Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Whalley posted:

I got me one of them there Brains What Remembers Maps. It forgets things like "what part of holding a sandwich is bread and what part is fingers" when eating, but maps? I got it.

are you me?

i can still tell you where every single rock on an operation flashpoint map is, and where every single wormhole in the middle of a nebula in freelancer is after like 10 years of not playing but i don't remember what i did at work 3 days ago lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/voxcpw/status/1098425469714731009

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
java hobbyists own

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
don't manually install forge and mods and poo poo, that way lies insanity. go to curseforge and find a modpack that seems interesting, and get that. by which i mean, ask the local thread goons for a good newbie modpack.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Patware posted:

EDIT: also who would ever play vanilla

I sometimes boot up minecraft just in straight vanilla. In VR, even vanilla is amazing poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I played a bit of enigmatica 2 expert and it's a lot of things but "not grindy" is not one of them IMO.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
All the mods fad is great actually, main issue is the stupid load times IMO.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
i install a kitchensink modpack every year or two, play through the things that seem neat, then quit a month later. the less integration done by the modpack the better, since that often results in having to grind through mods 1 and 2 to get to mod 3, and if i don't enjoy those particular mods that's just annoying.

so far i've been having fun :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

oh hey, he apparently updated some of it a few years ago, which is neat. also added some new worldgen types like...Woolpocalypse. Oh my.

screenshot needs the minecraft hand with flint and steel equipped imo :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
IE is one of the rare tech mods that's both fairly complicated, and also works seamlessly in VR because the machines are just multiblocks you assemble from a couple things in the world itself, and also most of the interface is "throw block into machine/conveyor", rather than constantly working with weirdo pipes and 2D interfaces.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
also, always name and shame imo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
craft everything once, if it ever shows up again it needs its own recipe in whatever autocrafting thing you're using imo

if autocrafting still doesn't exists 2-3 hours into a modpack it's a trashpack :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

I shouldn’t need autocrafting at all in a pack, since the entire point of its existence is tedium and repetition. If you’re playing a game and find yourself having to autocraft on a regular basis, something has gone wrong.

yeah I agree. just saying, if you need to craft poo poo multiple times, a modpack should give you quick and easy access to a factory that can do that for you while you do whatever else.

i was gonna play some modded minecraft this fall/winter (i usually get into minecraft mood around this time), but i think i'll just play some factorio instead lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
if it crashed you probably need to assign it more ram.

but also, if you minimize the window while it's loading, it loads faster :minecraft:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Jon Joe posted:

Oh yeah I have 8gb, I just have a 6 year old cpu and 7 year old graphics card.

i have a friend that minecrafts on an ancient laptop, and his bottleneck is always the 8gb ram for big packs, everything else runs fine.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
portals are great but holy poo poo the dimention stacking. hopefully someone makes a fun dimension or two to stack between overworld and nether, to give some real fun dig too deep vibes.

also, anyone tried if to route minecarts through those portals? having a high speed rail network via portal distance hopping would own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
terraria was exactly what i was thinking about. and yeah, i doubt more than 3-4 stack is gonna be workable due to performance/ram issues even on half decent pcs. unless they still don't interact with eachother in any way, then it should work fine, the average pc can easily run 5+ dimensions these days as long as there's no interaction between them. just don't render them unless you're actually near enough to see them on the client and it should(tm) be fine.