Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Some friends and I used to play Minecraft pretty regularly years ago. We all really loved the Blightfall mod. I loaded up the technic launcher and it looks like basically nothing has changed at all in the years since we played last. Has modding for this game stopped or something? If not has anything new like Blightfall been made in the years since we last played that we could load up a server on and play as a group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I definitely noticed and appreciated the hand crafted map aspect. Stuff like that underwater temple/garden that told a story about what happened in the world before you showed up, or the entire blood magic quest line of the guy responsible for it still trying to claw his way back.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Started up a SevTech Ages server with some friends. We all finally got to log in, but nobody has any advancements in the quest/advancement/log screen thingy the pack tells us to open up and start following. Anybody have a clue what's up?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I still can't get SevTech to start showing us progression quests. The menu just says something like "nothing here to see :(" and we can't do anything.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eventually fixed the SevTech no progression thing. It's apparently a known issue and you have to restart the server once to kick it in the rear end and force it to catch up.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i tried it, i can't seem to get into it

It's a bit old at this point but I still really, really like Blightfall.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Good God how do I beat the Hydra in SevTech? It has dug itself into a decent hole in the ground that is littered with corpses I can't get back because even trying to get down to retrieve them (forget about fighting it) means I'm going to get a flame breath to the face and get dropped like a sack of wet potatoes. The damage it puts out is just loving obscene, and it's only getting worse with more heads loving me up with more fire breath. None of the other bosses were anywhere near this difficult.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

McFrugal posted:

Don't get hit by the fire, don't stand in the fire, bounce the bombs back at it, fire arrows into open mouths when possible. Why is it in a hole in the ground? None of its attacks break blocks.

Whatever the trick for avoiding the stream-of-fire breath is I've never figured it out. Only thing I've managed to avoid that is to be out of the max range, which apparently makes it invincible and then eventually the fucker starts regenerating whatever damage I've managed to do between running in and out constantly.

Some of its attacks are definitely breaking blocks because it dug itself in to a huge rear end hole in the ground in response to me trying to use walls to hide from that breath. It spits out a third type of attack that isn't flame breath or explodey spheres. They just hit the ground and blow up like a creeper, digging the hole deeper and making the fight ever more impossible.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Guess I just got lovely unlucky. Got loving insta-smashed the first time by flame breath. Made me paranoid about the fight and every attempt to work around that or cheese it since has made everything worse every step of the way.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Iron armor, a sentient sword with enough will to hit pretty hard and a middling tinker's construct bow. First try was "ok, try it in melee, dodge the stuff, chop the legs" Guess he bites or something at that range and I was one-shot. Figured "ok it's a ranged boss then, try it that way." Invincibility and flame breath ensued. Trying to cheese it on subsequent attempts dug a giant hole in the ground then I just gave up and asked here.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Gonna go back and get some more naga scales if I can. Can you wander around and find more nagas? I didn't get enough scales from just the one for the quest to make a full set of armor.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Came back with some armara perks, an infused crystal sword, naga armor, regen potions and even combat carved a blaze totem for fire resist. Whooped the poo poo out of that hydra, then spent three hours looking for another because it wasn't enough blood.

Made it to age 3 at least! Ur-ghast tower can eat my butt hole. Finally gave up on the stupid no-build reappearing puzzles, nerd poled past the entire tower with half an inventory of cobble.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Still really enjoying SevTech. I was childishly thrilled to watch a metal press punch out the first few ingot because it means I don't have to do them on a stone anvil or cast them one by one anymore.

Wife just rolled her eyes at me.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I actually did exactly that at one point. I had a straight up medieval castle looking bastion of safety with a moat (No water, it was for keeping out zombies), parapets for skeleton archers, punji traps along the bottom for spiders and so on.

Then it got super easy to make torches and I wanted easier access to darkland for gem farming so I moved. Now I can go back and look at the primitive hovel I used to live in with it's quaint stone grill and horse powered equipment.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

McFrugal posted:

Protip: shoggoth statues have a block at the base that serves as a spawner for the shoggoths, and it eventually runs out. Heavy shoggoth infestations can be dealt with by spawning 5-6, running away to despawn them, then running back to repeat the process.

You can also mine a few of the anti-shoggoth blocks that make up the area, make yourself a little tunnel and just punch the blocks. They break like they're tree branches or something and then it's all done.

Or build yourself little boltholes, lock them in, let them build statues, reach in and grab the statues.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Taking a few friends through Blightfall can be fun. Don't know that it is the absolute first thing I'd jump in to MineCraft with as it might be a bit overwhelming but it's definitely a fun experience.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Wonder what straight PvP like KeepCraft would be like with some newer stuff like the combat over haul and tinker's construct tools.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Never found a way to repair sentient swords, and it was the best way to get will that I found. That being said I dropped sentient swords like a bad habit once I got to Astral Sorcery imbued crystal swords. 14 attack at 2 attack speed I think? Plus a huge AoE that wrecks poo poo every few swings.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So, dumb question time. What exactly is a skyblock mod? What ever it is I don't think I've ever played one so the phrase is somewhat confusing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is plummeting to your death a part of a skyblock mod or do you start off flying? I am apparently clumsy in Minecraft and either screenshot I've seen so far seems like it would last me about ten seconds before I have the only bucket of lava available to me at the bottom of a void.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

runchild posted:

Yeah, falling off is part of the fun I think, but only if you have keep inventory on or add Forgiving Void to the pack (and that should either be set to the zero damage mode or be combined with a grave mod that will keep your stuff from falling off the edge). Going “aw goddamit...oh well” is fun. Having to cheat in what you lost is not. Also it gives you design challenges to engage with like mitigating the risk of falling, building downwards, etc.

Any good skyblock should include crooks for just this reason.

How DO you build downwards? I've never managed it unless I can get underneath the block to start with.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Speaking of inventory tips and tricks, the last time I played (a good while ago) there was an option to type something and both your inventory and any inventories you have open would shade out anything that didn't match, so you could find one type of ore powder in a chest with a million others for example. The just enough items screen in game looks almost identical to what I remember, but I swear I cannot find that functionality. Am I being dumber than usual?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I actually really like the MultiMC launcher listed in the OP better than twitch.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So, SevTech and going to mars. Now I need boosters for a tier 2 rocket, boosters require methane, methane producer requires liquid hydrogen or an atmosphere valve. Atmosphere valve is locked behind desh from mars, hydrogen nothing apparently makes. Halp?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Rynoto posted:

Sevtech has spoiled me with the cheap-ish 1 square upgrade-able tanks with hundreds of thousands buckets worth of capacity.

Crikey which ones are these? Probably a good 10-20% of my base is huge rear end metal panel tanks from interactive engineering.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A custom map was one of the things that made Blightfall a fantastic experience. Little stories told here and there of the old civilization were really enjoyable to find, and having things set up in the world to help out the questing instead of the necessarily generic approach of generated maps helped the progression.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I didn't use very much soul steel at all. Think there was one thing for a quest advancement and then I ignored it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I know waaaay back in the day AE had an add on that interfaced with Thaumcraft and could store the fifty different types of warded jars of essentia in the network. Does that even still exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Those flux rifts can be important if you want to get in to the further parts of Thaumcraft. You need to scan an, umm, void pearl I think it's called? First place to get them is rifts. To make them suck less I usually try not to overflow a crucible since they tend to be in your base and, as you saw, the rifts can kinda suck.

I tend to end up with a poo poo ton of extra metallum from harvesting praecontitio, take a warded jar full of scrap essentia you're not using a few chunks away from your base, drop it and shift right click it to empty it in to the atmosphere right where you are. Gives you two or three rifts on demand in a safe area you choose.