Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«10 »
SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

How do Psi and Ars Magica 2 compare? I like the idea of being able to make my own spells, but how are they in terms of ease of use or range of available effects?

Psi you can have almost everything unlocked from the get-go with the only constraint being doing the mini games and how well you program or copy-paste programs and the resources required.
It has ALOT more toys and use in it than Ars Magica 2.

Ars Magica 2 is two or three orders of mangitude more grindy as you have to kill stuff and cast spells to gain levels to cast more spells to unlock more stuff, and requires significantly more resources and mining, but is significantly more combat oriented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

central dogma posted:

Wanted to post an album of the Project Ozone 2: Titan base my wife and I have been working on. I'm not sure if I can embed an album here, but here's the link:

http://imgur.com/a/Iu3yM

We went through the first 1/4 of the game through Kappa mode on accident, before I realized Titan mode was the one I was looking for. It was quite something getting only 1 stick from 1 log...

Sadly, we'll probably have to retire this world soon, even though we haven't finished Avaritia. We need to use imaginary time blocks to get the materials we need in any reasonable amount of time, but it drops our FPS down to 10-15ish on our 3 year old laptops.

That's quite pretty. If you are having FPS issues, you could relocate your stuff that doesn't need to be chunk loaded into a far away place or in another dimension. Or make a dedicated server in your house for it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

If that's the mod that I think it is, can you make wooden sheers to cut leaves? you might be able to smelt plants and leaves in a crucible to get water.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Blightfall is, like, the only pack I've ever played where Spice of Life is actually serving a functional purpose. It encourages you to go out and explore, to find the staples you need for your diet.

I went out and got an axe of healing before I bothered to make a cooking for blockheads kitchen.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Dareon posted:

I put together a 1.10 pack with Pam's, Mo'Creatures, MineColonies, BoP, Psi, and AM2. Wound up in a heated battle with a tiger that was camping outside my hut. Killed me like ten times.

MineColonies provides a definite jumpstart in terms of early-game safety. All you need is a boat made of boats and maybe a stack of blocks to build a pier with and you have a nice big ship, all lit up, with beds, chests, and even some amenities to harvest and use elsewhere. The biggest problem is the deck is high enough that falling off it onto a dock does half a heart of damage. Died three times that way.

Minecolonies is back? I loved that mod when I played YogBox.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Its not lazy, Buildcraft was written for raw Minecraft. All of these other mods now have a huge modding API in the form of Forge or Thermal Expansion framework or whatever. They have a lot less work to do to get a mod off the ground.

You can ask any number of people about how horribly I crashed a minecraft server for a week using a buildcraft quarry and a deep storage unit and whoever made deep storage units came out and specifically made a patch just for me because buildcraft couldn't handle a deep storage unit rejecting something being put into it's inventory that didn't belong .

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

https://fat.gfycat.com/QuestionableAromaticCats.webm

Someone showed me his build but it's an amazing build so I'm posting it here.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Taffer posted:

Yes, by a lot.

Does minecraft still do horrible things to SSDs?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If we're talking about mage combat, then is there a decent 4-slot spell in AM2 for ranged combat? I cheated in a lightning spell that was basically projectile + 5 lightnings and I couldn't even cast it. I cheated up to level 20 and found I still couldn't knock out an 80 HP GoG mob before I ran out of mana. So I was hoping to find something simpler that could still dish it out.

Adding more "lightning" does not add more damage. The things that affect spell damage is damage type, your magic level, the +damage modifer (up to 3), if you have an arcane book or not (arcane guardian), what the enemy is weak against (only applies to some mobs), and things that straight up add damage to your attack (potions of strength, wolfpelt bracers from some thaumcraft addon, etc)

If you want simple, the best way is projectile -> AoE or Zone -> damage -> tangle.

Zone will apply spells to a 3x3 area inside of it once a second for 3 seconds (so 3 applications), and tangle applies a powerful slow for a few seconds.

Also don't forget to have armor (doesn't have to be ars magica armor) with imbuned effects from the inbunement enchanter (burn-out reduction, mana regeneration) for easier time casting spells.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well I haven't gotten to radius, entangle, damage, or zone. It's nice to at least know tossing a ton more lightnings on it won't do any good. It looks like it only knocks off 10HP or so on stuff that has 80HP, which is honestly better than most weapons in the early game, but I only get about three shots before I have a long recharge. So rewinding even further--is there anything I can do to boost up before I've, say, gotten up a really good mining operation?

If you want absolute easiest way to murder everything, you want a projectile "mark" spell and a projectile "recall" spell. Create a deathpit with spikes or whatever, shoot the "mark" location into the place you want mobs to be teleported to, then whenever you see a mob, shoot it with the projectile "recall" spell, this will teleport the mob to where you marked. And since it is an unescapable deathpit, you really don't need to worry too much about the mob's hp, only if it can escape or not.

I don't remember how this would work if the chunk the marked area is in is unloaded.

If you are running out of mana after 3 shots, I would just suggest you space out your shots more and/or imbuning your armor with 2 burnout reduction and 2 mana regeneration. The more you cast spells the higher your burnout is, which increases the mana cost of your spells, or use a cheaper damage type. Lighting does the most damage, but is also the most expensive, magic does the least damage, but is the least expensive.

But if you have the magic levels and the materials you could go for the silver skills and just turbomurder your way.

Firestorm, blizzard, and starstrike are the 3 silver skill damage ones, the best one is firestorm, the cheapest is starstrike.

Starstrike does 10-20 damage in an AoE but it takes a few seconds for it to land from space.
Firestorm does fire damage that ignores damage frame invulnerability and doesn't destroy items (I think).

I haven't played minecraft for 6 months so I'm a bit out of date with my knowledge.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

On the Mekanism turbines, what exactly does the "dump excess" do? Am I dumping steam, water, or what?

This means if it fills up it will keep accepting stuff, but destroy whatever it can't store/use.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

KingLemming posted:

Cool stuff!

It's always nice to know you and other modders are still alive, both physically and in mind/spirit.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

So I finally got minecraft working somehow on my laptop, I get invasion going, turns out they nerfed ALOT of things, and would also explain why all the youtube LP stars are only playing a certain version. You only get one plank or so for every log, so many loving mobs, and so much much more.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

lolmer posted:

You can even disable comments so you never have to hear from anyone and can pretend no one else is using your modpack.

I'm just terrible at minecraft having not played minecraft for 7 months.

And I just realized the drones throw barrels of TNT.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at Jun 15, 2017 around 00:02

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

After dying like 50+ times, trying to do anything with minecolony other than deploying the supply caravan chest is a mistake it seems. It takes a few days for the builder to just set up the town hall and he doesn't work on rainy days, and the massive amount of processed and crafted wood materials is obscene for the little benefit it gives in game, and the arson happy raiders tend to start spawning on day 2, and raiders also spawn regardless of light levels, meaning the only thing that can stop them from spawning is the powered lamp.

Raiders spawn next to flamable building-> raiders burn down flamable building-> spend more time and resources on something that's going to be burned down or exploded.

The guards are about on par with a disposable item turret, except in the later days when radiers have 30-300 hp and hit like brick poo poo houses if you don't have good armor, also the guards do not understand Line of Sight. They're pretty good, but not in invasion modpack.
The Sawmill/wood cutters only chop down trees and don't give planks ("saw mill"?), and the builder can't craft things that he needs to craft and some building higher than tier 1 needs crafting tables when crafting tables are a consumable uncraftable commodity which requires that you pick up 9 crafting tables. The Armorer and bakery can't be made even though their benefits are minimal, bread is hard to craft and bugs are 10 times better for eating after you get a deep fryer, or just eat baked potatoes or carrots.

When playing invasion modpack, don't bother with minecolony, it's good, just not on invasion modpack. Or just save yourself the pain and just remove it manually from the modpack for reduced load, same with that airplane mod that I never knew existed until I looked though the recipes.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Nevemrind.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

This is minecraft, the only forms of modding that is terrible is DRM, buildcraft, exploding bees, better than wolves, and people that threaten legal action against people using their mods.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Minecraft Modding: You can't even make doors in a crafting table. I guess they're too OP or something.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

mehall posted:

I tried turning leaves/saplings into water but they just go to dirt.
Do i have the wrong tool?

You want a wooden crucible, not a barrel.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Apparently Advanced Rocketry has been abandoned. Like, it's dead, according to a lot of people I've read.

Edit: well, it might not be. The dev just hasn't been responding to github issues and such for over a month.

I sincerely hope it's not something like a Flowerchild Zealot running around killing mod authors or something but with how crazy people are it wouldn't surprise me.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Posted this originally in the PGS thread of my server but it has a better place here I think:

Minecraft colonies mod:
Found a potential island, started doing minor landfilling/terraforming. Being able to just plop down a ship to hide in during the night is loving ace. I did kinda feel obligated to move into SP to actually test Minecolonies. There is SOME documentation and videos that I could find but I couldn't find a nice comprehensive source, and my first attempt to start building sort of worked but everything feels really slow. I understand there's a need to build things up and make my workers better over time, but the initial limitation of "I refuse to use anything better than wooden/golden tools" is just weird. I have iron shovels. Accept them! And even if they can only use wooden shovels, still their dig speed is abysmal(yet placing blocks in SP seems to be really speedy regardless of their stats). And for a builder he is awfully stupid. He has a craft bench, he should be able to take the glass I give it and turn it into panes him/herself. Perhaps that is what INT is for.

I keep reading about immigrants with random stats but mine all have 1's, and I don't seem to get any with something better.

Basically I think I may have started slightly wrong. It may be better to set up a temporary hobo tech hut with stuff from the other mods and return with more materials and faster digging tools to assist the silly workers.

The worker buildings need to be upgraded to higher levels for them to be able to use better than wood/gold, the people inside of structures get better when you upgrade their structure (takes so drat much resources). Also I think the builder crafting stuff was either disabled or removed so it would fit in better for the "INVASION" modpack.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Tried playing Sink Into Madness.

That would be the reason why you can't play it, you are already Knee Deep in Minecraft Modding Madness.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

MSB2 status:

gently caress YOU BEEEEEEES

totally worth building all that gendustry stuff

Sengir is probably masturbating furiously to this.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

Ok, due to me not knowing how any of this works i somehow got a forge built????

but it isnt complete. I got the message it was complete, but half of the floor is missing as well as bits of the roof.

The townhall is being built, as well as a builder i think......

Is there a command that would just wipe everything minecolonies so i can start again?

You can just axe up all the cores of the buildings to get rid of minecolony. If a building is "half finished" or something you can hit the "repair building" button in the interface and the builder will completely replace or place all the materials that should be there.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Kinglemming at this rate you are eventually going to end up with a paid minecraft modding job and replace a quarter of the tech mods and end up doing it right. Or might even get hired on by microsoft for Microsoft minecraft mods or something.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

I would think hosting the server on a separate computer would massively help with playing minecraft as well, but that would require another decent computer.

What the gently caress happened to my stupid baby avatar?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

hungry hungry flowers.

I think it's how much hunger the food is worth. The more fufilling the food is, the more mana you can get with it. a cooked ham will give more mana than however many apples it's worth of hunger, if I am remembering it correctly.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Devor posted:

9. Bees

Do we still need to stop and think about needing the stupid breeding/gambling simulator that is bees?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

so why does everyone say the chaos guardian from draconic effortlution is so hard, i never have any problems killing at least the easy ones

1. It moves around alot and throws ALOT of projectiles, all of which do tons of damage
2. You need to kill all the crystals before you can do damage to it.
3. it's been known to delete saves if you die to it.
4. you need heavily upgraded gear and some heavily upgraded capacitors.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

In Age of Engineering, is there any way to automate the repairing of tinker's tools? I'm trying to make an automatic wood farm with a wooden lumber axe, but I can't find a way to pull a repaired axe out of a tool station.

There's a way to make indestructible tools made of paper. Useless for anything but automatic farms. I think it involves slapping obsidian plates onto it until you get un-breaking X.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh nice, one of the mods I just updated in my personal modpack isn't letting me open basic chests. I can get into them via an adjacent Tinkers' workbench, but that's it. Chests made of non-oak still work, though.

Time to start looking into how to make an RFTools storage system, I guess.

Vanilla chests are too OP so they have to be banned.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

I've gotten bored of the Technic 1.7.10 pack. Any suggestions for another one to try?

There's a bunch of ye-olde modpacks that are still good. YogBox, Blightfall, Roots (by Shukaro) if it still works, Sky den (any of them), and many others.

Edit: it seems Shukaro's modpacks are dead, as well as his Technic user-profile.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at Jan 22, 2018 around 06:32

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

modded_minecraft.rm

A pixie winged heavy armor with a crown, with a chunk of metal for a shield, and a monicle. It's missing square boobs, monster girls, and a laser sword fight in the background.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

MaliciousOnion posted:

Infernal Mobs makes combat infuriatingly difficult until you reach a certain point; then it just becomes extremely irritating when you have to clear out a mob with quad health, regen and an extra life.

The rewards you get for killing them are often poo poo as well. For the hour it takes to kill the thing it should at the very least reward you with a nether star or a diamond block.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is MFR getting updated to 1.12.2, or is that Industrial Foregoing mod going to be the effective replacement?

According to Taffer, industrial foregoing has some dumb things in it, including the fact that sewage is literally lava. Last I heard Taffer was going to fork it and fix a bunch of bugs with it and add new features. But yes, Industrial foregoing is meant to be an up-to-date replacement for MFR.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Immersive Engineering does, indeed, have turrets. Bullet and flamethrower turrets. Be careful with the latter, though -- they can inflict some pretty serious friendly fire. They do shred endermen though.

Immersive engineering also has telsa coils which do not discriminate what they shock, there is armor that mitigates it but it only lasts so long.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

You can also attune the star mantle to Vicio and it'll give you free flight, I think. Unless that's been specifically disabled.

Also yeah, most packs really fall off at the end. Hell, look at Blightfall. I don't care what anyone says, the Totem of Dawn poo poo was terrible. I felt so cool finally getting it built and assembled with everything I've learned, and then even powered with the right essence it was so slow and affected such a tiny sliver. And I'm expected to clear out the entire map with this thing? Even with the few jury-rigged options for sloppily moving it around that's nothing but tedium.
It's a shame too, but then, even Sky Den sorta petered out and ended with "okay here's a mystcraft book, you win".

Though, speaking of packs and Mystcraft, I'd really love to see a new gimmick pack that plays off alternate dimensions as its main hook. Like, start in an empty void dimension, skyblock, or a dead realm, and rely on RFtools or Mystcraft or whatever generated dimensions to pop through and explore that way. I think a pack that's not just bolstered by but designed around dimensional mechanics could really be a lot of fun, but I've never seen anything like that.

I remember that, NONE of the "move the totem around" options actually worked. Either pipes or ME cables would be left, and if you teleported an ME drive, it would dupe everything in it, and the ship doesn't like the totem and would horribly crash the server or something.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i seriously wish a sequel to blightfall would come out

Thaumcraft is dead. It would have to be centered around something other than Thaumcraft, but thaumcraft is the only mod that I know of that has "the taint" and the mechanics behind it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

also lol if you don't feed yourself with a comically large syringe filled with liquid fairy meat
Thats how potions are made.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/041018.jpg
URL because it can't be simply put here.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at May 25, 2018 around 23:26

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yep. Just make sure to always have frames in them -- otherwise the honeycomb production rate is basically nonexistent. You can't automate insertion of frames, either -- it's specifically and intentionally disallowed by the developer.

There's mods for fixing that. Although some of them are bad but it's better than nothing.

«10 »