Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Perfect, now they can be used effectively and aesthetically at the same time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Rynoto posted:

AE2 pro-tip: Go into the config file and turn off cable limits. Never deal with that annoyance again.

Alternatively work with it over a couple of modpack iterations to get a sense of how it all works and then build compact and aesthetically pleasing. You don't start by banging out a perfect system the first time through.

Like this is like 7th or 8th time using AE2 systems that are using multiple sides of a controller. The paired interface/assembler things I cooked up from playing Blightfall a couple years ago. The crafting units (2x3x1 with four on each side) are a smaller reproduction from Project Ozone 2 about a year back. Then I threw in that many disk drives because I needed something to fill space.

You can't see the cables in the first shot because I hid them with covers. That tiny bit of neon you see in the middle is the ME controller. A single block is controlling everything you see in the first shot, a second floor of like four screens to interact with what's inside, and a decent amount of automation in the basement. Oh and one channel is connected to a subnetwork for what I really wanted to try this time around.

This is a massive (incomplete) storage facility using Deep Storage Units that will happily accept 2 billion of a single type of item each. A fully loaded subnetwork that's using another single block ME controller can handle ~190 DSUs. And that's before moving to another block type that combines 9 DSUs into a single block. This is why my disk drives are so empty.

Sometimes it's fun working within limitations. To each their own, though, I can understand not wanting to deal with the frustration.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

IIRC, ME drives aren't special like that. You can form an ad-hoc network out of any two channel-using devices. P2P tunnels often travel over an ad-hoc network, for example.

Which culminates in using a subnetwork to transfer all channels via P2P tunnels from a giant ME controller to control a giant AE2 system or pushing a dumb amount of channels through quantum entanglement to a chunk far away. You rarely need to do something like this, however, I only started when I hit post-scarcity and was doing Avaritia silliness.

Ariong posted:

So, you’re saying that if your system goes

Terminal——————drive-drive-controller

Then the terminal and left drive might become a second system to the right drive and controller?

No. If a cable runs out of channels then you'll find your devices have gone off-line, not split into two separate networks.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 8, 2018

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Here's the modpacks I currently have installed:

For those who might not know all of these (not just the person I quoted) here's a rundown from left to right.

* Direwolf20 pack: 1.12, kitchen sink. Has a custom mod, Meecreeps, that is fun to mess around with. It summons little helpers that can do rote tasks like cut down trees and dig around.
* Exoria: 1.12, quest progression pack. Made by the same dude who did Age of Engineering. Has good pacing and is built around opening up new dimensions for progress.
* SevTech Ages: 1.12, quest progression pack. Has a start that is very much like terrafirmacraft, and five separate stages. Quoted as a pack that would take "six months" to complete, but that was in the context of streamers and youtubers, who don't play as frequently.
* Crimson Skies: 1.12, quest progression skyblock. Made by the same guy who did the Modern Skyblock series. Compared to MSB3, it's considered a more "expert" pack. Based around Astral Sorcery for progress. Fairly light mod loadout.
* Infinity Evolved Skyblock: 1.7.10, progression skyblock. Dated, but a challenging expert progression map. Version 2.0 is notable for actually having a quest book! There are no quest rewards, though -- it's basically a tutorial on how to progress. Relies heavily on IC2 and Buildcraft.
* FTB Pyramid Reborn: 1.12 expert quest progression skyblock. A spiritual successor to the old FTB Pyramid map. Uses in-world mechanisms for quest progression instead of a quest book. Very small mod layout, and quite short to complete.

dragonshardz posted:

You could also check out Disasterpiece Theater if you'd like to play with goons

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Depends posted:

Playing through Blightfall, what is the throughput on a mana fluxfield? Will it take as much as I can shoot at it and pass that to a tesseract or do I need to split it up into multiple fluxfields?

It'll take as much as you can shoot into it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

Aren't a lot of the "design decisions" in gregtech essentially based in "I've (Greg) been cheating my rear end off, but people on my server are starting to catch up to me, so I must make everything take longer with more steps and resources"

That was what started this whole nonsense but then it turns out there's a subset of people who like tedium so the insanity continued on from there.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

"Oh and the pool is too shallow, you have to be sitting in the water and cast straight up to have the bobber not catch on the ground."

The snow/desert islands were somewhat interesting but I wouldn't want to do it again.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Do you have access to liquid fuels so you can use compression dynamo? You mention resin, you can fractionate that into tree oil and burn it. If you have coal access or crude oil, both can be eventually transformed into refined fuel which has relatively high RF values (without fiddling with the config, tree oil is 400 000 RF per bucket whereas refined fuel is 1 500 000 RF).

I've also done dumb things with food generators, if that's an option.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Heh, reminds me of my industrial fish farm that powered itself through burning enchanted items and, along with a single garden cloche, made sushi. Server is no longer up so I can't post pictures, sadly.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Have they fixed the generation loops ProjectE often has because if they say they did I don't believe 'em.

Ask me about the time I made resources appear because of combining the red matter tools. And it still not being enough for the Avaritia configuration in the modpack!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You'd be hard-pressed to find a good quest book that doesn't eventually devolve into 'make this because it's what other modpacks do'

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The ultimate in high-tech decadence, that.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Ak Gara posted:

So naturally I start adding things for Avaritia. Adding everything together took awhile such as all the food for meatballs etc, and...uh...

You found out why Avaritia is commonly without EMC values. Also why that mod is insane.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That seems a bit dumb. I'm now imagining coils of cable just idly meandering around the generator before the actual output point.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It looks like it should allow it, according to this:

quote:

Automation: Like most Calculator Machines the Precision Chamber has reconfigurable sides which can be changed by right-clicking the side with a Wrench. It has two configurations (Input and Output).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, cryotheum is affected by gravity.

You can sort of make columns of cryotheum which will flow to adjacent empty space and then do some janky add/remove stuff to force flow further away that will save even more buckets.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Sounds like it's time for a version rollback~

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Automate fire resistance potion creation, place storage at both sides of your entrance. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

And it does add a little problem of having to sort the output if you don't want it to back up. It's a great addition all around.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

All I remember is that my PO2 game was my first real introduction to Pneumaticraft and it was a pain to figure out how to crank up the heat appreciably for the refinery using Vortex Tubes. Documentation doesn't tell you exposure of any surface of the system bleeds out the heat so you have to hide it under blocks as 'insulation'. My thinking at the time while trying to figure that out was if one wasn't enough, expand the system..which made the system worse. It wasn't very intuitive and kind of soured my opinion of the mod.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Well it was a not-so-subtle 'fork you' to the original author. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Is it a void thaumcraft node from that set of particles hovering in the sky?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I get irrational when I have to store a hundred similar but-not-quite components that do not stack because their NBT values are different. it's why I don't engage with Tinker's Construct as well as I could.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

runchild posted:

If one were looking to create a sky block void world with some prebuilt islands, is there some way you can force an area to be a certain biome?

Make sure to use the same seed for map gen so you know where certain biomes are?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

What's the mod that highlights blocks when you shift-right click them, usually with an empty hand? It's incredibly annoying and appears to override other shift-right click things like removing rock crystals from Astral Sorcery's grindstone. Persists through dimensions too.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Is it a rainbow outline around the block? Are you wearing a Ring of Loki?

Yep and yep. Looks like I need to condemn it to my AE storage forever. Good thing I don't need Thor so I can just focus on winning Odin and wearing it forever.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Well now I definitely have to fit up my base with a glass ceiling to see those guys skitter along. :3:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

Just cheat whatever item from Abyssalcraft you need. You won't be missing out on anything.

Truth. The different dimensions it poses does have a bit more variety in them than Galacticraft and Extended Galacticraft's planets but they are still "grind mobs for materials using a special stick, upgrade stick and book, fight boss, build key, access next dimension, repeat."

I haven't found anything in particular I'd use from that mod outside of it yet.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Fairly certain you could replicate the steam capacity with a single Barrel (from Barrel, Crates and <something>). They've got relatively cheap upgrade paths.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That mod isn't in FTB Interactions. You're maybe thinking of SF4?

Yeah, I thought this was that. Whoops!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

After getting into the Parabox thing with Sky Factory 4, I have to say it is the dumbest implementation of an idea ever. The power you've already dropped into the box doesn't disappear when you deactivate it or fail a target, you just lose the accumulated prestige points. So all you have to do is prep it to just below the first target, flick it on with a trickle of power to bump it over, collect the items you want to dupe into your inventory, and wait 10 minutes to close the loop. Once closed, the world is reset so the parabox is already prepped for another round of duping. The mod that's intended to bar your way into quality of life mods is the same mod that launches you past that point!

I can do this as soon as I
a. break into the very early stages of Mekanism (osmium and steel)
b. get to the Lost Cities for Tritanium and early stages of Matter Overdrive
c. Get ~7 ender pearls

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let me tell you about Nuclearcraft and breeding stronger forms of fuel from Thorium and Uranium. God help you if you're planning to use a Salt Reactor.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, true. At least all their intermediate products are used as fuel!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

How so? The only one I've noticed is that sometimes I have to restart the instance when I return to the Overworld when using one of the Telecakes. The mobs are stuck in a loop and I can't do anything with the blocks.

I've only generated a flat grasslands world though so I can't remark on the more esoteric starts.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Alternatively, you can use item pipes to suck out inventories and output into an ME interface block, which doesn't have a bandwidth limit like an Import Bus does. It will handle any number of items simultaneously.

This is generally how my machine room gets its results back into my network, particularly when playing with channels on.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

If you're talking Sky Factory 4 yeah, it's not really a good demonstration of the logistical puzzle you're aiming for + guidance to get there. It feels like it was designed for people to stream and "complete" in a reasonable amount of time.

It does have the Industrial Foregoing mod with conveyor belts for item transportation if you want to scope that out a bit. There's also Thermal Foundation's itemducts and servos to extract items from the inventories of other blocks. Another option not in that modpack is Immersive Engineering which has its own version of conveyor belts and more steampunk and industrial revolutiony than the rest.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 2, 2019

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Oriental Hugs posted:

What mod pack had you re claiming a world that was filled with cursed blocks? And you had to plant flowers to clear them.

Blightfall, using Thaumcraft as its main mod and some additional custom code to support it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You get plenty of ideas doing that. One of the iterations of Progress someone made an automated food dispenser for anyone that visited, I can't remember what food it was. Then the next I decided to make my own version with tofu meatlover's pizza in a vaguely pizzeria looking place and a fishing plant on the shore nearby that made sushi (that one was more because I didn't know what else to do with all the fish).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Sheer inertia and being the one of the first, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The same reason one builds a giant array of mining lasers to pull out ore out of thin air. Because you can.