Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Acne Rain posted:

I would like a minecraft mod where trash management is a thing and there are also possums that get into your trash modded in as a mob

If you leave enough trash out long enough you get bears.

Don't gently caress with bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghostlight posted:

I was going to say, I had to do that because I have an old 120G SSD that's starting to creak under the weight of my Program Files contents, but what possible reason is there to partition anymore?

Well I for one install Windows on one partition and keep anything I don't want to lose on another one. Granted I also usually have multiple drives in the computer. Even so, if you pile Windows on one drive/partition and put your other crap on another one it makes it easier to wipe the OS and start over if you need to. Probably an old habit that isn't all that necessary anymore.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CrazyTolradi posted:

With the advent of SSD's, I can't imagine why you'd want to be piling poo poo on your OS drive. I haven't used partitioning since I started using SSD's. As for everything else, why bother? If the drive dies, partitions won't save your poo poo.

It's a matter of if the OS gets hosed up somehow rather than the drive dying. Granted dead drives are why I have multiple drives and keep backups of everything I'd be sad if I lost. Periodically reinstalling Windows is a good idea and just plain easier if you can thoughtlessly wipe the drive it's on. Granted that also depends on how you use your computer; if you use it for Minecraft, Word, e-mail, and not much else it's not an issue but all the crap you install can build up over time and destroy performance. Older Windows versions also had issues if you left them installed too long. Less of an issue these days but in the past it was kind of a big deal.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bigperm posted:

Is there anything in forestry that people still like?

The backpacks that automatically sort crap for you are p. nice.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Sometimes I wonder if a Minecraft clone could be successful by nothing other than having a less painful inventory system. Seriously Minecraft's is just dumb as hell and mods that make it less bad only ever manage to accomplish that; less bad. Or hide the nice backpacks behind needless amounts of tedium.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I like "Shiny Metal." Why yes metal does, in fact, tend to be shiny. What is special about this variety?

Yes I know that it's actually platinum but it still amuses me. Call the metal shiny to differentiate it from all the non-shiny metal. That there is so much of.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

We should just have 30 different ores named "metal ore." Seven of them should all be tin.

Minecraft modding in a nutshell. Why, for the love of all things holy, are there modpacks with seven varieties of copper, five varieties of tin, and six aluminums, none of which stack with each other and are all functionally identical? Like I can get if a mod wants their own form of unobtanium to make all the crap for but we don't need 27 varieties of copper.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

If I can bother you guys for some Thaumcraft help: I'm progressing through the research nicely, but it's the crafting that I have trouble with - I never seem to have the right vis for what I want to craft.

Right now I'm just flying around using a jetpack, trying to find nodes and draining them with my crappy iron wand, looking for the right stuff to upgrade it to a crappy copper wand. I've seen a ton of guides on how to progress through the reasearch, but none on how to get the vis you want.

Also, is there a way to drain the wand of vis or maybe place the appropriate vis in the arcane workbench? I have two wands but none have the combination of the vis I want to use.

This mod is fun but can be frustrating.

Beat up mobs and then wave your dick wand around. The little orbs are vis.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think the best way to deal with "dig hole -> never leave" would be to make nasties that can burrow or knock blocks around. The issue there is that that leads to frustration as they ruin things the player painstakingly built. You can deal with that by making some stuff indestructible but then it becomes a game of "make an indestructible cube nothing can spawn within." Even then you still end up with the typical Minecraft end game of "I am unkillable and can grind mobs forever with no effort."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jvie posted:

I found Blightfall's teleport network to be pretty good solution. I intend the world to be pretty large so there's room to hide stuff. Would it sound annoying to have a cost attached to the teleporters? I thought of it like, the first N waypoints are free to activate but after that you need to feed energy into the network or any waypoints past the first ones get deactivated. I'd ike there to be stuff for the player to actually use their resources and big reactors for rather than just watch energy cells fill up.

Teleporters are probably what I'll go with. Altough if Thermal Dynamics gets updated with those transport pipes...

Edit:
I'll try to implement a kiddie waterslide at some point if it doesn't turn out to be a massive pain. I might sound like I'm serious about this project but trust me, I just want to put all of my stupid ideas into Minecraft.

I think a good way to do it would be to have a some "basic" teleporters that can get you around places but they aren't all that convenient for the real meat. Then you have damaged teleporters that you can tag and teleport to once you get to them but can't teleport from them until they are fixed, which can be various degrees of expensive. Lastly what about a rare-ish item that, when combined into a recipe more expensive than any repair job, lets the player make their own teleporters? Or possibly just have player teleporters be very expensive.

You could have the player teleporters be something on the level of degenerate technology. The theoretical understanding of the teleporters is there but whoever built them had access to some knowledge the player doesn't. The teleporters already there power themselves and will, at most, need some light maintenance (to make it cost resources you can have the fixable teleporters break and need a little bit of metal or something from time to time - don't make it a often or a lot, that would be irritating) along the way. Player teleporters would require some RF and semi-regular repair because they're crude, brute force versions of the other ones.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jvie posted:

Dividing teleporters to something like transporters and beacons sounds good. I'll probably make ones placeable by players dungeon loot. Having the teleporters require visiting them for repairs sounds like it'd make players angry but I'll probably make the network have some needs you can pipe in through any node of it.

What I was figuring on was using it as a mild resource sink if players teleport a lot. As in, if you teleport to a secondary or tertiary beacon a lot it has a small chance to break. If it breaks you need to feed it some resources to teleport away from it. What I was figuring on was that you can teleport to anything you've visited all the time but some things can prevent you from teleporting from.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you sure you want his formatting and comments?

You're assuming that he comments at all. Granted no programmer ever comments enough (I'm guilty of that too, of course) but modders are not always actually trained coders. Plus the :siren: MY VISION :siren: crap means they don't want you to read their code and fix their problems. Aside from that how many modders are egotistical twits that can't admit they're ever wrong? Probably the most important thing about learning to code is realizing that literally all code is bad, especially your own, and it's a very, very good idea to have more people than just you looking at it to find bugs or idiotic things you did.

I get the feeling they're a lot like the bad art students I've seen where they'll produce garbage work but then just say "well it's just my style!"

It's also possible that a lot of modders just don't know how to debug or decided that it's too hard. How many modders view it as a hobby and only want to do the fun parts? Debugging is thankless, tedious, and awful but it needs to be done.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Glory of Arioch posted:

in a single player world you might not have cheats on, which means NEI cant help you

if so then yeah switch to lan mode with cheats on then give yourself the item

NEI can help you with cheats off but you need to switch from GLOBAL to WORLD and right click on the W beside the cheat/utility/recipe mode setting. If you change GLOBAL to cheat mode but have the world use its own setting rather than the global ones you can't cheat anything in. But if you switch WORLD to cheat mode or have it run on GLOBAL and have cheat mode on there you can cheat stuff in.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Danny Glands posted:

I wonder why people continue to give GregTech any focus seeing as it's --as I understand it-- some whiny brat's way of making sure no one else can make any progress on his server.

What I'd like to know is what possibly made him think that MAXIMUM TEDIUM MODE!!!!! was the least bit fun. When I'm playing Minecraft I don't want it to be realistic or like a job. I want to make huge buildings, hook up fancy machines, and beat up monsters.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nevets posted:

Yeah, it's disabled in that pack. Be very sure before planting your saplings, you can't get them back.

No but you can spam sapling requests and get a lot of them. They aren't all that rare and it isn't an expensive request. You only really need one fruit tree of any given kind.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CrazyTolradi posted:

There is a subset of gamers who really do enjoy "work simulators" and for some reason, the more tedium and grind they have to do, the more they love it. The idea people might play games purely for fun seems to escape or enrage them.

I think another side of it is that when you gate end game content behind endless grinding they feel like they've earned it and are offended at people who have that level of fun with less effort.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Black Pants posted:

Or Firefox which gets a new major build number each update.

Build numbers are pretty arbitrary and up to whoever makes them. The general rule is "higher = newer" but beyond that who the hell knows.

There are open source projects that have been on version 0.X for over a decade. Check out PuTTY!

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Created in 1999, used all over the drat place. Still version 0, still in beta.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

I tried to watch a Direwolf20 video about AE2 and I fell asleep before he got to the part where I am able to store things. I went low-tech. Meet the Storage Box 3000™ It's basically just a cube of Drawers with a Drawer Controller on top to dump everything in. Double sided for extra storage! I got a couple Barrels for the Cobblestone, as it wouldn't all fit in a drawer:

You can build drawer upgrades that bump up the capacity like mad. I think they can get up to thousands of stacks.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Buildcraft also really, really shows its age. It's long since lost its luster compared to shinier, newer things.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Avaritia comes equipped with armor that makes you immune to literally everything. If you can make it, that is.

Granted people going "we have to counter this mod because this mod is too OP" are completely missing the point and that's hilarious. Everything in Avaritia takes a thoroughly insane amount of resources to make and is about as powerful as something can possibly be. The Thaumcraft wand has infinite everything, the sword one-shots everything, the armor makes you invincible, and so forth. It's meant to make fun of the power creep that's been going on in modding by taking it to its logical extreme.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

McFrugal posted:

Where do you think you're going to find an untainted villager?

It's easy to untaint villagers. I had like 40 of them all locked up in a box when I played Blightfall. I put a bunch of hungry chests under them as they occasionally poop out emeralds. Also if I ever needed more emeralds I could just trade them bread and cooked chickens or whatever.

I just grabbed untainted villagers with the safari net launcher, dragged them home, and then...I think it was a wand focus? Anyway it was a repeatable way to clear taint. Not very useful for fighting back the taint all told but it could untaint mobs. Came in handy. Once I had a few reusable safari nets it was stupidly easy to go clear villages of their villagers then bring them home and cure them.

...then lock them in a box forever for their emeralds because apparently I'm terrible.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I can't imagine playing Blightfall as anything other than a small group all cooperating together. The fact that so many vital resources spawn in small, finite quantities on the map means that groups that don't work together won't be able to complete the map.

You can get basically all of that stuff from renewable sources with the right toys. Laser drills eat a lot of power and can be a pain to set up properly but I imagine a couple of them could keep a crew going forever.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
A few of the silverwood trees there do have regular, pure nodes like normal. Most of them don't so if you're equipped to deal with the taint swarms then chopping a bunch of them down is a good idea.

Not all of the silverwood trees you plant have nodes either. Sometimes they get one, sometimes they don't.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

thinking on it (why did i think on it) bees appeal to the player that wants stuff that grants them free resources forever with no upkeep or thought beyond the initial setup

see also: solar power, EE

Aren't bees unbelievably tedious to get going? Free resources forever is nice and automating free resources shouldn't be an easy thing you can do in the early game but getting that sort of thing set up should actually be a fun and neat thing to do. Maybe it's a building challenge. Maybe it's basically a logic puzzle involving machines. Every time I think to myself "now I will try bees!" it never works out that way. I just find other stuff to do and never get around to bees.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Don't do it in the crucible. Research a bit farther down that tree and get the apparatus set up.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Really if it cleaned a bigger area and wasn't so drat buggy to move it would have been great.

It also acts like a chunk loader so you can just leave it there to chug along and do its thing, by the way.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I just always turned into a cow because, gently caress it, moo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Devor posted:

The most annoying end game grind in the kitchen sink packs is always the one where you have to make a singularity of each metal and combine them all in a Giant Crafting Table to make the infinity ingots or whatever McGuffin

It's like making a couple dozen Envirotech miners, except you power them with EMC instead of power

Sounds like you're talking about Avaritia. The entire point of that mod was to take everything to a completely absurd logical extreme. It's a loving parody, really.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Minecraft is a sandbox game so if you want to build a big, fancy kitchen then...hey, knock yourself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Patware posted:

galacticraft planets really needed... new mobs

"all the old mobs with helmets" DOESN'T CUT IT

If there was anything at all to do on the other planets it would be a better mod. Instead you rocket off into space to...run lovely dungeons and dig all the way down for a new kind of metal so you can fly off to somewhere further away and do the same thing again. Woo.