Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Tony Homo posted:

I hope I don't get flamed for this but here goes. I read the OP and still have questions.

I haven't really played in a while but I think http://www.technicpack.net/ should get you going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
goons, it turns out that with properly configured fairly modern hardware you can actually reliably run a large modpack with entities in a stable environment so that's exactly what I did.

I don't want to tickle my own butthole by saying it's the greatest Minecraft modpack ever assembled of all time but it's the greatest Minecraft modpack ever assembled of all time and u dun playd urself if you haven't tried it yet.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Hagop posted:

So does combat in Minecraft not suck any more, or am i just total misreading this mod pack.

with p much every single major mod in the pack you have a variety of ways to approach whatever situation, but if you do choose combat flying around the nether in a jetpack, dual wielding whichever of the hundreds of weapons, slaying mobs from doom, is an improvement. I want you to be able to get a lot of things you need from combat, so I've put emphasis into first making sure you don't die from lag and then expanding the mob drops. there's a few mods doing AI so mobs are smarter too. you could totally play this like a roguelike and not build anything at all and just explore and you'd still have a great time

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Rutibex posted:

Pfft, mega mod packs aren't impressive any more. The game goes through and assigns all of the blockIDs automatically, you don't even need to touch any configs!

Back in my day making a mega-mod pack took some effort

get at me when you get 250 1.10.2 mods with expanded entities to run well together, as if this hasn't been 6 weeks of minecraft 10hrs a day :cawg:

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
EnderZoo, DeadlyMonsters, Infernal mobs and Lycanites mobs. you can turn off dirt slimes if you really need to dig up a bunch of dirt that bad?

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

The thing that has always bugged me about Minecraft is the world feels empty, you might get lucky and get a village or dungeon underground. But with that mod they are everywhere and look different depending on the biome they are in. Granted this is probably old news to anyone in this thread but hell I haven't played modded Minecraft in forever so it's all new to me.

roguelike dungeons, doomlike dungeons, dungeon tactics, recurrent complex and futurepack all add dungeons and good things to worldgen. The doomlike dungeons are great too, you'll know you found one because they actually feel like a doom level. You can even have roguelike dungeons generate in the end/nether which adds some nice variety. all this stuff already in grimdark btw:ssh:

futurepack does this

frenzy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 24, 2017

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Here's a beholder from lycanites mobs, climber from deadlymonsters, ae2 meteor in an ars magica 2 forest, creeper tower on an infernal zombie, arms magica 2 scythe and draconic evolution tier 1 armor

I don't know what is generating all this, I didn't want to go inside

frenzy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 26, 2017

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Evil Mastermind posted:

I find it really hard to get into modpacks that have everything thrown in just to have them, regardless of redundancy.

I don't know what's not to like about having everything available instantly at your fingertips, if you want to focus on just one mod use @modname in NEI

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I like storage drawers for how it presents to me all of my things, but you gotta plug it into AE2 for autocrafting

I added guns to my modpack. This mod is p great and the only thing I've found that adds working guns on 1.10.2, complete with extensive configs

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Try Lycanites, here's my configs with everything disabled except a few of the doom mobs in the nether. Apparently you can tame these things and use them as mounts, like if you enable the jungle uvaraptor and tame it you can fly it around

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Lycanites has a nice feature that lets you have it add its mobs on top of the vanilla spawn or have it modify the vanilla spawns where it claims to not replace too many so you can still find them. All these mods (and others like loottweaker) let you modify the mob drops, so it's probably a good idea to make their drops more useful if you're going to put them in a pack.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I remember those buttons working at some point in 1.7 but they don't for me on 1.10, I use /gamemode 0/1 to switch in and out of creative but in terms of utility I use the wrench in the bottom left (or maybe top?) to enable item cheat mode in survival because the creative inventory is clunky.

Unidict and and nomorerecipeconflict should fix ore conflicts without much effort

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Fayk posted:

Any recommendations for a current fun modpack for cooperative play?

GRIMDARK

u can call me on my fruitphone

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Mzbundifund posted:

Blightfall without Thaumcraft is like Doom without shotguns. Sure it's possible but you're missing the best part.
This made me realize Minecraft without GRIMDARK is also much like Blightfall without Thaumcraft, in the sense that GRIMDARK is probably the only pack with the mobs from DOOM and shotguns

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Rutibex posted:

Now I need to build some Logistic Pipes to make this baby really sing. To do that I first need to build a Buildcraft Assembly Table. This is pretty annoying to figure out, I don't think I made it right it is very slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whbtjlK-0uc
This was mine in FTB IE expert, eventually filled in all the walls with lasers

Can never have enough lasers

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Modular Powersuits, an excellent mod, looks like it's now on 1.10.2 and I already have it in my pack :c00lbutt:

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
GRIMDARK is a reponse to getting bored with the current lineup of FTB packs, they're really not pushing any boundaries or doing anything new. They also won't include too many mods, especially not ones that add *gasp* entities!!!1. I can only assume this is a desire not to upset the fragile ecosystem of lovely re-sold Minecraft server hosting plans, so you end up not getting exposure to all that's available. It includes everything in those packs and more, so it's also possibly the most up to date collection of available 1.10.2 mods, 280 of them. There's recipe changes made to showcase the different mods, which I'm expanding to put it somewhere between normal and "expert mode" difficulty.

The pack actively encourages you to gain resources through exploration, combat, and automation but that doesn't mean you can't stripmine if you find it relaxing. I thought that after 8 years of mining some people might want an alternative that isn't a skyblock.

frenzy fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 16, 2017

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Project Red is on 1.10.2 and indeed brings back the volcanoes, also Thaumcraft should be dropping on 1.10.2 soon

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Threep posted:

Some things never change apparently. The FTB dudes are currently busy arguing on reddit that Quark letting you place a downward ladder more conveniently is way too overpowered and had to be taken out.

Modding Minecraft is too complex an artform for laypeople to grasp the intricacies of ladder balance, better leave it up to the pros

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Turning off mipmaps might fix it?

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I have 8gb, I allocate 7gb and somehow Win10 survives with 20+ tabs open in Firefox. You should be able to load it with 4-5gb though, something else is going on.

Sometimes with an issue like that you can induce a crash a report by using ctrl+alt+del to kill the process. Make sure the only Java you have installed is 64bit Java 8.

hop in the discord, I can help troubleshoot.

frenzy fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 19, 2017

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

CrazyTolradi posted:

What are you using to get TPS to show up in F3?

That's debugserverinfo

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Toadsmash posted:

I had to give up on Grimdark.

I can worldgen ok locally, server worldgens even better (by which I mean barely manages), but a lot of world is already generated, at least out to ~4k

It's the mods that add dungeons causing most of the strain, this is why roguelikes only appear in the nether and end. I'm looking for something that does pre-generation out to a specified radius, that would be perfect

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I haven't seen anything like drawbridges on 1.10. I always wondered if they copied those from Keepcraft because that was the first place I saw them

how do you feel about these doors

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I miss teleport pipes too, tbh

Serifina is right on about AE2, I'll also reiterate the power of the interface is unmatched by anything in RS unless they added something. but, if you're not playing an "expert" pack that requires you to automate tons of crap then it probably doesn't matter and you can keep using RS with it's cheap knock off feel and crappy crafting monitor

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Dareon posted:

I've found I got kind of used to being able to generate all the resources I needed with bees, and now I just groan when I realize I need to go mining again. The problem is, I don't want to spend hours breeding bees. Mystical Agriculture looks promising, but I'm also a little iffy on mods adding several new resources I need to go mine. Would someone mind giving me a rundown on it, how hard it is to start up, and if it plays well with Agricraft?

I don't think there's native support for Mystical Agriculture from AgriCraft yet, but someone out there has probably written the scripts for it, and I'd love to get my hands on them. Chickens with Hatchery might be worth checking out

edit- I made a modpack that goes out if its way to give alternatives to actually mining, it's over here

frenzy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 29, 2017

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
at this point any decent pack is going to have recipes for processors and presses. Setting up AE2 is repetitive yes, as are most complex tasks involving multiple steps

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
AE2 crafting monitor will tell you exactly what's holding up a job, which makes sense for a thing that monitors crafting

Invasion sounded good on paper but the execution was lacking, I tried the Raiders mod and all it does is spam the chat with raiders names (which are streamers) killing each other. Do you have to put up with that in Invasion too?

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Seems like any mod that moves items around tends to need to be chunkloaded, Like how EnderIO conduits need to be re-placed to get them to work if you're on a server and didn't chunkload them and left for a while

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
If it's just a jar, what's stopping someone that paid for access from releasing it?

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I've seen "one chunk challenges" going around for skyblocks, yea, probably a bunch of examples on the tubes

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Sounds like you found some ripoffs or something, they shouldn't be that expensive. also lol at the idea of Minecraft eating SSDs

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Heads up if anyone is interested Buildcraft just got updated to 1.11.2.

Edit: And oh my the comment section on the Curse page has already devolved into arguing because it skipped 1.10.2.

someone already posted potato gnishes. I think Buildcraft going to 1.11.2 is a good thing because it'll help ensure other mods do not get left on 1.10.2

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Modded minecraft as we know it does not exist on mobile platforms, though it will have a marketplace soon with minecraft coins, so I think that's where the masses are heading

And for the love of god, teach your children to play FPS games with a keyboard / mouse

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Immersive Engineering's style, polish and the fact that it does multi-block structures and machines for nearly everything sets it apart and makes it an example for what every other mod should be doing, especially with multi-block machines and generators.

I think the problem with goons straying away from Minecraft has to do with it being hilarious to associate Minecraft with autism so most people just kind of assume modded Minecraft must be awful and not one of the greatest things you can do with your gaming time. Then those same people get stuck in FTB modpacks because they think that's the pinnacle of modded Minecraft and the precious few hours they have not toiling away at a 9-5 cannot be lost to playing a modpack that ten thousand idiots hasn't already downloaded and shitposted about on reddit

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Vic's Modern Warfare is good stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAU4p28TJE

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
GRIMDARK has 250+ mods and runs fine on my 8gb with 5gb allocated, maybe I'm special

FoamFix (even anarchy) is on the approved 3rd party mod list from curseforge so you can put them in a pack

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I don't think Mekanism is bad at all, it could use some improvements like making it's pipes work better with other mods but as it stands it's a good replacement for if you're bored of IC2 after how many years and want some of the same functionality with the added bonus of the option to set up a system that will automate 5x ore processing

Also I feel it's important to recognize that not all mods that add mobs are bad, and entities causing lag is because you're running Minecraft on a re-sold server hosting plan where you're sharing a 2ghz CPU with 5 other "servers". Minecraft NEEDS more mobs very much imho, it's just there's this stigma that comes from doing certain things in Minecraft because people like to use cheap hardware and Minecraft definitely isn't the pinnacle of Java optimization

frenzy fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 18, 2017

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
That negative effect scales proportionally to the power of the CPU involved, with the right hardware you can get enough mobs spawning that you have a lot of variety and no lag. The bigger issue is mob mods overwriting or adding mobs in weird ways so that they mess with each other's spawn rates, and there's no good unification system for this yet that I've found

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I haven't been real concerned with the different ores generating in the world because all the ores are compatible with each other via oredict, there's a block that will literally convert the types, mining isn't the point of GRIMDARK, putting different ore types through a storage drawer will convert them to the same type and I like the variety of having the different types when I'm exploring

With all that being said, I have recently added unidict and am in the process of unifying the worldgen because people like to get stuck on silly stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Datasmurf posted:

Not all are uniform. The ore / ingots from Modern Warfare don't play well with others. Or rather, others won't play well with MW. :P

yea this is what had me going after the ore unification in the first place, this mod not adding it's stuff to the oredict. I killed off modern warfare's oregen in the world, and am trying to get unidict (or I'll find some other mod) to let me add the MW steel plates to the steel plate oredict so people can use the mod seamlessly and enjoy the sweet 3d models and blood effects and all that.