Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

I have a question.

If i put water and lava into the smelter using the reverse drains and other channel thing, but no obsidian was made, how do i get the water and lava out? (keep in mind that i was making obsidian in order to make fluiducts so i can finally move fluid around.......)

you can pump them out or drain them into tanks, or break the controller to destroy the liquids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

greententacle posted:

1. bow 2. Sword 3. Pickaxe 4. Shovel 5. Axe 9. bread 10. Torch

1 bow, 2 sword, 3 pickaxe, 4 torch, 5 shovel, 6 dirt/cobble, 10 food.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I'm playing blightfall, and I finally got some tainted wands to start doing stuff. and I know that nodes can be purified by leftclicking with a purify focus, and I have a frugal 3 purify focus on a tainted wand with mana-steel caps for 50% discount, and I still can't purify nodes. How much vis do I need to purify a node with a purify focus? I also noticed that there are two conflicting recipes for making ender shards, one requires 144 mb of enderium, the other requires 576 mb of enderium. And is Blightfall "finished" or there hasn't been enough reason for an update?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

I think it is 75 of each to purify a node (but i had some reductions on my wands so assume 100)

It takes a while, like, keep hitting it.

I never made endershards, what do you need them for?

And i think ive heard it said that blightfall wont get updated. Its too complete. (I tried putting in the botania update is is stuffed up thaumcraft, which is like the whole mod... and had to revert)

Endershards are used to make ichor which is part of TT-Kami which is ultra-endgame thaumcraft everything-requires-netherstars. And Taffer made a "slighty different/better" version of blightfall that has updated mods, changed recpies, and some more mobs for his server (now shut down) here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742198

FYI he did manage to update botania and have everything work.

Edit: you are right, you have to "punch" the node with the purification focus until it changes, and it takes alot more ordo than terra.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 25, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
[removed]

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 27, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

E: I know TC5 replaced nodes with Aura or something, how does that actually work? I haven't started playing with TC5 yet.

There are still "nodes", but they are mosty indestructible and exist for the most part separately from the physical world. Nodes "replenish" the aura and flow around to an extent. the 8 chunks around a chunk that has an entropy node will very quickly replenish entropy in the aura, but the further you go from a node, the less vis will flow to that area. Meaning it is entirely possible to deplete a certain type of vis in chunks. Nodes can be grown from silverwoods, but nodes that are too close will attract each other and one will eat the other. This won't be a problem if you have a node that has all the types of vis in it and you want it to grow, but if it doesn't then you've just lost a node permanently. Pure nodes will remove flux from the aura, but it destroys itself in the process.

As for wands, they only draw vis from the aura in your hand, if you have the research, in your hotbar. the specialized wands like the reed wand will recharge themselves to 50% even if there is no vis of that type in the aura. Staves and scepters get massive discounts over wands. Also a void capped primal staff is still impossible without cheating it in.

Taint is not much of a problem, but you may want to intentionally horribly taint an area for taint shards because alot of things are gated behind requiring tainted shards and a bunch of higher things require taint essentia. There is an alchemy research for making tainted shards but it needs alot of taint essentia for it.

Also the bosses in the thaumcraft dungeons will gently caress you up if you don't cheese the poo poo out of them, and they will also go supersayan if you damage them too quickly, the boss rooms also have anti-cheese measures in them as well.

One last thing, melting items into essentia has 80% efficiency meaning 1 out of every 5 essentia is lost, but they made it so you don't need pipes ever again for most things.

Also alot of things make flux so if you aren't farming silverwoods meticulously for pure nodes the taint will literally destroy the land and everything in it because taint in this version completely obliterates blocks.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've just spent the night doing what I can to make the lightning rod a viable overall power source, but it doesn't seem like a good bet. It's great for powering a few dimensions, for sure, but the limited output of 4096RF seems to be a total dealbreaker, even with 9 of them running together. They can't power my currently very modest base as well as my badass ender quarry without losing power in the buffer.

Stupid question, but do you have the lighting generators hooked up directly to tesseracks without any conduits inbetween? or is this a limitation of the lighting generator of it's limited power output?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

FalloutGod posted:

I'm playing blightfall and for the most part I'm enjoying it. I'm being bottled necked though and its made for a couple of frustrating hours. I need gold to make casts but I simply can't find it. Also spawn swarms are the loving worst. Is there a way for me to turn those fuckers off? They respawn at a ridiculous rate and the spawners grow on certain block types that are very abundant.

Gold spawns at the same place as it regularly does in vanilla minecraft, flying swarm spawners are made from tainted crust which is made from wood. Spider sacs can spawn anywhere.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Taffer posted:

Anything that forces me to interact with a wall of chests to find items is horrible and needs to die. AE2 is a cool mod, so are other mods that mitigate this problem, like storage drawers and logi pipes and refined relocation and others. But AE2 is the best of them.

This is why I can't figure out why people sometimes hate AE2 and other storage mods. I'm a hoarder, I often have 12 chests or so just dedicated to materials I dig up, and all the equipment and random other things that mobs drop take up another 4 chests or so. This doesn't include the 2-4 chests specific for every mod that has their own chest-filling poo poo. Ars Magica, Thaumcraft, Blood Magic, Tinkers, Botania, Runic Dust, Thermal Expansion, etc. Then there's the chests dedicated to storing certain categories: Wood and logs, construction, stone stuff, redstone stuff, seeds, food, mob drops, old equipment, saplings, ore, etc.

AE2 and other storage mods take alot of pain out of sorting though 20+ chests with signs looking for something, and all that poo poo takes up alot of room that could be used making everything pretty or immune to mob griefing or whatever.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

I'd love something along the lines of AE2 without the autocrafting that's real easy to make and doesn't take power. The drawers mod looks pretty close!

Drawers allows for easy putting masses of things into storage and storing a mass of a single thing like ingots, dusts, etc. But it's not super-easy retrieval like AE and AE2 offers. The Botania corporal thing allows for semi-easy retrieval and storage, but it doesn't have a fancy interface like AE.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

I just finished the journey to the core. I was really hoping after finishing the end it went to a fully normal world spawn.

It should end like in the end of Doom Episode 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb3Em8G3ffk&t=177s

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

OgNar posted:

My internet has been down since Monday, FYI Minecraft stops letting you play offline after 3 days.

Use your phone as a hotspot, just long enough to log onto minecraft.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ambaire posted:

Today in Banished WTF I bring you a Ghast that spawned in the Mesa biome adjacent and was intent on punching a hole through to my base with repeated fireball spam. It ate a single rock blast and died horribly. I forgot how much fun this modpack is. Ars Magica really is an amazing mod and I don't know why I don't see it more often in modpacks.

Because it has a whole bunch of horrible crashing bugs, a bunch of annoying bugs, and a few world ending ones. Some of the crashing bugs is you can do in 2 seconds with two mana batteries and a crystal wrench. Also mana batteries and nexuse lose all their bindings and energy when the chunk gets unloaded.

Also the repeated crashing bug happens when you connect mana batteries in a loop, why it would crash I don't know.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

lolmer posted:

Many of the bugs people are used to have been fixed or can be avoided. :) Bugs? Welcome to modded Minecraft. Ars Magica 2 is a very fun mod and still being worked on, though no updates for Minecraft 1.8+ yet.

Maybe Ars Magica 2 in Banished just needs to be updated or something? I know a few of these bugs caused Ars Magica 2 to be straight up removed and never looked at again on a few servers I used to play on.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Ars Magica 2 is one of my favourite mods ever and I love mining using a mining power-mining power-mining power-feather touch-dig beam spell. Beam is the best spell shape (aside from zone-aoe-dig for clearing mountains). Unfortunately yeah, gets looked down upon a lot.

You only need one mining power. After that you have the power to mine everything, but it drains mana on the hardness of the block, this means mazestone in the twilight forest is mineable but mining a single block will instantly drain all your mana.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

OgNar posted:

On the plus side, after trying out one magic mod after another and not liking any of them I finally found Ars Magica which is what I wanted in a magic mod all along. Though when i logged in today, something bugged out and my magic levels reset to 1. :/

There are commands you can use to change your magic level. Also backup your world once a day or so, Ars Magica can crash your world until you remove it if something goes wrong.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How do you all clear out the lower layers of Roguelike Dungeons without things like the scythe from legacy Tinkers Construct? There's only so much bypassing I can really tolerate to find all the hidden spawners. With 1.10.2 combat mechanics, it's an overwhelming volume of monsters.

TNT? use a buildcraft quarry or some other kind of quarry? computercraft turtle? Or just don't bother with it. The only thing I've found that lets me deal with those is just quarrying them, abusing Ars Magica 2 spells, or taking them out from a distance somehow. I find it easiest to just ignore them, quarry it, or don't set foot inside the dungeon, instead dig around it without setting foot inside the dungeon.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

OgNar posted:

Thats the second time Ars Magica reset my spell points back to 3 (the starting amount). Still keep my mana and spells but cant create any new spells unless I cheat them back in. Which is fine on single player, but on a server that could get to be a pain in the rear end.
Over all though it is a pretty fun mod.

I have to ask if you are using the latest version and the last time you reinstalled the pack, as well as if there are any other mods that might be unstable. Sometimes modpacks get corrupted or something and have to be reinstalled.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Taffer posted:

Hexxit is cool, but horrifically outdated, if that matters to you. Unfortunately there hasn't been a good replacement since then.

There hasn't been any real replacement for Yogbox besides Hexxit, which is a semi-replacement. Gonna always miss Minions Mod, I think the last server I played on that had it, I was the only one that could understand the controls and I loved the hell out of it (and everyone liked me because I used it so well) because I used it to dig the team's hideout with nice big rooms with almost no effort with very little time.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 26, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Otherwise, there is a huge pile of questbook modpacks. It seems to be the hip way to go. Stuff like:

Theres also
ME3 and ME4
FTB (the original)
Skyden (in the OP)
Seaden
Plus Block (in the OP)

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 11, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

ImpactVector posted:

And then crossbows are a whole extra level of stupid.

To fight stupid with stupid. There are alot of stupid things in modded minecraft with a stupid amount of HP.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Oh hey the IC2 OD Scanner scans all blocks in a 5x5 below you and reports how much ore is down there. So that's another way to scout out veins, but not as wide an area as the seismic prospector(which is presumably 16x16, the entire chunk). Much more spammable, though. The OV Scanner does the same thing but evaluates ore based on how "valuable" it is and the list on the wiki is rather restrictive compared to gregtech. I wonder if it's usable?

Edit: Apparently yes, it works with gregtech ore, but the value variance is not very high so it's not a very meaningful reading.

Oh hay the OD and OV scanners, If you accidentally punch anything with a scanner in hand, it breaks into nothingness.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Orbs contain Life Points that can be used by tools and rituals. Blood in the altar is liquid lp basically, which can only be used for making items via the altar IIRC. You can't get blood/LP out of the orb and back into the altar.

The only way to get blood in the altar is to hurt something. Either by giving your own hearts to the altar, sacrificing a mob on the altar, or using the ritual of torment or whatever to harm mobs around the altar. The ritual is usually what people use to generate large amounts of LP, by either autospawning mobs for it or abusing mobs that heal themselves (like Witches).

There is a ritual to take LP out of an orb and into an alter.
Cry of the Eternal Soul
https://ftbwiki.org/Ritual

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there something I'm missing with the Chisel mod? I don't know how to interact with it in the world.

Open up the chisel, put the block you want inside, close it, left click on a block in the world (til it breaks) to chisel it to the block currently in the chisel.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRY0AZgHP1g

AlgorithmX2 has done it again with another insane mod.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Carados posted:

Minecraft Modding: Nothing is as good as Blightfall.

Blightfall, with friends. And maybe Yogbox. It had a lot of old good stuff that never got updated.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

RFTools in 1.9+ has an actual elevator music too.

Someone, make this happen.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just out of idle curiosity, are there any skyblock-ish modpacks that revolve entirely around magic instead of tech? I feel like you might be able to do something interesting along those lines, but I don't know if there are any automation-style magic mods.

Garden of glass is the only one I can think of.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
How much longer is Technic gonna be down?

:shrug: Pretty sure it's not up.

Found the announcement on discord.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 28, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

So, as my one post of this:

I decided to do another thing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795898

Honestly at this point, people know what to expect from me, don't they? :v:

Oh Joy! another server for me to crash and burn by accidentally discovering server crashing bugs!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Sooo, StealthArcher did have a minecraft server, except with the mods and how terrible goons are, we crashed the server so bad that the physical server had was destroyed.

StealthArcher posted:

Karth has contacted me, a speed record!

So yeah. You motherfuckers (technically this is unprovable, but I'm blaming you cause it's funnier) killed Karth's mech HDD. So he went and bought a set of SSDs.

Gjoob arsewaffles, you wiped the server by outright destroying it :v:

So I have to start over completely now, but that's not the worst. It'll be back up sometime today, we *did* lose everything though.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That's a tough trick with the autonomous activator because it has to be right next to the netherrack. It looks like every other time I've done this, I've put the gear on the south and west sides. I think the tree expands out north and east. I just flipped the gear around a little bit and got a few trees through just fine.

I couldn't figure it out from the Natura source code when I tried to peek at it, but I was relieved to see they're working on getting it out on 1.10.

First put the sapling/netherrack where you want it to grow, wait for it to grow, THEN put in the Autonomous activator and the harvester AROUND the bloodwood, THEN chop down the bloodwood.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

spice of life is still one of the few things to straight up hurt my blightfall run. turning that off was the best thing i did.

also, i'm enjoying the roots mod for how chill it is in terms of progression.

I got an axe of healing before I ever got a cow... Sooo, I have to agree with you there.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

This is what you're supposed to do to upgrade each step yes. I personally recommend the Void-capped Tainted Wand as a goal to work towards though. Regens vis when in a tainted biome, or when you get taint-poisoned, something like that.

People get all whiny about Warp but it never really bothered me that much.

It's annoying for a few reasons, needing to carry a stack of flesh around when you get a craving for it and dying to it if you are afk because that poo poo drains hunger like nothing else. Burning in sunlight, and then the deathgaze kills your valuable animals and if you are on ship you aggro the NPCs. I remember one time the admin gave out a creative thaumcraft learning book. After about a minute of the first person reading it we got attacked by ten guardians, TEN OF THEM. I have no idea how no one died from that poo poo considering all we had were stone swords.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Or use whole blocks instead of fencing? :shrug:

I did that to keep a tamed portion of blight nearby to occasionally generate mobs. There was a blighted node I didn't want to cleanse off just yet and surrounded it all with glass two blocks high. I had cleared the blight around it before hand, so it meant the fibrous taint only generated on the surface where the node was. Fibrous can't jump across transparent blocks and it was a flat grassy surface devoid of trees. Good place to freely experiment and tease the blighted creepers.

Taint fibers can be spawned anywhere above and below the node as well. If there are caverns there, its easy for them to spread there.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ariong posted:

I'm starting Tekkit Legends back up with only my hazy 4-year old Tekkit memories to go on. I thought that I could just hook a wooden pipe up to a chest and connect that to a macerator with cobblestone pipes, but that makes ores go flying all over the place. I need a solution to this problem, but more importantly, I was wondering if there was a good set of first-time guides with the various core mods. Buildcraft, Industrialcraft, Equivalent Exchange, etc.

code:
 stone pipe       stone pipe     stone pipe
 stone pipe                      stone pipe
chest ->          wooden pipe -> insertion pipe
This way, if there is no room in the macerator it returns to the chest.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I've been wanting to ask, what are your favorite "new to mods" experiences?

Mine was my first base in technic back just before forestry was removed and mo mobs was in with the block busting ogres or whatever they were called were still in. I had just finished my dirt hut and I was exploring what new weapons I had, and I had accidentally made like 10 spears or daggers or whatever and I was sitting in my dirt hut messing with the chest wondering whats with the 10 kinds of ore and an ogre comes busting in though the wall and breaks the chest I'm using, and the only thing going though my head was "FUUUUUUUUUUCK" and I'm hurling the 10 spears I have at it and it dies. the things going though my head are "I need a new chest, I need a new wall, and I need to go underground".

Another experience I had (after mo mobs was gone), I had made my base in the top of a RP2 rubber tree and I had some IC2 stuff going, there was a storm going on and the weather mod was making that whistling high wind noise, I had made my first solar panel and I had just placed it, I turn by back for two seconds and I hear a lighting strike as it had hit close to me and hurt me. I find that my IC2 solar panel I had just made was just obliterated by lighting. :argh:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

Man, I really hope there are non-ic2 options. Thanks though. It's good to know it's possible at least.

the IC2 terraformer, last I checked, does not actually change the biome, it can freeze water and put snow everywhere like a snow biome, it can make it rain non-stop, it can randomly plant and grow plants, it can convert dirt to sand and burn down vegetation, but it doesn't actually change the biome.

Blood magic, witchery, a thaumcraft add-on (forgot the name), are the only things I know that can actually "change" the biome.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

Well I've found my peakmoddedminecraft.txt right here.

Someone get direwolf to put a nuke under his crucibles so palimar can blow up their base with something other than creepers and withers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

CrazyTolradi posted:

Remember when Gregtech would force a crash if it was running with TiCon? Fun times.

Remember when forestry did destructive bees? also crashing your game? and reporting you for using illegal mods and illegal modpacks? and reporting you for using technic? and forge used to refuse to run if one of your mods failed an MD5 hash or something?