Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SodiumEnriched
Apr 19, 2016
I'm looking to get back into Minceraft after a super long absence. I'm already planning on grabbing basic quality-of-life mods like Quark and such, but maybe you guys can help with some pie-in-the-sky stuff I've always wanted. Stand by for :words:

My main issue with vanilla Minecraft and a lot of its mods is that it/they breed complacency in terms of resource gathering, and therefore I overlook a lot of content because the game doesn't really encourage me to use it. For example, there are several biomes I've never seen (Mega taiga, ice spikes, etc) because I never really see the need to explore. I pick my site (usually Extreme Hills because Fred Flintstone caves are excellent) and only ever mine in that area, because just about everything I need is right there. Sure, I have to go further afield to find luxury items like Emeralds or certain plants, or to find horses or such, but I never really need to do so. I remember, back in the days of Beta, a friend of mine played on a map that was generated back in late Alpha, before the introduction of lapis; he was in the middle of a massive project to create hovering roads into newly-generated land just to find lapis. I had a similar experience back in Beta 1.2 or so, when a world mysteriously void of caves generated and I had to make a massive tunnel to find anything, but not much afterwards. I also found the creation of roads in general pretty much useless, especially after the introduction of sprinting; why waste time smoothing the ground and painstakingly placing blocks when I could just sprint everywhere with my literal tons of bread and staircase upwards through mountains if I really have to.

Basically, I'd like to see if there's a mod somewhere that ties ore generation to specific biomes. Gold might be located only in Extreme Hills or Jungles, and diamonds only in a desert, and so on, but they'd be much more common than vanilla in those areas. That'd give the player a reason to go further afield beyond "It'd be cool to see [biome]." TerrafirmaCraft is the only mod I know of that does something even remotely similar, by shoving its new ores into relatively accurate geological formations, which I very much liked. The only issue I had with that was that ore veins aren't especially big; what I'm looking for is more "you might as well build a base here because this is the only real place for gold."

Another mod I remember from back in the day was Better Than Wolves. I stopped playing once the mod maker got a hard-on for super intense hardcore difficulty, but one of the later features I really liked was a multiplier effect on speed on certain blocks. Basically, certain blocks would slow you down if you walked on them or through them, like Tall Grass and Sand; certain other blocks would actually speed you up pretty significantly (Cobblestone, Stone, gravel, other 'road' materials). If it weren't such a pain in the rear end to build roads in BTW when I last played it, it would have been pretty cool to finally have a use for that chestful of cobblestone and lead to some cool engineering challenges with bridges and the like.

I really doubt that any mods with either of these effects are around, at least the way that I described them. The only hit I got on the ore front was some tiny thing that hasn't had an update since 2015, and BTW remains the only mod that implements movement speed multipliers that I know of.

SodiumEnriched fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU