing bad would happen.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

lol no it isn't, Morrowind isn't that blocky. :P

Is there a mod to fix that?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Devalues my property value seeing them in my skyline :argh:

There's a thing called TNT. Alternatively I'm sure there's a few quarry mods you can use on it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

OgNar posted:

Playing on my old laptop, it could take from 5-10 mins just to turn mipmapping off.
It was truly horrible.
Game would run fine after that.

I don't know what mipmapping is, but I do know is minecraft runs better with it off.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

MaliciousOnion posted:

Speaking of performance, does anyone know why MC.Eternal runs like an enormous turd? I've turned mipmaps off and set chunks rendered to 8, and I've got enough RAM, but it lags incredibly badly. This is the first modpack I've ever had such big issues running.

It needs 8 gigs of ram, it also has a bunch of mods running that don't really add anything like hats and emotes, and it also adds a ton of heavy mods like thaumcraft, and it has something like 8 additional dimensions.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
MC eternal also as cyclic heart container you can eat, and everytime you eat it you get more hearts as far as I understand. You can also automate making it but it takes a block of emerald among a few other things. I've been watching direwolf showing off various things, but he only has 12 hearts or so. I have 30 hearts and I haven't killed the wither yet, mostly because I think I'm unprepared. Lots of other things he's shown that I want to do as well. I feel the need to move and rebuild my entire base because his is neat and tidy. But he also doesn't have like 15 garden cloches making stacks and stacks of materials and a decently sized AE system with 120 autocrafting recipies programmed into it.

He also doesn't have an immersive engineering railgun (which does hard damage and isn't changed by anything), which is probably your best friend in the nether (gently caress EVERYTHING in the nether).

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Is there a minecraft thread/post somewhere on making/maintaining minecraft servers?

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 21, 2020

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Theres a few mods that add compacting machines, thermal dynamics adds compactors, alternatively there's autocrafters.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

E-Tank posted:

did he *genuinely* think he was going to successfully sue you or was it all a massive bluff?

He did DMCA the server and that regardless of the authenticty of the DMCA or not, just the threat of one was enough to get the multiplayer server taken down by the provider.

Edit:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rutibex posted:

I knew it! Someone other than me loves 1.2.5 best. I'm not insane!

I still love the version of thaumcraft and other mods in Ye Olde Yogbox.
Also of note: I don't know if it's possible to play yogbox anymore because mojang is slowly getting rid of downloads for old versions of minecraft.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
In 1.12 and upward, I could never loving understand how making new spawners work until now and it only took 2 hours of crawling though youtube videos. My understanding is you can't spawn in spawners anymore with the correct mob in it. you have to plop down the spawner then use a spawn egg on it to get it spawning the correct thing.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm getting there in MC Eternal. It takes some serious damage to even hurt me at all, and I've got like 6 blue hearts? Mostly from eating foods. I caught a hippocampus in a mob ball so I'm gonna try and train that into a flying mount next.

The most reliable thing to hurt me is the live wires coming off the alternator powering the base :science:

There isn't a hard limit on how many hearts you can get by eating different foods. I have mine set on like 180 or something and is adjustable in the config but it's a bit annoying to do so, I need to extend it. I have dark pink hearts or something so I have 80+ hearts I think?

Edit: You WILL NEED ALL THOSE HEARTS. The underdark mobs hit for 4x damage or something, and there are ALOT of bosses that can instagib you for 20 hearts of damage or something silly.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Patware posted:

I keep seeing MC Eternal come up but I don't think I've seen anyone say what its gimmick is. Is it just a new big pack or does it have something cool going on?

It's just a big kitchen sink pack I think? It has mods like minecolonies and steves carts in there which I think really shouldn't belong in there.

I don't have anything against those two mods, it's just they're the two mods I can think of off the top of my head that are just overlapped by everything else in there.
And minecolonies is a rather CPU/memory heavy mod on it's own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Blind Duke posted:

I attach devices to my various machines to only turn on when nearly empty and turn off when nearly full. I aesthetically like seeing full pipes of items being dumped into machines going full bore occasionally than a constant small trickle.

This is why I liked buildcraft and logistics pipes so much, except it's bad for networks from all the network packets being thrown around every time something changes. Good for single player games I guess.