Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!
Lipstick Apathy
He rewrote his mod so that it conflicts with forge in as many things as possible, after he dropped it.

I think there was a "better than forge" project, which would port the couple cool things his mod had to forge, but I think there's better alternatives out there for everything neat he actually did so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
Rotarycraft features machines that will progressively get faster, for an exponential curve of energy required, so there's always some gain to be had for building dumb amounts of power gen.

That said rotarycraft used to be useable if a bit spergy, but is now a pile of garbage due to the "progression" (read: grind) forced by the mod author, so I'd recommend against that. Instead, I wish more mods would adopt the "put 100x the amount of electricity this machine requires, and we'll give it 10x speed" mechanic. Especially the MFR bedrock mining laser drill thing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy

StealthArcher posted:

Somebody on the RR team is capable of affording either a dedi host with 64GB RAM, or made their own 64GB/Xeon machine and colocates it (probably the latter).

In short, they have way more money than I do, I couldn't possibly afford that.

E: Multiple teams can do this apparently. Wish I had that kind of money to throw away on servers :shrug:

E2: Yeah, there's no way they're not colocating, 64GB dedis for straight up hosted are in the near 1k/month range. gently caress sakes, that's like an apartment in cost. A server. Jesus Christ.

I host my minecraft (or other games) server on a VPS with the following: 20 cores of Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620, 94 gigs of ram. :getin: Knowing the right people in the right places is the best.

It's really nice when you can just throw more ram or cpu power at a problem. Especially in minecraft, where a lot of mods are written like absolute poo poo (Hi, reactorcraft).

Speaking of reactorcraft, I haven't built any reactors in over a year. Is there a max :spergin: reactor mod out yet, that actually works? I like big reactors on a server because you can actually build one without a mind blowing grind, but for some creative dicking about with nukular fission, I'd like something on the level of reactorcraft, but with less compatibility/performance bugs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
At this thread's suggestion, I decided to get OMP i. But there's no server download link on the page. Does that mean I should just conjure up my own?

vvv: I don't have the issue with minimized thing, but having to set up my own server is going to be a pain I bet.

Truga fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 20, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, cool, I kinda missed all that. I'll wait for a bit then. Can always host as lan on my own box.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
In OMP-i what's a black liquid you can't swim or drown in? I've found it twice now, and have no idea how to get rid of it, because you can't use a bucket on it. The only way seems to just cobblestone it in, but that's a lot of work.

vvv: Thanks!

e: It's galacticraft crude oil.

Truga fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 22, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy

30.5 Days posted:

Haha you would be WRONG, my friend! No one can accuse HQM's data format of being UNDER-engineered. No, HQM's format is binary, but as I learned while chasing this issue, it is extensively bit-packed.

This means that a Boolean (true/false) value doesn't occupy 8 bits as it does in memory, it occupies 1 bit. And it doesn't add padding to get realigned when it hits an 8bit value like old timey sub-byte data did, SO YOU CAN'T EVEN READ THE TEXT IN THE FILE WITH A HEX EDITOR BECAUSE NINETY PERCENT OF IT IS NOT BYTE ALIGNED.

:dogbutton:

What is this 1980 and we're trying to save bits to get more data on our punched tape?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
OMP i is really really cool. I'm having tons of fun with it.

Had some weird stuff going on though. I had a couple crashes while hosting the game as lan (too lazy to set up my own server), but then someone downloaded the thing and couldn't join. Said something about mod rejections.

I reinstalled the thing (saved options.txt and world), and now it works great and doesn't crash any more and everyone can join fine again. I think updating the modpack a bunch somehow broke it? It's was really odd cause we all had the same versions of everything, yet the two new people couldn't join.

Also, meat ingots are the best food.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
So... I had a bigreactor filled with the gelid cryo thing.

Now I added a turbine. Is the gelid cryo thing doing anything besides looking cool now?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy

TheresaJayne posted:

Provides 26,000 RF/T at a fuel usage of 0.06 MB/t @ 1830 RPM (1870 MB/t steam setting)

This seems an awfully low number to me. I'm getting 23k RF/t out of my enderium coil turbine at 900rpm at 18% power setting (82% inserted rods), with 16 total fuel rods (4 rods, 4 tall each), and only a 7x7x10 turbine.

I'd go for 1800rpm and get some 55k out of it, but I don't have enough cyanite yet for all those turbine paddles.

Also, haha efficiency, I'm swimming in uranium ore thanks to a single MFR laser drill :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

They may be using a different pack with a different power output multiplier. Also, I never really hit the books on Big Reactors, but my intuition is that the same methods for passive cooling are not what one would want for active cooling. So I am not so sure about that resonant ender when actively cooling.

I *think* OMP i might have a higher multiplier.

Also, I'm pretty sure the passive coolant doesn't do anything for active cooled reactors.

e: Also, I implemented a simple PID controller for turbines with OpenComputers. It regulates turbine speed via control rod insertion, rather than limiting steam intake. I tried to do it with energy stored (so as to not waste power), but the 1 million RF buffer turbine has is too low and response time for the turbine is like 30 seconds, so it just keeps alternating between 0 and 100%.

Is there any way to connect opencomputers to enderio? A couple of those 50 million cells should be plenty large enough buffer for PID to settle down easily.

edit 2: Is there any way to upgrade what top tier enderio conduits can handle? Can I edit a config, or will I have to drag 10 conduits around my base when I build my second turbine?

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 27, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
Huh, you're right. It's huge. Wonder why no guides ever mentioned that. (thanks for mentioning the simulator btw, I now know I need 3 turbines :v:

Either way, I'm using cryo gel, because I couldn't be bothered removing it after upgrading. I guess it was a good move after all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
I posted a screenshot of my reactor setup in my irc channel, and my bro asked "does the RPM wobble as the load on generator changes?" and I was like "nah, that's not how power in mincraft works, unforunately", but it got me thinking.

Unforunately, I can't set the load on coil per % like I can with control rods on the reactor, but I can turn it on/off 20 times per second. It's not huge, but it should be enough for a basic PWM and get a 1 second duty cycle in increments of 5%.

This means I can make the turbine spin at a constant 1800 RPM for maximum efficiency, and simply vary the amount of power produced by changing the duty cycle.

:swoon:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well, I stand corrected. I guess my intuition had it backwards. I would assume passive cooling would sink heat that could be used for steam.
Same.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I suspect your proportional gain is too large if your PID is oscillating.

Nah, the issue is, the turbine energy buffer goes full or empty in 5-10 seconds while RPM takes like a minute to ramp back up/spool down. It works, technically, but it's ugly. I don't think PID can do anything about this, because the buffer is too small for the long response time, I'd have to set manual restrictions on it depending on load, but then I lose the point of using a PID (me not having to maintain the reactor).

I did a better thing now though. I have the turbine at optimal RPM, and I'm not wasting any yellorium/RF. Here's how it works:

PID controls the RPM and keeps it as close to 1800 as possible by using control rods. Turbine runs a duty cycle that keeps it as close to 50% energy as possible.

If I add a load to the reactor, the turbine RPM starts dropping due to increased duty cycle, causing the control rods to retract, increasing steam flow. If I remove load, the turbine speeds up, causing the control rods to extend, reducing steam flow.

This is so much my poo poo. :3:

e:

Truga fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 27, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy

Hagop posted:

That's really cool, would your program scale well for a reactor that was outputting steam to multiple turbines?

I'll know sometime during the weekend when I should have enough cyanite (and other crap) for my 2nd turbine. I think it should just work as is, but it depends on how the reactor will distribute steam to multiple turbines. If it puts even (or close to) amounts into all turbines. If it puts all steam into one until full, then the second, I'll have to do some steam routing via limiting flow into separate turbines. Either way, it should be fairly easy. to implement well enough

Once I get it going with multiple turbines I'll clean up the code a bit and post it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
Uhhh anyone knows how botania mana fabricator from the technomancy mod works?

e: nvm figured it out, just put a mana spreader above it.

I finished my controller script for OC. I think someone here wanted it. I'm in the process of tuning the pid values, then I'll post it on pastebin or somesuch.

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 30, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
http://pastebin.com/adKG8q39

It's not very good, but it works for now. Also, not tested with passive reactor but should work. You can plug n reactors and turbines to it.

Also, that ez nuke script looks cool. Unfortunately, CC isn't in omp-i, and I don't think I'm good enough at this yet to fix it.

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 30, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
After the last omp i update that replaced fastcraft with CoFHtweaks one of my friends now gets like 3fps everywhere. Also, I get a choppier experience as world keeps loading and unloading when I'm looking around myself.

Are there any configs/settings I should be looking at to try and fix these issues?

These things also keep popping up:

Should I completely nuke my settings?

Truga fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 31, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy

Acne Rain posted:

from the server thread, which I follow even though I don't multiplayer.

Yeah, that's what my friend did earlier and he can play fine again now. I guess I'll do the same for now to remove the weird rendering artifacts.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy

StealthArcher posted:

Incidentally I was hoping you would try it with everything, but only because we've been having endless timeout problems on my poor VPS, and I wanted to see if throwing more power (and a dedi in your case) would solve the problem, as I'm tapped out expenses wise for this.

If you post the thing for me too, I'll be super grateful and also report back on if it runs fine on a vps with 96 gigs of ram and 20 cpus. :v:

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Anyone experienced massive FPS loss involving Cryo-stabelized flux ducts? We had a big issue with them on OMP-i's server just now, with them killing FPS for everyone looking in their direction, even behind hundreds of blocks of dirt and stone. Trying to see if its a common issue, or some sort of interaction/bug.

I don't have issues with them with fastcraft, but it is possible that's what was behind cofhtweaks running really lovely for us. Will research when I get home from work.

e: On second thought, that's probably not it, I think we built those ducts after the whole fastcraft thing. Will check it anyway as I'm not 100% sure, but it's unlikely.

Truga fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 2, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Keep in mind you'll need 10 people on in the same area to really start noticing the time outs early on. Also, was that your base on OMPi?

Welp, we only get 6-8 people online most of the time, can't help then, sorry. :(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy

StealthArcher posted:

That can still work, just have people be off doing their own poo poo the /tpall them to you. If 6 people can do that without a timeout on one person then its a power differential.

Well, I, too, am getting random timeouts at times. They're not very common because we don't have many players, but it happens at times.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
https://github.com/Azanor/thaumcraft/issues/1778

Welp. Can I turn off cofhtweaks on the server or will poo poo run real slow?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
I, too, find tesseracts boring.

I thought enderio was actually better on performance for it though? If that's not the case, I'll probably stop using it as much, unless I *have* to cable things in the same block.

vvvv: I really have no idea, I just figured having things teleported from chest 1 to chest 2 would perform better than having an item travel in pipes for long amounts of time for obvious reasons, and lol at enderio if it doesn't, really.

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 8, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I prefer TE textures to enderio myself.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
I think it could be a problem, since you can't put silk touch and fortune on the same thing?

Other than that, I really like iguana things. By the time you max your level, you get the same-ish amount of modifier slots, but also all the free level up modifiers.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
Yep, autosmelt on the pick, so you can easily fix stone buildings, and (more importantly) easily mine out ores that get better yield with smelting and/or fortune than in the pulverizer.

Silk on hammer for everything else.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
Yes. I agree.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
I think blood magic also does portals, and they look cool, but I have no idea how they work yet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

I do have VM software in the lab to test some server stuff on since it sounds like LAN play won't work for what I have in mind. Last year I tried running a server and there was some kind of firewall in place that restricted us to LAN play. Is it possible to make a server work like a LAN somehow, if that makes sense?

"Open to LAN" feature requires very specific mods if you want to actually do "advanced" things like op a guy. Just run a dedicated server on your pc, then have people join that, it'll end up being much easier than the alternative.

And yes, other people should see the server like normal if they're on the same LAN.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
One of my friends really likes bee/tree breeding and got super into it in a world we did a while ago.

That said, it's one of those things you do once and never again, because the first time it's fun for the exploration/discovery of things, every next time it seems to me it'd just be tedious at best.

Kinda like Thaumcraft research, really :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ender IO fluid conduits has been really fiddly with me when connecting empty, new conduit to ones already filled with stuff. Is there some trick there? I wind up having to remove all the fluid conduit that is in-use and rebuild with the new extension. It's very tedious because I usually knock out something else in the conduits while I'm at it.

AFAIK, this is an intended feature. A new ender pipe will never connect automatically to a pipe that already contains liquid, so you can easily run two separate lines next to each other.

Just continue building your line as empty, then use a wrench to attach it to the already filled pipe on the one end.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm playing minecraft again, because vivecraft is sick.

I want to mod a bit, but I don't want any of the heavyweight mods because that will tank my FPS and lead to headaches etc, which I obviously want to avoid.

We're probably getting tinker's construct, simply because it has both ore duplication and really nice tools, and I think it was redlogic that has redpower kind of wires and basically nothing else in it, so surely that won't tank my fps right? :v:

Are there any other recommended lightweight mods?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it runs with forge recently, but any mods that add custom HUD elements like minimaps or WAILA will either break it or simply not work.

e: storage drawers look great, and the transtructor is awesome, thanks! Will also probably use the chicken ender pouch/chest thing, that thing is super useful.

I put up a private server for myself & friends and we build poo poo, and then they come over to check out what they built in 1st person (and go oh my god this is awesome all the time, it's great). :v:

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 7, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
Does curse allow me to make custom forge modpacks for myself and friends? If yes, I'm super on board.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy

immoral_ posted:

Yes, it does. And it's virtually drag and drop.

Apart from doing any config editing, at any rate.

:awesomelon:

Finally, gone will be the days of hosting a bunch of mod jars next to my minecraft servers for people to wget -r. Because yes, even that kind of simple instructions are sometimes enough for people to gently caress up :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
Dunno really where to post this, but my server is acting weird and I have zero idea why. The server is running Thermos 1.7.10.1614.

I'm trying to do something with vanilla pistons and I'm having a problem with the sticky piston. I'm fairly certain 0 or 1 tick pulses should have sticky pistons leave the block out, but on my server 1 tick pulse just extends and retracts the block 9 times out of 10, and a 0 tick pulse doesn't even move the piston. This is probably due to something with Thermos server, isn't it? :v:

e: not thermos server, tried with cauldron, same thing. Which is good, as vivecraft doesn't work well with cauldron.

Did forge fix some minecraft redstone/piston glitches or something? :(

Truga fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 16, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
I'm happy to post that my piston problems resulted in me making a much better tree farm instead. :v:

VR + vanilla redstone is like building huge transistors, relays, and punch tapes and it owns so much :3:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
Do people have mods to have 10 hotkey slots? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, keys above 5 or 6 depending on your finger length get really unwieldy.

Since I've started playing in VR, my setup is:
1: Axe for chopping trees and combat
2: Cobble so I can easily scroll to it from
3: Pick
4: Torches on 4 so right clicking with pick places them (is this a tinkers' construct feature or something else?)
5+ misc crap
9: Food

Of course when working with redstone all that goes out the window :v: