Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I've stumbled through a bit of Embers for MSB2, having never done it before. Here's what I figured out.
* Put an emitter on the copper cell for output. I haven't found a way to make one emitter power multiple devices, so I just pair the cell with whatever i am using that needs power at the moment.

To have multiple receivers receive energy from a single emitter in Embers, use a Beam Splitter (IIRC), which requires a single Dawnstone to make (again, IIRC). The Beam Splitter takes a single input and provides two outputs and you can daisy chain them to split as many times as you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, thread. I'm trying to remember the name of a newer tech mod. It wasn't magneticraft, but for the life of me, I can't remember much about it at all. I know it's not anything that was around in 1.10.2. I just remember it was mentioned a decent while back in the thread, and I read about it and went "Hmm, that seems interesting" and promptly forgot about it. I know that's really nothing to go on, but it's all I've got sadly.

So, uh, I guess I should ask "what hot new tech mods are out for 1.12"?

Nuclear Craft for power generation? (been around since 1.7.10 as well)
Immersive Railroading for large multi-block trains?

Can you give us a clue as to what it was even about? :) What was interesting about it?

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

For Multi MC can you install a different version of Forge?

For some reason MMC is only going up to 13.20.1.2513 and a mod pack i want is using a 14 version.

1.11.2 - 13.20.1.2513 is the latest Forge Mod Loader for Minecraft 1.11.2. The 14.x (e.g. 1.12.2 - 14.23.0.2515) is the latest Forge Mod Loader for Minecraft 1.12.2, so it's a different version of Minecraft, not just Forge Mod Loader. Your MultiMC is telling you what the latest version of Forge is for your current version of Minecraft you're using.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

There's no way, even with config editing, to make one-way conversions in EE/ProjectE, is there?
I'm going over this mystcraft+dungeon-focused modpack idea in my head and I got to thinking about including ProjectE in the form of noncraftable collectors you could get as ultimate loot. That then got me thinking about what if instead you could find items that turned into lump sums of EMC, which could be used to dupe any items you had (provided you met the cost). The problem is any method that would use these would also let you recycle any item with EMC.
A limited, one-way form of ProjectE that lets you "cash-in" these EMC treasure items but not recycle every other item could make for an interesting mechanic, and avoid the prevalent balance issues of ProjectE. It would be like a flat currency you could redeem, without being able to melt down anything at all into EMC.

As much as people seem to hate IC2, Industrial Craft 2 has that with the Replicator and UU-Matter. :)

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

D34THROW posted:

Aww, I liked Thaumcraft even if I didn't play it much. No comparable mod has sprung up and he hasn't released the source?

There's Wizardry (still early alpha) that's kind of a mix between Ars Magica 2 and Thaumcraft.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

KingLemming posted:

Just gonna drop this off here, for people who don't really follow the site:
http://teamcofh.com/posts/2017/10/26/what-if/

I'm trying to do one of these a week now, so if you're curious what is actually coming to TE once I get the artwork finished, go to the main page and read a couple of posts back. :)

That was a fun and informative read, thank you. :)

I'm looking forward to more Thermal Cultivation, perhaps some blocks from the ol' MineFactory Reloaded (hello Rancher and Harvester ;) )? I really miss Tesseracts for sending energy/items/fluid from long distances (e.g. my Nuclear Craft or Draconic Evolution reactors far away from my base) without having to chunkload all the chunks between for wires/cables.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

As an alternative, Immersive Engineering cables can transmit across unloaded chunks just fine. However, they cap out at 4096 RF/t per wire, so you'd probably need a lot of them operating in parallel to make it work, and obviously it wouldn't work cross-dimensionally.

That's awesome, thanks! I wasn't sure (and hadn't tested) if they'd work once connected and the intervening chunks were unloaded. Plus Immersive Engineering looks cool.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

KingLemming posted:

Yeah, I've given it a bit of thought and Cultivation will probably end up being crops (without super complexity) + bees (without the weapons-grade autism) + food and maybe some traditional farming-style blocks (new soils). I don't want it to be technical really, so that a pack with TF+TC can play pretty well alongside medieval-technology Minecraft. No RF or complex logistics.

So Planter+Harvester? Yeah that might be a TE thing, though the Insolator in my mind does a pretty fantastic job of that stuff already. The Rancher I'm literally discussing in chat right now since it's a question of how exactly it should be handled.

Tesseracts ehhh...I'm of two minds on right now. I want to make them more accessible and then tier the progression a bit, but then at the same time I also want to make a variant which is just blatant logistical triviality so everyone will shut the gently caress up about EnderIO forever.

Mmm...more bees. :) I like Forestry bees to just have fun, not for intentionally trying to get a specific product out of them. For that I use Mystical Agriculture or Project E. ;)

True, the Phytogenic Insolator(?) does most of what the Planter/Harvester/Fertilizer combo did, just not in-world, so that's fine. :) I think what I miss more is the Harvestor for chopping down huge trees quickly, or the Rancher/Chromosomething for breeding/slaughtering animals.

Have an Ultimate Tier Tesseract for your Ender IO end-game, then tier the rest as you see fit? I miss having our Goon Labs dimension where all the shared storage/power reside and then we just need Tesseracts to tap into this in Overworld.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

KingLemming posted:

That's true, although it grows things pretty darn fast on its own. There's not really a logical intersection with Agricraft sprinklers.

The Insolator can handle trees, you know. :) And I've added a "Monoculture" augment which allows it to retain the "seed" in the input slot, making logistics a bit easier.

I did not know that, sounds like most of MFR is already covered. :)

KingLemming posted:

As far as the Tesseract, yeah...the thing is that there's a point where it's just "amazing server utility" which is required for the sake of tickrate. And I get that. I just want to be wary of having it be so convenient that nobody ever does any local power generation ever.

Even with massive shared storage/power, most of the players built their own power/storage systems before tapping into the shared storage to learn the systems, or tapped into shared storage to skip something they consider tedious (because they've done it n number of times) and then built their own higher-end storage/power. Some just used the shared power/storage the whole time and Overworld appreciated the fewer power/storage systems tacking up ticks. ;)

tldr; Tesseracts are awesome and help larger servers, or servers with lots of dimension exploration (RFTools or GalactiCraft) remain sane

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

welp MSB2 broke again for me

i was working on the nuclearcraft quests, and i placed a nitrogen collector next to another collector block, and i guess they were trying to fill each other's internal tanks and it caused a crash to desktop

i figure "oh okay i can fix this" and load up the save in mcedit and delete the blocks

i do that and open the save again, and a bunch of the mod blocks have transformed into other blocks, in particular my giant rear end zetta industries battery is now a column of fence gates

is there any other way to edit a save other than mcedit? or do i need to restore from a backup that's missing 6 hours of work?

You might be hitting Nuclear Craft Issue #140, updating to Nuclear Craft 2.4 or newer should fix it. You can also use the Forge settings to remove erroring entities instead of editing the world (make a backup first ;)):
code:
    # Set this to true to remove any Entity that throws an error in its update method instead of closing the server and reporting a crash log. BE WARNED THIS COULD SCREW UP EVERYTHING USE SPARINGLY WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGES.
    B:removeErroringEntities=false

# Set this to true to remove any TileEntity that throws an error in its update method instead of closing the server and reporting a crash log. BE WARNED THIS COULD SCREW UP EVERYTHING USE SPARINGLY WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGES.
    B:removeErroringTileEntities=false

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Devor posted:

I was watching Deadpine sperg out with Nuclearcraft, but I don't see a pack that uses it that isn't Modern Skyblock. Anyone know one that uses it?

Both NST World of Exploration for Minecraft 1.11 and NST World of Color for Minecraft 1.12 have Nuclear Craft included.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Stupid question: is there a good/simple guide to installing shaders?

Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders [compatible with Minecraft 1.12.2 via OptiFine] and [1.6.4 - 1.12.2]Sildur's shaders [PC/MAC/INTEL] Enhanced Default v1.02 released! (January 20, 2018) both have simple instructions (Install OptiFine then copy your preferred shader ZIP to shaderpacks/ folder and select the shader in game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any recomendations on a modpack to play with the new Thaumcraft?

I've updated NST Frostburn and added Thaumcraft (TC6) to it for those who want. :)