Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Why should I follow posting rules by Zorak, he hasn't been a mod in a long time.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Do you have any suggestions for v1.2.5 modpacks?
Check out Cheaty Classic, the best 1.2.5 mod pack ever!
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/plus-blue.7767

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If you don't think Microsoft is watching this whole "paid modding" situation with baited breath then lol. They are going to jump on any oppratunity to monetize Minecraft that they can find. They will look at the dozens of self entitled modders that have Paetrons and Ad.Fly and donations buttons and think "why aren't we getting a 70% cut of this?"

You have not even seen Minecraft modding drama yet. Once real money starts flying around its going to get vicious.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

I think pocket dimension mods (Mystcraft, RFTools, and so on), despite the problems they can cause for servers, are probably my favorite thing. It lets you have a kind of modest or strictly aesthetic base in the server's main world/prime plane, and then have your huge factory/magical laboratory/hideous stripmine whatever in a different universe, accessible by a convenient and possibly attractive portal.

Minecraft worlds are infinite, couldn't you get the same effect by simply building your strip mine really far away from everyone? Connect them up with a Nether railroad.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

Oh right. Keep thinking they are part of the same deal. Those two mods are sort of associated in my head, maybe they came out around the same time or something?

They are basically two parts of the same mod, by the same guy. It all started with Infinitools.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shukaro posted:

It's very good at being a lot of varied, yet ugly, things.

This is a pretty good description of Minecraft.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bigperm posted:

Sweden (the country) has made a mod for more realistic geology. It's interesting at least. I do wonder it it's all oredicted.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/wip-mods/2421442-bettergeo-more-geology-in-minecraft

Finally a use for all this Tungsten Ore I have been hording since 1.2.5

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

So after messing around with a bunch of new mods in FTB I have to conclude that minecraft modders are kind of insane. Every good idea seems to be hopelessly bogged down by a million tedious or mind bogglingly bad ones. Like this Decocraft mod. It has some genuinely cool looking blocks. Except we can't use any of them because if you try to place any of them in all but one specific way it doesn't work and you get an error saying something is in the way.

Minecraft mods become degenerate the longer they are in development. I suggest you go back to version 1.2.5, you will find most of the mods to be more straight forward and stable.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

Rutibex, noted Minecraft Historian.

I only have a minor in Minecraft History, my specialty is in Boardgame History.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

30.5 Days posted:

Board games have really gone downhill since monopoly and risk came out

My research has shown that Stratego is the peak.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alkydere posted:

Monopoly? Ewwww.

Seirously, go play some real (and actually fun) boardgames like Ticket to Ride or Catan.

:rolleyes:
Ok Grandpa play some Catan.

I'll just play some Arkham Horror over here in the 21st century

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:eyepop:
Wow, so thats a bowl now? I thought it was bad before, but I guess there is always room for improvment.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking about playing a round of modded Minecraft, but I have been out of the game for a while. Looking for suggestions for a good mod pack!

I like mods that add cool power items like Equivalent Exchange, and making big machine factories with Industrial Craft and Red Power. I don't like it when it goes too far with the tedious stuff, like GregTECH, I'm looking for a nice chill building experience. I also like some adventure, you know? Like some dungeons and random ruins and stuff spawning all over. My favorite adventure mod was Dimension Doors, so that would be nice if it still exists! Are there any good mod packs like this?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black Pants posted:

try The 1.7.10 Pack

I tried this pack, after 10min of loading it crashed on phase 3 of its 7 phase 200+ mod loading process :psyduck:

Maybe I should go with something smaller?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Goon Danton posted:

Are there any modpacks that center on or just make serious use of something like ProjectE? It seems tailor made for a skyblock to be built around it.

I would also like to know the answer to this. Most of the compilation mod packs I found did not include it, and there are so many I just gave up after a while.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wolfsbane posted:

If you want a retro adventure, there's the very first Feed the Beast (the one where the beast is a giant pyramid that functions by incredibly complex redstone). That's mostly about EE, and various ways of automating EMC.

I have a much better custom mod pack I made back in 1.2.5, if I wanted to do that I could just boot it up :shrug:

I was hoping to fool around with some of the new fangled 1.7 goodies, but I'd like to cheat a bit with EMC you know? Keeps the game from getting too slow.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

And a very good pack it was. Am I right in remembering people said it was illegal because you didn't have ~permission~ to use other people's mods in a single modpack?

:ninja:
From the look of the platforms that idea seems to have gone out the window. I guess the mod pack wars are won.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Well I gave up. No one suggested a good pack to play so I just went and decided to boot up my old 1.2.5 pack. I never fully explored the potential of these mods, so I still have plenty to play around with. I have made a basic base so far, just a simple 9X9 and a mine down to the earths core. I built near to a Thaumic Obelisk, which I will explore for power items later! :D
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/plus-blue.7767

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sage Grimm posted:

We didn't suggest anything on the basis that you would have dismissed anything we brought up and then say "WELL MY 1.2.5 PACK IS BETTER." We've been through this before. You have lovely opinions.
:ohdear:
I don't want any trouble man, I'm just looking for a mod pack here.

Black Pants posted:

There's also Project Ozone/PO2 which are very silly skyblock packs that have optional not-actually-skyblock maps you can play them on.

This is perfect, thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for, Project Ozone 2 looks like the pack for me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I tried out that Project Ozone 2 pack. After the 10 min it took to load everything seemed alright, lots of mods obviously and some starting tutorial book. I figure I'll read the book later. I wander off to explore and walk over some funny looking dirt. Turns out it was quicksand! I struggle for a bit and die, a pig falls in as well and dies with me. I only died a few steps from my first spawn, so I go back and try to get my stuff and die again...:( This quicksand stuff does not seem to be a solid block, but some kind of weird liquid. But it wont let me place dirt in it like water/lave. Very annoying! I could not figure out how to recover my tutorial book and restarted.

10/10 good mod pack

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ambaire posted:

It may not be immediately intuitive, but project ozone 2 is supposed to be a skyblock type map and you're supposed to choose a skyblock start, like the skylands gen or garden of glass. Not a regular world. TBH, I'm not sure why a vanilla world is an option for that.

I remade my world with this in mind! There were a few options, a couple sky blocks, and an infinite ice world. I decided to do the Ice World, as I have done Sky Block before so this should be a new more interesting challenge. On my first night I opened a "lucky" block given to me in a reward and it spawned 50 Creepers. They blew up half of my spaceship shelter thing. Lucky for me the also dropped a lot of snowballs! I grabbed up the snow and fixed the hole

All of the explosions left a very deep ice crater:

During the night even more monsters spawned. As I waited for my trees to grow I went outside and tried to lure the creepers into the other monsters to blow them up. I died many times, but lucky for me the grave stone mod spawns a piece of dirt for your grave! Free Dirt!

I moved the trees to the roof, after getting blow up be creeper for the 3rd time:

Looting the loot bags. Mostly junk, a bucket is useful:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 3, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyTolradi posted:

The only mods I get this issue with now are Mekanism (three .jars) and ChickenChunks, EnderStorage and their core mods. Is the tiny amount of ad revenue really important to these people?

If I was a mod author I would want everyone to download my mod from the same place, so that I knew how many people played it and how big my E-Penis was.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

They probably would make more money using Patreon these days.

I remember the maker of Red Power, Eloraam, scammed a bunch of people out of Patreon money. She strung them along for many months with promises of a Red Power update, but it never came lol :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bbcisdabomb posted:

I tried to play a 1.2.5 pack again a little while ago and I forgot how annoying making things in RedPower was. Each of those circuits take just way too many intermediate crafting steps.

Dude thats what Crafting Table III is for!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black Pants posted:

What would you want instead?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Booted up Project Ozone again. Today I made a bit of progress, though there were some set backs at first! I had to watch a tutorial video about Ex Nilio mod, but once I figured that out it was easy peasy. I had another encounter with a Creeper, blowing up a second wall. I patched it up and decided to move my operations above ground. I will treat it like a skyblock and live above, rather than attempt to fight off the hordes of monsters:

I started a tree farm on the roof. Once I learned what Vein Miner does this became a lot faster process :v:

I started building up infrastructure. The old home base became a compost heap and the rest was built up stairs. It took a while to get enough non-flammable material to build the cobble generator! My next task is to build some machines to automate the sifting and cobble bashing, but I don't know what I should use. I would have usually used something from Red Power for that....

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 4, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ImpactVector posted:

And it doesn't add much to the game other than a time sink

I thought that was the friggen point of adding mods? :psyduck:

A good mod has to give you something to actually do with your time. Its a sandbox game, you have to have something to do or its pointless. I mean, its easy enough to just cheat or change the recipes yourself, why complain about the balance? :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I found a diamond in a lootbag playing Project Ozone 2. I figure this is my chance, I can finally get alchemy up and running. I try to craft a philosophers stone and it doesn't work. I look up the recipe and see that it has been tampered with! oh jeez, ProjectE Items are now gated behind mastering a bunch of other mods I guess. I suppose that fair.....
:negative:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Diogines posted:

2. Any single player "mod packs" you would recommend to make goofing around on your own a new and novel experience? I played Minecraft a lot when it was new-ish but got bored of it.

I just got back into playing Minecraft a few days ago myself. I am really enjoying the Project Ozone 2 mod pack. It has a lot of enchacments to take out the tedious parts of early mod stuff, and the quest book walks you through a bunch of mods. Its designed for a skyblock, but you can just play on a regular map if you want. I watched this lets play series to learn the basics:
https://mods.curse.com/modpacks/minecraft/244939-project-ozone-2-reloaded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNA3lsmD8M4

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, PO2 is kind of nice but I wish the quest rewards were better than just 'here's a shitton of chance cubes'. That's my only major complaint.

Thats my favorite part actually! Makes the progression really non-linear, as you can get good rewards that let you sequence break.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AceClown posted:

Anyone else reading this thread waiting for Rubitex to open that one chance cube we all know and love?

Also @Rubitex, good luck with the philosophers stone, that block on the bottom middle of the crafting grid is a fucker, needs something like 18 villager souls amongst other things to make the soul machines.

I like it, making me earn the Philosophers stone is probably the best way to force me to play other mods :v:

Black Pants posted:

Edit: it also looks like Rubitex might be playing the Kappa version of PO2, which is deliberately made to be grindier and more difficult.

Nope, its regular mode. They just specifically targeted all the ProjectE items to be end-game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hedging the futures market.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ak Gara posted:

I wanted to see if I could make a workshop that was able to handle the output of 5x5 chunks of two layers of MFR Mining Lasers + Mekanism's x4 ore processing.

I want to see if I am able to build a computer that could even run your save.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Project Ozone 2 question: how do I recharge Flux-Infused hammers? I got one in a loot chest but it's not an infinite tool like the crook.

What do you need a fancy Hammer for? I am doing Project Ozone 2 as well (I'm around the same stage as you) and I have been subsisting on Stone Hammers. With Vein Miner installed the quality of the Hammers doesn't seem to really matter. :shrug:

BTW I love Vein Miner! Back in my day you had to earn that power with the "super broken" EE2, but now people get it for free lol.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Project Ozone 2 Update!

I created a mob spawner drop trap. This way I can farm the loot bags and various other items the monsters drop. I watched a lets play where someone used Fans, so I went with those. It made the design of the trap a lot easier than with water! There are iron spikes at the bottom and some more fans to kill and pesky Blazes than come down :twisted: The bottom is lined with Hoppers and a chest, easy peasy!

I cast this portal with lava and stones and water buckets. I do not actually have a reliable source of Obsidian. I have found that the Neather in Project Ozone is not an ice world, it is full of ores! I might set up some sort of automatic mining operation in the nether. Is there a way to load both worlds at once?

My automatic machines so far. The first thing I created was a block breaker to harvest cobblestone automatically. My entire base is build from this machine. The next was an automatic activator with a sifter and some Hoopers. This saved me a lot of time sifting! I later made an "auto-sifter" that is faster than my first (it was a quest requirement). I kept the first one as it still produces some good sift! I also made one of those big Smeltery things and some tool stations. This pack doesn't let you use normal tools, so I had to craft the special ones. The smeltery seems to double my ores too, so that's nice.

I found a magic pair of pants than allow me to sneak in the air. This lets me "fly" in a really slow and crappy way. Quite handy!

My chests are starting to get out of hand. I need to make some sort of sorting system, but I don't know how exactly. I tried to make some items tubes and Barrels but they didn't work right. I am going to have to watch some more tutorials to understand how these new fanged storage systems work.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black Pants posted:

I love when people who haven't played modded in a decade/have never played modded before are so enthusiastic about their learning process that they post about it like this.

Also, dehumanize yourself and face to AE2. :v:

I can't remember if PO2 has Storage Drawers or any of those low-tech sorting solutions but the Big Mother of all storage options is the Applied Energistics 2 'ME system'. It's, uh.. a hell of a thing for people to get their head around the first time. It's well documented and there are a lot of guides, but it's pretty unlike how most other things work in Minecraft.

I tried to watch a Direwolf20 video about AE2 and I fell asleep before he got to the part where I am able to store things. I went low-tech. Meet the Storage Box 3000™ It's basically just a cube of Drawers with a Drawer Controller on top to dump everything in. Double sided for extra storage! I got a couple Barrels for the Cobblestone, as it wouldn't all fit in a drawer:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Played a bit more Project Ozone today. Things are starting to get a bit expensive, and I am having to make more exotic metals and stuff to keep pushing forward. I needed a good supply of Obsidian, but I was not going to make diamond pick and mine it out. I decided to automate the process. This machine can produce Water/Stone/Obsidian/Ice/Snow, I was already familiar with how Thermal Expansion works, it hasn't changed much since 1.2.5. I made a large Crucible array to produce enough lava to feed the Obsidian mode:

This is what I made with the Obsidian, a QED. It is for crafting more advanced Extra Utilities items. It was really annoying to build!

I used the QED to make energy transfer nodes, which I needed to craft the 8x Generators! My Sifting Machine now runs at 24x rather than 3x :D I have 15 of each upgrade in there, it really chews through the sift now. I also upgraded my Smeltery in order to accommodate the larger amount of smelting. I made a bunch more furnaces to process all the charcoal I need to run the things:

I made a portal to the Aether (it was a quest requirement). Looks like an interesting place, I can gather some resources here, though it seemed a little dangerous. I will come back here later and explore more, I just did an initial scout of the area this time.

Another side project. I sifted some dirt and got a grass seed. I made this patch of grass that has begun to spawn Fluid Cows! These cows produce some valuable liquids, I will capture them in safari nets and put them into a milking machine for their vital fluids. I know how to make a good milking machine from the Feed the Beast days. Milking was a good source of EMC :D

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Perpetual posted:

Unless something has changed since I played AGSkies2 last, I think the fastest early option is actually burning netherrack, which gives 3x versus lava's 2x. It's a bit noisy, but safer and faster than lava. I didn't know about yellorium blocks, will have to give that a shot next time.

Melting Netherrack also produces more Lava than Cobblestone.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Mo Creeps and Weardos has been updated for version 1.7.10, the best version of Minecraft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSwMkW35N74

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyTolradi posted:

Your lack of loyalty towards 1.2.5 is disappointing.

I have found that people have started porting old abandoned mods from various versions to 1.7.10. It has become the defacto standard for many people. Modders are still developing for 1.7.10 even though the actual Minecraft version has moved on. Thats what I've always wanted! A stable version of Minecraft that modders can build on (without having to constantly update their poo poo). Someone even updated Dimension Doors for 1.7.10 :D
https://github.com/CannibalVox/DimDoors/releases

I can't use Equivalent Exchange and Dimension Doors in 1.2.5. Clearly 1.7.10 is the best Minecraft version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

help, i'm a big retard and can't work out how to get Project Ozone 2 on the FTB launcher. i have never played a mod on it that isn't on the FTB Modpacks or 3rd Party Packs by default

also i can't get over how much i loathe the useless pseudo-questbook from Skyfactory 3, which is why i've stopped playing it, so if Ozone's got the same thing then please let me know and i will stop my flailings

You have to download it from the Curse Launcher. I hate all launchers, so I only use them to find the packs then copy all the mods into a MultiMC instance.