Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I tried getting started with FeedTheBeast after watching a couple twitch streams. My previous minecraft experience was pretty limited and never got to the endgame since there wasn't much going on. FTB is kind of overwhelming with what's going on, and the tutorial/quest aspect of Blightfall looks like it'll be pretty helpful.

Is there anything I should know before I get too far into Blightfall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Wolfsbane posted:

One thing to be aware of is that it will also fill in underground caverns, so don't do what I did and fill in your entire power station.

Reading this made my palms sweaty. Thanks for that.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
What are the payoffs from Botania and Thaumcraft? Botania in particular I think I looked through all the effect flowers and I don't see anything super-worth all the effort. Although perhaps I just misunderstand the value of some of the effects they give. Are there other usable items and things that pay off all the work?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I've got the components of Babby's First ME Network setup, but now I need to power it. After my aborted attempts before finding the Vibration Chamber that could power my Crystal Growth Accelerators, I'm a little dubious about this. And it doesn't help that the generators I'm seeing all have caveats about blowing up.

Is there a simple, efficient-ish generator that I can use to power my ME network? The Vibration Chamber eats insane amounts of fuel, too.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Glory of Arioch posted:

What mods do you have? The Energy Acceptor from AE accepts RF power.

Oh, I'm running FTB. I have a few RF things set up, I'll see about shoving some of those next to an energy acceptor.

For the RF dealies, is there a good progression to use to transition up from shoving stacks of Scaffolding?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

McFrugal posted:

There's more than one FTB modpack. Do you mean FTB Infinity?

Let's see... yes. FTB Infinity.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I'm trying to use / commands in the chat in FTB Departed, single player. One of the tips that pops up on load gave a command for setting my inventory keeping on death. But I can't seem to get that command to work, although I can get the default /xp command to work.

I feel like I'm missing something, and the answers I've found with google have not worked so far:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I'm slowly easing into FTB Infinity, and I just set up babby's first self-sufficient 25x25 tree farm with harvester/planter (underestimating how fast trees naturally grow, and how slow a harvester can go in comparison). It's just using JABBA barrels, steam dynamos, and a sludge boiler. So right now I'm building up insane reserves of wood, moderately stupid reserves of charcoal, and slowly accumulating saplings.

Is there anything interesting to do with charcoal or wood? I didn't really see a way to process them into a useful liquid fuel. I see the saplings can go in a refinery setup, or just shoved in a bioreactor, but I'm not sure I want to dive into that area yet. And definitely not using saplings as the medium.

Are there other more useful crops to use as a jumping-off point for making fuel?

Also, is there a sustainable way to power a Big Reactor? I have some decent stores of Yellorium from exploring, but I don't think my regular quarry would keep my slightly-oversized Big Reactor in yellorium easily, and would need babysitting to keep moving the quarry around. Do I need to make the step to an actively cooled Big Reactor with the turbine multiblock? Or do I just need to make the switch over to Biofuel or something else?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Anias posted:

You can do the mining laser thing in infinity to get yellorium to make bigger reactors to get the RF to build more mining lasers to get more yellorium...Stop when you're bored.

Is this the laser drill, rather than mining laser? So am I understanding right that if I slap a Yellow Laser Focus on it, it will only spit out Gold/Glowstone/Yellorite/those three other yellow ones?

Also, I was failing to realize that you can use control rods to easily scale down production and consumption of fuel, so now I can just run at 10% unless I need to fire up all my industry at once.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Ha, I tried to get in Thaumcraft semi-blind. Okay, I see I'm combining essences. Research points, okay, that's my resource, cool.

Okay, now unlock a new research item in the Thaumonicon, and oh, a puzzle minigame that wastes this resource when you get it wrong? For every research item? Fuuuuuck that.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
A few questions about pipes for moving items in FTB: Infinity Evolved:

I did my first experimenting using one of the visible types of pipe that show the items moving through them, but I had some trouble wrangling the connections to chest and machine outputs, and I discovered the EnderIO Item Conduits were so much easier to configure and attach to things. And with speed upgrades they can move serious quantities of items.

Are there any applications where other item pipes outperformed EnderIO Item Conduits - aside from wanting to eyeball the pretty items moving through the pipe?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Watching some FTB Infinity Evolved streams, I noticed a lot of them use teleport systems inside their base where they will jump (maybe?) or look down at a block and sneak/activate it, to sort of jury-rig an elevator system.

What is that system?

I know there's also Mystcraft intra-linking, but right clicking and selecting feels inelegant.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sage Grimm posted:

For the biofuel generator, when I was using that exclusively I just had a number of farms and had the excess pushed to it. You're going to have a hard time 'balancing' harvest to generator input since growth is RNG based, although you could reduce the physical footprint using fertilizer machines. The only problem is producing enough fertilizer to keep up!

In FT Infinity Evolved, If I'm using a Cyclic Assembler to do Garlic + Eggplant + Bakeware(not consumed), how can I balance things so that I don't keep accumulating eggplants til it fills up? Or at least get those eggplants out before that happens.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Serifina posted:

Use a Retriever to pull to the assembler, instead of using a servo to send them. Set it to hold exactly xx (like 32 or 64 or whatever) of each one. As it uses them, the Retriever will call more from the duct network.

Thanks, looks interesting. I used Itemducts a little bit first getting into automation, but had so much trouble getting it to hook up correctly that I gave up. Good reason to revisit them over the usual Item conduits.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Serifina posted:

Use a Retriever to pull to the assembler, instead of using a servo to send them. Set it to hold exactly xx (like 32 or 64 or whatever) of each one. As it uses them, the Retriever will call more from the duct network.

Success!

My stumbling block was that the retrievers default to only on with redstone signal. Smooth sailing after that keeping a max stack of 32. This is much more awesome for crafting.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Update on my 1-chunk stacked building of fun stuff:

Tree farm on the roof seemed like a good idea. Trees need lots of room to grow. Farm worked great! HOWEVER, snow started fouling squares. Eventually winter would consume all.

But there is an engineering solution to every problem, some less elegant than others

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

Test Pack Please Ignore 2....... what a name. and the pack code has no spaces. Ill be giving it a try too. I am pretty sure i looked at Simply Magic, but didnt like it for some reason.....

Test _____ Please Ignore is kind of like Reddit's equivalent of LLJK or Do You Have Stairs.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Note that if you're a Cheaty McCheaterson and use /spawn to warp back to your home from a Mystcraft dimension, it can break some things, I forget what. Maybe Journeymap waypoints? I think a re-log, or re-changing dimensions the proper way fixes it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
It's amazing how many cool things exist in mods that I have absolutely no clue about. Watching Wyld's stream of Project Ozone looked fun, so I tried it out. Was having trouble with storing all the Ex-Nihilo cracked ores/sands/dusts, then saw he was using some big shelf system that can store like 18 chests in one big pseudo-chest, the Shelving Unit or something like that. Very neat.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bouchacha posted:

How do I set molten fluid filters on Pneumo Servo attached to a fluiduct? I tried left/right/middle clicking the blank space and dragging stuff from NEI but the only thing that I got to happen was burning myself when I right-clicked some cheated molten gold I was carrying.

Try using a bucket of the fluid

http://ftbwiki.org/Filter_%28Thermal_Dynamics%29

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Uh oh, you mined Asbestos Ore. The fibers are now in your character's lungs, and in 4 hours of gametime your character will be permanently deleted, due to lung cancer.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

Im currently doing skyfactory 2. And enjoying that. It isnt much of a grind fest, though waiting for your first few trees is pretty horrible. Im sort of waking up thinking what i can do now to make progress.

Does skyfactory have the mod where you can tap 'sneak' really fast to make trees grow? I know at least some of the modern skyblocks have that. It makes green sparklies when it's working.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Been a while since I did the crystal growth accelerator setup, I think I must be missing something. I have the Accelerators placed, ME Glass Cable connecting their tops, and then tried for power: Sterling Generator -> Energy Acceptor -> ME Cable, then tried Vibration Chamber -> ME Cable. Do I have to downgrade and use just quartz fiber? The accelerators stay as "Offline".

Edit: It was a power amount issue, the vibration chamber can only run one accelerator, and then they just all stay off. I must have skipped ahead to a modern power system before I did my 4-vibration chamber last time.

Devor fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 6, 2016

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bouchacha posted:

Is there any mod that replicates the functions of this website in-game? http://crafting-guide.com/craft/digital_miner

My least favorite part of minecraft by far is running around collecting ingredients then running back because you're short one redstone or some poo poo.

That's a neat little site. The crafting aspect of AE2 is a fun way of solving those issues, particularly if you use the crafting automation for commonly used items. If you set up ALL the sub-tasks, I think it will tell you what materials you're short on if you try to auto-craft the end result.

But to me, running around and fiddling about to create the inputs when you're short is pretty central to Minecraft gameplay. AE2 is nice that you can just shove all the pieces into one hungry maw, and let it sort out the rest.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

Doing cross breeding while i was waiting.

Ok so head to soy beans, get a cul generator up. plan for when i wake up :)

I did a bank of culinary generators in regular FTB Infinity Evolved, and it's a bit of a letdown with how overpoweredly efficient it is. Both growing the crops, and creating the culinary generators are relatively easy, and inherently infinite. You can fit a small farm of eggplant + garlic to make stuffed eggplants in one chunk, with a sprinkler system, and it's enough to feed culinary generators for an endgame Draconic Evolution-scale power system.

It's a good answer if you just want to force your way through things, but I think limiting your use of it just to have done it, and maybe jump start your industrial production, would be a better way to experience the pack.

Unless maybe FTB Skyblock nerfed everything to hell, I dunno.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

What can i use? for transport?

(the transfer node that i have making cobblestone. Does that move stuff around? all i know it does is make cobblestone)

The item transfer node, with world interaction upgrade to make infinite cobblestone? Yeah, when you attach one of those to a chest (don't need the upgrade) then it will constantly try to take items out of the chest, and push them into receiving inventories at the other end of the pipe.

If you want to do super low-tech, I think the FTB skyblock has those wooden pipes that need a redstone engine to power the 'pushing' of the pipe. I can never keep straight what mods the various things come from though.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I know nothing of the pack you are playing, but the general rule is it is better to have poo poo ducts now than waiting when it comes to power. The better ones you get later will connect to the junky ones, so you can put the old ones at the destinations, where they are drawing power for usually just one machine. I believe fluxducts have an upgrade path regardless.

Note that the interconnectivity is not true with EnderIO power conduits. The low/mid/high can only connect to the same type, and machines. You can get around it with capacitors as buffers, but you can usually progress to the top tier of power cable before you have more power needs than can be met by just surrounding your generator with machines.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

2. How do you people creating whither farms summon it blast-free? If mob griefing is off, it's not a big deal, but a blast otherwise looks like it will knock out autonomous activators if I use them to place the skulls.

Whenever I see twitch streamers do it, they build the Wither at the top of a big hollow blastproof tower, and it falls slowly as it counts down to becoming alive / blowing up. So it blows up down at the bottom in the blastproof room.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I guess you just mine far from the ship.

Does the digital miner accept inversion like that?

Pretty sure you can set minimum radius on the miner, so it doesn't eat your base if you set it up right there.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

Playing agraiian skies 2 on curse (or how ever you spell it)

And here are some of the things i like.

1 Mob spawns. Having some land already set up mean mobs are there at night. They only seem to have half health but i still need to run inside like a little bitch and block up the door way.

2 Mob AI. I set up my crop sticks and put my seeds in. Then ran inside as per item 1. I sat at the window watching 2 normal zombies and an angry zombie then crowd around and stomp the poo poo out of my little farm.

I think the neighbours heard me call them 'You mother fuckers!'

So once i get 8 cobble stone i am making a furnace and putting torches everywhere. Then and only then will i try to farm.

If you don't enjoy this, try disabling MobGriefing? Not sure if that's what did it for sure though

/gamerule mobGriefing false

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Anyone doing SkyFactory 2.5 know what machine/mod to use to auto harvest & replant Magic Crops? I know from listening to Wyld's development that some of the mods don't work with it, intentionally.

voltcatfish posted:

I'm assuming 1.9 is not a version to have if I want to mod the gently caress out of this game?

If you get the FTB launcher, it automatically uses the proper version of Minecraft for the modpack you select. It's very painless.

And yes, 1.9 was such a dramatic change in back-end stuff that most mods have not caught up with it yet.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

axelsoar posted:

Been trying to scratch the skyblock itch and I've been having some trouble on technic, the agrar skies 2 pack I had been using crashes whenever I try to run it, even after re-installing, and a lot of the packs I try to find off the website or in the search bar of the launcher don't download, what are folks doing for skyblock stuff right now?

Sky Factory 2.5 was just released on the FTB launcher, it's a kitchen sink-y skyblock with some effort to balance - Ex Nihilo doesn't make all the advanced alloys, for example.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

Ok. im playing ferret business (Fb from now on) and i pumped a tank of molten electric steel froma dimension, made a huge loving smelter and dropped it in. AND there is no rec for it to be turned into blocks or even ingots...

what do i need to go into to change that?

Also, how do i keep multiple dimensions alive? do i need a builder for every dimension?

You could just cheat yourself a stack of electrical steel blocks and delete all the molten stuff. You've earned it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

100% correct.

But the mobs that spawn after arent. Plus it has been happening well before any of this fight.

And no, no flames about anything that returns fire.

Is there some weird TInker's Construct mod on your bow or arrows that does damage to you as you use it?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Magres posted:

Haha I hadn't started playing Overwatch yet when I wrote that. I have since become horribly addicted to Tracer because BLINK BLINK BLINK shitshithshit REWIND is super fun.

Now I really want a mod that gives me Tracer's dashes

I was watching Wyld's stream of some modpack they were testing for one of the new Minecraft versions, and he had a slime slingshot that you held down and then let go to launch you in the opposite direction from where you were looking REALLY fast. He also had slime boots that let him bounce and keep momentum on falling from height. So he would line up where he was going, turn 180 degrees and look down, then cross his fingers that there wasn't lava at the end. Was very amusing to watch, in reality probably much more frustrating than flying. But neat overall.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Considering I'm running FTB Infinity Evolved, what is my best bet? I'm thinking it might be withers, but I've had a considerable amount of trouble getting wither farms performing reliably in the past and they can be extremely resource intensive and time consuming to ever attempt.

The generators that run on food - culinary generator and its upgrades - are very good for a renewable source of power. I ran a medium Ender Quarry off of a one-chunk garlic and eggplant farm to make stuffed eggplant. If you get fancier with your food, or have a larger farm, you can get pretty ridiculous with it. You do have a pretty hefty investment up front to make the higher tier generators.

To make farms more efficient, make sure to max out your plant using Agricraft breeding, and you can use Agricraft sprinklers covering the roof of your farm to speed things up dramatically.

I avoid using culinary gens because it's kind of like cheating. I prefer the aesthetic of having a resource like yellorium. When you're at the point of making ludicrous power, you can create mining dimensions to get enough yellorium to do whatever you need.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Also 64k drivers are overkill. Use 16k drives, and Deep Storage Units for things you need absolute massive quantities of.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

McFrugal posted:

You can actually use hoppers to "automate" inscribers if you rotate them.

Or an Item Conduit setup with filters is fun. I like to do it with distinct conduit 'networks' that are divded up, so roughly it goes:

Raw Inputs -> Basic Chips -> Intermediate Chest (completed basic chips plus raw redstone) -> Completed chips -> Pickup chest

Then a bunch of item filters so that each side only gets the right stuff.

Edit: Actually with item filters they probably don't need to be distinct at all

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Does anyone know how I'm supposed to get water in the super early game of Project Ozone 2? It doesn't seem to rain, so filling the barrels from rainwater doesn't seem to work. I eventually jush pushed through and made the Infinite Water block that fills adjacent machines' inventories with water, and used that to fill barrels to make clay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

OgNar posted:

Baby Stego

Anyone use Jurassicraft?

I cloned a Velociraptor before and kinda forgot about it and now its gone.
Do you need to feed these fuckers?

Just like all those lizards I had when i was a kid. 3 weeks later I look and they are dead.

e: Seems you can at least in later versions. Can find little info in 1.7.10 version though.

There were several of the youtube modpacks with Duncan et al that had it. I think Dinos had a tendency to grow enormous, clip through walls, and escape. And sometimes just clip through while still small. Feeding them was definitely also involved to prevent starving to death, although I think the cattle feeding machines worked for them.