Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

So hey, I'm having a bitch and a half of a time getting OPIS to work on my server. Apparently MobiusCore just doesn't wanna work with all the mods I have. I already have Clearlag, but it only helps to show what chunks are lagging the server, which isn't helpful when the chunk happens to contain a giant tower of stuff that could be the problem. Is there anything else out there that has the sort of organisation of OPIS, where it shows me exactly which blocks are causing lag, as well as info on entities and other interesting things? I don't need a map or anything fancy, I just want it to work for 1.7.10, and for all the modded crap I have.

EDIT: Also, what's the recommended map renderer for when I wanna show people what my overworld currently looks like?

There's Sampler (linked in the FastCraft section under "Extra tweaks/tips, Sampler 1.58") which works best when both the client and server have the mod. Similar to Opis, but not as good.

Did you use the MobiusCore-1.2.5-KC3.jar that StealthArcher posted in your Disasterpiece Theater thread? I've used an older Opis/MobiusCore on the Modderation: Permabanned/FYAD servers and while I eventually time out when using Opis, I can get some data out of it. It works best when you have a less latent and faster connection (e.g. LAN instead of WAN) to the server.

For server maps, I believe almost everyone uses Dynmap for Forge. I have it directly host the servers from the Minecraft server itself, but you can also use nginx/apache/whatever to host the files elsewhere as long as you can sync the web data.

EDIT: Also CoFH has commands that can help track down issues, such as cofh tps to see what dimensions (say if you're using Mystcraft or RFTools) are using up the most ticks.

I have some notes I posted for Modderation (and NST before that) which can help your server and your players, if you want. The Java flags seem to help my clients and servers, but I never did gather any formal metrics to prove it. ;) Don't give your Java instance (server or client) too much memory as then Java's Garbage Collection (GC) just has more work to do, more often, which causes latency spikes. More memory on your server itself is good for file caching. Having drives with fast write IOP/s is good, especially when generating chunks; Minecraft loves to write data. Often.

lolmer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

I tried messing with the config last night. In all honesty, we're likely going to remove it from the server. I probably didn't dial back the features enough, but it had been running our server at ~300% CPU for the last couple of days, and the moment we turned it off, the CPU load went down to ~80% and the lag was gone. We already have Voxelmap for local mapviewing, we just wanted something to provide us with a periodically updated render for people to see how the server has changed over the last month.

Once Dynmap has rendered the world, I haven't noticed it eat a lot of CPU or disk I/O when keeping up with the usual world interactions. If/when someone goes and explores many chunks, that will lead to a few small spikes, but not for long.

Dynmap: Configuration wiki has some good documentation, e.g.

quote:

# How often a tile gets rendered (in seconds).
renderinterval: 1

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hey lolmer. You can't accept PMs so I couldn't ask you offline for Dad Bar dialog stuff. It's a good place to plug things for new people. I mentioned OMP in StealthArcher's dialog, and I was going to mention EZNuke and ComputerCraft in yours, but it sounds like you have something else cooking. I was going to avoid mentioning specific servers addresses, but somewhere I was going to mention goons having servers for themselves.

Hey Rocko,

I'm not a Premium Goon, sorry. :) My Lolmer's EZ-Nuke scripts are what I've mostly worked on, plus helping out mechaet with the Modderation: Permabanned/FYAD configs and issues in GitHub. The only servers I run is for my immediate family and not accessible outside of my network; for public servers I use other peoples' (such as mechaet's). I don't currently have any other projects in the works.

I think the names of servers should make them findable in Technic or on these forums for those with access and addresses themselves not needed, though I believe that chat text can be made linkable if you want to go to that effort.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

My daughters (7y & 4y) love this one, along with all of the Yogscast videos. :)

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

CrazyTolradi posted:

Didn't Magical Crops screw over all vanilla crops already in world with its new rewrite? I seem to remember that being a thing for some reason. If so, does it still do this?

That's why we didn't upgrade to it, besides it not even being on-par feature-wise with the current "beta". The new version also invalidates all existing vanilla seeds that are in your world, for ~reasons~.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Fruit Chewy posted:

So are there any decent 1.8 packs that don't require the technic launcher? Technic doesn't draw right in any GNOME environment it seems which is just super rad. It's almost enough to make me want to write a CLI utility to download their packs if that's even possible.

Might be an issue with your setup. Technic Launcher works fine on Cinnamon (a GNOME fork for Linux Mint) on all of my computers.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Macaluso posted:

So I got a computer that can handle graphical mods now, what is the best way to get a look like The Witness but in minecraft with the bloom and the shadows and pretty water and such. Texture pack I'd probably just go Sphax. Also I have not played Minecraft in literally years

You can use the instructions ("Installation section") from Sildur's Shaders. There's also Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders (SEUS), which are very popular, but I couldn't get working on my machines. Granted, I then moved on to Sildur's and got his working, so I may have just done something stupid on the SEUS ones that I did correctly on Sildur's. :) Certainly makes the world look beautiful and alive.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

ImpactVector posted:

So is OMP-i still the kitchen sink pack of choice? Or is there something newer people are playing?

I think I may have gotten the itch again, and after Blightfall I think I just want to play around instead of follow a quest book.

There's also Modderation: Permabanned by mechaet, which has a queued update to be released pending time off from RL. :)

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It sure does demand a lot of power, and it's pretty unrealistic to expect a player to encase such a volume in pylons. The big, demo reactor I set up in the tutorial dimension could power something like that very quickly, and even more so if I do something more realistic like 64x16x32, but I recall the power needs got crazy if you, say, just layed out the three axes in three lines and called it a job well done. I don't know what that number is though and whether it's realistic. I just have to get off my butt, lay it out, and guess from there. I guess if it's normally unrealistic, I can give the player a few full dense energy cells as a reward to a pre-requisite quest. I have to give the player the spatial drive too, for example.

But yeah, half the problem is figuring out what blocks are valid to beam up.

If you're willing to have the player "teleport" to the ship (Spatial AE dimension), then you can build up the dimension with any mod blocks. The block whitelist is only for storing/returning the contents of a Spatial AE Storage Cell and does not apply to what you put into the Spatial AE space yourself.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Bluemillion posted:

Actually, yeah, crossbows are the big problem here. Other than that, TiCon is a fun mod with some neat mechanics, like smelteries, and the individual parts that tools are made of. Or putting 90 pistons on a battle axe and knocking zombies into the next zip code. :black101:

I mostly enjoy the customization of the tools, how everyone can have similar, yet different, pickaxes and other tools, and choosing your own upgrades/enchantments (before I learned of Botania's Enchanter, Thaumic Tinkerer's Osmotic Enchanter, Enchanting Plus, and others), though TiC requires less build-up, IMO, than the magical or technological methods mentioned.

lolmer fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 15, 2016

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hay Taffer, I have the solution to your power generation needs! Make everybody use TNT generators:

I'm making it an end-level quest in BFSR, so lolmer, someday you are probably going to want to kill your kids if they play with speakers. Just about everything in that picture makes noise!

You're making my peaceful life hurt. :'( Though the Nether is still an enjoyable memory; my children still like going there and exploring, even after that scary first run.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

khy posted:

There used to be, a while ago, a good installation guide to get HD textures + custom shaders and poo poo installed. I liked it, but I can't find it anymore. I do remember it had fog for rainstorms, the ground would become slick, trees would sway (And sway harder during a storm), overhauled lighting, etc.

Is there a good guide for that currently available? The OP is somewhat lacking in graphics overhaul stuff.

I just follow the directions in the Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders (which uses Shaders Mod (updated by karyonix) thread) (for Minecraft 1.8.9 the Shaders Mod is included in OptiFine), get a resource pack that supports shaders, such as Chroma Hills and then toss a more fully fleshed Texture Pack on top, such as Soartex to make the non-vanilla items prettier, but doesn't support shaders (e.g. so no waving trees from Forestry ;)).

I ended up using Sildur's shaders as Sonic's would never load for me.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Scoss posted:

I haven't played Minecraft nearly since it came out and the whole mod scene for the game is bewildering and intimidating.

One of the big things I always wished the game had was more rewarding exploration and character progression, more like a traditional RPG. I suppose my ideal Minecraft mod would be something that adds class or skill based RPG mechanics to the game and maybe fleshes out the bestiary a bit to support that kind of vertical progression or spice up the loot.

Are there any particular mods I should look at? The game is so goddamn big at this point I figure there must have been someone that made a good RPG mod at this point. I've poked around some of the mod sites but most of the game's mods seem to be dedicated to turning it into factorio, and the RPG ones I did find seemed a little questionable.

• Ars Magica adds a "leveling system" to magic and you get to craft your own custom spells.
  • My brother does Zelda Sword Skills which adds some RPG-like combat skills.
  • Twilight Forest adds more tiered mobs with escalating rewards.
  • I've never played it, but there's a Divine RPG mod that seems to do exactly what you're asking for.
  • A whole category over at CurseForge for Adventure RPG mods for Minecraft. :)

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Black Pants posted:

Speaking of, Ars Magica 2 seems to have a bad reputation with people for reasons I am not privy to. Just a lot of people really glad it's not included in certain packs I've seen. Does anyone happen to know why that is?

Also, Twilight Forest is a crazy self-contained adventure mod that is about the only one-stop solution to what you want, and Blightfall is an interesting challenge pack. But uh.. way too much for someone who hasn't played modded Minecraft before, as is the case with most others of its ilk.

Also Factorio is an imitation of what Minecraft has been for years, not the other way around. :colbert:

Ars Magica is still being worked on as of February this year and even had a new release in February. For the most part it had a few serious bugs (e.g. Dispel enchant on armour would cause you to crash whenever you log in or Disarm would cause a CTD whenever cast on a player), but most of those are fixed.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

My most recent pack died, apparently some ender IO didnt get along with some AE2 and im too lazy to figure it out.

So im doing an new BFSR.

So far ive died by falling into lava at least twice. Is there something about this pack that make pools of lava so hard to see?
I admit the first one was my fault, A single block of lava was hidden in some gravel and i wasnt paying attention, but a few others, i swear im getting scared to explore on foot now.

And another question, i often see images of minecraft with super awesome looking graphics, how do i get that?
(ive downloaded a few but cant seem to get them to work. Is there something special i need to do with them? somewhere int he mod pack files?)

I just follow the directions in the Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders (which uses Shaders Mod (updated by karyonix) thread) (for Minecraft 1.8.9 the Shaders Mod is included in OptiFine), get a resource pack that supports shaders, such as Chroma Hills and then toss a more fully fleshed Texture Pack on top, such as Soartex to make the non-vanilla items prettier, but doesn't support shaders (e.g. so no waving trees from Forestry ;)).

I ended up using Sildur's shaders as Sonic's would never load for me.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

VegasShirtGuy posted:

Are there any bees that actually produce something worth the effort of breeding them? Every time I look into bees (most recently in regrowth) it seems like they don't produce anything special and are just a more complicated way to get basic supplies like ender pearls or blaze rods. The only special ones I found produced items that were just used for making different frames for bee breeding. If there was a bee that gave me ardite or cobalt I'd go for that since right now finding enough in regrowth's nether to make the seeds is a pain. I've been hammering around for quite a while and only found 5 cobalt and 4 ardite, and I need 9 of each to make the seeds.

You want the Metallic Branch from Magic Bees. ;) You can even go straight to Manyullyn.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

ImpactVector posted:

Maybe there's a better way to do it, but if you don't mind using a channel per item you can use a storage bus instead of an export. Then you stick a void upgrade on your JABBA barrel and anytime more of that item enters the network it goes to the barrel and gets voided if you're over capacity.

When setting this up you'll want to export everything currently in the network into the barrel and possibly also set the priority of the storage bus higher than your drive (I usually set my drives to negative numbers).

e: The way I usually set things up is once I have over about 1-2k of an item I move it to the barrel system described above. Anything with less goes in the drives filled with 4k storage.

You just need one-channel for the storage sub-network to all of your JABBA barrels (or Deep Storage Units, or Strongboxes, or Storage Drawers, or ...) with modifications hidden from AE (e.g. Voided JABBA barrels). Set the storage bus to this sub-network as highest priority to shift items that fit here, first, else they go to another AE storage.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Fayk posted:

Wait, what? I haven't used AE since AE1 (until the other day, with Regrowth) and I was kinda caught off-guard by all the channel/bandwidth.etc limits.

So say I have 30 JAbba barrels. In AE1, I would just slap a Storage Bus on each one, and wire them all together, I assumed I basically needed to feed all those into one dense cable (Which handles 32 connections I guess?) and then plug that into an open side of the ME Controller.

Are you saying there's some way to route them to some in-between thing so it just looks like a single inventory/only a single connection on a channel downstream?

You can daisy-chain as many sub-networks as you want so that only one channel is consumed from the "parent" network for any number of devices down the chain, making ME Controllers unnecessary if you want to do that much work, or at least reducing the size of required ME Controllers. This works best for storage or self-contained crafting (e.g. auto-refinery) as Patterns/Recipes in the sub-network are /not/ available to the parent, and vice versa.

For the Storage Drawer Controller, this makes the point moot for your initial set-up, but once you expand beyond the capacity of one Storage Drawer Controller, or if you want to add other storage devices (e.g. MineFactory Reloaded's Deep Storage Unit), then a sub-network is what you'll want.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've looked over all these responses to my questions about retrievers. I had this voice in my head nagging me about using retrievers in those situations. My issue is that it uses an eye of ender to make two of them. That's pretty serious business early on in things. So I wanted a very clear cut context for using that over a servo/filter combination.

What makes me embarrassed is some pages ago, I think somebody did lay out a very clever use for one. I think it came up when I was working on the TNT autocrafting setup. I can't remember the details about it. I think it came up when it came to balancing gunpowder and sand going into autocrafting. However, I lucked out with the cyclic assembler because I only needed two ingredients, and I was able to split its internal inventory between the gunpowder and sand.

Yes, Retrievers are great for keeping X quantity of items in the destination chest (e.g. 20 Sand and 25 Gunpowder) without filling an inventory as much as you can (which a Servo/Filter combination will do). Great for keeping specific seeds in MFR Planters as well if you don't want to do the pre-fill with one 64x stack of each seed you want and then fill the remaining slots with filler (e.g. Dirt).

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Taffer posted:

I suppose it's possible, I'm not sure how far apart it ends up spacing the cells. I think it's a few hundred blocks so you'd have to work for it.

Each Spatial Cell is its own Minecraft dimension (e.g. mine is DIM42 and yours is DIM43). AFAIK you cannot "bleed" into each others dimensions.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Khorne posted:

1.8 is going to be skipped for 1.9, because updating from 1.8->1.9 is trivial but 1.7 -> later is much less trivial.

Extreme 1.9 Mega Pack seems decent enough. I added the following to it:

I don't recall if OptiFine worked or not as they just updated the other day and Technic wipes added mods.

EDIT: Nope, OptiFine 1.9.2_HD_U_B2 is a no-go; crashes on start-up.

lolmer fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 7, 2016

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

I got the at launcher and divergence pack but it's giving me this message

you are running java 8 and need to use the JVM argument '-XX:+UseG1GC' or you will suffer memory allocation-related crashes blah blah blah...

WTF does this mean?

Apparently the newer garbage collection in Java reduces latency, but none of them should be producing "memory allocation-related crashes" any more than the other. You can see G1 vs CMS vs Parallel GC for the differences.

quote:

First stop – Parallel GC (-XX:+UseParallelOldGC). Out of the 30 minutes the tests took to complete, we spent close to 21 seconds in GC pauses with the parallel collector. And the longest pause took 721 milliseconds. So let us take this as the baseline: GC cycles reduced the throughput by 1.1% of the total runtime. And the worst-case latency was 721ms.

Next contestant: CMS (-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC). Again, 30 minutes of tests out of which we lost a bit less than 19 seconds to GC. Throughput-wise this is roughly in the same neighbourhood as the parallel mode. Latency on the other hand has been improved significantly – the worst-case latency is reduced more than 10 times! We are now facing just 64ms as the maximum pause time from the GC.

Last experiment used the newest and shiniest GC algorithm available – G1 (-XX:+UseG1GC). The very same tests were run and throughput-wise we saw results suffering severely. This time our application spent more than a minute waiting for the GC to complete. Comparing this to the just 1% of the overhead with CMS, we are now facing close to 3.5% effect on the throughput. But if you really do not care about throughput and want to squeeze out the last bit from the latency then – we have improved around 20% comparing to the already-good CMS – using G1 saw the longest GC pause only taking 50ms.

For more technical details, Getting Started with the G1 Garbage Collector and Oracle® Communications WebRTC Session Controller System Administrator's Guide
Release 7.0
, both from Oracle.

quote:

Recommended Use Cases for G1

The first focus of G1 is to provide a solution for users running applications that require large heaps with limited GC latency. This means heap sizes of around 6GB or larger, and stable and predictable pause time below 0.5 seconds.

Applications running today with either the CMS or the ParallelOldGC garbage collector would benefit switching to G1 if the application has one or more of the following traits.
  • Full GC durations are too long or too frequent.
  • The rate of object allocation rate or promotion varies significantly.
  • Undesired long garbage collection or compaction pauses (longer than 0.5 to 1 second)
Note: If you are using CMS or ParallelOldGC and your application is not experiencing long garbage collection pauses, it is fine to stay with your current collector. Changing to the G1 collector is not a requirement for using the latest JDK.

lolmer fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 21, 2016

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

SugarAddict posted:

If she starts a "goFundMe" or something like that, I'm sure there will be plenty of people willing to help.

You mean like JadedCat's Patreon? :)

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

mensrea posted:

The only way to preserve the energy packs is to R and swap in a fresh one before it's burned out. I'd like to do it differently but that's a limitation of the gun mod. I don't make the armor mod, but that doesn't seem like a bad idea. Maybe a warning when it's halfway? I'll talk to my buddy and see if he can do it. It's too easy to lose track of that in combat. I will gladly add inventory tweaks to the pack, as well. The NEI thing was a result of me trying to setup a keyboard layout that doesn't have a million overlapping keys. Technic doesn't let me include the keymappings in it so that didn't work out. The NEI stuff is a legacy of that, and I will change it.

You might like Default Options to fix that keybinding issue.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Ambaire posted:

This is a bit of an odd request, but does anyone know if it's possible to use symlinks to direct all the resource pack directories in all the modpacks I have installed to one central resource pack file? Fanver Modded Universal is nearly 300 MB and the 10+ copies I have around are eating up a not quite unsignificant amount of space. Would be nice to have that be only 1 copy.

Yep, this is what I do. One "master" resourcepack for each version of Minecraft and then the relevant modpacks have their "resourcepacks" as a symlink to the correctly versioned master folder.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Mr Scumbag posted:

So how's the future of modded Minecraft looking right now? It seems like the smart thing for Microsoft to do would be to keep on with their new builds in one way, but it would alienate a huge fanbase in the other. Are we going to keep getting Java builds, and if we are will they make it easier to mod?

Say, what the gently caress is going on with that API, by the way?

Edit: I say this because I will never, ever again play a modpack that contains AE2 and I'm really hoping for someone who isn't a "MY VISION" piece of poo poo to come up with a decent and non "gently caress the player" item management system.

You might like Refined Storage as it's kept up-to-date with Minecraft 1.9 and 1.10 releases.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Ambaire posted:

That Mekanism POWER dimension I posted about doesn't load on server start and only loads when a player visits it for the first time after a server restart. I tried the personal map auto chunk loading and an MFR chunkloader and Neogeo0823 tried placing an admin anchor in the dimension but none of it worked.

Any ideas?

Railcraft Admin and World Anchors, but not Personal Anchors (obviously), would load dimensions on server load in AE2 Spatial Cells and RFTools dimensions, per my experience on Modderation: Permabanned & FYAD. MFR Chunkloaders do not load themselves until a player loads them. Everyone should use an Activity Probe in their RFTools dimensions unless they want them always loaded (and eating server resources). That being said, the Activity Probe will conflict with Admin/World anchors and other auto-loading mechanisms.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

Quoting this again to say that we got Akliz involved, and after doing some tests, this is what they came back with: "It looks like the increased usage is from Applied Energistics finding matching recipes. Attached is a screenshot of the trace. Do you know if someone has set something up relating to that? Perhaps try disabling it?"

They didn't attach a screenshot. :/

Has anyone else seen this before? I googled around and didn't see anything specific about it aside from a bit about storage drawers causing lag when attached to ME networks.

EDIT: I found two bugs that seem relevant. Molecular Assemblers cause lag and parts of the ME system that have crafting cards also cause lag. Some further googling turned up that sometimes, attaching an ME network to storage drawers can cause problems.

That sounds like there are two or more Patterns in AE defining how to make an item, possibly disagreeing on how to make it (where the input goes and output comes out). Often occurs with Quantum Network Bridges (QNB) and people connecting fully (so Patterns are shared across the networks) instead of as a sub-network (where only the resources are shared, not Patterns).

Try disconnecting each QNB until the lag goes away (may take a bit of time to clear after each QNB is removed) until you find the culprit, or just convert all QNB connections into sub-network-only connections. I was talking to Datasmurf a bit about this on IRC as well and it may be causing your AE network resets.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Sage Grimm posted:

Alchemy golem is slow and sometimes you want to not rely on entities that fall through floors as has happened a couple times when chunks are loaded back when I did this in Blightfall a couple years ago.

I believe that only occurred if your floor was only one block thick and/or your room crossed chunk boundaries and they'd fall through the unloaded floor. I've never seen this happen myself, but I have heard of others having it happen on the same server I was on. Usually they had a thin floor with a room below, but that's anecdotal.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

SugarAddict posted:

Because it has a whole bunch of horrible crashing bugs, a bunch of annoying bugs, and a few world ending ones. Some of the crashing bugs is you can do in 2 seconds with two mana batteries and a crystal wrench. Also mana batteries and nexuse lose all their bindings and energy when the chunk gets unloaded.

Also the repeated crashing bug happens when you connect mana batteries in a loop, why it would crash I don't know.

Many of the bugs people are used to have been fixed or can be avoided. :) Bugs? Welcome to modded Minecraft. Ars Magica 2 is a very fun mod and still being worked on, though no updates for Minecraft 1.8+ yet.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

SugarAddict posted:

Maybe Ars Magica 2 in Banished just needs to be updated or something? I know a few of these bugs caused Ars Magica 2 to be straight up removed and never looked at again on a few servers I used to play on.

Yeah, AM2 had an un-updated stable release for a long time and the 1.7.10 release is still considered "beta". The initial release for 1.7.10 was a one-time release with no updates until someone else started helping out last year. Most modpacks just removed AM2 instead of disabling (Shrink, Dispel, etc.)/dealing with the bugs.

SugarAddict posted:

You only need one mining power. After that you have the power to mine everything, but it drains mana on the hardness of the block, this means mazestone in the twilight forest is mineable but mining a single block will instantly drain all your mana.

You have to increase mining power to get past the mining tiers (default Dig is Iron tier).

http://am2.wikia.com/wiki/Spells posted:

Dig

The ground shatters with a snap of your fingers. Harder blocks take more mana to break. Diminished is the equivalent of a stone pickaxe, normal is an iron and augmented is a diamond pick.

http://ftb.gamepedia.com/Dig has a bit more information.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Noper Q posted:

I installed Forge 1.10.2 (the recommended version), and Minecraft was set to use the most recent version, so that should be fine. I tried manually setting it to 1.10.2, but that didn't help.

I even tried the Standard Computer Ritual (turn it off and on again); no dice.

I thought I saw in a video somewhere that there should be something about your Forge version on the Minecraft title screen, but I'm not seeing that. Is that a thing?

By the way, thanks to everyone who's trying to help me.

These instructions only work for Windows or OS X, as Curse Voice is not released for Linux (unless you want to use WINE, in that case you should know what you're doing already ;)).
  1. Download and install the latest java runtime (JRE) 8
  2. Download and install Curse Voice
  3. Run Curse Voice, select the Minecraft tab on the left
  4. Select "Create Custom Profile" on the top right
  5. Give it a name, like "Noper's Modded Minecraft 1.10.2"
  6. Select Minecraft Version, such as "1.10.2"
  7. Select Modloader, preferably the latest stable Forge Mod Loader, "forge-12.18.1.2011" (note that some mods, e.g. Botania Unofficial and ArmorPlus, have already updated to newer, incompatible Forge versions so you may need to use a prior version; they'll warn you when you start Minecraft that you have too old of a ModLoader)
  8. Press "Okay"
  9. Open (do not press "Play") "Noper's Modded Minecraft 1.10.2"
  10. Click on "Get Mods", once you've installed mods use the "Get More Content" button on the top-right. Mods will install their dependencies for you in the Curse Voice client, which is why it's so easy.
    • Search for the mod(s) you want (e.g. "Psi" shows one by Vazkii being "Psionic Spellcasting Instruments" for Game Version: 1.10.2), you may need to press "Refresh" if the search doesn't change what's displayed.
    • An easy way, and selected by default, is to go through the list as-is, which is sorted by Featured mods. You can also sort by Popularity or filter certain categories (e.g. Magic or Technology).
  11. If you want to change your Forge version, or select Preferred Release Type of software (I recommend "Release"), click the ellipses "..." at the top-right and select "Profile Options".
    • I recommend unselecting "Use System Setting" for "Memory Settings" and upping it to at least 4G, but not much higher, if your computer can handle it and you're installing lots of mods.
    • Note that "Current Modloader Versions" always refreshes to the latest version, not just Recommended/stable releases, every time you open this window. Make sure the right version (12.18.1.2011 unless you know otherwise) is selected before pressing "Okay", or just press "Cancel" if you're not making any changes.
  12. You may now go back to the Minecraft tab in Curse Voice and press "Play", which will launch the Minecraft launcher configured for your modpack.
  13. If you click your modpack instead of "Play" from the Minecraft home tab, Curse will check for updates and then inform you with a little grey down arrow to the right of each mod that an update is available for download. Once you have a working modpack, I recommend reading the ChangeLog of each updated mod before updating. ;)

lolmer fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 11, 2016

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Black Pants posted:

Just wait until you have to solve potion and enchantment ID conflicts. :getin:

Wait, that's not an issue with 1.8+ is it?

I haven't run into that issue since 1.8, no. There are issues adding/removing mods after a world is created, but every modded game (e.g. Skyrim :)) has that issue.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Ambaire posted:

I decided to try out a 1.10.2 modpack since 1.7.10 is getting a bit old and holy poo poo this auto jump for 1 high blocks is AMAZING. It doesn't even use any extra hunger either.

I'm working my way up the Mekanism tech tree and I noticed that the heat generator says it can output up to 120 RF/t but is only doing about 29.97. I tried putting some lava around it but they only increased its output by around 1.2 each. Any ideas?

e. I'm using the 'All the Mods' modpack on Curse.
Also, what am I supposed to use for removing machines / mek cables? Pickaxing them just feels wrong but none of the wrenches in the pack work for removing them and pickaxing mekanism cables takes forever... normally I just use a thermal expansion wrench for everything but it's not in 1.10.2 yet I guess. I tried a mek configurator on wrench mode but it just rotates the machines.

e2. Figured it out. If you have a shield equipped, it prevents you from using the configurator to remove Mekanism machines and cables. Now that's really dumb.

Also note that Tinker's Construct weapons (e.g. Longsword) with right-click ability prohibit the use of your shield.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

What's a good mod for 1.7.10 for making large doors and the like? We have Malisis Doors, which has vanishing frames, but I'm looking for other options. I read that Funky Locomotion causes crashes in 1.7.10, and we got rid of Immersive Integration, which had that drawbridge thing. Is there anything else out there that's server friendly?

Tinker's Mechworks has drawbridges, which can be used to make sliding doors, that I've used on Modderation: Permabanned and FYAD and not noticed issues.

RFTools has shields that you can use to make retractable doors/drawbridges, which I've seen IronClaymore do on the above mentioned server as well.

Carpenter's Blocks has garage doors which may be made to varying sizes, I do not know the size limit.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There are a few things I kept in from the pack I butchered. I'm assuming the Ruins mod is adding crazy dungeons now, or is that something else? I've seen it before. There is some various structure on the surface that descends into a very common dungeon layout that stems out in four directions from a common pillar. I've found the dungeon stuff to be really weak; the loot is especially bad. However, it's become my new favorite place to set up a base. I tend to just plug up the dungeon, wall off the surface structure, and then descend when I need more room. A bit of bushwhacking, and I have myself a nice starting interior for an underground base.

That's Roguelike Dungeons and the loot may be week, but it's fun content and the loot can be a useful jumpstart for finding some resources (e.g. cocoa beans) if you're having trouble finding it's specific spawn area.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are any goons at this point assembling a 1.10.2, or did I stumble into this? I wasn't planning to release anything anytime soon.

I made one in Curse Voice for my family, but haven't shared it. Works decently, with a few hiccups and I haven't done any of the Vein Miner or Ore Spawn configurations, just left vanilla.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Ambaire posted:

Starfleet dental from guild wars 2 have a 1.10.2 server in PGS; seems to be functional but there's not many people playing right now. That could change...

I can't get the destruction catalyst to work in 1.10.2, it says 'stored emc = 0'. I have a klein star but it doesn't seem to want to draw emc from it. I also tried charging it with the tablet and an antimatter relay but neither one worked.

Project E isn't actually out for 1.10.2, you're using a 1.9.4 beta release (as am I). :) Gem armour is also uncraftable, as are anything past the most basic klein stars. Right-click abilities of tools/weapons also don't work.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Sistergodiva posted:

I am looking for a modpack that has realistic terrain gen. Something that is pretty balanced would be awesome, don't need a kitchen sink, but some stuff would be fun. Iguana tweaks and realistic terrain is like the only thing I really crave, because I like upgrading my tools.

Any modpack on a later version than what people usually use?

Note that Tinker's Construct for Minecraft 1.10 allows you to upgrade your tools by default. At least, I was able to upgrade the wooden pickaxe handle to bronze using the TiC Tool Forge.

Ambaire posted:

I just launched that 1.10.2 modpack in singleplayer test mode and I can craft klein star omegas and gem armor just fine.

Weird, mine doesn't show any recipe for the any Klein Star after Ein (the first). I have ProjectE 1.9.4-PE1.0.5B installed for Minecraft 1.10.2 and forge 12.18.1.2011 (latest stable). Default configs on every mod installed.

EDIT: Add reply to Ambaire

lolmer fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 23, 2016

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Ambaire posted:

Just because it doesn't show recipes doesn't mean they aren't craftable. My pack doesn't show recipes for anything after the first but they craft just fine.

For great justice! (it works ;)). I had been assuming that JEI presented complete and correct information on what was, or was not, craftable.

Do the special abilities work for you (e.g. right-click with a red matter pickaxe to veinmine ore)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Steelion posted:

So is there supposed to be something more to playing modded minecraft now that just starting curse, telling it to install a pack, hitting play, and then starting it from the actual minecraft launcher that pop up? Because that's what I did and I guess it's crashing whenever I try and start the game, but I can't find any error logs anywhere so who the gently caress knows.

That's pretty much what I do for custom packs I make with Curse. I do usually change the modpack (click the modpack, not "Play", then click the elipses (...) at the top-right and select Profile Options, unselect System Memory and give it 2-4G, depending on the size of the modpack (4G for kitchen-sink ones).