Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Playing again after taking a break - I enjoy skyblocks too much to stay away forever.

One thing I can't figure out with the new AE "refined storage", is how you force it to keep a buffer of processed craftables on-hand. Glass, silicon parts, a handful of each processor, etc.

There's this incredibly convoluted method with export nodes paired to import nodes and quantity sensors triggering a redstone cutoff but it's imprecise and prone to runaway if it glitches out.

There must be a better way, right?

(Playing skyfactory 3, if it's in that modpack I can use it.)

Edit:

"Refined Storage" is a rework of AE 1, before the crafter changes. In AE1, I can just put a detector under a crafter and have it listen to the redstone signal. I spent a long time on AE 2 so I forgot about that. Too much overthinking!

One day I'll get another sheep so I can start wool production for real.

Harik fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

pretty much no modern mod packs use anything like EE because EE is hot garbage in a smelly dumpster

EE is just old and crufty now, but it broke the mold and created new rules and ideas when it first came out, no? I just remembered my compressing vacuum bag that would make ridiculously dense something or other out of crap I mined in 5x3x3 chunks. And automating sunlight into matter with an insane buildcraft pipes contraption. It definitely didn't age well, but very few of the early mods did.

Travel Anchors are a QOL godsend. My base got instantly 500% more organized when going downstairs became a single buttonpress. Yay! What sucks is I had to watch a dozen episodes of someone LPing SF3 to figure out the name of it, it's really hard to find something by what-it-does instead of what the author named it.

Playing Skyfactory 3 because I'm a sucker for a challenge, but I have no idea what's "good" weapons and armor anymore and promptly died on my first nether expedition. I thought TCon swords, but none of the materials I can make seem much better than a stupid diamond sword. How do you get 10+ attack weapons before nether stars?

Currently I'm testing out the boomarang + enchants but I need to fix my mobgrinder to harvest experience (whoops) so I can't enchant it yet.

Unlike my last question, I doubt I'm going to instantly find the answer when I hit submit since it's so open-ended.

Also, chickens are OP in this pack. 10x10 item collector and massed pens of iron/steel/redstone/sand chickens feeding my industry. I "should" put them in their nesting pens with extractors but what's the fun in that?

Oh yeah, minor question: what's the name of the super-animal-net that picks up 10 at a time? I saw someone had it but I have no interest in watching a dozen LPs frame by frame to see if they happen to use it and I can see the name show up on their screen.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Black Pants posted:

Personally my favourite TiCon weapon in SF3 is a cleaver made out of bone and prismarine. If you get an Atomic Reconstructor you can turn nether quartz into prismarine shards, which have a high damage rating and the added effect of doing more damage the lower the weapon durability. Bone also increases weapon damage. I mean, okay it was only 25 damage pre-prismarine modifier but that did the job.

Also I just wore a powered up Dark Armor set + vibrant armored jetpack, though a top-tier Mystical Agriculture set would give better protection. That said, there isn't really any reason to go to the nether though, to be completely honest. Everything you would go there for can be obtained without doing so by various means. I made a platform there for safe wither spawning and murdering but otherwise there isn't much to do there.

I've got infinite prismarine (I bred chickens).

What's your cleaver? Bone with a prismarine blade or what? I'm only getting 13 attack out of mine. On the flipside: I can make knightslime because I finally got a purple slime chicken. I "can" do ardite, but I'd have to really ramp up my lava production. Currently 5 barrels on firewater, anything faster? I don't really have the dust sifting to the point I can squeeze blaze powder.

Knightslime should do me until I make a nether run and get the final base chicken.

Black Pants posted:

Also I just wore a powered up Dark Armor set + vibrant armored jetpack, though a top-tier Mystical Agriculture set would give better protection. That said, there isn't really any reason to go to the nether though, to be completely honest. Everything you would go there for can be obtained without doing so by various means. I made a platform there for safe wither spawning and murdering but otherwise there isn't much to do there.

Nether chicken. With that, I can make anything I need. It unlocks diamond and blaze rod chickens.

I guess I could farm them but chickens are so OP it's not even funny, once you get a breeding pair of the type you want just throw seeds at them every 30 seconds and then at their chicks and grandchicks and... soon you're worried about storage and cull the herd some.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Falcon2001 posted:

It's kind of shocking sometimes what I can't live without anymore in Minecraft.

Like I know it wouldn't be useful or authentic to the main game, but god drat if I could ever live in a pack without SOME kind of mass storage like Applied Energistics, or at least EZStorage. Doing ye olde chest hunt is the worst. At the very least, Storage Drawers.

I could see something like SD being in basic minecraft, one drawer per item with the icon on the front? Hopefully they improve the interface though, I can never remember how to access them - shift right click with empty hand after turning around 3 times to fill your inventory or something.

After building a prismaline cleaver and buffing the heck out of it, then remembering things like "enchant your armor" and Atomic Reconstructing emeralds into emraldine for the extra +1 per piece, I tackled the nether and got my corpse back. Blaze spawner acquired, last chicken type as well. I'm officially at the part of the game that's new to me, the wither fight + wither killing automation. I've usually stopped at a big AE/RS setup powered by massive reactors and void mining, so this should be fun.

Once my barn is built and my basement cleaned up I'll take some pictures.

What's the current hotness for bridging RS networks into dimensions? Looks like flux plugs or phantom faces, not sure which.

A few item name questions, all from skyfactory 3:
Multi-animal net thing? Looks like a bubble gun or something.
massive liquid storage for XP and lava - tanks? drums? a multiblock of some description?
the thing that builds in geometric shapes to make my base look less like crap.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Black Pants posted:

I've never considered AE2 to be expensive. At least, it's not expensive to make a dinky little storage box that holds all your stuff and is searchable; it's when you need massive warehouses of storage and autocrafting and all that that it becomes expensive. But the simplest replacement for your chests will cost you a few diamonds, some certus and nether quartz, a few pieces of glass and glowstone, and a bit of a hunt around to find the inscriber plates.

Probably about as expensive as making a couple of diamond chests from the Iron Chests mod, really. What would you want instead?

AE/AE2/RS are gated behind travel to the nether, which sucks as a basic storage system. I'd prefer you could make the most basic bit (4k disk block + crafting terminal) with just iron and maybe a few gold for the advanced core.

In the most basic progression terms:
wood -> wood pickaxe -> stone -> stone pickaxe -> iron pickaxe -> diamond!!! -> obsidian -> nether travel -> storage that doesn't suck.

So at this point you're already down to z16 mining, have iron armor, food, probably a weapon, some water buckets and mining underwater to get the obsidian. That's a good half hour to 45 minutes for an experienced player laser-focused on doing one thing at the expense of everything else being put off.

That's why drawers are nice for early game, you can do them in the wood age, and a wall of 2x2 drawers makes it super easy to see what you have at a glance.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

CrazyTolradi posted:

Easy solution to this would be to add components/storage drives/etc to the chests in meteors, giving people a reason to continue to go after meteors beyond getting the 4 plates.

Christ, I forgot all about meteors; I was thinking just in terms of nether quartz. I've played skyblocks and things where meteors make no sense so the mechanics were changed. The whole "alien technology from the sky (but also has been buried forever) thing rubbed me the wrong way, especially when there were meteors buried everywhere but no reason to go after them once you got the plates. That's a mechanic that would make sense for something that's not "basic storage and crafting", like I dunno, pocket dimensions or some cool new magic thing.

Literally strip that whole meteor thing out of AE2 and give it to some other mod author and both will be better for it.

Wolfsbane posted:

Safari net/Safari net launcher (MineFactory)

I normally just use drums. Depends how massive you mean really.

Building Guide (OpenBlocks)

Not in SF3, I dunno how much but drums would probably work and not in SF3, respectively.

I'm way too old to roll my own modpack anymore, I'll take a curated experience instead of dicking around with conflicts myself.

On the subject of bad experiences: mechanics that depend on random chance are awwwfffuuulll. In this case to make a void miner you need (for some loving reason) ore blocks. On a skyblock, that means some mechanic to give you ores and of course that means fire a laser beam at stone and hope it turns into the ore you need.

Took me 7 stacks of stone to get the one diamond ore I needed, and I hated every second of it. Should be a recipe to infuse stone with ore to get an ore block, make it like 4 ingots so you can't make infinite growth out of it. Once done the auto-assembler multiblock void miner was pretty cool though, so that was worth it. That got me draconium ore so pretty much endgame at this point.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Ambaire posted:

You guys should try out Refined Storage. It's basically AE2 but without hunting for meteors or whatever nonsense and the storage disks store a flat 4/whatever thousand items no matter how many different types you got in there.

It's somewhat of a hybrid between AE 1 and AE2. Does ditch the stupider mechanics but loses the multipart block stuff that lets you make super-dense processing arrays.

I don't understand why people are so hung up on needing to go meteor hunting and a trip to the nether for slightly upgraded storage. I absolutely think the high-density storage and autocrafting should require meteorite bits and nether quartz, but not a 4k storage and your crafting terminal.

To explain it better: You need to complete the entire mod to get the first bit of it. Once you've found the 4 plates, 2 charged certus and gotten a few stacks of nether quartz, you're done, everything is unlocked. That's not progression, it's a giant cliff.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Black Pants posted:

I recently upgraded from a really old 3.2ghz AMD Phenom II to a still really old but slightly less so AMD FX-6300 that I've overclocked to 4ghz, entirely on the basis that I wasn't able to play heavily-modded Minecraft and watch videos/streams at the same time. Granted I really overload my computer at all times so someone else might have a better time but still I dunno.

I was playing (slowly) on a 7 watt intel NUC. It plays skyfactory 3 at ~20fps when another machine hosts - stopgap since I have more kids than game machines.

Up to two local servers now - one is endgame of just my stuff, and the other is just at early farming and smelting that I'm using to teach the kids advanced mods. I'll probably use that one as an excuse to learn enderIO.

One of the few pack choices I actively dislike - rftools dimlets are completely endgame. You've had to kill the ender dragon, repeatedly (wither farm to respawn him too) and get massive powergen to get the the draconic infusers to get wyvern level draconic infusers to get awakened draconium. For all that - you get B:voidOnly=true ????

So I turned it off. Random dimlets with terrain generators can be amazingly fun to explore.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
I was running ATM3 for a while and had fun with it, but it absolutely murders my PC. Probably my own fault for using RS instead of AE2, but I loving hate the stupid meteor hunt minigame.

Plus, I looked into endgame and noped the gently caress out the bee requirement. The mod I did really enjoy was Astral Sorcery; any packs use that and keep up with the latest dev stuff? He's really making a lot of new stuff lately and I don't really feel like rolling my own.

Nthing the fond memories of blightfall, BTW. It's still the most fun modpack I've ever played. Too bad the skyship broke all my pipes every time I parked it to clear the land...

E: curses dependancy filter doesn't really tell me the bit I need to know: what version of AS is included in a pack. Pack date is a proxy for it but no guarantee that a jan-2019 release means it's got the jan-7 update.

E2: Lag was the comedy option: a missing water source near my base trapped a chicken and I have the horny animals astral sorcery perk. One server-side chicken genocide later and suddenly the TPS went from .5 to 15.

Harik fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 20, 2019

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Kobata posted:

1.13 is right now about the worst possible version for mods in general: The major framework (and thus the majority of mods) is currently stuck on 1.12 due to various reasons. There's a smaller alternative thing that showed up recently, but that is targeting 1.14 and has a couple smaller mods for it, so 1.13 is in the weird middle spot between those two.
It's happened repeatedly, there's some big forge-breaking change in minecraft and it takes so long to fix that everyone just skips the version and develops for the next. Mods not rushing to target the interim version means they get more updates on their own code so you end up with a good period for mods in general.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
Digging PO3 a lot. Aside from the idiotic ground pebbles at the beginning most resources are difficult to get but then aren't scarse soon after. 10 diamonds to infinite diamonds via magriculture was a good find, and thinking emeralds were scarse then noticing the dozen stacks from illager farming made that easier too.

Huge fan of the iron>gold>diamond furnace line, more mods should promote upgrades over identical rows of CPU killing machines.

One bit I don't like: heat sand. It's ridiculously good for lava gen, top three easy. And it's just lying around the nether, sometimes. If you get lucky. My luck sucks and I'm tempted to just cheat myself some because there's no reason to be in the oreless nether once you've gotten a pile of crystals and a drop of evil.

Speaking of oreless, where do you get redstone ore for the redstone flower? Laser it up or deep dark easier?

Oh, and prosperity shards, they're rareish and don't drop with diamond mesh. Any better way to get them?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

AceClown posted:

Have you got to the armour page yet?

I have....kill me now.
Yes I have. I had a squid farm for calamari->craft to fish->cook->dry to leather but then I just used the mob drops from my farm to get started. It's mostly a process of grab 24 of each metal with the occasional trip back to the smelter to alloy something to get through the normal metals, but I haven't gone all the way down the tree yet.

Squid farm is really easy, grab a couple stacks of cobble and ladders, ride the water down while placing a pillar, then make a 4x4 pool 30-ish blocks down. Squid spawn midair then die automatically.

Arkitektbmw posted:

Did I miss something in an update? Why is your nether oreless?

I have no idea. I'm running whatever is latest in Garden of Glass worldgen and the only ore in the nether I've seen is quartz crystals. I've vein-mined huge chunks out of the various netherrack flavors and found nothing. I've got soul sand, fortress bricks, glowstone, quartz, the nether trees, netherrack, magma rocks that I can never remember the name of and that's it.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Twilight Forest for both; they're part of normal worldgen there.
Ok, so I need to burn through embers which means I need to find out why my farm isn't spawning ancient golems. I'm doing the 1x20 strip with vector plates to prevent larger mobs from spawning, but that shouldn't prevent ancient golems. I wonder if it's due to using cursed earth and I just need a normal darkroom for the golems?

Falcon2001 posted:

My biggest love for PO3 comes from the Skylands setup, which is 100% the best map generation setup.

Yeah. I uh...Armor degrades, yo. This is a bad idea. I'm playing by myself so I'm just going to go ahead and wear it and if it dies I'll just cheat in a new one.
I thought you could start at wherever with the armor core? I haven't tried breaking any yet.

I thought about skylands but I was worried about blood moons giving me poo poo. Although I suppose dirtrocks up a furnace, twerk some trees to charcoal and light the poo poo out of it is doable in a single minecraft day.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oh, another PO3 speedbump that I found out about yesterday -- apparently the chunk loading from FTB Utilities is disabled. That's the chunk loading where you open the inventory, click on the map in the upper left, then select chunks from an overhead map. Chicken chunks chunkloaders are in the pack instead. I have no idea why it's this way, but it is. :shrug:

Also, if you're looking for a place to set up an ember bore, the best dimension for them is the hunting dimension. It has flat bedrock and your portal spawns at something like y-level 6, so it's super easy to dig out a spot for it. Just make sure to bring a spot loader or something. Great for the bullshit ender io grains of infinity, too -- dump out a bucket of firewater that you got from a basic loot bag onto the bedrock and have a vacuumulator to suck up the goodies. Or do a dispenser with flints and steel, whatever.

Ender bore should work on the main dimension, just water elevator down and use an angel block around y=2 or so. Unless they changed something, all the streams drop it there to mine enough for the twilight forest portal gem.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Thanks that + fresh install seems to have gotten things working

Java 1.8.0_181
code:
-d64 -server -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:ParallelGCThreads=3 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent
-XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10  -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=50 -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods
-XX:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX:NewSize=84m -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:NewRatio=3
-Dfml.readTimeout=90
This gets me 40fps @1440p-ish (windowed) on the haswell graphics of my 4590 in linux with multimc.

Found my ancient golem problem: I was in darklands mountain biome. Built a new cursed earth farm that crosses between forest & darklands and that fixes the problem. Dump them all into an ender chest to one sorting system.

I pushed my gold furnaces all the way to enderium furnaces and boy is that nice. Ten smelts per tiny charcoal or 3 per stick which I have so many of due to bonsai pots.

3.0.38 makes you buy all the ability totems instead of dropping them, yikes. Tens of thousands of RAK to get all the levels of everything, I hope they made the questlines a bit more generous.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Vib Rib posted:

What's good autofarming for Mystic Agriculture crops? A huge part of the mod seems to be based on the chance of an extra seed dropping but almost every autofarmer I've seen bypasses that chance. Hell, even mods that add "right click to harvest" mechanics don't ever drop extra seeds. Only breaking the crops does it.
In any pack that doesn't also use Agricraft, getting more seeds seems to be a real challenge.
Cyclic farmer (harvester?) works with the basic mystic I know from ATM3, but I don't have cyclic+agricraft in a pack to test if they work together.

I mostly just cheat in a stack of fertilized essence after I get automation up because it's only needed for the watering cans and I'll be damned if I give a poo poo about "mod purity" when they hate automation so much.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, I think the Tier 6 seeds specifically don't drop extras. I've had them going for a while and never gotten a second. However, if you want more, just slap it on an agricraft crop stick and have it crossbreed onto an adjacent pair of sticks (with the horizontal ones added.) Boom, more seeds.
Even faster, take cuttings from one. Cuttings have a chance not to take, seeds always plant. There's a "bug" where the crop analyzer turns unidentified cuttings into seeds so you can basically instantly grow as many as you want.

McFrugal posted:

That's not a description of code? That's just how they work. They slosh. It's badly designed rather than badly coded.
It's adorable that you think the "sloshing" was designed rather than him doing it idiotically in code and never fixing it and slapping "feature" on it.

E: while I'm at it, I hate most piping systems because multi-output-type is a thing and only one or two mods let you designate which output goes to which side. luv2 smash my entire piping system because I get a fart of the wrong fluid in.

Harik fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 22, 2019

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

McFrugal posted:

Look, greg may be an idiot but you're still not describing bad code. Code is bad when it does stuff you don't want, or takes too long to do what you want. Greg wants it to work this way, probably to emulate some sort of pressure mechanic since pipes have better throughput if the input can keep up with the output. He probably thinks the sloshing is realistic since it only happens when the pipes are partially filled.
Unless he really sat down and said "You know what would really make minecraft better? Fluids sloshing around pipes when there's not quite enough output space.", it's bad code.

E: He may have designed the code to work as a 3d-floodfill, but that's separate from the game design to be trace amounts of fluid wandering back and forth.

code/game design are separate things, and passing off bad code design as a feature happens all the time.

E2: Like the example last page, someone really sat down and made a god function with a "what should I do?" argument that overflowed the maximum java function size. They designed that function and all the ways to call it, and it worked "as designed" until they added just one more feature, but that's still bad code.

Harik fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
It's insane how awful translocators and hopping pots are for lag. Threw in the goggles to see what's up and drat. Idle ember machines/pipes just chew up your TPS as well, I ended up tearing my entire ember section down. The only thing that came close to those two culprits was one I expected to: the imaginary time block.

Storage/transport modders need to learn two words: Exponential Backoff.