Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Has anyone tried Agrarian Skies 2? I had a blast with Agrarian Skies last year and I'm feeling a skyblock kind of itch again. Material Energy kind of bummed me out because you start with a whole enormous base already built. But AS2 doesn't seem to be available in any launchers, and :effort:. Any similar start-with-nothing skyblock packs to recommend, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Re: Thaumcraft research, there's an option in the config file to disable the minigame but keep the research point costs.

code:
    # 0 = normal, -1 = easy (all research items are directly purchased with RP), 1 = Hard (all research items need to be solved via the research table)
    I:research_difficulty=-1

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Did someone ask for an "interesting" hunger system? :q:

TerraFirmaCraft posted:

Every piece of food consists of five separate taste categories: Sweet, Sour, Salty, Bitter, and Savory. These taste values are affected by changes to the food such as cooking, salting, pickling, etc. For crops, the taste of the harvested product is dependent on the pH and drainage levels of the area.

The tastier the food, the more saturation it will give. When making a sandwich or salad, all of the tastes of the individual ingredients are added together to determine the taste of the final result.

Sandwiches have a minimum required weight of 7 oz. The type of bread used in the bread slot determines the icon of the finished sandwich. The remaining four ingredients can be any combination of food that means the minimum weight requirement that does not repeat a specific base ingredient. For example: Carrot, Carrot, Tomato, Potato is not a valid combination because Carrot is repeated twice. 

For the majority of food, the decay level is represented via the durability bar on the item, as well as a numerical percentage on the tool-tip. The exception to this rule is milk, which has a tool-tip message of Fresh, Old, or Sour. The durability bar is green during the first 10% of decay, and then turns red. The rate at which a piece of food decays is dependent on the item, as well as the ambient temperature. Light levels affect temperature, so the best place to store food is in a cool, dark place.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Side question, is anybody here running modded Minecraft on Linux? Can Technic really support it? I can trust that vanilla is working, but I have misgivings about mods and modloaders doing goofy things like hardcoding paths.

Yeah, I play on Linux most of the time. Never had any problems, with any launcher including Technic. These days even the LWJGL crap just works without any tweaking.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Volatile Penguin posted:

Are there any simple "put a stack of whatever in, it crafts nine of them together" machines/blocks out there? I'm sure there are at least some but I'm not familiar with them.

Autopackager is a standalone one.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Ship it!

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

McFrugal posted:

...so apparently if you right-click on stone with a hammer, you get prospecting readings. THAT is how you're supposed to find ore. Doesn't work on dirt though.

I wonder how large the prospecting radius is?

It's 5x5x5 blocks :smith:

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

I have difficulty building anything but giant rectangular warehouses, but I try to at least make the lighting look good. Covering everything in torches is awful and none of the Chisel alternative torches look good either IMO. Thaumcraft Arcane Lamps are awesome, but they're expensive and take a long time to get to. Lately I've been embedding Extra Utilities Colored Glowstone in the floor and walls and that looks nice.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

GregTech New Horizons reminder: check the worldgen config before spending hours searching for ore in the wrong dimension :shepicide:

(Contrary to the defaults I've been referring to on the FTB wiki, galena/lead is disabled in the overworld. It's also had the minimum height reduced so it's possible for it to generate in the Twilight Forest)

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

GT:NH question: You need all 6 types of shard to craft the Thaumometer and start researching. Do I really have to go digging for hours in the Twilight Forest looking for all 6 different types of rare ore vein, or is there some alternative method of getting shards that I missed?

(Yes I loaded up XRay but I'm trying to do it without, damnit :arghfist:)

e: gently caress it, never mind. xray it is

Nomikos fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 27, 2016

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Gregtech new horizons trip report, in case anyone cares.
"Realistic World Gen" claims to support Thaumcraft biomes, but in fact it doesn't loving work no matter how much you tweak the biome weights and re-generate the world and fly around in creative mode, crying. Why did I pick it??? I finally gave up again and cheated in the stupid drat Vishrooms I was looking for.

I hate Minecraft and I hate myself, good night

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

McFrugal posted:

Minecarts are only useful when used as a fast travel mechanism, which means the time spent putting down tracks must eventually be made up for by repeated trips down the tracks. Which means there needs to be some reason to repeatedly access a location. In the case of a large ore deposit being the reason for repeated visits, you would also need to be unable to bring back a large portion of it at once. Which means reducing the maximum stack size for ore. Minecarts with chests can then be used to let you take back more ore per trip, further reducing travel time. I've played in packs before that reduced stack size for ore, but it was not combined with large ore deposits or the need for large amounts of ore, so I *still* didn't use minecarts. I have yet to play a pack that gives me a reason to use minecarts in single player.

TechNodefirmacraft pretty much fits this bill. Ore gen is TFC, so it's big deposits a long way from each other. Ore pieces only stack to 16 and you need 4 ores to make an ingot. The pack includes Immersive Engineering as the major tech goal so you need massive quantities of metal. And in TFC travel on foot tends to be more difficult (or at least more time-consuming).

It was fun when I played it last year and it looks like there have been a few big updates since then. I did in fact end up building a railway to a few of my distant mines and using it regularly.

e: drat, now I want to abandon my Gregtech game and do this pack again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has anybody had specific reasons to use Thermal Dynamics retrievers in particular before?

To automate Ex Nihilo barrels producing Soul Sand or Dirt. They take a little while to process, so you want to have a bunch of them, and they don't auto-eject. Instead of putting a servo on every barrel it's easier to have just a single retriever (or I guess one for every few dozen barrels if you have that many and it can't keep up)