Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Big smelteries are also useful for melting / casting lots of stuff at once. I really like TiC clear glass, so once I'm rolling in grout ingredients I usually build a 4x4x4 smeltery with multiple drains & basins since it's so slow to melt / cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I'm running through Ferret Business right now, been doing Mekanism power/processing almost exclusively.

With mekanism, you want to build a few heat generators so you can turn coal -> power (don't use lava, horrible exchange rate for some reason), then tech up to windmills for constant free power. If you don't mind ugly nerdpoles in your base, place them way way up for extra power.

Then you want to get gas-burning generators. Set up a wheat/carrot/whatever farm, crush the food to make biofuel. Get the hydrogen from your 3x ore setup that you've been dumping until now, and mix it with the biofuel in a pressurized reaction chamber to make ethylene. Burn that in a bank of gas-burning generators. They consume almost nothing, but only make 300rf/t so you'll need alot of them, and a big battery in between. When the ethylene is made it makes substrate as a bi-product. You'll need some later, but not alot unless you want to lay down speed boosting road blocks everywhere, so dumping it into a void upgraded barrel is a good idea.

Once you have a metric poo poo-ton of copper & alot of steel/gold, make 3 full size solar evaporation plants. Pipe water into the first 2 to make brine, then pipe the brine into the 3rd one to make lithium. Putting lithium into a bank of solar neutron activators turns it into tritium. Then make a bunch of mekanism pumps with water filter upgrades to pump heavy water, and electro-lise it into deuterium. Deuterium and Tritium get piped into a mekanism reactor, which needs to be started with a mekanism laser that has been charged up in a laser collector block to at least 400mrf. But once that is going, you get 200kf/t all from water. At the lowest setting. With no maintenance. I think 2 brine / 1 lithium tower will let you run at 4krf/t sustainably, but I have a pretty big input buffer so I'm not sure. After a few hours I filled my multiblock mekanism power storage thingy to capacity at something like 4grf and I just stopped caring about power.

Right now I've got 8 MFR laser drills (with 32 prechargers) drilling for ore and 25 resonant magma crucibles with full speed upgrades making lava -> obsidian -> obsidian tile -> supply crates for quest points, and I think I'm still net positive.

Honestly the worst part of mekanism is the 4x and 5x ore multiplication. It is just leaps and bounds more complex than 3x and by that time you've got a digiminer, a teleporter, and a jetpack so getting 66% more efficiency out of your ores is far more time consuming than flying your miner 32 blocks further east and plopping it down to mine some more. Especially if you've got TE with tesseracts in your pack. Until I stopped bothering, it took me 30 seconds to teleport to my miner; pick up the tesseract, teleporter block, and miner; move 100 feet away, plop all three down again and re-register the teleporter's new position; then start the miner back up and teleport home.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Yeah, the heat gens generate a fraction of an rf/t for each lava block around them. I was talking about actually putting lava into them. For some reason, a whole lava bucket only gives you around as much power as a piece of charcoal. Considering how much power lava gives you in ender-io machines, etc. you might assume it would be good in mekanism too, but nope.

Not sure how ender-io cobblegen compares to an upgraded thermal expansion cobble gen. Maybe I'll try it out tonight and see which one is faster.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Fayk posted:

Out of curiosity, do you find yourself packaging much of anything for FMC/coins?

Yeah. I make obsidian (75 FMC) into Thaumcraft obsidian tile (250 FMC) and then 4 of those makes a 1000 FMC Supply crate. Just costs power, a few coins (which you get back 100x over) & some wood. I've got my obsidian gen dumping into an upgraded barrel that has a AE2 storage interface connected to it. Everything in the crafting chain is loaded into AE2's crafting system. Once I get 300 stacks or so I order 50x 1,000,000 FMC supply crates from my wireless doodad and the finished crates get exported back into a SAG mill for auto claiming. I've got the chits programmed to craft up to the highest level to save some time there too.

The only part I can't seem to automate is opening the bags of coins you get. I tried an autonomous activator and it seemed to just eat them.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Meskhenet posted:

Yeah i stopped playing ferret business when my game went down. I really should reload it, or start a new one. But i dont think i will like the no flying till you kill a wither :/

Maybe i just cheat in an angel ring :p

I've been flying the almost whole time. You don't need to kill a wither.

Options:
Mekanism Jetpack
Simply Jetpacks Jetpack
Angel Ring

The easiest is the Mekanism Jetpack since it's cheap, and everything required to make (and fuel) it you should have already from setting up ore triplication. Plus with a couple diamonds and some extra bronze it get unbreakable diamond-tier protection too. After that I grabbed an Angel Ring so I could wear a full set of the ender-io dark steel armor, and a division sigil is super high priority to get since cursed earth mob farms are bonkers.

Meskhenet posted:

Did the ferret business get harder?

I started again and have died more than 10 times. (admittedly 6 of those were when i died in a bloodmoon and it took me another 5 deaths before morning.)

But i was tending crops and kobolds spawned and killed me. Maybe i just chose a bad place for a base :/

Any pack with Guardians of Gaia I turn on peaceful until I've setup a small house with a perimeter fence. Random hostile day-spawning mobs that are faster & far tougher than vanilla? No thanks. And is it weird that 75% of them have boobs?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

You can get a botania / agricraft farm going in regrowth, you just have to overlap the drums. I made a 18×18 farm which would normally take 4 drums and I used around 20. This ends up getting 95% of the blocks. Costs a lot more mana but that shouldn't be an issue with fire essences -> lava buckets -> thermalillies.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Fayk posted:

Someone else was doing obsidian->those thaumcraft obsidian things since for some reason it multiplies the fmc slightly..

That was me: obsidian is 75 FMC, but thaumcraft obsidian tile is 250 FMC. You make the obsidian tile by crafting 4 obsidian into 4 tile, so 233% profit, and 250 FMC items can be crated really easily without using the megapackager.

Never played around with it, but my 10x10 cursed earth mob farm produced alot of drops; I'll bet you could squeeze some FMC out of bones or rotten flesh or fermented spider eyes or something.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I've picked TechNodeFirmaCraft back up because I'm an absolute masochist, but after generating 6 worlds I've not found one that has a decent distribution of early game resources. No clay, a goddamn treeless island, no clay again, bears at spawn, no fresh water, and finally no copper / edible plants.

Does anyone know where the terrain generation configs are inside that pack? I wan't to tweak them so I don't have to walk for 30 minutes straight to get to another rock biome.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know I keep asking this but why do people keep making things more complicated?

I just...I don't get it.

1: Mods that don't get regular content updates are dead and their authors disappear into the mists of obscurity, never to be admired again.

2: Mod updates that change things to be simpler are dumbing things down for the lowest common denominator and should be decried by all.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Here are some big tips I wish I'd known:

I haven't finished the pack but I think I've found a loophole that will let you skip most (if not all) of the Pneumaticraft stuff:

There is a hidden chest on the outside western edge of the asteroid near the bottom & key under the reactor walkway hidden by coolant that has a spare pneumatic servo. You scan this into the minechem microscope & now you can make it in the synthesizer bypassing all the plastic mumbo jumbo. Not sure yet if any other mod content is gated behind those transistors, etc. but I think all the TE stuff is just held up behind pneumatic servos. Edit: Nope, I was looking at the deconstruction screen, not the synthesize screen, nevermind.

Nevets fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 23, 2016

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Yeah, after having 6 spawner comets crash into the nursery roof in less than 5 minutes I think I'm done with this poo poo. Maybe I'll try blightfall again, try to actually cleanse the whole island instead of giving up once I get the dawn machine.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Early Blightfall tip:

Once you get a flint shovel & some food make a run for the nearest beach & mine as many stacks of sand as you can. EU thickened glass requires 50% more fuel to make but it's harvestable & requires no industry to get. Taint doesn't spread onto glass, so it makes for an easy way to plug up tunnels or wall off areas that you don't want infected. Once I get some blooms I purify some land around the dome, build a double thick wall 3 blocks high to prevent reinfection, move the blooms and start over.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought you could make a Pam's Harvestcraft sapling from a fruit/nut, but I guess not. Could it just be disabled by Blightfall?

Yeah, it's disabled in that pack. Be very sure before planting your saplings, you can't get them back.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

If there's no clay possible, the grass will be really ugly and labeled 'dry grass'.

Also note that dry grass doesn't count as edible grass for sheep, so if you pasture them on it you'll never get any wool.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Harik posted:

Playing Skyfactory 3 because I'm a sucker for a challenge, but I have no idea what's "good" weapons and armor anymore and promptly died on my first nether expedition. I thought TCon swords, but none of the materials I can make seem much better than a stupid diamond sword. How do you get 10+ attack weapons before nether stars?

EnderIO Dark steel is relatively cheap material wise, and the anvil upgrade costs are cheap once you put some golden spikes & an xp vacuum in your mob spawner.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

* but bloodwood owns even more, now all of our tools are made out of renewable, irritating-to-cut-because-lumber-axes-don't-work bloodwood, was totally worth blowing all that rep on sapling bags

Get yourself an MFR harvester & autonomous activator & automate that crap. Last game I had renewable metallum, ordo, permutatio, etc. so that meant infinite materials without having to go whole hog on Botania & mining lasers.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Black Pants posted:

How do you even do this? I've never done that part of Thaumcraft before.

Using multiple alchemical furnaces & arcane alembics you can get ignis & potentia from charcoal, & perditio from cobble. Add some more charcoal to these & pipe them into a thaumotorium and you have an infinite source of alumentum to power your furnaces.

For metallum, make a bloodwood tree farm using an mfr harvester & autonomous activator (since planters won't work upside down), send the wood through a sawmill, and boil the planks down in an alchemical furnace for metallum & void the rest if you don't need it.

Now you make multiple alchemical furnaces -> thaumotorium lines, one for each ingot type you want to make. Use the furnaces to melt a renewable block to get the secondary aspect of the ingot (sandstone -> ordo for lead, glass -> vitreum for tin, etc.) voiding the rest, and combine that with metallum in the thaumotorium & some nuggets to get even more nuggets. Pipe the nuggets back in & the machine will run whenever it has enough aspects to work.

The tricks to making it work realiably:
A: Only use the minimum number of alembics per furnace & just void the unused stuff.
B: Label every jar & alembic so nothing goes where it shouldn't.
C: No shared pipelines, just one aspect each.

As for making gold I found my mob farms gives plenty of golden trousers, etc. Repair them in the whatchamacallit with instrumentum which if I recall you can get from flint, then melt them down in the TC smeltery. Alternatively don't repair them and melt them down for aspects instead since durability doesn't matter there.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

one way that sky factory 3 does well here is that it has a mod that makes trees grow faster if you... twerk :cripes: at them (press shift to crouch and let go to uncrouch repeatedly)

You know, I never got the joke about "twerking" to grow trees until just now.

Twerking gives you wood.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

Of course, in the cave networks my problem is not remembering to mark my trail so I can find my way back out. :v:

Two things I find that help me navigate:

When you come to an intersection, plop down something to mark the way you just came from (I tend to put 2 torches side by side), so when backtracking you know which path to take.

Bring something along like stone bricks. After you've followed a branch all the way to it's end & mined it dry, backtrack to the last intersection & put a few blocks around the entrance to the newly exhausted branch so on subsequent visits you know it's a dead end.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Fayk posted:

No go:
Blightfall - not actually done but they'll never be a person who wants to learn how to use Thaumcraft. And I don't think I wanna research ever again.

There is also an ini option for 'simple research' iirc. Let's you unlock stuff by spending research points directly, bypassing the research minigame. Still need to scan stuff & discover aspects.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Variable and even just non 1-to-1 processing recipes are hard to program into the system. If you tell it that putting 1 iron ore in yields 2 iron dust and 1 ferrous dust, then 9 times out of 10 the system will error out. Similarly if you tell it 10 iron ore = 20 iron dust + 1 ferrous dust you still run the risk of not getting a ferrous dust per 10 ore.

My suggestion would be to setup a redstone controlled exporter that sends iron ore to a pulverizer whenever the amount of ferrous dust in your storage dips below a certain threshold. That way it will just keep feeding it ore until you get enough ferrous back out.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I need a little reminder of Agricraft's schtick. Is this the fairly fail-safe way to get better stuff:

1. Create a 3x3 farmland plot
2. Place stakes in each square
3. Plant the seed of choice in one corner
4. Come back later at some point and find the best candidate in the opposite corner.

If you've got weeds turned off, the best bet is to make a straight line of crops 20+ long, plant your 1/1/1 seed on one end and do something else for an hour. Each time it spreads you have an independent chance to increase each value, so it can take several tries for even a 10/10/9 to level up to a perfect 10/10/10.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

To add to that here is my 'minimal effort' process to get 10-10-10 seeds:

Make a single row of farmland 30-40 (maybe longer, can't recall) blocks long, filled with double crop sticks. Plant your single 1-1-1 seed in the first spot, wait until the plant has spread all the way to the end. If the line was long enough you are guaranteed that the last few plants got to 10-10-10. Then starting from the back end break the plants one by one until you notice the new seeds aren't stacking with the first plant you broke. Double check that stack to make sure its 10-10-10, and just trashcan the other seeds without bothering to analyze them. This does takes longer than planting a seed, letting it spread N/S/E/W, analyzing the 4 new seeds and replanting the best one, letting is spread again, etc. The advantage is you can easily setup a dozen parallel lines (separated by non-farmland) and do something else while waiting for them to grow, and then you can setup sprinklers on them for even faster propagation.

Also, when crossbreeding the two parent plants don't need to be directly opposite each other, so when using a watering can you can make things a bit faster by planting them in a pattern like so:

_ X B
X A X
B X _

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

KingLemming posted:

It's pretty trivial to add another mod, especially if it's very small, so I'm looking at modular additions for the future.

Thank you for this. 95% of people will still just download the whole "thermal ____" suite of mods (because they are all good) but it sets a good example for other modders.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

bbcisdabomb posted:

Is there a 1.10 pack with Mystical Agriculture and Agricraft that I can steal some configs from? Skyfactory 3 is only missing Agricraft to be something close to my perfect pack.

SF3 doesn't really need Agricraft. You can get all the different seeds through mixing / nature essence, and if you want to speed up crop growth look into a Growth Crystal mk2 from Actually Additions. It is so stupidly fast that an Enderio farming station can't keep up with a 7x7 plot.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Dareon posted:

I need some advice. I developed a beautiful, compact, elegant machine that doesn't work as I intended at all.

This is a setup for automating Thermalilies. In theory, every six minutes the Floating Hourglass up at the top will flip, triggering the Fountains to release a bucket of lava from the lava generator, feeding the four Thermalilies. In practice, whenever I load the tank manually, the fountains go off immediately. Neither that position for the hourglass nor a block lower to activate the Redstone Relays fixes the problem.

It's sort of a moot point, because I don't currently have enough power generation hooked up to produce 4 buckets of lava in six minutes, but I'd like to have it set up properly before hooking up more power. I could set the hourglass to activate the servo out of the tank instead, but I don't know if a basic servo will transport enough during the period the hourglass is active.

I've always had bad luck with servos working off redstone pulses. Have you cycling filled buckets to dispensers and empty ones back out to fluidcrafters, with the clock setup to pulse the dispensers? That's how I did my thermalilly farm in Regrowth.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Actually that's pretty smart. You can't grab BC and put it into your modpack and take all the credit for it if there aren't any other mods to pack with it. :smug:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

1.7 TE Tesseract may have required using alot of different machines, but that was because it was the end-game doohicky and TE gated progression behind getting tiers of different types of machinery. Tier 2 was alloys like invar which required either an induction smelter or pulverizer, tier 3 was destabilized redstone & glowstone / liquified ender which required the magma crucible.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

KingLemming posted:

Mainly the typing of a channel name. I feel like some other way of identifying a channel would be more ideal.

It isn't really that bad, people can be lazy and name channels "1", "2", "3", etc. or be more descriptive: "Reactor fluid input", "Peak Load Power Output". Any other way of doing it like picking colors or 4 digit pins ends up being only marginally faster than typing a name and far more limiting.

Maybe it would look better if the GUI was more informative, with icons by the channel name indicating if another tesseract on the network is already connected to it and if it is moving fluids/rf/items.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Another idea would be gating new realestate behind tiers. Make up some mostly transparent blocks that don't drop anything when harvested, surround the spawn with hollow cubes of increasing size and mining requirements. When you get an Iron/Diamond/Manyullen pick you veinmine the current cube & open up more space.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Toadsmash posted:

Has someone figured out the flow rate caps for the RS importer/exporter in fluid mode? I can't find them posted anywhere -- or even that putting speed upgrades on said importer has any kind of benefit. My very basic starter turbine is getting by with a single inlet/outlet pair maxed out with 4 upgrades, but I have no idea how long that'll hold when I start expanding it. Guess I'll have to find out.

Good luck, I couldn't even get level emitters to work with fluids when I played SF3 a few months ago.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

...bullshit intermediate crafting step that serves no purpose but to increase resource cost...

Isn't this just minecraft modding 101?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Not sure about Sprout, but in CotT you combine 9 shards into 1 heart and use that for +1 health.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

My solution was to make a bed on the first day. It's possible if you hustle.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

central dogma posted:

But seriously, why the hell is there a GUI overhaul every goddamn month?

Because "New" is always "Better", and if they don't stay fresh and hip the fickle masses will abandon them.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hmm? You can get the Compressor really early. That's all you need to make the goofy wood stuff for them.

I was stumped on how I was going to get sugarcane (requires glistering melons as an infusion ingredient, which require tier 2 techreborn circuit machines) until I bothered looking up paper & sugar in NEI and found that you can make both from rice fairly easily.

Makes me wonder why you would bother making sugarcane so hard to get in the first place? Is there anything it's used for beside paper & sugar?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Never had a problem loading MSB2, takes a few minutes but always works.

9 out of 10 times I try to update the pack it fails, though. Usually at the 98% complete mark. Yay for twitch launcher.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

The book doesn't mention it but you can get an automated mob farm setup using Ember's vacuum hopper. It only takes 10 lead ingots, which is something like 20 lead alchemical dust due to the inefficient early tier condensers, but lead is clay+blaze powder so not too bad.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Once you get steel production going all the flint you got while grinding cobble down to sand can be combusted to gunpowder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Yeah, I spent way too long making an automated empowered oil setup, figuring it would get me enough juice to make empowered blocks at 50,000,000 RF each. Nope.

Then I figured out that extreme reactors requires a grand total of 2 poisonous potatoes to break into. You can grind yellorium ingots back to dust, and yellorium dust can be turned back into alchemical yellorium, so you only ever need to make 1 set of the precursor ingredients.

If you've got Enderium casings & Signalum condensers it should only take an hour or so to farm up the graphite, iron & yellorium needed for a big enough setup.