Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

taiyoko posted:

I still haven't found a single piece of lead ore mining in Biodome Alpha, and I've been branch mining from surface to y 30-ish, and jumping around some caves even lower than that.

Sounds like my issues with finding tin. Found all the rest of tech metals, had an oureclase pick axe and it still took several long treks before I found at least one.

The Purify Focus is my fire hose. Spray indiscriminately, get mobbed by thaumic slimes from the released crusted taint, collect the vis, repeat until dead! And on the side collect enough goo for vitium phials. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You might be able to ghetto power stuff with Botania RF generation. I don't know how powerful that is though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Blightfall 2 is probably the furthest I've got with the recent Thaumcraft. Getting to holding nodes open so they can leak vis into my wands was surprisingly painless. I didn't find the Messis node, but I managed to stumble on a Tutamen node for my first (3/4 every aspect) and a Lucrum (all at 4) node for my second.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Be sure to slaughter them inside the liquid taint so they don't quite die the first time around sometimes. And once they're a certain size killing them splits them into two smaller ones that will get bigger because of the liquid taint causing a sort of cascade effect of slimes that will mob you in short order. It's great. Makes purifying in forests never boring.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Kind of. You can transmute iron to copper and/or tin, but I doubt you can do the same to get platinum and ferrous if you can't get native clusters from those.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

senae posted:

To clarify, transparent blocks can stop the spread of fibrous taint, which is what actually spreads the "tainted" status to chunks, but if there's any partially tainted caves underneath you they'll eventually infect the rest of the chunk. Fibrous taint can also spontaneously appear in tainted chunks, but I don't think that's super common.

I can't speak for other biodomes but beta has a series of tunnels winding all around underneath it, making it a near certainty that it will be infected up to the tree if left to rot.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

I know you can attach a ball of moss to, say, a stack of throwing knives to make it replenish itself, but is there any other way to replenish TiCon ammo?

Unsure if this works, but can you "repair" it by giving it the ingot it's made out of?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Harvestcraft needs a sort of kitchen counter block so you just need to bring food to it and have all the utensils at hand without having to dig through your inventory or storage. And have it connect to an adjacent inventory so you don't even need to bring food to it. Make it a multiblock kitchen island or something for customization and aesthetic purposes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

They aren't purifiable because they aren't 'tainted,' they're just CustomNPC that are set to hostile. This can work in your favour as Taintacles don't like them either :cthulhu:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

To add to the AE stuff, you don't necessarily have to use an ME Import Bus to dump things into your AE network. That's there to pull things directly from an adjacent inventory. If you use an ME Interface and push items into it with something like itemducts, the Interface will accept any number of items with no bandwidth cap. This is the cheaper option.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, so long as the machine pushes their outputs to that side.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Hopefully the mana system isn't a closed loop because your setup would lose an incremental bit of mana based on the distances involved between mana spreaders. Could see it based on a timer that starts off with some endoflame receiving charcoal resulting in the bore beam collection and eventually ends up in your main mana pool system, reduced in quantity but at least not wasted.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Double the size of an ethereal bloom, so you're gaining double the area covered that the two ethereal blooms used in the infusion recipe would provide.

Taint would grow back if there were sources of fibrous taint still at the edges. Typical sources that you wouldn't be able to see are the cavern pockets. If you somehow manage to hit a point where there are no pockets intruding into your cleared space, taint would not spread. It also does not spread while the chunk is unloaded.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Magres posted:

It's more like triple than double. Blooms cover a circle that's radius ~8, the Totem covers a square that's 48x48 (I think, I haven't counted it out precisely but it definitely looks like it cleans 9 chunks - the chunk it's in and every adjacent chunk). Blooms cover around 200 squares (just doing 8*8*3.14), totems cover just over 2300 squares if my 48x48 is right.

Well that certainly blew my assumption away. I was basing it on the Thaumonomicon's description which seemed to make it like it would be only 16 radius; good but arguably worth just pumping out ethereal blooms instead.

9-chunk distance is well worth the cost, however. I'll probably start into that after I get my arcane bore built.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You can make inferences based on what type of ore it is. Netherrack ores are all on the volcano islands, for example, and the two ender ores are on the Eerie Obsidian Tower island. Plus the HQM Geologist quests definitely makes you aware of where to start digging for the metallurgy ores.

I have a feeling the books unlock based on the first entry for some of them, unfortunately.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Well you could continue expanding your biodome of choice or start cleaning up the Swamp Delta so the first island is secure and use that as your base. The trick with overland exploration is to always be moving. And don't go towards any red question mark indicator out in the taint because it's either a taintacle (which will kill you), a spore swarmer (which will spawn those swarms that will chase you forever and kill you), or a taint spore (which will explode into tiny spiders).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Get more random bags through the Black Market. Dump all that useless prometheum until the market peaks to gain a significant stash of reward bags and spawn eggs, then further block investment forever afterward will get you a sapling bag. Haven't tried the other three yet; haven't really been mining in those areas.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nope, I'm still enjoying any environmental effect that isn't as harsh as vanilla Minecraft rain.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Clairetic posted:

The needle gun from MFR is a kinda tech-y feeling weapon.
'
That's what the corrupted scouts use on you :D

It's a terrifying sound to hear when out in the taint, particularly when you can't see where they're firing from.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Really wish that Xenologist ended up making a discovery using all the scraps of cloth independent of the translations instead of further mission success points. It would have been neat to tie it all together.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

SugarAddict posted:

I went through the nether wood route from lucky sapling bags. Ghost wood -> Dark Wood -> fuse wood -> blood wood, you should be able to mine all the basic materials including gold.

But it's VERY expensive to make casts out of gold, You are supposed to use aluminum brass for that. Aluminum brass is 3 aluminum 1 copper.

Not really, considering gold is as plentiful as the Vanilla distribution. Things are a bit difficult if you're tooling around in caverns covered in taint but as soon as you've cleared out an area it should be fairly easy to find a lot of gold just hanging out in the lower depths. Whereas copper is stupid rare to the point where I'd only use maybe the first ore for the casts and have gold do the rest.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

And then you steal them for an easy 9 diamonds. And the obsidian totems along one of the stairs to make your osmotic enchanter.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I've only noticed hostile non-thaum mobs spawning near my massively cleared out area back when I had a silverwood grow with a pure node and started changing the biome. Only around it would the usual Vanilla guys appear and as soon as I lit the tree up they stopped appearing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That's when you net 'em and start spawning them for your own gains, using xp essence grinded off of Cursed Earth or Thaumcraft necromancy.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Get yourself some ranged attacks and the village guards won't gut you so quickly while you're pilfering their farmland.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I did it guys, I cleared 20%+ of the Savannah! Level 5 Purity (4 Frugal, 1 Enlarge) on top of a 50 vis wand. Frequent trips were made back to the CV setup while a dawn totem was clearing up the Savannah plateau. One village has been purged entirely except for the liquid flux because gently caress clearing that up right now. There's now an open path from the Redwood City waypoint to Dome Beta.

I need a better wand. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

it's really too bad thaumic tinkerer got removed from some of my preferred modpacks due to it having the grey goo essentia fires, the funnel and the repair machine are very good

(do not use the essential fires)

Use the essentia fires if you want an even worse Blightfall. :unsmigghh:

VegasShirtGuy posted:

You might just need more candles. Someone posted earlier something about like 250 or so candles to have no instability.

Correct, as each balanced stabilizer prevents 0.1 instability. Infusion can start with 0 instability up to 10 and then steadily increases up to a maximum of 25 while it is running.
Beware though; if a stabilizer is not balanced across both axes, it adds more instability.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 25, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

From the wiki

quote:

Instability is the main hazard to infusion. Most often it merely disrupts the process, but it can also damage the player, and extreme cases can even produce explosions.

Each recipe has a "starting" instability, which has an internal numeric value but is shown as a category: "Negligible" corresponds to an instability value of 0 or 1, "Minor" to 2 or 3, "Moderate" to 4 or 5, "High" to 6 or 7, "Very High" to 8 or 9, "Dangerous" to 10 or more. To this is added a penalty for any failures of symmetry, then a bonus is subtracted for any properly-placed stabilizer items. An unmatched item adds 1 to the instability (and some recipes require an unmatched item), an unmatched pedestal adds 2, and these do combine. It takes 10 properly-matched stabilizer items to counter 1 point of instability. Stabilizers can reduce the starting instability below zero, which can help counter later increases.

Instability grows randomly over the course of an infusion. The chance of increase depends only on the recipe instability, so stabilizers will not slow or prevent this increase, only reduce the total. (On the other hand, neither does the growth "feed on itself".) However, the chance to increase is checked each time a point of essentia, level, or item is consumed, so recipes which cost a lot have more opportunity to increase. The chance is 1 in (50 - recipeInstability×2), each increase is 1 point. Note that doing Infusion Enchantment or Runic Enhancement on an item which is already enchanted or enhanced increases the cost, and thus the overall increase. Also, any problems which delay the infusion (items are missing when they're needed, running out of essentia, or discovering belatedly that an item is "imperfect") will make things worse the longer they remain unfixed. Instability never goes down -- if things are getting really out of hand, abort the infusion (by removing the central item) and start over. (With more candles!)

For each game tick of the ritual, there is an (instability/500) chance of something bad happening: Flux lightning, knocking an item off its pedestal, producing flux, melting an item into flux, tainting the player, or in extreme cases, an explosion. The total instability is capped at 25, which would average 1 incident per second.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

There's at least 30 barrels in the fuel storage so that isn't as big an issue.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's not in the reactor itself (and actually the reactor on the ship is inert!), there's a bit of an easter egg on the ship if you don't mind mining your way through a door.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Less dense Points of Interest but the map is handcrafted. There's a greater goal focus with the HQM quest system in place but the early game can be brutal if you aren't used to modded minecraft. Once you're on your feet the focus is heavily on Thaumcraft to ease you into the other magic/tech systems. And then it's basically you're at the mercy of your own mind of what to do next.

I like going on cleaning/killing sprees into the mostly crusted over jungle. :getin:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

There goes my plan of finding all the varieties of single primal nodes with 90+ and making a vis relay network focused on a thaumcraft table. :sigh:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Really frustrated with the biome scanner. I've literally scoured the Mushroom Island biome of any blight, scanned and didn't make gold. So I dove into the water and scoured the island outline and got rid of the Sinister node that surprisingly was hiding a tainted node under it's radius. Scan still is unforgiving. PEERED CLOSELY AT THE EYE SEARING PIXELS TRYING TO FIND OFF-COLOURS, scoured the island outline even further. Mushroom Island icon now slowly blinks but no medal is forthcoming.

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME, BIOME SCANNER!?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

gently caress you, blight. I got my badge. And a place to hunt normal hostile mobs. Now I'm going to retire from cleaning for a bit while I stock up my vertical farm with golems and things.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

EE schemes tend to dominate modpacks however. It solves too many problems that it becomes your first choice on production of most items. That's not to say it isn't fun when it is the central core but if you want exploring different tech/magic choices then it's best to leave it out.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Excuse you, he's taking a shower and you barged in on him. You should be ashamed.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Optimal setups are going to be glider guns shooting directly at the flower. This is neat, Botania remains awesome.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Shame. Well then, I guess a bunch of 2x2 square patches at the corners of the 3x3 kill zone are going to be optimal. Every other step it's going to generate a stable shape and the three that remain will stay live until the 60th step, giving increased mana as time steps forward.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

8th of a pool, that's pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

For efficiency's sake you could leave out furthest-most corners of each square. Executing a step would fill those corners in and then they'd be destroyed anyway according to your second diagram.